Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 152120 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Making Contact
« Reply #805 on: September 27, 2020, 03:45:50 PM »
As they broke up, Paul took a couple songs, one of which would become So Long on Waysted's Save Your Prayers album, and Neil would take a couple of songs, including this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAchxN8QG2U

Yes, the Murder In The Skies riff was first played by...Paul Chapman!

Huh!!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #806 on: September 27, 2020, 04:32:32 PM »
Spinning Making Contact again in the car.  I really really like this album.

I will say, I may be enjoying it more than any other UFO album so far.   :blush

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #807 on: September 27, 2020, 04:34:41 PM »
I'm shocked, honestly. You just never know when something's gonna hit the spot.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #808 on: September 27, 2020, 05:06:22 PM »

I never understood why this album is so underated... anyway:
 :metal :metal :metal
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #809 on: September 27, 2020, 05:22:31 PM »

I'll expand my thoughts on this soon mate.  Just at work and have to process timesheets and a few other things.  it deserves explanation and it's in my head at the moment some words on why this might be the case.

On another note, that solo spot in You and Me tears my soul apart.  Chapman's use of delay with the keyboards and his subtle note selection is fucking incredible.  I'd like it to go longer but at the same time, the shortness of it excels it's epicness.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #810 on: September 27, 2020, 05:23:42 PM »

I never understood why this album is so underated... anyway:
 :metal :metal :metal

I was stunned by the comments regarding the album after hearing it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #811 on: September 27, 2020, 06:06:48 PM »
You And Me is a great song. It really highlights what is special about Phil Mogg. There's a certain level of believability in his voice.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #812 on: September 27, 2020, 06:16:45 PM »
By the way, my uptaded (during this listening party) ranking of UFO albums is:
OBSESSION (my favorite)/MECHANIX- 10+/10
FORCE IT/NO HEAVY PETTING/LIGHTS OUT/ THE WILD THE WILLING AND THE INNOCENT - 9,5
MAKING CONTACT/? - 9,0
PHENOMENON/? – 8,5
NO PLACE TO RUN/? – 8,0

But, not long ago, my ranking would be:
OBSESSION (my favorite)/LIGHTS OUT- 10+/10
THE WILD THE WILLING AND THE INNOCENT/MAKING CONTACT - 9,5
FORCE IT/NO HEAVY PETTING/ MECHANIX/? - 9,0
PHENOMENON/? – 8,5
NO PLACE TO RUN/? – 8,0

So, as we can see by the exchanges, in fact, from 9,0 to 10,0, are the UFO albums that I consider to be at a very close level.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #813 on: September 27, 2020, 07:03:14 PM »

I feel I need to expand on my thinking in regards to this.  I’ve never been a big old school rock fan.  Zeppelin, Kiss, Aerosmith, I just never really liked that style.  I always gravitated two ways, heavier, or more 80’s influenced.  The only old school bands I really got into were Priest and Sabbath.  Even when it came to Priest, I’d gravitate towards Turbo/RID as opposed to say Hell Bent For Leather, just for the style.  After discovering the staples, I moved to the more melodic death stuff, Soilwork, In Flames etc. but I also went into the melodic rock scene.  I was massive into early Frontiers releases.  Place Vendome, From the Inside, Allen/Lande, Bob Catley, Hardline, Eclipse, Sunstorm etc, you know, when everything was good.  So my tastes went those two ways.  I’ve always been a sucker for a lot of 80’s stuff and the sound.

So, even though a few of those older UFO albums, I guess the style was just never me.  When you started this thread Tim I was hesitant in going back and thought it may have been a chore going through these albums.  How wrong was I.  Again, the Shenker stuff is normally not my style, but I’ve been going back to NHP, Obsession, Force It and enjoying them more and more.  These albums are classic and I can hear the classic nature in them.  The first couple of Chapman albums I found a big step down.  I thought they really lost something when Shenker left.  However, the 80’s AOR tinge going on in Making Contact really appeals to me.  So it’s the styling of this compared to the Shenker stuff as to why I may enjoy this the most.  Liking the Shenker albums as much as I do know is massive.  I didn’t think I’d come around to them how I have.  I’m so glad they made an album like Making Contact though.  I hope that somewhat offers a bit more of an idea why I like this one.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #814 on: September 27, 2020, 07:13:53 PM »
Yeah, makes total sense.

