Author Topic: Iron Maiden Song Ranking Thread (Currently Ranking: Mister Gold)  (Read 29479 times)

Offline DTA

Re: Iron Maiden Song Ranking Thread (Currently Ranking: wolfking)
« Reply #385 on: September 22, 2020, 04:55:40 AM »
Great top 5! Your #1 choice is surprising, but aside from Blaze's voice, it really is a fantastic song. Aces, Powerslave, and Caught Somewhere would probably all make my top 10 as well. It's great to see a non-obvious choice make it in there with Judas. This and Run Silent Run Deep are the two songs I can't believe the band overlooked in terms of setlists. Great factual info too. I don't have enough of a guitarist's ear to tell their soloing apart

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #386 on: September 22, 2020, 04:59:49 AM »
So, I had another go at Sign of the Cross.  Musically, it's very good.  Vocally, I just CANNOT get on board with Blaze.  Something just doesn't click ... actually, it's more than just not clicking - I actively dislike his sound.  I think I'll find a live version of this to tackle.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #387 on: September 22, 2020, 05:00:08 AM »
I was curious to see if they've ever played Judas Be My Guide live, but it doesn't seem that way.

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/iron-maiden-3bd6803c.html

I'm surprised to see which songs are at the bottom of the list there, and they've only played a song like 'Invasion' five times, and 'Burning Ambition' three times. I thought they would have been played a lot more in the early days.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline DTA

« Reply #388 on: September 22, 2020, 05:05:44 AM »
I was curious to see if they've ever played Judas Be My Guide live, but it doesn't seem that way.

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/iron-maiden-3bd6803c.html

I'm surprised to see which songs are at the bottom of the list there, and they've only played a song like 'Invasion' five times, and 'Burning Ambition' three times. I thought they would have been played a lot more in the early days.

Maiden is extremely frustrating with their setlists. So many opportunities to do rarities and other exciting things but they always fall back on the same core group of songs. The lack of "Invaders" in any setlist is puzzling...how do you not play the opening track on your 3rd album???

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: September 22, 2020, 05:20:48 AM »
Judas Be My Guide will always be among my very favourite Maiden songs. Nice to see it so high on the list.

Thanks mate.  And yeah, such a shame this one has never been played live.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: September 22, 2020, 05:21:45 AM »
So, I had another go at Sign of the Cross.  Musically, it's very good.  Vocally, I just CANNOT get on board with Blaze.  Something just doesn't click ... actually, it's more than just not clicking - I actively dislike his sound.  I think I'll find a live version of this to tackle.

Check a live version with Bruce.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #391 on: September 22, 2020, 05:25:29 AM »
Right. It's the strength of the song actually. Check out a live version from the last tour especially.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #392 on: September 22, 2020, 07:55:15 AM »
Right. It's the strength of the song actually. Check out a live version from the last tour especially.

Seconded.

Offline 425

« Reply #393 on: September 22, 2020, 10:38:22 AM »
As I mentioned in my writeup, I think both singers handle Sign of the Cross about equally well, but I don't like the faster tempo they give it live. At least, on the RiR version—I can't speak to anything from the last tour.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: September 22, 2020, 10:48:50 AM »
As I mentioned in my writeup, I think both singers handle Sign of the Cross about equally well, but I don't like the faster tempo they give it live. At least, on the RiR version—I can't speak to anything from the last tour.

Clouded, of course, by actually BEING there (and seeing the majestic blue stained glass of the backdrop) but there was nothing "equally well" about Bruce's performance.  It was one of the reasons I made it a point to go to that show and delivered on the promise in every way, shape or form.   Breathtaking.   The studio version?  It's by far my favorite song on The X Factor, and I rarely if ever listen to that record (honestly, I only listen now as a result of threads like these). 

Offline 425

« Reply #395 on: September 22, 2020, 11:04:23 AM »
I'd say Bruce's performance is flashier, more dazzling, and in that way more impressive. But I think Blaze's performance fits the song better thematically.

I do recognize, though, that I am more of a Blaze fan than many. Like I mentioned at some point before, I think the TXF/VXI songs we've heard with Bruce are split down the middle as far as whose performance is better.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #396 on: September 22, 2020, 11:06:36 AM »
I think the TXF/VXI songs we've heard with Bruce are split down the middle as far as whose performance is better.

Yeah, half better with Dickinson, and the other half better with Bruce. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #397 on: September 22, 2020, 11:16:27 AM »
I can at least see all the others, but Lord of the Flies?
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #398 on: September 22, 2020, 11:52:19 AM »
I was joking.

Lord Of The Flies on DOTR is awesome!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: September 22, 2020, 12:17:28 PM »
And 425, don't get me wrong:  I don't DISLIKE Blaze, and from what I hear he's a heck of a nice guy in person too.  We're comparing him to one of the greatest frontmen in metal history, so it's all relative. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #400 on: September 22, 2020, 12:20:23 PM »
And 425, don't get me wrong:  I don't DISLIKE Blaze, and from what I hear he's a heck of a nice guy in person too.  We're comparing him to one of the greatest frontmen in metal history, so it's all relative.

So, common sense? ;D

Offline 425

« Reply #401 on: September 22, 2020, 12:31:04 PM »
No, I completely get what y'all are saying! I definitely see my preference for Blaze on some of these songs as somewhat idiosyncratic, and a function more of how I feel he fits with the vibe of certain songs than of the excellence of the performances.

I do think Lord of the Flies on DotR feels just a bit off. Bruce sounding off is still a very high level of performance, to be sure, but I don't understand the choice to not really sing the chorus melody as written.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: September 22, 2020, 12:53:00 PM »
Bruce has been known to do that.  I really don't like how he sings "Heaven Can Wait", for example.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: September 22, 2020, 02:04:15 PM »
No, I completely get what y'all are saying! I definitely see my preference for Blaze on some of these songs as somewhat idiosyncratic, and a function more of how I feel he fits with the vibe of certain songs than of the excellence of the performances.

I do think Lord of the Flies on DotR feels just a bit off. Bruce sounding off is still a very high level of performance, to be sure, but I don't understand the choice to not really sing the chorus melody as written.

I'm with you here.  I never really liked the DOTR version of flies.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: September 22, 2020, 02:05:08 PM »
I'll have to check out a version from SOTC from the last tour it seems.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #405 on: September 22, 2020, 04:04:31 PM »
I'm also in the camp that isn't a Blaze fan. I have just never been able to warm to his voice singing Maiden, and like jingle said I actually dislike his voice. His low tones are really warm and deep but his mid/higher range just has no colour or texture and just sounds really flat to me with no flow to his sound. Every live performance of Bruce singing a Blaze era song elevates the song to another level in my eyes.

I also never saw Blaze live with Maiden, not sure if any of you guys did? A friend who did though said he really struggled live with some of the live classics - Hallowed etc..

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #406 on: September 22, 2020, 04:07:33 PM »
I saw them in July of 1998 in Phoenix. I don't remember anything really remarkable about his performance, other than I was just happy to see them, especially since I was unable to see TXF tour.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: September 22, 2020, 04:25:47 PM »
It was unfair on Blaze singing the old stuff as Steve wouldn't entertain the idea of detuning for him.  Would have made a big difference.  He should have never been made to sing songs like Hallowed and the Trooper.  Some like Wrathchild, Afraid, HCW were pretty okay though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: September 22, 2020, 05:00:26 PM »

So, common sense? ;D

His low tones are really warm and deep but his mid/higher range just has no colour or texture and just sounds really flat to me with no flow to his sound. Every live performance of Bruce singing a Blaze era song elevates the song to another level in my eyes.

Ding ding ding. Winner winner, chicken dinner.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline 425

« Reply #409 on: September 22, 2020, 05:54:06 PM »
It was unfair on Blaze singing the old stuff as Steve wouldn't entertain the idea of detuning for him.  Would have made a big difference.  He should have never been made to sing songs like Hallowed and the Trooper.  Some like Wrathchild, Afraid, HCW were pretty okay though.

Definitely this. As I posted before, I love his performance on Afraid to Shoot Strangers, and I think he does a good job on the verses of The Clairvoyant, before it gets somewhat too high. Blaze's range was definitely all wrong for the back catalogue, and he does sound weaker at the higher end of his range, and Steve should have taken this into consideration instead of sending him out there to struggle.

But when he does get to use the low end of his range, there are some awesome results that are different from the awesome things Bruce is able to achieve. The word "thunder" always comes to mind for me.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline The Realm

« Reply #410 on: September 22, 2020, 08:50:13 PM »
Yeah, it was probably a good opportunity for Steve to refresh the setlist with Blaze in the band and focus on some songs that Blaze could comfortably sing live instead of keeping some of those set list staples which are difficult for anyone to sing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: September 23, 2020, 12:15:57 AM »
Yeah, it was probably a good opportunity for Steve to refresh the setlist with Blaze in the band and focus on some songs that Blaze could comfortably sing live instead of keeping some of those set list staples which are difficult for anyone to sing.

I just don't understand the thinking behind it all.  I mean, did nothing raise any alarms during rehearsals and whatnot that some songs simply weren't a good idea?  Blaze was the new guy too and never would have put his hand up and say he didn't feel comfortable singing the Trooper.  There were 4 guys that could have discussed this and come up with a better practical solution for all.

People have opinions on the Blaze albums and that's fine but the live performances didn't help his case as the best frontman to replace Bruce.  That could have been alleviated somewhat with some detuning and better song choices.  Seems the Dianno stuff was more up his alley.  A few more of those would have worked.  I can hear Blaze doing a pretty mean job of POTO actually.

Online Bentower

« Reply #412 on: September 23, 2020, 03:12:00 AM »
I think 'Arry wanted to have his cake and eat it too, not wanting to lose the staple songs of the live show or make compromises with the vocal register.
The thing is I'm not sure he could've made it work no matter what. A lot of fans would've been pissed and Blaze booed and spat on either way.

@wolfking: Nice one, you made some righteous, left field choices! I love everything in your top 5.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: September 23, 2020, 05:13:47 AM »
I think 'Arry wanted to have his cake and eat it too, not wanting to lose the staple songs of the live show or make compromises with the vocal register.
The thing is I'm not sure he could've made it work no matter what. A lot of fans would've been pissed and Blaze booed and spat on either way.

@wolfking: Nice one, you made some righteous, left field choices! I love everything in your top 5.

Thanks mate.

You are probably right, nothing would have really made a difference more than likely but may have softened the blow just slightly but true, wouldn't have changed peoples thoughts.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: September 23, 2020, 07:00:30 AM »
Look it's our band and we love them and yadda yadda, but I imagine there's not a little bit of "I'll show that short little wanker what's the what!  We're Iron Fucking Maiden, and I'm Steve Fucking Harris!"  Janick is the relative new guy, Dave strikes me as the kind of guy that wouldn't say shit if he had a mouthful, and ... I don't know about Nicko.   I think he would say something if it came to it, but who knows?   

I also think, from what I've read, that it wasn't just the songs period, it was the rigors of the road that made it that much worse.  And that you can't tell till you're in it.  I can sing Hallowed Be Thy Name once, if I had to*, I don't know that I could do it 150 times over the next eight months, in the middle of singing 15 other songs, all while traveling thousands of miles in between.   Check that:  I KNOW I couldn't do that.   This is something that comes up with James LaBrie as well; touring SUCKS for a singer most of all.   

* I simply mean hitting the notes; I do not at all claim that it would sound pleasing to the ears.  :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #415 on: September 23, 2020, 07:08:12 AM »
Yes, you are correct on both points.
Harris' stubbornness and Blaze's lack of strength over a tour.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #416 on: September 23, 2020, 08:07:47 AM »

You must have heard the Rock in Rio version?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: September 23, 2020, 08:20:58 AM »

Yeah, but it's been years since I spun that album.  That I did listen to earlier this week (haven't looked up anything from a recent tour yet), and found it to be kilometers better than the studio version.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: September 23, 2020, 08:30:57 AM »

Yeah, but it's been years since I spun that album.  That I did listen to earlier this week (haven't looked up anything from a recent tour yet), and found it to be kilometers better than the studio version.

What are "kilometers"?   :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: September 23, 2020, 03:03:58 PM »

What are "kilometers"?   :)

Just some bogan term.