Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 143315 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The original MSG album did have a poor sound. The songs were better put together and sounded fuller, especially compared to the first album, but sonically, it had kind of a flat or slightly muffled sound.
The 2009 Remaster clears that up big time.

Yes, they added Cozy Powell's solo and Tales Of Mystery on the Remastered Budokan.

I guess i need to come here every day if I want to keep up with this thread. :lol

It is, after all, a Listening Party, so come in when you can and leave when you must. It's an open door for everyone!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The original MSG album did have a poor sound. The songs were better put together and sounded fuller, especially compared to the first album, but sonically, it had kind of a flat or slightly muffled sound.
The 2009 Remaster clears that up big time.

Yes, they added Cozy Powell's solo and Tales Of Mystery on the Remastered Budokan.

I guess i need to come here every day if I want to keep up with this thread. :lol

It is, after all, a Listening Party, so come in when you can and leave when you must. It's an open door for everyone!

Tim is an extremely respectful host.  Tim might be strict, but respects everyones UFO/MSG listening.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

That's a bit unfair.  There isn't a new album being listened to every single day.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

That's a bit unfair.  There isn't a new album being listened to every single day.

As long as Zoomer is rocking, all good

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Listened to TWTWTI a couple more times and this is a really nice album.  Long Gone, It's Killing Me and Makin' Moves are really mature, really nice songs.  Paul's solo in Moves is excellent.

I'm not sure what Shenker die hards thought about Chapman, but sounds like Shenker was very indulgent in making old UFO very lead guitar heavy.  It's true, the Shenker magic is missing the last two albums but that's hardly Chapman's fault.  It just seems the songwriting style shifted.  Violence obviously does reek of classic UFO though.  That's a great solo.  Paul's little section at 3:25 is simply a wonderful lick.  Would be interesting to hear Shenker on this.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Listened to TWTWTI a couple more times and this is a really nice album.  Long Gone, It's Killing Me and Makin' Moves are really mature, really nice songs.  Paul's solo in Moves is excellent.

I'm not sure what Shenker die hards thought about Chapman, but sounds like Shenker was very indulgent in making old UFO very lead guitar heavy.  It's true, the Shenker magic is missing the last two albums but that's hardly Chapman's fault.  It just seems the songwriting style shifted.  Violence obviously does reek of classic UFO though.  That's a great solo.  Paul's little section at 3:25 is simply a wonderful lick.  Would be interesting to hear Schenker on this.

That's awesome. I was concerned because I know you were really impressed with Schenker. I'm glad you are able to appreciate the Chapman Era so far. WWI is a top UFO album for me. It's really consistent, and the band is still going strong.

And Schenker on profession Of Violence? That would slay! But it's Paul Chapman's finest moment.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni

I'm not sure what Shenker die hards thought about Chapman, but sounds like Shenker was very indulgent in making old UFO very lead guitar heavy. It's true, the Shenker magic is missing the last two albums but that's hardly Chapman's fault.  It just seems the songwriting style shifted.  Violence obviously does reek of classic UFO though.  That's a great solo.  Paul's little section at 3:25 is simply a wonderful lick.  Would be interesting to hear Shenker on this.

I came here to write the bolded part.  :tup :tup

Oh, on the subject of pace of updates. You do what you want, buddy. I was teasing you about the pace because you specifically called me out in reply 589. It's not your fault that I don't have the time to listen or the inclination to comment more often. You're doing a fantastic job with this. Follow your instincts.

I promise you, I'm very interested in following along when I can. Past Mechanix, I'm pretty clueless about UFO (other than Walk on Water, of course).

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 06:04:14 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I'm not sure what Shenker die hards thought about Chapman, but sounds like Shenker was very indulgent in making old UFO very lead guitar heavy.  It's true, the Shenker magic is missing the last two albums but that's hardly Chapman's fault.  It just seems the songwriting style shifted.  Violence obviously does reek of classic UFO though.  That's a great solo.  Paul's little section at 3:25 is simply a wonderful lick.  Would be interesting to hear Schenker on this.