Let's see if your love of 80's AOR helps you with their next album...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #815 on: September 27, 2020, 07:30:34 PM »
Yeah, makes total sense.

Look forward to it.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #816 on: September 27, 2020, 11:06:28 PM »

Michael's best foray into power pop would come on the next MSG album with a completely revamped band,

IMO, people should regret everything they say about Built To Destroy after hearing the next album. One of the most disappointing albums I have ever bought.

I might take a much more favorable view of the next album because it was more or less my introduction to MS, and it occupied a significant spot in my listening cycle at a time. Keep in mind that I come from a very rural area in Ohio, and at the time it was much more difficult to have a very broad musical pallet to work with prior to the internet age. I'm also a few years younger than some of you gents in this thread(I'm currently 47), so I would have been playing catch-up on several fronts.

When I first discovered MS I knew about Scorpions and learned a little bit about his relationship to the band, but I had absolutely no idea who UFO were.

Or I could just be making poor excuses for having crappy musical tastes...  :lol

I really do like the next album, though.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #817 on: September 28, 2020, 02:26:20 AM »
Yeah, makes total sense.

Can we just skip that one and go  to the one after? :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #818 on: September 28, 2020, 05:42:46 AM »
Can't get enough of You and Me.  So fucking moody and haunting.  Great storytelling too.  And I keep listening to that middle section over and over.  Almost brings tears to my eyes.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #819 on: September 28, 2020, 06:43:14 AM »
Can't get enough of You and Me.  So fucking moody and haunting.  Great storytelling too.  And I keep listening to that middle section over and over.  Almost brings tears to my eyes.

What? A big tough Aussie nearly brought to tears by a song? Say it isn't so  :lol

Is that why you listen to the growlie stuff? Scared to shed a tear?  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 06:50:09 AM by Lowdz »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #820 on: September 28, 2020, 07:17:07 AM »

Michael's best foray into power pop would come on the next MSG album with a completely revamped band,

IMO, people should regret everything they say about Built To Destroy after hearing the next album. One of the most disappointing albums I have ever bought.

I might take a much more favorable view of the next album because it was more or less my introduction to MS, and it occupied a significant spot in my listening cycle at a time.

Jason, you'll have to have a song by song ready for us to try and convince me.  ;D
You have a few days..

Reading that almost brings tears to my eyes! ;D

Yeah, makes total sense.

Can we just skip that one and go  to the one after? :biggrin:

Skip Misdemeanor and go right to Ain't Misbehavin'? You crazy bruh?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #821 on: September 28, 2020, 07:26:50 AM »
Sorry Tim. I got my wires crossed and was thinking we were talking McAuley Schenker - It was the reference to 80s AOR that confused me.

I love Misdemeanour. Never heard Ain't Misbehavin'.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #822 on: September 28, 2020, 07:30:06 AM »

A couple releases in 1984.....

Waysted were offered the opening slot on Iron Maiden's UK Powerslave leg. Pete quickly scrambled a new lineup together which included Andy Parker, and new guitarist Neil Shepard to record an EP to support for the tour. Right after it was recorded, Paul Chapman replaced Shepard.

I personally love this EP and played the thing to death. It kicks total ass if you ask me. The Spotify link has 5 live tracks which I believe are from a Kerrang Weekend show. It's not great quality, nor is it the same as the live release.

This EP makes me want to roll my windows down and BLAST IT!!

Waysted did, however, release You Won't Get Out Alive, recorded in Cardiff on the Iron Maiden tour. So you basically have UFO-Way/Parker/Chapman- with Fin.

Here is a soundcloud link. It's not on Spotify or youtube.
https://soundcloud.com/user-842225265-104214575/sets/you-wont-get-out-alive

And to reiterate....I LOVE THE WAYSTED EP. LOVE IT!! It was great to see Andy Parker show up on it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rock Will Never Die

Released June 1984
Recorded October 22-23, 1983
Hammersmith

Captain Nemo
Rock My Nights Away
Are You Ready to Rock
Cry for the Nations
Rock You to the Ground
Attack of the Mad Axeman
Into the Arena
Courvoisier Concerto
Rock Will Never Die
Desert Song
I'm Gonna Make You Mine
Red Sky
Looking for Love
Armed and Ready
Doctor Doctor"

Michael Schenker-Guitar
Gary Barden-Vocals
Chris Glen-Bass
Ted McKenna-Drums
Derek St. Homes-Guiter/Vocals
Andy Nye-Keyboards

MSG would close out their Classic period by issuing Rock Will Never Die, recorded in Lindon in October 1983. The band at this point includes full time keyboard player Andy Nye and guitarist vocalist Derek St. Holmes, formerly of Ted Nugent's band.

