Author Topic: Iron Maiden Song Ranking Thread (Currently Ranking: Mister Gold)  (Read 29027 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Iron Maiden Song Ranking Thread (Currently Ranking: wolfking)
« Reply #350 on: September 07, 2020, 11:51:58 PM »
I remember being really bummed when I heard Adrian left, but was happy it was Jannick replacing him.

I also remember getting the lead single, Holy Smoke, and I thought it sounded like B side material, both in quality and lyrics.

Also, there was a long (at the time) layoff between albums. This album just didn't cut it.

There's a handful of really good songs, as Kade has included them, but I'm sorry. The title track is one of their best ever songs.

I must say that as bad as this album is, I enjoyed this tour so much. I saw them twice and Jannick brought so much energy to the band, and especially pulled it out of Dave as well.

The boots I've seen from this tour are awesome.  Agree, Janick loosened everyone up it seems.  The energy and the interplay and running around onstage really started to excel here and even more on the next tour.  I loved Donington 92 so much because of the pure energy and performance.  The whole band are all over the place, I find that bloody amazing.  Dave especially was a whole new person when Janick joined.

Yeah, I get the comments for the album.  I'd probably share them if I were older and were into Maiden at the time.  Just different circumstances when I heard it.  Knew no history of the band or where this fell in their catalog so when I discovered metal not long before getting the album, it was something knew to me and I enjoyed it for what it was.  I was never keen on Smoke, Hooks and Daughter however.  Daughter was my most hated Maiden song until El Dorado came along.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #351 on: September 08, 2020, 05:45:02 AM »
I think musically, Bring Your Daughter is really cool. They didn't have a track like that. It's just that the title and chorus is so bad. With the right lyric, that's an ass kicker.

But that's on Steve Harris. He insisted on it. I remember the Bruce version from the Freddy movie, and I thought, well, OK. But for Steve to be so bullish that it had to be on a Maiden album..he can be stubborn.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #352 on: September 08, 2020, 05:51:17 AM »
I think musically, Bring Your Daughter is really cool. They didn't have a track like that. It's just that the title and chorus is so bad. With the right lyric, that's an ass kicker.

But that's on Steve Harris. He insisted on it. I remember the Bruce version from the Freddy movie, and I thought, well, OK. But for Steve to be so bullish that it had to be on a Maiden album..he can be stubborn.

Yeah, that version of Bruce's best of is an interesting listen but didn't have a place in Maiden.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #353 on: September 08, 2020, 10:11:57 AM »
I fell behind on following this, and didn't want to jump back in until I had a chance to get properly caught up.  I just updated a playlist with all this songs, and will dial back in around Run Silent Run Deep in a few minutes.

I will say it was hard to follow with those first sets of entries, cuz very few of them were what I'd consider A-list material.  Several of those selections as 'Top 50' were definitely hot takes (imo).  Couple of points though... I'm still struggling with Book of Souls and The Final Frontier.  Neither album is giving me anything to sink my ears into.  And in no universe could I ever rank anything from No Prayer or the Blaze era on my Top 50.  I don't even own TXF or VXI.  Sorry (not sorry).

I'm still amazed how underrated No Prayer is.  Dunno why it was never brought back out.  Unique and amazing.

Cuz it fucking sucks (and blows).   :lol  Seriously Kade, how you felt about Frequency Unknown is how I feel about No Prayer:

I think I might throw my copy of FU NPftD at some clown walking down the street tomorrow for laughs.

I'll chime back in tomorrow with some other specific, and more positive, thoughts.

I don't necessarily AGREE, but I can understand where you're coming from with all of that except... The Final Frontier.  That's now possibly my favorite of the reunion era records (it used to be Dance of Death).   After hearing the live tracks from En Vivo! it's breathed new life into that record for me. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: September 08, 2020, 10:29:04 AM »
So for me, Hallowed is, well, Hallowed.  They could play it twice each night and I'd be fine with that.  (It was especially glorious on this last tour; I remember seeing it early on, though, and thinking, now THIS is what metal should be!). 

The Trooper is solid, and I like it, but not top ten material.

I LOVED Seventh Son when it came out (album and song) and other than a couple dodgy live performances over the years - Bruce seems to butcher this and Heaven Can Wait more than others, even songs that I would think are harder to sing - it's a strong favorite.