That's awesome. I was concerned because I know you were really impressed with Schenker. I'm glad you are able to appreciate the Chapman Era so far. WWI is a top UFO album for me. It's really consistent, and the band is still going strong.

And Schenker on profession Of Violence? That would slay! But it's Paul Chapman's finest moment.

I can see why.  It's an album of great sounding songs and the band just doing what they feel at the time.  It's kind of it's own thing without trying to be anything in the past if that makes sense.  I get the consistency.  It sounds like one of those albums that doesn't have a lot of top groundbreaking songs but a collection of songs that all work really well together in an album context and flow perfectly well together.

I'm actually impressed they didn't try and replace Shenker and have Paul overstate everything.  There's no show off moments for him or the band trying to throw leads in just for the sake of it to try and show they don't need Shenker or something.  Shows the maturity of the musicians.  But yeah, that POV solo is just brilliant.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I'm not sure what Shenker die hards thought about Chapman, but sounds like Shenker was very indulgent in making old UFO very lead guitar heavy. It's true, the Shenker magic is missing the last two albums but that's hardly Chapman's fault.  It just seems the songwriting style shifted.  Violence obviously does reek of classic UFO though.  That's a great solo.  Paul's little section at 3:25 is simply a wonderful lick.  Would be interesting to hear Shenker on this.

I came here to write the bolded part.  :tup :tup

Oh, on the subject of pace of updates. You do what you want, buddy. I was teasing you about the pace because you specifically called me out in reply 589. It's not your fault that I don't have the time to listen or the inclination to comment more often. You're doing a fantastic job with this. Follow your instincts.

I promise you, I'm very interested in following along when I can. Past Mechanix, I'm pretty clueless about UFO (other than Walk on Water, of course).

Oh I hope you didn't take it as calling you out. I meant it that I wanted to hear your perspective. I really didn't want to move on without hearing from you. That's all. :)

Definitely don't disappear after Mechanix. There's tons of great stuff coming. Walk On Water, of course, but Schenker would return for three albums.

All of the album links are in the OP, so I absolutely encourage listening ahead when possible.

OK, and with that....

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Mechanix

Mechanix (1982)

Released February 1982

1. The Writer
2. Somethin' Else
3. Back Into My Life
4. You'll Get Love
5. Doing It All For You
6. We Belong To The Night
7. Let It Rain
8. Terri
9. Feel It
10. Dreaming

Phil Mogg-Vocals
Paul Chapman-Guitar
Pete Way- Bass
Andy Parker-Drums
Neil Carter-Keyboards/Guitar/Sax

Mechanix was produced by Gary Lyons, who had worked with both Queen and Foreigner. Whereas the band needed a break to recharge, Chrysalis expected another album. The band was short on material, but wrote it in the studio. While it was Pete's idea to cover Somethin' Else, he calls it "dreadful" featuring "Neil Carter on his bloody saxophone". Pete is especially critical of the direction of this album, though I find it ironic that Back Into My Life, one of the mellower tunes on the album is his.

UFO was given a great slot, opening for Ozzy on his Diary Of A Madman tour. UFO was, in fact, on tour with Ozzy when Randy Rhoads was killed. I remember the Ozzy/UFO show coming to Providence in early April, but I was still over a year away from seeing my first concert.

Let It Rain promo video
Back Into My Life promo video
Let It Rain Live at the BBC
We Belong To The Night Live at the BBC

Hammersmith 1-28-82
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFHRxv3iZu0&list=PLM0QWHFvEjTY5mm0JhnTCA2SpB-oaRVF2

There are two shows from this tour on the Live Sightings Box Set, St. Louis and Cleveland
https://open.spotify.com/album/17Z961Iv7zLhBJd0S4JEq7?si=Fz3fvNjOSK2Ix-Skz5jabQ

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The lead single Let It Rain, included a non album track as a b side. The track is Heel Of A Stranger.

So this post is for Stadler, because for some odd reason  ;D he rates this song quite high.

I found this 12" single in a used record shop on Newbury Street in Boston in 1987.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Mechanix
« Reply #641 on: September 23, 2020, 07:08:00 AM »
Listened to MSG a couple of times this morning. My impressions at the time of release, was that musically and performance wise, this is a great album. The lyrics, vocals, and production was off putting enough to make it mediocre. I see no reason to change that opinion now. I'll have to give the win to WWI.