The track listing is that of the 2009 Remaster, that almost doubles the original track listing.

Here is the VHS version Paul speaks about..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7aeJyPQwww&t=1s
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 07:39:48 AM by TAC »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #823 on: September 28, 2020, 07:31:09 AM »
Sorry Tim. I got my wires crossed and was thinking we were talking McAuley Schenker - It was the reference to 80s AOR that confused me.

I love Misdemeanour. Never heard Ain't Misbehavin'.

Oh OK. That makes sense. I thought you liked Misdemeanor.

And yes, the second McCauley Schenker is much better.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #824 on: September 28, 2020, 07:33:57 AM »
Yeah, my vinyl of RWND is only half that length and I've never ought the extended version. i will have to put that right. There is a video on youtube from the VHS of that album. Well worth a watch. A very good live album that one.

Never heard the Waysted. Will get onto it.

And the UFO guys have been pretty incestuous over  the years. They obviously enjoy playing together but can't seem to keep it together.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #825 on: September 28, 2020, 07:40:24 AM »
Yeah, my vinyl of RWND is only half that length and I've never ought the extended version. i will have to put that right. There is a video on youtube from the VHS of that album. Well worth a watch. A very good live album that one.

Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7aeJyPQwww&t=1s

I also added it to the above post.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Mechanix
« Reply #826 on: September 28, 2020, 08:20:29 AM »

Barden did a video for Dancer in what looks like the same session.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xag_iuE7LKo

I don't really mind Dancer. It's not great, but it never really bothered me.

I like Barden's version WAY better. 

But... how did that girl manage to be both hot AF and creepy AF in the same video?  :) :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #827 on: September 28, 2020, 08:39:09 AM »
Did the songs from the first four MSG albums get much in the way of mainstream radio play? I know later in the decade with “Anytime” there was lots of radio attention but the first four MSG albums just give off a bit of an underground vibe. But at the same time I could still see some songs appealing to the masses.

I can honestly say, I have never heard an MSG song on the radio, ever.  (I grew up in the 80's in the northeast of the United States, not far from TAC, as it happens).   I listened to a lot of radio around the mid, late 80's into the 90's, and ... nothing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #828 on: September 28, 2020, 08:48:25 AM »
UFO with Yngwie??

Imagine Yngwie with UFO? Well, seems Yngwie and Phil Mogg at least had a meeting..

Yngwie:
"..I started creating a big buzz around LA. Everyone was talking about me, 'oh this kids playing like no one else'. A lot of people were blown away So I had a lot of people come check me out....
...And Phil Mogg from UFO was there. And Phil Said 'I'm trying to reform UFO, are you interested?'. And I'm like Yeah, fuck yeah I love UFO,. I thought they were great. And he says come over to my house tomorrow.
I got a call in the morning from Graham Bonnet's manager, and he said to come down and check this out. So I had to choose between Phil Mogg and Graham Bonnet the same day. So I went down to play with Alcatrazz...they liked me a lot and I liked them.
But I went to see Phil Mogg, and he was at the time, really drugged out or something. I don't know the story. But he definitely seemed like someone I couldn't work with."

Phil:
"(I) went back to the states for a chat with guitarists like Steve Stevens, Steve Vai, and Yngwie Malmsteen. Or rather, Yngwie had a chat with me (laughs). He wouldn't have been such a good bet for collaboration."*

*Quotes taken from Martin Popoff's Shoot Out The Lights.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #829 on: September 28, 2020, 09:12:03 AM »
I’ve never listened to the McAuley Schenker albums in their entirety, but have been familiar with the singles. From what some of you were saying, the first one sounded weak. But I’m listening to Perfect Timing right now and it’s obviously not amazing, but sounds like good solid AOR hair metal. I definitely like it, and I would think it would be right up Paul’s alley. I always liked Gimme Your Love. No complaints from me listening to Perfect Timing but I can totally see Tim hating this 😂

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #830 on: September 28, 2020, 09:14:49 AM »
Jason, give that Waysted EP a spin.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #831 on: September 28, 2020, 09:33:35 AM »
I’ve never listened to the McAuley Schenker albums in their entirety, but have been familiar with the singles. From what some of you were saying, the first one sounded weak. But I’m listening to Perfect Timing right now and it’s obviously not amazing, but sounds like good solid AOR hair metal. I definitely like it, and I would think it would be right up Paul’s alley. I always liked Gimme Your Love. No complaints from me listening to Perfect Timing but I can totally see Tim hating this 😂

Gimme Your Love was the best song on the first one. Not much stood out after that but it was ok. A non metal fan friend of mine at the time absolutely loved it - probably says it all.