Now...   Both No Prayer and Loneliness suffer from circumstance.    When I got SiT, I liked it, I liked the adjustment in tone (the guitars are noticeably different on this record than any others) but I started to get... skeptical a bit.  I would dub all my new albums onto a cassette, and if it ran long, I'd figure out a way to either put it on the other side, or I'd make a 60 minute "other" tape with all the songs from that band that I had to cut.    I didn't bother with "Loneliness".  I thought - then - that the lyrics were stupid and that Maiden was heading down the Judas Priest road (caricatures).   If I've listened to SiT 100 times, I've only heard "Loneliness" maybe 5 or so.   In going back, it's good, but the guitars are WAYYY better than the vocal melody and the lyrics.  That's not Bruce's fault IMO, but the song is... missing something (Satan!  :)).

No Prayer is similar; I didn't like that Adrian left, but I could live with Janick (I liked him from "A View From The Hill" from Fish).  What I REALLY didn't like is Bruce's metamorphosis.   He stopped being Bruce and seemed to become Bon Scott, and that didn't work for me.  I love the guitars on No Prayer (those harmonies are to die for) but again the vocals and melodies suffer the song (and this time it IS Bruce's fault, at least in part).   One of the best things about the reunion is that Bruce is SINGING again.   

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #355 on: September 08, 2020, 02:30:21 PM »
Stads.. on this topic (and you mentioned earlier) you aptly described what I was getting at with Bruce's singing on NPftD.  Bon Scott/Brian Johnson... doesn't matter which, Bruce has this underlying mini-garble going on, and no range.  He's in the hard-rock range, and trying to sound all gruffy.  It's like the difference between a smooth shave, and 3-days of stubble.  I want Bruce smooth, and belting out his lines using his full range.

Anyhow... now on to my more positive comments over the last 20 entries:

To Tame a Land - starts out a little uneventful, and the 2nd/middle part is a bit of a plodder.  The final 3 minutes are pure bliss though
Montsegur - yes, it suffers from a repetitive chorus. But DoD is my favorite ‘00s era album.  Excellent stuff top to bottom.  This was the first entry on my Top 25 list.
Rime… it’s #2 IM of all time for me, so yeah.
Paschendale … It’s #3!
Dance of Death … great tune, but hard to put it ahead of some of the others already mentioned - and below some of those to come ;-)  Intro is a nice buildup, but 3:00 is where shit gets real.  This cracks my Top 10 at #10
Where Eagles Dare… song for song, PoM is the best/most consistent album.  Not a single ‘not-great’ song on it - and this is a killer way to open it up.  This and Aces High are the best openers in their discography.  #20 on my list.
Greater Good … repetitive chorus?  Yes.  But dat instrumental section more than makes up for it!  Lucky #13 on my list.
< now I’m picking up what you’re laying down>
Wasted Years… it’s #4 all-time.  The melodies, the riff, the tone, the rhythm.  It’s the perfect 5-minute song.  Bill and Tim - you’re both daft. Before I finally got SiT, I watched the video for this dozens of times.
Hallowed … it’s #1!!!!  A flawless song.  Truly flawless.
Trooper … It’s #5 all time. 
7th Son … It’s #6.  This is the song that truly captivated me.  I’d known their ‘hits’ from NotB, and a few others, but this is what really drew me in to them. Not being a truly ‘metal’ head at the time, it probably helped that this was from their ‘keyboard’ phase.  And dat instrumental section.  Boneriffic!

Starblind, Educated Fool and Childhood’s end got honorable mentions for me, not quite making my Top 25.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: September 08, 2020, 03:03:32 PM »
Thanks for the in depth thoughts lads.

Again, I completely see where you guys are coming from with No Prayer at the time.

I know Runner is super cheesy but those harmonies.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: September 13, 2020, 04:41:11 AM »
Let's bring it down to the top 5;

8. Sea of Madness

Yep, another WTF entry here.  This song is balls out heavy, and Smith producing some amazing songwriting.  That riff is probably the heaviest moment in Maiden's catalog, and the riff is really really unique.  That descending note of the D/C#/C note in that riff is amazing.  Props to 'Arry too, he makes this as heavy as it is.  Love the third intervals in the pre chorus as opposed to straight power chords.  Main riff is E but moves to A in the chorus.  The main riff stays in A though before moving back to E for the second verse, very cool.  The solo is fucking amazing.  Moves to B and that melody at the start is wonderful.  Straight B minor for the solo too and Adrian is classy as fuck here.

The quiet bit is pure 80's, and I love Bruce's little falsetto.  The key changes to C# and I love how Adrians finishes the solo in line with the key change.  Great extra noodling from him too.  At 3:30, that is one of the coolest moments in Maiden's catalog.  Love it.  The song finishes off in fine form but Adrian's improv at the end gets me going.  He's in A minor but I love the tapping onto a bent string.  5:06 is what I'm talking about.  At 5:12 though, he bends the string, uses his pick to tap the bent note, slides up, and pulls off.  Fucking genius.  Love this song and always have. 

All leads - Adrian

7. 22 Acacia Avenue

Yet another WTF entry.  This is absolutely one of my fav songs to play on the guitar.  That rhythm is deadly.  Pure E minor this.  The accents during the intro are fabulous.  I just love everything about this song.  Love the C/D/E progression too in the verses.  I love the dirty lyrics here too.  Cheesy but I like it.  A bit of sleaze.  I love how highly Bruce rates himself that a hooker would give a free fuck because she's knows him haha.  That breakdown riff is balls out, lovely.  That chorus at 2:56, you know what I love, Clive.  His off beat ride cymbal I think it is simply wonderful.  Love his work on that section before the solo.  Amazing drumming here.

Dave breaks it down with a classic E minor solo.  Love the half tempo and such an emotional section.  It's almost a parody of the lyrical content if you ask me, love it.  That not run down in teh rhythm is interesting though as it has an F note not in the key of E minor.  Nice tension.  Adrian rips at the end.  Pure bluesy E minor here.  Perfect phrasing and, I now hear Schenker here.  Love the build up, love Bruce's pleading at the end and the ending is pure rock and roll. Steve's bass is enormous too. Such an overdramatic ending, again in parody of the lyrics.  I love this song.

Solo 1 - Dave
Solo 2 - Adrian

6. The Talisman

This was never a fav when the album was released.  It clicked years later.  I thought it was one of the weakest epics on the album, yet I now think it's the best song and top 10 material.  To think Bruce sang this in one take is crazy.  Pure Janick at the intro and the long buildup is great.  Portrays the lyrics perfectly.  Musically, I never tried to really play this one funnily enough.  It's in D though, and quite simple by the sounds.  Love those perhaps flattened fifths in the verses.  That's cool.  2:52 is one of the coolest sections Maiden have done using the D/Bb/F/C chord progression.  The groove throughout this is fabulous.  Although when that pre chorus type section I just mentioned comes around, I love Nicko's work, the change in tempo is wonderful and the snare beat just grooves so well.

The verses and pre chours type sections could keep going longer, the structure is amazing.  But fuck me, 5:32, that chorus.  Good lord that chorus.  This song simply has some of the most powerful, emotional melodies of Maiden's career.  Bruce here also is just not human, love it.  The middle section is so cool and I will have to learn this one.  How it kicks in at 6:20 is so damn good and Janick reverts to a simple, tasty solo where he doesn't overplay his hand.  Less is more here.  Could be some phyrgian dominant and maybe some harmonic minor?  Still D, no key changes, simple stuff.  This solo reminds me of his work on Fear is the Key.  That gallop back into the verses is just too good also.

Everything about this song is perfect.  It's amazing how long it took to grow on me and my ranking of it now.  When this album was released if I looked ahead and saw it was number 6 on my list years later, I wouldn't believe it.  This song is a fucking masterpiece.  A classic.

Solo - Janick

Offline The Realm

« Reply #358 on: September 13, 2020, 04:25:27 PM »
Awesome! Sea of Madness and 22 are definitely top 10 worthy. Two of my favourites, although in this day and age I guess lyrically 22 is a bit of outlier. Musically though it is awesome and is a great rock song, same with Sea of Madness.

The Talisman - I agree in that it was also never a favourite of mine on release. I have actually grown to appreciate this song and album a lot more from following this thread! I can see the appeal of this one.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #359 on: September 13, 2020, 04:43:28 PM »
Nothing WTF at all about those songs.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #360 on: September 13, 2020, 04:47:21 PM »

8. Sea of Madness

Yep, another WTF entry here.  This song is balls out heavy, and Smith producing some amazing songwriting.  That riff is probably the heaviest moment in Maiden's catalog, and the riff is really really unique.  That descending note of the D/C#/C note in that riff is amazing.  Props to 'Arry too, he makes this as heavy as it is.  Love the third intervals in the pre chorus as opposed to straight power chords.  Main riff is E but moves to A in the chorus.  The main riff stays in A though before moving back to E for the second verse, very cool.  The solo is fucking amazing.  Moves to B and that melody at the start is wonderful.  Straight B minor for the solo too and Adrian is classy as fuck here.

The quiet bit is pure 80's, and I love Bruce's little falsetto.  The key changes to C# and I love how Adrians finishes the solo in line with the key change.  Great extra noodling from him too.  At 3:30, that is one of the coolest moments in Maiden's catalog.  Love it.  The song finishes off in fine form but Adrian's improv at the end gets me going.  He's in A minor but I love the tapping onto a bent string.  5:06 is what I'm talking about.  At 5:12 though, he bends the string, uses his pick to tap the bent note, slides up, and pulls off.  Fucking genius.  Love this song and always have. 

All leads - Adrian

7. 22 Acacia Avenue

Yet another WTF entry.  This is absolutely one of my fav songs to play on the guitar.  That rhythm is deadly.  Pure E minor this.  The accents during the intro are fabulous.  I just love everything about this song.  Love the C/D/E progression too in the verses.  I love the dirty lyrics here too.  Cheesy but I like it.  A bit of sleaze.  I love how highly Bruce rates himself that a hooker would give a free fuck because she's knows him haha.  That breakdown riff is balls out, lovely.  That chorus at 2:56, you know what I love, Clive.  His off beat ride cymbal I think it is simply wonderful.  Love his work on that section before the solo.  Amazing drumming here.

Dave breaks it down with a classic E minor solo.  Love the half tempo and such an emotional section.  It's almost a parody of the lyrical content if you ask me, love it.  That not run down in teh rhythm is interesting though as it has an F note not in the key of E minor.  Nice tension.  Adrian rips at the end.  Pure bluesy E minor here.  Perfect phrasing and, I now hear Schenker here.  Love the build up, love Bruce's pleading at the end and the ending is pure rock and roll. Steve's bass is enormous too. Such an overdramatic ending, again in parody of the lyrics.  I love this song.

Solo 1 - Dave
Solo 2 - Adrian

6. The Talisman

This was never a fav when the album was released.  It clicked years later.  I thought it was one of the weakest epics on the album, yet I now think it's the best song and top 10 material.  To think Bruce sang this in one take is crazy.  Pure Janick at the intro and the long buildup is great.  Portrays the lyrics perfectly.  Musically, I never tried to really play this one funnily enough.  It's in D though, and quite simple by the sounds.  Love those perhaps flattened fifths in the verses.  That's cool.  2:52 is one of the coolest sections Maiden have done using the D/Bb/F/C chord progression.  The groove throughout this is fabulous.  Although when that pre chorus type section I just mentioned comes around, I love Nicko's work, the change in tempo is wonderful and the snare beat just grooves so well.

The verses and pre chours type sections could keep going longer, the structure is amazing.  But fuck me, 5:32, that chorus.  Good lord that chorus.  This song simply has some of the most powerful, emotional melodies of Maiden's career.  Bruce here also is just not human, love it.  The middle section is so cool and I will have to learn this one.  How it kicks in at 6:20 is so damn good and Janick reverts to a simple, tasty solo where he doesn't overplay his hand.  Less is more here.  Could be some phyrgian dominant and maybe some harmonic minor?  Still D, no key changes, simple stuff.  This solo reminds me of his work on Fear is the Key.  That gallop back into the verses is just too good also.

Everything about this song is perfect.  It's amazing how long it took to grow on me and my ranking of it now.  When this album was released if I looked ahead and saw it was number 6 on my list years later, I wouldn't believe it.  This song is a fucking masterpiece.  A classic.

Solo - Janick

I have simply never cared for Sea Of Madness. It's cool enough I suppose. It's not like I don't like it. I would just rather listen to about 100 songs in their catalog.

22 and Talisman are appropriately placed. Both are Top 10 songs for me. The Talisman is amazing. Such great pacing and storytelling.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: September 13, 2020, 09:34:07 PM »
 :metal

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #362 on: September 13, 2020, 10:17:49 PM »

8. Sea of Madness

All leads - Adrian

7. 22 Acacia Avenue

Solo 1 - Dave
Solo 2 - Adrian

6. The Talisman

Solo - Janick

Gotta love Sea of Madness! One of the most underrated IM songs ever, if you ask me. 22 Acacia Avenue is great too, though admittedly I think it'd probably be somewhere up in my Top 30 or 40, rather than my Top 25 or 10.

It's been ages since I last listened to The Talisman, but for whatever reason, it's just never clicked for me in the way that most of Janick's big epics have. From what I remember, musically it reminded me a bit too much of The Legacy, and its nautical horror story didn't quite register for me nearly as much as the lyrics of The Legacy do. However, considering your own story of not being as fond of it in the past and how it's recently grown on you in a big way, I might as well revisit it again and see how time has fared for that song.

BTW, I'm not quite done yet with my list, but I'm happy to report that it's well underway. I might need a couple of days after you finish up before starting mine, but all in all, I should be good to go next. :metal

EDIT: Just listened to The Talisman for the first time in probably... oh, I dunno... maybe five years? Okay. Okay, yeah, this song is registering with me in a VERY different way than I remembered it ever doing in the past.

Holy moly, that was all in one take from Bruce?! Also gotta appreciate how Janick and Steve didn't do a quick reprise of the slow intro at the end and instead just let the finale build up to a big bang. Okay. Okay, yeah, um... WOW. :lol

Thanks for the vote of confidence on this song, man. I wouldn't have gone back to listen to this jewel anytime soon if I hadn't read your own story of it growing on you.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 10:35:17 PM by Mister Gold »
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: September 13, 2020, 11:09:27 PM »
No worries mate.  Yeah, I don't recall a song ever being such a grower after such a long time.  Interesting that they didn't end with a reprise of the intro.  I never thought about that, but that is indeed a nice touch.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: September 13, 2020, 11:10:16 PM »
Don't stress over your list.  I've been slack by only updating weekly anyway.

Offline 425

« Reply #365 on: September 14, 2020, 09:18:32 AM »
8. Sea of Madness

7. 22 Acacia Avenue

6. The Talisman

I know I have a lot to catch up on, and I'll try to comment on those soon, but for now these new three:

You already know I think at least as highly of The Talisman. Funnily enough, I also had the experience of it being a significant grower. The TFF epics that caught my attention first were When the Wild Wind Blows, Starblind and Isle of Avalon, in that order, and The Talisman didn't come around until later on.

Even though I didn't put it this high, I can't argue at all with Sea of Madness in the top 10. It's such a well-written song.

22 is certainly a good song, but it's a case where I'll admit to being put off a bit by the lyrics.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: September 14, 2020, 10:31:15 AM »
Sea Of Madness and 22 are just testament to how good Maiden is (or how much I like them, fair enough).  Both are great songs, but both aren't even top three or four ON THEIR ALBUM, maybe, so wouldn't be in my top 10.  But that's not to say they aren't worthy songs, and I can't argue with someone's taste.

The Talisman, though,  WOW.  I didn't know Bruce sang that in one take.  That is amazing to me.  What a great tune. 

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: September 14, 2020, 10:40:12 AM »
Sea Of Madness is one of my very favourite Maiden tracks ever, I instantly loved it when I bought Somewhere In Time.

The Talisman is among their very best from the reunion era.

Never been a big fan of 22 Acacia Avenue though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: September 14, 2020, 11:12:54 AM »
Pretty much what Bill said.  Though, I did sneak 22 Acacia Ave into my Top 25, at #15.  For some reason, I put it in a co-entry with Charlotte the Harlot.  I'd have to go back to my writeup to figure out why the fuck I did that??  Too busy with work now however.

Talisman... I'll re-listen this afternoon, and see if something from TFF or BoS will click with me.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: September 14, 2020, 11:53:18 AM »
Pretty much what Bill said.  Though, I did sneak 22 Acacia Ave into my Top 25, at #15.  For some reason, I put it in a co-entry with Charlotte the Harlot.  I'd have to go back to my writeup to figure out why the fuck I did that??  Too busy with work now however.

My guess is because "22 Acacia Avenue" was subtitled "The Continuing Saga of Charlotte the Harlot" on the early vinyl inner jacket lyric sheets (and later CD reissues).

Talisman... I'll re-listen this afternoon, and see if something from TFF or BoS will click with me.
If you're game, try the live versions from En Vivo for TFF.  Really strong stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: September 14, 2020, 12:04:19 PM »

My guess is because "22 Acacia Avenue" was subtitled "The Continuing Saga of Charlotte the Harlot" on the early vinyl inner jacket lyric sheets (and later CD reissues).

Oh yeah... right.  That'd do it.  :lolpalm:

If you're game, try the live versions from En Vivo for TFF.  Really strong stuff.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: September 14, 2020, 03:14:21 PM »
Charlotte the Hatlot
22 Acacia Avenue
Hooks in You
From Here to Eternity

That's the 4 Charlotte songs.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: September 20, 2020, 04:26:45 AM »
Let's finish this off;

5. Judas Be My Guide

Another oddball choice, but Maiden's most underrated tune.  This song fucking rules.  Dave nailed this one and one of the shortest songs in Maiden's catalog.  Hidden deep at the end of FOTD, this just rips.  A real different vibe here, and I don't even know how to really catorgarize it.  Was always a fav and just love the energy, the pulsing vibe, the pace, Bruce's evil style vocal delivery and Dave shreds. 

D minor and that intro solo sets the tone.  This one is similar in Rainmaker in structure and I think Dave took some inspiration from this song when he wrote Rainmaker.  That pedal point style riffing in the chorus is cool.  It's simple, but oh so good.  That bridge works really well too, but Dave during the solo tears it up.  FOTD IMO might be Dave's best lead playing all round.  He's just on fire and this shows.  It finishes quick but not before Dave dabbles again.  Underrated as hell this song.  A shame is was never represented live.

All leads - Dave

4. Caught Somewhere in Time

This one doesn't seem to get a lot of love.  This was one of the first Maiden songs I tried to play and spent years trying to get it right.  This is quite a technically difficult song.  The rhythm is fast as hell and a great workout for your picking hand.  Love the intro and a PERFECT intro to the album.  The use of synths is promintent straight away but I fell in love with it from the get go.  Steve's bass is strong here too.  That second section of harmonies rips.  Love the use of the harmonic minor at the end too.

The gallop here in the verses is frantic, really frantic.  E minor but the 'time is always on my side' section reverts to A.  I love everything going on here, it sounds really heavy.  Love those Maidenesque harmonies over the heavy fast atmosphere too.  I love the repeated lyrics in the chorus too.  I LOVE that pickslide in the second line of the chorus.  That riff before the solos is fucking hard to play too, good shit.

The solos are classic IMO, and tricky.  Dave is in D minor and it's strict D minor here.  His tone is warm, warmer than normal for him.  The whammy bar work is simple and inspired, and works so well with the accents of Nicko's drumming.  This is probably one of Dave's more challenging solos.  Adrian brightens things shifting to E minor.  He has a lot of cool shit going on too.  The rundown on the Aeolin mode straight up is a nice simple touch.  That subtle whammy bar work of his first bend too at 4:05 is so understated.  The next section is so Shenker like with the bluesy touch. That slide down also at 4:15 is so fucking cool.  His tapping through this section too also is quite inspired especially that last chromatic rundown.  So clever and cool. 

The song never lets up and busts your balls for 7 minutes.  Never understood it being underrated, I top 5 for me. 

Solo 1 - Dave
Solo 2 - Adrian

3. Aces High

The first Maiden song I ever heard.  I use to watch a late night music program called RAGE on Friday and Saturday nights.  I use to tape sections as it went all night.  They use to have artists guest programming the show playing their fav tunes.  Marylin Manson was the artist one night and one weekend morning I loaded up the tape to skip through and see what I could find.  He played a lot of good stuff.  I skipped through and the intro of the Aces High vid caught my attention.  The hair, the leather, the stage presence, I gave it a listen.  It seemed cheesy at the time but watching it, I though it was amazing but was hard to admit it.  That changed my life eventually.  To be honest, because I was a young kid in school listening to what was cool and popular, I kind of wrote this off.  I was trying to conform and whatnot and the image of the band and the older nature of the video, I did my best to dismiss it.  It kept coming back to me, and I slowly kept coming back to it.  A young high school student became his own person and the metal attitude of being yourself, not conforming and not giving a fuck what other people thought was born in me from this video.  It shaped me as a guitar player too, metal was it and it hasn't changed to this day.

Everything about this song is metal.  This could be Maiden's best chorus, it's simply incredible.  The key change from E to G is amazing.  Bruce shows on this track why he has his nickname.  Musically it's cool.  A minor mostly but key changes to E in the verse to build tension.  Nice shift to B for Adrian's solo too.  The guitar harmonies are just beautiful. 

Solo 1 - Dave
Solo 2 - Adrian

2. Powerslave

Aces High was a metal awakening but Powerslave was my guitar awakening.  I adored this tune right from the moment I heard it.  Bruce writing this solo is an incredible thought and shows his strength as an artist.  This song was probably I think the very first songs I tried to play along with CSIT and a few others.  The groove, the phrygian dominant, the riffing, the chorus, just a brilliant metal track that I have never gotten bored with.  That main riff is a fucking ball breaker.  The chorus is epic and so simple with the E/C/D progression.  The solo is the highlight.  I spend soooooo long trying to learn this.  I had to come back to it many times to try and get it right.  Dave's first solo is a thing of legends.  The atmosphere, the tone, the tension and the climax is just brilliant.  All b minor, strict b minor with many blues and dare I say Shenker elements.  Adrian kicks in with a classic Adrian solo in b minor.  There's a few standard licks in these solo that this is the place I learned these simple, classic blues licks.  that smear lick at 3:39 was my intoduction to this lick and took and age to get right. 

Those middle harmonies are magic and works so well in the live setting.  Dave comes back in with another solo to bookmark his work.  Some nice little harmonic minor in there too.  It's funny based on the phrygian dominant nature of the songs the solos are strict minor, but you don't miss that phrygian vibe, very nice.  Just a classic song, love it and so many memories learning the guitar with this one.

Solo 1 - Dave
Solo 2 - Adrian
Solo 3 - Dave

1. Sign of the Cross

It's hard to pinpoint why this is my fav song from Maiden, but it just is.  The X Factor I think was the third album I got from Maiden after TNOTB and NPFTD.  I was shoked by what I heard, but like No Prayer, I had no real knowledge or affiliation with the band beforehand, so I took this album for what it is and enjoyed it from the get go.  The darkness, the depression, the mood everything about it, is perfect to me, and this represents it.  I would sit up late listening to this album with headphones.  I'd be at school wanting to get home to listen to this.

The moody intro is creepy and done so well.  Blaze is perfect here in the intro.  The alomst 3 minute buildup is justified before it gets going in typical Maiden form.  Pure E minor.  I've always liked Blaze and love him here.  His passion, emotion and effort is excellent.  I love the slight off key nature in his vocals in the chorus.  He's putting so much effort in, it's slightly off and raw.  I know people cringe but I have no issues with it.  I love how short the verses and chorus are compared to the instrumental section.

This is Maiden now doing some prog.  First we have key changes from E to D to give that evil feel.  After the epic quiet section, that flattened fifith note is tasty.  The off timing going on here is incredible too.  Nicko is brilliant on this track.  The shift in the key changes is great too.    7:07 is absolutely unbelievable, almost Dream Theater like to me.  So heavy and dark and just the key changes keep coming.  It explodes into a Maiden melody and the solos rip.  Dave is first and explodes into a brilliant tapping section.  Such energy and the song just takes off.  That blues note lick at 8:26 is a great touch.  Janick switches up to G minor for a typical Janick style solo.  Great licks and love the strangled bend to finish the solo, so good.

Afterwards we come to another classic Maiden section and finish off with another chours.  The ending like the beginning is the icing on the cake.  Again, not completely sure why this is number 1, it's just a complete package for me.  If I were picking a song to represent Maiden, I don't think this would be anywhere near the top, but it's my number 1 song.

Solo 1 - Dave
Solo 2 - Janick

Thanks for reading!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #373 on: September 20, 2020, 06:53:13 AM »
I am ashamed to admit that I get bored with lists sometimes, but I just wanted to chime in and take my hat off to you for having the exact same number one as me.  :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #374 on: September 20, 2020, 07:03:34 AM »
Great ending, Kade!

Judas..WOW! That's up there!
Yes, certainly underrated. I get it. People typically rank the  Fear Of The Dark album low. But that doesn't mean it's a bad album. Personally, I love it.

CSIT- You have it about exactly where I have it. I love this song and it is Top Shelf Iron Maiden for me. For an album that has generally not aged well for me, this song is still a standout.

Aces-No denying its classic status. This song has really aged well for me. When Powerslave first came out, I thought Aces High was so formulaic. But fuck that. It has survived and it's awesome.

Powerslave-Great tune. All the way around.

SOTC-Can't argue with that. I find most of TXF an unfinished product, but SOTC is perfect the way it is. Maiden pushing their own boundaries, but still being Maiden. It's really one of their best qualities, especially as they transitioned from the Blaze Era to the Reunion Era. Never resting on their laurels.

:tup

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #375 on: September 20, 2020, 08:03:11 AM »
Great list, Kade! I'm not surprised to see Sign of the Cross at the top of your list again, it's such a classic that it was also the top dog on my own list from back in 2013. :metal

I'm probably going to wait at least half a week or so before starting my list in here. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: September 20, 2020, 09:24:50 AM »
I've been waiting to see what your Top 5 is.  Just spun them all (except Sign ... will get to that once my earbuds charge).

Judas - Just spun it for the first time in ages, and I very much enjoyed it a helluva lot more than I ever remember liking it in the past.
CSIT - tremendous song, from probably my 3rd fave IM album
Aces - classic.  Should be in everyone's Top 10 (#8 for me)
Powerslave - never really thought too much of this track, for all the excellence of the 'big 3' from the album.  It's good, but I do find the riff to be *too* simple.
Sign - well, it's Blaze era, so it's not going to do much for me.  I've tried many times to 'get' this track, largely because you hold it in such high regard, but every time I git it a crack, it fails to capture anything from me ... attention, interest, appeal, enjoyment ... nothing.  I'm about as apathetic to this song as is possible.  I'll give it another go in a bit.

Definitely some odd selections in this list, but you did hit a number of tunes that are right in my sweet spot as well.  :tup  And excellent writeups - even if I didn't understand jack shit about the musical theory side of your commentary.  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: September 20, 2020, 02:19:44 PM »
Thanks lads.  :metal

Offline The Realm

« Reply #378 on: September 20, 2020, 04:14:42 PM »
Great list wolfking. Really loved it and your write ups, thanks for doing this.

4 classics in the top 5 and one left field which is cool.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: September 20, 2020, 06:11:18 PM »
I thought about an album ranking, but not sure I can.

Offline 425

« Reply #380 on: September 21, 2020, 12:48:46 PM »
5. Judas Be My Guide

4. Caught Somewhere in Time

3. Aces High

2. Powerslave

1. Sign of the Cross

Judas Be My Guide is an interesting choice, and it's a good song, but I actually think it's sort of come around to being overrated in a certain strange way, through being such a popular choice for "most underrated Maiden song."

The others made my list. I think Aces High and Powerslave are superb and I don't have a bad word to say about them, but they're not quite elite for me. Caught Somewhere in Time absolutely deserves this, it's a wonderful track.

Sign of the Cross is one of their very best songs and I cannot argue at all with its placement here at #1. Great choice, and nice writeup. I definitely agree about Blaze.

This was a fun list! I'm glad you brought your musical knowledge into the discussion; that added somewhat of a different spin on the writeups. Thanks for sharing!
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: September 21, 2020, 04:27:40 PM »
Any chance you can include the version of "Sign Of The Cross" from the latest tour?   :)

Nothing on you - and GREAT writeups! - but most of those five are very good not excellent Maiden.   I don't think any of those would crack my top 20, actually. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: September 21, 2020, 04:40:47 PM »
Any chance you can include the version of "Sign Of The Cross" from the latest tour?   :)

Nothing on you - and GREAT writeups! - but most of those five are very good not excellent Maiden.   I don't think any of those would crack my top 20, actually.

This right here shows the strength of the bands catalog.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: September 21, 2020, 04:41:38 PM »
I really enjoyed doing the writeups too.  Sorry they were so self indulgent, but glad everyone appreciated them.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: September 22, 2020, 12:15:28 AM »
Judas Be My Guide will always be among my very favourite Maiden songs. Nice to see it so high on the list.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.