Admittedly, some of my problem with this album was that my tastes had strayed into heavier and more varied music.

BTW, I think the rough monitor mix of Never Trust A Stranger on the deluxe version of the album is way better than what we eventually got.

Hot take: I've never understood the near universal admiration for Cozy Powell. :yawn:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #642 on: September 23, 2020, 07:12:34 AM »
Damn that is a Hot Take! :lol

Gregg, 1981 is my all time favorite year of music. Another album I played the hell out of was Def Leppard's High n Dry. I still feel like it's a masterpiece. That's a great album, and at the time, I listened to it constantly.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #643 on: September 23, 2020, 07:16:12 AM »
I've been posting some live links for the last three albums.
Obviously, Love To Love was not made for Paul Chapman, but I feel the live versions of some of the other tracks like Too Hot, Shoot Shoot, and the Obsession material really become a whole new animal with Chapman. There's a rocking rowdiness about them.

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #644 on: September 23, 2020, 07:38:17 AM »
It goes to show how far off my radar One Night At Budokan had fallen when I last night incorrectly referred to it as Live At... spinning it tonight I thought how the f*** counld it have been so long?! When I bought (on UK release), it immediately became one of my favourites. Reaching the top 5, it outperformed SITN (7) and contains better versions of both studio albums' tracks at the time, including Never Trust A Stranger. Two things struck me then: 1. How upfront Cozy Powell's drums are 2. There are far more girls in the audience than I noticed on other live albums, or indeed gigs that I had been to in that era  :laugh:

Whilst these two points may still hold true, listening to ONAB tonight, it was also good to hear how MS and Paul Raymond complemented each other. Likewise with Chris Glen, particularly on Lost Horizons. Also, Gary Bardens seemed to occasionally scream and shout but not to the point of being offputting. I don't think I will be leaving it so long before playing again although I know it won't replace SITN or Blackfoot's Highwaysong Live as my live GOAT... it's not too far away though.
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #645 on: September 23, 2020, 07:49:12 AM »
So......  Mechanix.    Now, I got into UFO with the two Chrysalis compilations (each with five albums, one with Schenker and one with Chapman and Atomik Tommy M).   They are a complilation, so each disk has an album - or part of an album - and something else (live tracks, b-sides).  For some reason, on the second set, Mechanix and the b-side are their own CD.

So I put on the CD and heard that opening riff to "The Writer" and it was all downhill from there.   I love that riff, and I love that song.  Second or third favorite on the record.    I'll say this now, but I'll repeat it later too:   this is Phil Mogg's best LYRICAL album if you ask me.  Every song is a story, every song has a meaning, and every song is just wierd enough to be Phil without getting into "what the FUCK is he talking about?" territory.  REALLY strong lyrically if you ask me.  Second, the difference for me between Schenker and Chapman is that Chapman does a way better job of setting up his solos; the solo breaks either have a different rhythm, or there's something interesting going in or coming out of the solo.  They seem more a part of the song than some of Schenker's.  I still think Michael is the better player, but I also don't think the gap is that great (the comp has a live version of Love To Love with Chapman that just SLAYS).

The Writer:  nuff said.

Somethin' Else:  Eddie Cochran, and the second Eddie Cochran song they covered (C'mon Everybody, off the very first record, was the first). I like it.  It's a bit out of place on the record, but it's not as bad as it could have been.    Full disclosure: with a few expections - Baker Street for one, Billy Joel another - I dislike saxophone in rock.  I don't get it, I don't think it's "cool" or "party" and usually ignore it.  But there's a sound or a treatment on the sax on this record and I kind of dig it (like on the ending of "The Writer".  It's on about three or four songs.

Back Into My Life:  "It's another night, out on the avenue"; Phil is like the Bruce Springsteen of British hard rock.  Haha.  I love his stories and the way his lyrics are so... lyrical.  They suck you in and as I've said, there's enough there that there's a payoff for the story.   I like this song a lot, though with a heavy rocker, a 50's cover, and this ballad, the album is off to an uncertain start; which way is it going to go?