The follow up was much better. i have only heard the third album once on Youtube so will have to revisit that.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #832 on: September 28, 2020, 09:34:04 AM »
Jason, give that Waysted EP a spin.

Listening to that too.  That Wolf song from the first Waysted was  :metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #833 on: September 28, 2020, 09:50:32 AM »
I'm enjoying the Waysted ep. Finn's voice is a bit rougher, which I don't like as much as the first album, but the songs are better.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #834 on: September 28, 2020, 09:52:58 AM »
Yeah, Fin's voice was really well produced on Vices.
But these tunes kick ass!

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #835 on: September 28, 2020, 09:55:45 AM »
Waysted EP completely slipped me by back in the day, which is a shame as hearing it now, it carries on the blueprint set by Vices only a little more refined (for want of a better description). Also with the addition of Tonka and Parker, it’s a bit closer to what UFO seemingly moved away from.

Won’t Get Out Alive… Starting off with a riff reminiscent of Shoot Shoot, and Parker more solid than Frank Noone, this song makes its point as an opener. Fin joins in sounding more like Dan McCafferty this time. Chapman solo brings more familiarity. Short and (not) sweet. Yes.

The Price You Pay… Initially seemingly has Parker reprising his Couldn’t Get It Right licks, but the song soon becomes typical Waysted with a catchy chorus. Midway, the tempo slows and Fin tries his Mogg crooning accompanied by tasteful Chapman, but it picks up again to finish with a blistering Chapman outro.

Rock Steady… Could be another UFO intro. More tuneful than the previous two cuts, I really like this.

Hurt So Good… A slower tune, reminiscent of Morning Dew at the beginning, but a good one, with Fin doing another Dan McCafferty.

Cinderella Boys… Rather bluesy with an initially sinister speaking Fin vocal. This reminds me of ZZ Top in a good way, before picking up the tempo. Chapman reminds us why he’s really no slouch halfway through, before it becomes bluesy again. Another really good song.

This EP may not be quite as raucous as Vices. It’s slightly more polished, but without losing much of the edge from that LP, and with Leo Lyons, perhaps a little more what Pete Way was trying to get back to. However, because of that, it’s slightly down on the fun factor too. Still a good collection of songs though.

Jumping ahead slightly, I found this EP again tagged onto the end of the the next album together with a sixth song... Ball and Chain... It's terrific, but doesn't really fit with the EP original, certainly a different singer. What's the story here Tim?
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #836 on: September 28, 2020, 10:04:57 AM »
That's actually the CD version that I have. That's Fin on Ball And Change.

Pretty sure that's a non album track from TGTBTW sessions. Definitely sounds like Jerry Shirley and Chapman on it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: September 28, 2020, 10:10:28 AM »
I'm enjoying the Waysted ep. Finn's voice is a bit rougher, which I don't like as much as the first album, but the songs are better.

I liked it too. Only 24 minutes but petal to the metal down and dirty rock. Price you Pay and Cinderella Boys are the stand outs

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #838 on: September 28, 2020, 10:13:21 AM »

I liked it too. Only 24 minutes but petal to the metal down and dirty rock. Price you Pay and Cinderella Boys are the stand outs

I love that EP. Love it. Picture a 15 y/o TAC rocking out on his drums to it everyday! It's just one of those things, like the second MSG album, in that whatever band I'm into at the moment, or whatever mood I'm in, they are always welcomed listens.

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #839 on: September 28, 2020, 10:21:18 AM »
That's actually the CD version that I have. That's Fin on Ball And Change.

Pretty sure that's a non album track from TGTBTW sessions. Definitely sounds like Jerry Shirley and Chapman on it.

OK I am jumping ahead then. Fin definitely sounds different.
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer