Author Topic: Iron Maiden Song Ranking Thread (Currently Ranking: Mister Gold)  (Read 29034 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Iron Maiden Song Ranking Thread (Currently Ranking: wolfking)
« Reply #245 on: August 06, 2020, 03:44:07 PM »
Nice Tim.

Again, will have to wait to the weekend for another update I'm sorry.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: August 09, 2020, 04:45:12 AM »
35. Run Silent Run Deep

Another more popular cut from teh No Prayer album.  An underrated fan fav I'd say that reeks more classic Maiden.  This has the Maiden groove too.  The main riff rocks in E phrygian, but sitting down now, I don't I've ever actually tried to learn this one.  The C# chord at the end of the verses is interesting too.  Janick opens the soloing in F#.  Seems like he sticks with the minor mode with some blues notes even with the phrygian backing.  Shifts up to A where Dave plays strict A phrygian here.  His lines and shapes are almost like he's thinking D minor, which is the same notes of course.  Beautiful e minor harmonies too, just brilliant.  Bruce sounds amazing on the outro too.

Solo 1 - Janick
Solo 2 - Dave

34. Public Enema Number One

Here's one I'll get stung for I'm sure.  Love the hard rock nature and pace of this one.  Again, another No Prayer cut and Dave writing some real cool stuff.  Love how direct it is with the harmonies on the opening.  Absolute rocking chorus in straight E.  Love Bruce's delivery here.  The chorus takes it back a little but the second half of the chorus rips in, with some great harmonized octaves. Key change to A too.  Shifts to B where Dave takes hold and that section before the solo is really something different and reminds of even some Aussie rock type of style stuff, hard to explain.  I just love this one, balls out rocker.

Solo - Dave

33. Phantom of the Opera

Back to the debut for this classic.  I know most will say it's too low.  But I love it a lot, but never rated it as high as other people did.  I love the LAD version.  That's where it's at for me, but there's no denying the original here.  A lot of punk influence of course as with most of the Dianno stuff but love the speed.  All E minor here.  I love in the break down bit the simplicity of the arpeggios, so simple but so good.  That slow solo is a perfect background for Dave's style.  I like how it's strict E minor yet the phrase at the end of ever 4 bars stanza is F and then G and Dave follows that with his note choices.  Classic harmonies afterwards and then let's rip for some duel solos.  That littel E harmonic minor lick from Dave at 5:17 is stellar

Solo 1 - Dave
Solo 2 - Dave
Solo 3 - Dennis

32. The Duellists

This one has always been criminally underrated if you ask me.  Has that Powerslave chug all over it which is predominant all through the record and a highlight here.  The chorus is E major I think is really different.  This song is all about that instrumental section.  The thing with some of these tunes from Powerslave is the layers of guitars.  A song like this while not popular, would have been a great one to play live with the 3 guitars.  Mainly in E but shifts to B in there too I think.  Dave's solo is in E but Adrians in B.  3 minute solo section, love it.  Might be an unpopular choice, but I stand by it.

Solo 1 - Dave
Solo 2 - Adrian

31. To Tame A Land

The epic closer from Piece of Mind.  I always appreciated the song structure here, it's different but works really well.  Just split sections, no choruses, no section repeats.  What is really special is how the main riffing is in E but shifts to the phrygian dominant mode.  The way they use that is excellent.  Lots of cool lead melodies too.  The mid section is the definition of epic.  A shame Bruce struggled with that note as it would have been an epic staple in a live format.  The pure Maiden guitar melodies are on show, but take a fucking bow Steve Harris, his bass owns this tune and that outro shows why.  Some cool soloing with flashes.  that Gary Moore type riff Adrian does at 5:22 with the b flat note in there is cool as fuck.  Adrian is a huge Moore fan and it's great when those influences come through.  The outro is awesome, rotates between E minor, D minor and F# minor.  Excellent tune.

Solo 1 - Dave
Solo 2 - Adrian

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #247 on: August 09, 2020, 07:27:35 AM »
35. Run Silent Run Deep

33. Phantom of the Opera

32. The Duellists

31. To Tame A Land

WOW, an excellent batch of songs.

Run Silent Run Deep- I LOVE this song. A real highlight from No Prayer. Believe it or not, I actually consider this to have one of their best choruses in their entire catalog. And at 2:20, it's Maiden's one and only MOSHPIT part. Great tune.

Public Enema #1-  If they had only retitled this Refugees From The Pain, or something like that...
Maiden very quietly sneaks in this incredibly song in the middle of No Prayer. So glad I got to see it live.

Phantom- Yeah, way too low. This is a Top 5 Maiden track for me. And Dianno rips on this. It's amazing a bunch of kids could come up with something so epic. Really sets the stage for progressive METAL.

The Duellists- This song moves like a freight train headlong into such an amazingly cool instrumental section. A real gem on this album.
People get hung up "this album only has like 3 great tunes on it". Well, sorry, not sorry, this is one of them.

To Tame A Land-Really needs to be played live again. As you mentioned, the structure is really different, and original. There's a myriad of reasons that Maiden outpaced every other band of their generation, but in the end, there's really just one...they were better.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DTA

« Reply #248 on: August 09, 2020, 02:03:55 PM »
Run Silent Run Deep is a great song. The harmony guitar part after the solo is the single coolest moment in the entire Maiden catalog imo. I always considered NPFTD to be a really underrated album. I think a lot of fans just jump on the bandwagon of hating this album and probably haven't even listened to more than Bring Your Daughter.

Public Enema #1-  If they had only retitled this Refugees From The Pain, or something like that...
Maiden very quietly sneaks in this incredibly song in the middle of No Prayer. So glad I got to see it live.

Agreed that the title probably hurts it. It's extremely solid and contains one of the catchiest choruses I've heard from them.

The Duellists is another cool track. Nothing much more to say about it other than it deserves more attention than it gets even though it's routinely classified as "filler".

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: August 09, 2020, 02:08:28 PM »
Great to see some love for these underrated pieces.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #250 on: August 09, 2020, 02:27:46 PM »
Run Silent Run Deep is a great song. The harmony guitar part after the solo is the single coolest moment in the entire Maiden catalog imo. I always considered NPFTD to be a really underrated album. I think a lot of fans just jump on the bandwagon of hating this album and probably haven't even listened to more than Bring Your Daughter.

Exactly. I think it deserves the album ranking it gets, but it has a handful of truly excellent songs.

It was also quite disappointing in that this album was made after the longest break the band had ever had up until that point.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: August 09, 2020, 02:39:04 PM »

Exactly. I think it deserves the album ranking it gets, but it has a handful of truly excellent songs.

It was also quite disappointing in that this album was made after the longest break the band had ever had up until that point.

Lol, shows how much times have changed when that was only 2 years.  :lol

Offline The Realm

« Reply #252 on: August 09, 2020, 04:31:08 PM »
Great songs in the latest batch!

No Prayer is probably underrated overall as it does have a couple of pretty poor tracks which seems to overshadow the few gems it does have.

Big fan of The Duellists, a really awesome and under appreciated track.

To Tame a Land and Phantom are Steve Harris classics. I also love the LAD version of Phantom, but the original is also awesome.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: August 09, 2020, 05:22:30 PM »
I think songs like Holy Smoke, Bring Your Daughter and Hooks in You is what really hurts No Prayer.  Those tunes just really leave a bitter taste and probably hurt the overall impression.  I think if they are subbed for more songs like PEN1 and FW, you'd have a really complete and fantastic hard rock Maiden album.

Offline HOF

« Reply #254 on: August 09, 2020, 11:32:05 PM »
Might deserve it’s own thread. I’m not all that familiar with any of his work, but since this thread was on the front page it seemed to be an appropriate place to note Martin Birch’s passing:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/martin-birch-dead/

Offline The Realm

« Reply #255 on: August 09, 2020, 11:45:21 PM »
Yes this is very sad news. Probably does deserve its own thread but for fans of the classic era Maiden albums this hurts. RIP.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: August 10, 2020, 12:04:43 AM »
Oh wow, that is terrible news indeed.  Only 71 too.  What a producer.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: August 10, 2020, 12:11:00 AM »
RIP Mr Birch  :'(  Thanks for all the great albums you've been a part of through the years.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #258 on: August 10, 2020, 07:24:52 AM »
This is a confusing batch for me.  They're all really decent tunes, and a testament to how strong the Maiden catalogue is (none other than "Phantom" have ever been setlists stalwarts).  I'm not a fan of NPFTD, and don't really think it's a hidden gem in the catalogue, primarily because I don't like the way Dickinson sings. He's in his "AC/DC" mode here, and that's not his finest hour.  There are some good songs, though.  Tailgunner is a big winner, and I like Holy Smoke (I LOVE that intro).   It drops off after that; I'm not a fan of the "Fall on your knees today..." part of "PEN1" (and HATE the title), but I like RSRD (and Hooks In You).   Incidentially, the b-sides "All In Your Mind" and "Kill Me, C'Soir" would both probably make my Top 50. Trivia:  last album FULLY produced by Martin Birch (he co-produced FOTD with Harris). 

Phantom IS a great tune.  I like TTAL, though it's overshadowed by the best of that album (for me, Where Eagles Dare, Still Life, and Die With Your Boots On).   I was never a real fan of "The Deullists" (or "Flash Of The Blade"), much preferring the second side of the record.  TD in particular seemed like a rehash of "Losfer Words", but over the years, both songs have warmed on me, and I love Bruce's vocal on TD.  I have an instrumental version (well, about a minute and a half or so) of The Duellists that I ripped from one of the DVDs that is really cool.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: August 10, 2020, 04:36:18 PM »
I have an instrumental version (well, about a minute and a half or so) of The Duellists that I ripped from one of the DVDs that is really cool.

There was an instrumental version made?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: August 11, 2020, 07:02:02 AM »
I have an instrumental version (well, about a minute and a half or so) of The Duellists that I ripped from one of the DVDs that is really cool.

It was background music on one of the DVDs (The Early Years, or the doc on Maiden England).   Give me a couple hours to check that (it's on another computer). 

EDIT:  It's behind one of the features on the "Live After Death" DVD Bonus Disk.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 02:51:21 PM by Stadler »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: August 11, 2020, 03:26:19 PM »

It was background music on one of the DVDs (The Early Years, or the doc on Maiden England).   Give me a couple hours to check that (it's on another computer). 

EDIT:  It's behind one of the features on the "Live After Death" DVD Bonus Disk.

Huh. Well there you go.

Offline 425

« Reply #262 on: August 11, 2020, 06:32:48 PM »
35. Run Silent Run Deep

33. Phantom of the Opera

32. The Duellists

31. To Tame A Land

I really like both No Prayer songs here, actually. Public Enema Number One is a lot of fun, and of course RSRD is the best on the album in my book. I can't really argue with either Phantom or Tame around here.

The Duellists is just... not for me. It's decent, but it never made a strong impression.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: August 11, 2020, 11:10:59 PM »
I guess with The Duellists being a guitarist I probably found it much more interesting than most.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #264 on: August 12, 2020, 05:19:54 AM »
I like long cool instrumental passages. I've always like The Duellists.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: August 12, 2020, 05:30:12 AM »
I like long cool instrumental passages. I've always like The Duellists.

:metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: August 12, 2020, 05:30:30 AM »
Mid week 4 song update about to drop!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: August 12, 2020, 05:33:36 AM »
30. The Aftermath

Here we have a dark cut from the X Factor.  This one was a grower for me early on but came out as one of my favs.  I love the simple, ploddy nature of the riff.  I think it portrays the subject and atmosphere really well actually.  Great lyrics and Blaze is perfect for this song.  Song is in A minor too.  The quiet sections are beautiful.  When we finally get to the chorus, that's some powerful stuff.  The money shot of this song is that mid section.  Janick fucking destroys this with possibly the most explosive, epic part of the whole album.  When Blaze sings 'I'm just a solider,' holy shit.  Janick's sloppy playing here fits perfectly and some of his note choices are outside the scale but makes the tension even greater.  The bends at 4:40 I think he forgets he's in A and thinks he's in E but sounds so good.  Where he plays an E minor run right at the end when it's on the E chord is so good.  That melody afterwards gives me chills.  Epic tune.

Solo - Janick

29. Montsegur

Another Janick tune and right away we get Fallen Angel vibes with the heavy riff.  All E here.  The chorus here is so good and love Bruce's delivery.  Such a simple chord progression too.  What's this, a shift from E minor to E major, oh yeah.  Janick takes this solo in E minor, with a nice E harmonic minor touch in the middle too.  The harmony Janick directly ripped from the what he played on Bruce's Born in 58 (check it out).  The Dream of Mirrors section afterwards is a nice touch too.  Killer tune, underrated as hell.

Solo - Janick

28. Moonchild

The opener from the 7th Son album and a wonderful little evil number.  I'd go as far to say it's pretty under appreciated also.  The verses rip.  Love those power chords.  The chorus here is epic and the simple guitar notes underneath really lets it breathe and a great contrast from the verse.  I like Nicko on this one too, great drumming.  Love the shift to B in the bridge.  Adrian's solo is in A and as evil as it sounds, I think it's strict A minor.  Love that Lochrian type riff inbetween the solos too, that's sweet and something different for Maiden.  Some epic tapping in Dave's solo too, again in A.  Great opener.

Solo 1 - Adrian
Solo 2 - Dave

27. Judgement Day

Now, I know these bonus tracks were left off the X Factor because they really didn't fit the mood of the album, but fuck me, come on.  I wish it was a double cd like they thought about doing, this rips.  A minor and just a hard, heavy song and a few more of these tunes and Blaze I'm sure would have been more accepted.  He sounds wonderful here.  That pre chorus is so intense.  Shifts to B there where the song is in A.  Classic E minor chorus though.  That E minor riff right before the solo is brutal.  Dave absolutely rips shit here.  A minor but then D minor halfway through.  Janicks solo is nice with some jazzy elements and he's using a lot of A Dorian at the start here.  back to D for some crazy Dave dive bombs.  Ripping song.  If you don't know it, fix that now.

Solo 1 - Dave
Solo 2 - Janick
Solo 3 - Dave

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #268 on: August 12, 2020, 06:13:18 AM »
30. The Aftermath

29. Montsegur

28. Moonchild

27. Judgement Day

As usual, lots to chew on here, Kade. I'll respond tonight after work. Really like the writeups.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: August 12, 2020, 08:37:08 AM »
I've got to go back and relisten to the X Factor stuff to refresh.  I just don't go to it that much (though I did listen to the live version of Aftermath a couple days ago, and it wasn't bad). 

Moonchild is a winner, though, and I'm all for including the b-sides.  I LOVE Maiden's b-sides (phrasing!!!). 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #270 on: August 12, 2020, 04:38:02 PM »

30. The Aftermath

29. Montsegur

28. Moonchild

27. Judgement Day

Ok..

The Aftermath I actually think this song is amazing. The production, or lack of, really lets this down though.  As with most of TXF, this simply sounds like a demo. But that does not takeaway from the song itself. It took me a long time to come around on the verses, but I think that pace does a good job at replicating a march.

Montesegur Way underrated track. It's one of my favorites from Dance Of Death. Everything about it rules. I love the pace on it, and the chorus, and guitar harmonies, are great. Kade, you called it big time on Born In '58. I did listen this morning. I  have never made that OBVIOUS connection. I'm actually ashamed. Born In '58 is a Top 1 or 2 Bruce song for me.

Moonchild Classic. Iron. Maiden
I love the intro to this. A bit of accoustic style that Bruce was hoping for after Powerslave.

Judgement Day I really wish this song made the final cut. Not because I think it's a great song, but I think it would've given TXF some balance. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: August 12, 2020, 04:55:34 PM »
I've got to go back and relisten to the X Factor stuff to refresh.  I just don't go to it that much (though I did listen to the live version of Aftermath a couple days ago, and it wasn't bad). 

Moonchild is a winner, though, and I'm all for including the b-sides.  I LOVE Maiden's b-sides (phrasing!!!). 

Yeah, that live version is really good.  There's quite a few legit live Blaze tracks out there and most I really enjoy.

30. The Aftermath

29. Montsegur

28. Moonchild

27. Judgement Day

Ok..

The Aftermath I actually think this song is amazing. The production, or lack of, really lets this down though.  As with most of TXF, this simply sounds like a demo. But that does not takeaway from the song itself. It took me a long time to come around on the verses, but I think that pace does a good job at replicating a march.

Montesegur Way underrated track. It's one of my favorites from Dance Of Death. Everything about it rules. I love the pace on it, and the chorus, and guitar harmonies, are great. Kade, you called it big time on Born In '58. I did listen this morning. I  have never made that OBVIOUS connection. I'm actually ashamed. Born In '58 is a Top 1 or 2 Bruce song for me.

Moonchild Classic. Iron. Maiden
I love the intro to this. A bit of accoustic style that Bruce was hoping for after Powerslave.

Judgement Day I really wish this song made the final cut. Not because I think it's a great song, but I think it would've given TXF some balance. 

That's why even if they did a double cd like they were toying with, you add this, Justice, I Live My Way on there, it becomes so much more balanced.  Virus would have worked well in there too.  I know it was written after but would have been awesome.

Haha, I can't remember if I heard Montsegur or Born in 58 first but I remember picking it and laughing right away.  Pretty sure I already knew Born in 58.  I laugh every time.  I secretly love little hidden gems like that, wether they are intentional or not.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #272 on: August 12, 2020, 05:00:14 PM »
Moonchild is the big standout in the latest batch for me. Epic tune.
Sorry, I am not a big fan of the other tracks. I enjoy the middle and quiet sections of The Aftermath but the rest is a plodding bore to me. I do like Montseguer but find it one of those songs where it just gets too repetitive for me - give me Born in 58 anytime.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: August 12, 2020, 05:03:13 PM »
Moonchild is the big standout in the latest batch for me. Epic tune.
Sorry, I am not a big fan of the other tracks. I enjoy the middle and quiet sections of The Aftermath but the rest is a plodding bore to me. I do like Montseguer but find it one of those songs where it just gets too repetitive for me - give me Born in 58 anytime.

You don't have to apologise my friend.  :lol  I can totally see why some wouldn't be on board with a lot of my picks.  It's all good.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #274 on: August 12, 2020, 05:32:02 PM »
Thanks wolfking. I'm on board majority of your picks so far. I think this is the first batch when I'm not. Enjoying your list and your writeups.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #275 on: August 12, 2020, 05:41:15 PM »
Ok. I just gave Montsegur a listen and have to admit I did enjoy it. Actually haven't listened to this song for a while. There is some great guitar work, lots of energy and I actually really enjoy Nico's drumming on this track.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #276 on: August 12, 2020, 05:56:09 PM »
I know Tattooed Millionaire is not a very serious album, compared to what Bruce would go on to do, but I think there's a number of really strong songs on it.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #277 on: August 12, 2020, 06:48:05 PM »
Yeah, I also like Tattooed Millionaire.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #278 on: August 12, 2020, 07:00:42 PM »
July 22, 1990
The Living Room
Providence RI

Offline The Realm

« Reply #279 on: August 12, 2020, 09:28:16 PM »
Nice one TAC, I'm sure that was a great gig!