You'll Get Love: We have our answer; heavy, hard rock.   Like most of the rest of the songs on this album, they start off unassuming, rock, but have a twist.   I LOVE LOVE LOVE that riff in the chorus; so heavy, and so appropriate to the sort of creepy and sinister angle to the lyrics.  This is a good example of what I mean by the solos; it starts off with the verse background, but he keeps soloing while the band kicks into the chorus and it's the perfect cap to the solo.  The notes themselves are not up to Schenker's par, but the whole bit is almost necessary to the song. 

Doing It All For You:  More Mogg creepiness, but it fits the music almost perfectly.  The intro and the verse sounds almost like Priest from Sad Wings of Destiny, but mid-verse the tempo picks up and the song kicks into high gear, only to slow back down - in a very different way - for the chorus.  This is an amazing song, and an amazingly crafted song.   This is not a 12-bar blues with a chorus.    Again the solo is played over a completely different part, a rhythm we haven't heard before, but before Chapman is done, we cut back into the chorus, and it's almost a perfect segue for Mogg's vocal (and some new keyboards).  Then after the chorus, an outro solo over another, different background with keyboards more prominent.    This is an epic, in my view, and the strongest song on the main album.

Honestly, at this point I can't believe they were "short of material" and "wrote this in the studio".   I know they did (I think Mogg says as much in the liner notes to the compilation it's on) but that is so amazing to me.  These are not songs dashed off; there's a lot of thought and design in them and that's a big part of why I like them (reminds me of Randy's Ozzy in that way).

We Belong To The Night:  The only song I really don't care for much; I think it's a let down from what came before (thankfully it picks back up).  It's not a BAD song, another good story from Phil, but it doesn't have the variety and the unpredictability of the rest of the material.  It almost seems like an interlude, or a "programmed", "hey this will go over great live as an encore!" stab at something.

Let It Rain:  Thankfully, we're back after a short break.    I love everything about this song; the intro, the little brief solo before the verse, and the way Phil sets the whole story with "Two lovers in a desperate game!"   No joke, even though this sounds silly, he has the BEST first lines on on this album.  EVERY lyric has a first line that grabs me and sucks me into the story.   The chorus is a bit lighter than some of the darker stuff here, but it's catchy and it fits Phil's voice almost perfectly.   Good melody without really exposing his limitations (range).   Another Chapman solo that almost sneaks it's way in, half mid-verse fill and half full-on solo.

Terri:  I'd pay hard money to listen to Phil sing this in a small smoky club.  Lyrically it's bleak, but Phil's performance here carries the song.  Again, another solo break from out in left field that fits back into the song (in the form of the chorus) perfectly.    I love Chapman's fills on this song.  I daresay he does that as well if not better than Michael.  Little hits and runs that elevate the song and reinforce what Phil is singing about (listen to the last chorus; the way Chapman underlines "everyone laughing at me".)

Feel It:  I love this song.   It almost has that weird feel of "On With The Action" the way he sings the chorus, but it's not as jarring and it words.    Great legato playing by Chapman in the part immediately following the chorus where he lays down a sort of foundation for Phil's vocals (the "ooh ooh, it's a love that makes you burn" part).    Then the bridge that leads from the legato part immediately into the solo.   Another solo that starts off with the verse rhythm and takes you somewhere else, leading into that "ooh ooh" part, not the chorus. 

Dreaming:  A good closer; nothing really to say here that hasn't been said already, just done really really well.  This might be Chapman's best "fast" solo on the main record, though.   I love the outro, with the backing vocals, so dreamlike and evocative. 

Heel Of A Stranger:  The b-side, and my favorite song from the whole package.  It helps (hurts?) that the lyrics have a certain relevance to me, but I just love the way the music seems to run counter to lyrical message (happy upbeat music with saxophone, depressing lyrics) but still highlighting them and elevating them.  The promise of both wonder and pain in "I was 17 and I thought you were one in a million!"....    makes it that much more powerful when Phil sings "I saw the signs, but not the danger"; he projects that sort of wistful regret that I know I've felt before.   Who hasn't gone through a relationship, and in the burning wreckage of it's end, realized that they should have seen it all coming?  That all the signs were there?  Add to that a chorus that just sticks in my head like glue (I was literally singing it all morning this morning even before I knew that Tim had posted this album), and another KILLER Chapman solo (his best in the package for me) and this is perhaps my favorite UFO song (or at least top three).   

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: September 23, 2020, 07:52:35 AM »
I've been posting some live links for the last three albums.
Obviously, Love To Love was not made for Paul Chapman, but I feel the live versions of some of the other tracks like Too Hot, Shoot Shoot, and the Obsession material really become a whole new animal with Chapman. There's a rocking rowdiness about them.

On the comp I have, there's a live show from February 4, 1980, and Chapman acquits himself nicely on the Schenker material, including Love To Love.  No, it's not the same, but it's way better than it has any right to be. 

Is the "Live Sightings" box the same as the Official Bootleg box?   Are these worth it (I know I ordered the Strangers set when you posted the link).

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #647 on: September 23, 2020, 08:06:52 AM »
Damn that is a Hot Take! :lol

Gregg, 1981 is my all time favorite year of music. Another album I played the hell out of was Def Leppard's High n Dry. I still feel like it's a masterpiece. That's a great album, and at the time, I listened to it constantly.

Yeah, I was way more into High n' Dry than UFO/MSG at this point.

Also, I must point out that by this time I'd knocked up my girlfriend, got married, and had a baby daughter to look after (she just turned 40 last month!) Needless to say, my focus was elsewhere and my music money was precious. I only bought albums that really resonated with my tastes.

Firing up One Night... right now.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #648 on: September 23, 2020, 08:11:51 AM »
Is the "Live Sightings" box the same as the Official Bootleg box?   Are these worth it (I know I ordered the Strangers set when you posted the link).

The Live Sightings is totally different than the Official Box set.

The Live Sightings shows are:
Chicago 1980
Chicago 1981
St, Louis 1982
Cleveland 1982

and for some strange reason a show from 1972 with Larry Wallis..

On the Official Bootleg Box Set, there are two Chapman shows, but they are both Hammersmith shows. '81 and '82. The '82 Hammersmith show has also been released as Regenerator Live.

To me, Live Sightings is a MUST HAVE. I bought the mp3's years ago. I kind of regret not buying the hard copy, but I listen to those shows all the time.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #649 on: September 23, 2020, 08:14:13 AM »
Also, I must point out that by this time I'd knocked up my girlfriend, got married, and had a baby daughter to look after (she just turned 40 last month!) Needless to say, my focus was elsewhere and my music money was precious. I only bought albums that really resonated with my tastes.

Wow Gregg. You guys were pretty young, huh?

I'm sure it wasn't easy, but hell, you worked it out, man. :tup

Offline Lowdz

I was no guitar expert when Chapman joined, but I certainly didn't really think the playing wasn't any good. There was a change in style, certainly, but the lack of Schenker didn't put me off, and when I got into UFO he had already gone.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #651 on: September 23, 2020, 08:27:27 AM »
The pace is fine for me so far but I am very familiar with th ese albums. As we go on, I will be listening to things I've never heard and some only heard in the last couple of weeks. Looking forward to that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #652 on: September 23, 2020, 08:39:55 AM »
I don't think I will be leaving it so long before playing again although I know it won't replace SITN or Blackfoot's Highwaysong Live as my live GOAT... it's not too far away though.

Love me some Blackfoot.

Scanned this in from my Piece Of Mind tour program.

There may be a Blackfoot feature in the next thread I'm considering.

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #653 on: September 23, 2020, 10:13:52 AM »
There may be a Blackfoot feature in the next thread I'm considering.

Hell yeah!!

Mechanix was the first UFO album I, or any of my friends, didn't buy on release since Obsession. Someone brought Let It Rain to a party one night, and later on I heard The Writer on a pub jukebox, so then I got it and was happy I did so. It had a harder edge again than TWTWATI, but the writing also seemed to be a bit different. However I enjoyed Mechanix in the main apart from a few songs, but it didn't quite seem as solid as the previous platter. I have played it occasionally over the years but nowhere near as much as LO, Obsession, SITN or WWI.

So to tonight and not much has changed in my opinion. There are some terrific songs: Doing It All For You is top drawer UFO with a bit of a twist. The Writer has balls and is quite different for the band. Feel It is classic Pete way writing, Dreaming, We Belong...
Unfortunately Terri and Back Into My Life seem to be where the cracks were maybe starting to show; not up the standards of Try Me or Profession of Violence. Then... Something Else, almost a nod to the Sex Pistols maybe urged by Way, but it's not really welcome.

Overall probably UFOs second best Chapman album, but with hindsight, the future maybe starting to look grim.
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #654 on: September 23, 2020, 10:36:36 AM »
Back in the day I found the production on Mechanix to be a bit harsh, but on my CD remaster it sounds great. Songwise, the songs are solid but there is nothing that stands out to me.

TAC, regarding your comment about the 2009 remaster of the MSG album, I will see if  can track down a copy. I never did get the early MSG albums on CD. I still just have my worn out vinyl copies.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: September 23, 2020, 10:56:25 AM »
I'm playing One Night At Budokan.... WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than I remember (and it wasn't exactly bad then).    I have the 2009 remasters (though my MSG and Rock Will Never Die are Japanese remasters from ... probably the same year).   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #656 on: September 23, 2020, 11:27:13 AM »

TAC, regarding your comment about the 2009 remaster of the MSG album, I will see if  can track down a copy. I never did get the early MSG albums on CD. I still just have my worn out vinyl copies.

It's on Spotify. Oddly, I'm having trouble finding it on Amazon. Every other one is one there...

I'm playing One Night At Budokan.... WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than I remember (and it wasn't exactly bad then). 

:metal

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #657 on: September 23, 2020, 11:45:03 AM »
I love Mechanix. It has 4 songs that are incredible openings and closers (on vinyl original A/B sides). There’s a very balanced participation in the compositions of Chapman, Way and Carter, which I personally found an excellent addition. It has more guitar layers in the arrangements and the keyboards tones are very cool. Let it Rain is very commercial, but in a good way, and there’s excellent ballads like Back Into my Life and Terri. Even Something Else, although a bit strange, I like it a lot. Because all of that, it’s my second favorite UFO album.

OBSESSION (my favorite)/MECHANIX- 10+/10
FORCE IT/NO HEAVY PETTING/LIGHTS OUT/ THE WILD THE WILLING AND THE INNOCENT - 9,5
?/? - 9,0
PHENOMENON/? – 8,5
NO PLACE TO RUN/? – 8,0

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 01:18:55 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #658 on: September 23, 2020, 12:10:14 PM »
So......  Mechanix.    Now, I got into UFO with the two Chrysalis compilations (each with five albums, one with Schenker and one with Chapman and Atomik Tommy M).   They are a complilation, so each disk has an album - or part of an album - and something else (live tracks, b-sides).  For some reason, on the second set, Mechanix and the b-side are their own CD.

So I put on the CD and heard that opening riff to "The Writer" and it was all downhill from there.   I love that riff, and I love that song.  Second or third favorite on the record.    I'll say this now, but I'll repeat it later too:   this is Phil Mogg's best LYRICAL album if you ask me.  Every song is a story, every song has a meaning, and every song is just wierd enough to be Phil without getting into "what the FUCK is he talking about?" territory.  REALLY strong lyrically if you ask me.  Second, the difference for me between Schenker and Chapman is that Chapman does a way better job of setting up his solos; the solo breaks either have a different rhythm, or there's something interesting going in or coming out of the solo.  They seem more a part of the song than some of Schenker's.  I still think Michael is the better player, but I also don't think the gap is that great (the comp has a live version of Love To Love with Chapman that just SLAYS).

The Writer:  nuff said.

Somethin' Else:  Eddie Cochran, and the second Eddie Cochran song they covered (C'mon Everybody, off the very first record, was the first). I like it.  It's a bit out of place on the record, but it's not as bad as it could have been.    Full disclosure: with a few expections - Baker Street for one, Billy Joel another - I dislike saxophone in rock.  I don't get it, I don't think it's "cool" or "party" and usually ignore it.  But there's a sound or a treatment on the sax on this record and I kind of dig it (like on the ending of "The Writer".  It's on about three or four songs.

Back Into My Life:  "It's another night, out on the avenue"; Phil is like the Bruce Springsteen of British hard rock.  Haha.  I love his stories and the way his lyrics are so... lyrical.  They suck you in and as I've said, there's enough there that there's a payoff for the story.   I like this song a lot, though with a heavy rocker, a 50's cover, and this ballad, the album is off to an uncertain start; which way is it going to go?

You'll Get Love: We have our answer; heavy, hard rock.   Like most of the rest of the songs on this album, they start off unassuming, rock, but have a twist.   I LOVE LOVE LOVE that riff in the chorus; so heavy, and so appropriate to the sort of creepy and sinister angle to the lyrics.  This is a good example of what I mean by the solos; it starts off with the verse background, but he keeps soloing while the band kicks into the chorus and it's the perfect cap to the solo.  The notes themselves are not up to Schenker's par, but the whole bit is almost necessary to the song. 

Doing It All For You:  More Mogg creepiness, but it fits the music almost perfectly.  The intro and the verse sounds almost like Priest from Sad Wings of Destiny, but mid-verse the tempo picks up and the song kicks into high gear, only to slow back down - in a very different way - for the chorus.  This is an amazing song, and an amazingly crafted song.   This is not a 12-bar blues with a chorus.    Again the solo is played over a completely different part, a rhythm we haven't heard before, but before Chapman is done, we cut back into the chorus, and it's almost a perfect segue for Mogg's vocal (and some new keyboards).  Then after the chorus, an outro solo over another, different background with keyboards more prominent.    This is an epic, in my view, and the strongest song on the main album.

Honestly, at this point I can't believe they were "short of material" and "wrote this in the studio".   I know they did (I think Mogg says as much in the liner notes to the compilation it's on) but that is so amazing to me.  These are not songs dashed off; there's a lot of thought and design in them and that's a big part of why I like them (reminds me of Randy's Ozzy in that way).

We Belong To The Night:  The only song I really don't care for much; I think it's a let down from what came before (thankfully it picks back up).  It's not a BAD song, another good story from Phil, but it doesn't have the variety and the unpredictability of the rest of the material.  It almost seems like an interlude, or a "programmed", "hey this will go over great live as an encore!" stab at something.

Let It Rain:  Thankfully, we're back after a short break.    I love everything about this song; the intro, the little brief solo before the verse, and the way Phil sets the whole story with "Two lovers in a desperate game!"   No joke, even though this sounds silly, he has the BEST first lines on on this album.  EVERY lyric has a first line that grabs me and sucks me into the story.   The chorus is a bit lighter than some of the darker stuff here, but it's catchy and it fits Phil's voice almost perfectly.   Good melody without really exposing his limitations (range).   Another Chapman solo that almost sneaks it's way in, half mid-verse fill and half full-on solo.

Terri:  I'd pay hard money to listen to Phil sing this in a small smoky club.  Lyrically it's bleak, but Phil's performance here carries the song.  Again, another solo break from out in left field that fits back into the song (in the form of the chorus) perfectly.    I love Chapman's fills on this song.  I daresay he does that as well if not better than Michael.  Little hits and runs that elevate the song and reinforce what Phil is singing about (listen to the last chorus; the way Chapman underlines "everyone laughing at me".)

Feel It:  I love this song.   It almost has that weird feel of "On With The Action" the way he sings the chorus, but it's not as jarring and it words.    Great legato playing by Chapman in the part immediately following the chorus where he lays down a sort of foundation for Phil's vocals (the "ooh ooh, it's a love that makes you burn" part).    Then the bridge that leads from the legato part immediately into the solo.   Another solo that starts off with the verse rhythm and takes you somewhere else, leading into that "ooh ooh" part, not the chorus. 

Dreaming:  A good closer; nothing really to say here that hasn't been said already, just done really really well.  This might be Chapman's best "fast" solo on the main record, though.   I love the outro, with the backing vocals, so dreamlike and evocative. 

Heel Of A Stranger:  The b-side, and my favorite song from the whole package.  It helps (hurts?) that the lyrics have a certain relevance to me, but I just love the way the music seems to run counter to lyrical message (happy upbeat music with saxophone, depressing lyrics) but still highlighting them and elevating them.  The promise of both wonder and pain in "I was 17 and I thought you were one in a million!"....    makes it that much more powerful when Phil sings "I saw the signs, but not the danger"; he projects that sort of wistful regret that I know I've felt before.   Who hasn't gone through a relationship, and in the burning wreckage of it's end, realized that they should have seen it all coming?  That all the signs were there?  Add to that a chorus that just sticks in my head like glue (I was literally singing it all morning this morning even before I knew that Tim had posted this album), and another KILLER Chapman solo (his best in the package for me) and this is perhaps my favorite UFO song (or at least top three).   

Great post! And thank you for explaining Heel Of A Stad...er..Stranger. ;D

Phil really had a way of penning lyrics that could be intensely personal. I always found that to be one his strengths. A lot of his lyrics and stories are almost mini movies. You can see the visual in your head.

And musically, UFO are right in tune to the words, even though the lyrics are written at the last possible moment. Back Into My Life is an example of this. The "It's another night down on the avenue"..you can see the visual clearly. And in the middle, where it goes "Night turns to day", and the music perfectly conveys the feeling.

Doing It All For You is like that. Musically the verses have a sort of anxiousness to them, and the chorus music has a warmth conveying the lyrics. And the instrumental break incredibly tells the story of the controlled build up to the heist, and then the "all hell's breaking loose" feeling of the solo. I have always loved the line "Tonight we're gonna be goin' out in style.".

One of the best examples is Dreaming Of Summer. But we'll get there soon enough...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 12:15:52 PM by TAC »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #659 on: September 23, 2020, 12:11:06 PM »
I intensely dislike Something Else. Definitely a skipper. The rest of Mechanix is quality though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: September 23, 2020, 12:20:27 PM »
Great post! And thank you for explaining Heel Of A Stad...er..Stranger. ;D

Phil really had a way of penning lyrics that could be intensely personal. I always found that to be one his strengths. A lot of his lyrics and stories are almost mini movies. You can see the visual in your head.

And musically, UFO are right in tune to the words, even though the lyrics are written at the last possible moment. Back Into My Life is an example of this. The "It's another night down on the avenue"..you can see the visual clearly. And in the middle, where it goes "Night turns to day", and the music perfectly conveys the feeling.

Doing It All For You is like that. Musically the verses have a sort of anxiousness to them, and the chorus music has a warmth conveying the lyrics. And the instrumental break incredibly tells the story of the controlled build up to the heist, and then the "all hell's breaking loose" feeling of the solo. I have always loved the line "Tonight we're gonna be goin' out in style.".

One of the best examples is Dreaming Of Summer. But we'll get there soon enough...

Yes! Exactly! Great reference (and another great tune). 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: September 23, 2020, 12:54:37 PM »
Firing up One Night... right now.

That was quite enjoyable and other than the 11 minutes of Cozy throwing his drum kit down the basement stairs I'm thinking I might have to buy this as a superior recording of the first two MSG albums. Michael is just god tier!

That's an understatement and a half. I was 19 when she was born!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #663 on: September 23, 2020, 01:19:12 PM »
That was quite enjoyable and other than the 11 minutes of Cozy throwing his drum kit down the basement stairs I'm thinking I might have to buy this as a superior recording of the first two MSG albums. Michael is just god tier!

:metal :metal

That's an understatement and a half. I was 19 when she was born!

Well, you done good, man.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #664 on: September 23, 2020, 01:37:11 PM »

It's on Spotify. Oddly, I'm having trouble finding it on Amazon. Every other one is one there...

I don’t see it on Amazon Canada either, except for a 2018 version for $137  :sad: