Author Topic: Iron Maiden Song Ranking Thread (Currently Ranking: Mister Gold)  (Read 29053 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: Iron Maiden Song Ranking Thread (Currently Ranking: wolfking)
« Reply #210 on: July 24, 2020, 06:11:14 AM »
Twilight Zone has always been on Killers.

Not on the original vinyl. I had to buy the single to get it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #211 on: July 24, 2020, 08:32:18 AM »
The U.S. version always had Twilight Zone, even on vinyl.  If you have a vinyl version without it, it's almost certainly a UK release.   The UK version came out something like four months in advance of the U.S. version; they were not released on the same day.

Same thing happened with "Sanctuary" on the first album; it wasn't on the initial UK release, but was on the U.S. version.

It's died out (I had actually thought it had largely died out by the 80's, when these records were released) but it was very common in the UK that anything released as a single was NOT on the associated album.   That practice didn't really hold in the U.S.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: July 24, 2020, 04:43:03 PM »
50. Total Eclipse

Speaking of non album tracks and b-sides, this is one I could never believe wasn't on the original album.  Discovering Maiden 20 years ago, the 98 cd versions are what I grew up with, although my brother did have this album on vinyl.  I love the darker tones on this song and the structure is quite different too with the song never going back to the verse or chorus.  The diminished style riff for the chorus is certainly something Maiden don't delve into and Bflat notes rarely make their way into a Maiden song if the song isn't in D.  Dave has a pretty expressive solo and his custom divebomb.  The chromatic desend at the end of his solo is cool too.  Adrian just gets the job done.

Solo1 - Dave
Solo2 - Adrian

49. Remember Tomorrow

Originally from the debut but I always loved the Real Dead One version with Bruce and probably the reason it makes the list.  Nevertheless, the debut is still classic and I do like Paul's version a lot.  Interesting chords and sees the band use the phyrgian mode.  The chorus rips with a wondeful riff.  The middle section is classic Maiden and the solos are what you expect.

Solo1 - Dave
Solo2 - Dennis

48. Fear of the Dark

Is this song overplayed to death?  Fuck yes it is.  But you can't deny the classic nature behind it.  The guitar melodies in this one are absolute classic and the verses and chorus just rip.  Not much to say, you all know this one too well.  The guitar melodies again in the middle are just lovely.  The song is in D minor too which is a nice touch.  What I like is that Janick plays his solo in D but then the key shifts to F# for Dave.  Really interesting key change.  The solos are pretty on point with their relative keys.  I will not the little three string arpeggio at the end of Dave's solo, nice touch there.

Solo1 - Janick
Solo2 - Dave

47. The Book of Souls

One thing I've learned to really love over the years is Janick's songwriting.  When you hear an intro like this, you know it's Janick.  This is a definite highlight on the album and was brilliant live.  Very very cool riff here.  One of the big reasons I love it, E phrygian mode and it really shows in that riff and the verses too.  It's cool that the verses stay true to the E phrygian mode yet the contrast in teh chorus to a stricter E minor key makes the song soar.  That chorus is awesome.  That middle riff is fucking metal too, great to hear this type of riff so late in Maiden's career.  love that guitar melody that runs through between the solos too, really Dance of Death like.

Solo1 - Dave
Solo2 - Janick
Solo3 - Adrian
Outro ad lib - Adrian

46. The Unbeliever

Another Blaze song this one.  Great closer to the album.  I always laughed at the harmonic tuning type riff at the start, but it's definitely something different.  Love the awkward verses with some cool off time stuff.  The 'All my life' part gives off a real uneasy feeling too.  I like the songs in E but that section moves to A then to D, great tension.  The chorus rips and Blaze sounds amazing!  Nice breakdown in the middle too and I love the boys ripping over what's on offer here.  They really let rip and is a great contrast to the backing. The best part is Janick shredding in E then the key change to A for Dave's solo.  Now the harmony note is the kicker as Janick finishes and Dave starts.  Now lands on a B(2nd note in the scale) and Dave starts his solo on an E(5th note of the scale)  So they are basically doing a three part harmony over the bass of A which gives a really sweet effect.  Great song, underrated.

Solo1 - Janick
Solo2 - Dave
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #213 on: July 24, 2020, 05:46:38 PM »
I really like The Unbeliever. I actually think it's the most interesting song on the album.

But this goes to my saying that this album really needed an actual producer. The verse is simply awful, and really weighs the song down a bit. But everything else in the song is pretty amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #214 on: July 24, 2020, 06:17:46 PM »
Total Eclipse is awesome, and Unbeliever is my favorite from that album. Regarding Janick’s songwriting, he’s written some good stuff but a long of his songs have a similar structure.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: July 24, 2020, 06:22:40 PM »
I really like The Unbeliever. I actually think it's the most interesting song on the album.

But this goes to my saying that this album really needed an actual producer. The verse is simply awful, and really weighs the song down a bit. But everything else in the song is pretty amazing.

Possibly yes.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: July 24, 2020, 06:23:52 PM »
Total Eclipse is awesome, and Unbeliever is my favorite from that album. Regarding Janick’s songwriting, he’s written some good stuff but a long of his songs have a similar structure.

Yeah, I guess so, but I think most of his songs have their own thing going on.  Saying that, his writing is different to the others, so his songs are a wonderful contrast within the albums. 

Offline The Realm

« Reply #217 on: July 24, 2020, 10:24:41 PM »
Overall a very good bunch of songs here. Love Total Eclipse and Remember Tomorrow. I’m not the biggest fan of The Book of Souls but it has some nice moments. The Unbeliever is one of the best songs on TXF and Fear of the Dark is a classic.

Offline 425

« Reply #218 on: July 24, 2020, 11:08:29 PM »
A group of very nice selections. I included all of them except Total Eclipse, which I nonetheless quite like. Can't forget Bruce's performance on the climactic vocal section there.

I think it's fair to say that an acoustic intro of a certain sort to a long song is quite recognizably Janick (to be fair, an opening guitar lead of a certain type is quite recognizably Dave). But I think there's also a lot distinguishing the four songs to which this really applies (Dance of Death, The Legacy, The Talisman, The Book of Souls). Book of Souls in particular almost feels like it's playing along with that pattern and then subverting it by having an acoustic section that is so much shorter than the other three. He definitely has a style, but I don't have a problem with it.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline DTA

« Reply #219 on: July 25, 2020, 06:21:21 AM »
I just began attempting to learn Fear Of The Dark on bass and noticed immediately that it wasn't going to be an EDC song...it was never a favorite of mine but somehow that makes me like it a bit more than I used to.

I commented on The Book of Souls when 425 did his so I'll repeat those thoughts:

The Book Of Souls is the best song on that album and blows away the other longer tracks. I love the acoustic intro, the slow ballsy riff that comes out of it, and the fast riff in the bridge. My only gripe with this song is a Nicko fuck-up/editing mistake with the hihat in the middle section at around 5:30. In fact, I just did a relisten to respond to your post and I think this may be the best long song of the entire reunion era.

Remember Tomorrow is a great choice. I think I've actually listened to the Metallica version more ( :o)  but it's just a fantastic song all around. This is another one I forget exists as I don't listen to the debut as much as I should.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: July 25, 2020, 03:14:53 PM »
I'll have to check that Nicko stuff up.

FOTD is in the key of D also, DTA.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #221 on: July 25, 2020, 04:27:56 PM »
50. Total Eclipse

Speaking of non album tracks and b-sides, this is one I could never believe wasn't on the original album.  Discovering Maiden 20 years ago, the 98 cd versions are what I grew up with, although my brother did have this album on vinyl.  I love the darker tones on this song and the structure is quite different too with the song never going back to the verse or chorus.  The diminished style riff for the chorus is certainly something Maiden don't delve into and Bflat notes rarely make their way into a Maiden song if the song isn't in D.  Dave has a pretty expressive solo and his custom divebomb.  The chromatic desend at the end of his solo is cool too.  Adrian just gets the job done.

Solo1 - Dave
Solo2 - Adrian

49. Remember Tomorrow

Originally from the debut but I always loved the Real Dead One version with Bruce and probably the reason it makes the list.  Nevertheless, the debut is still classic and I do like Paul's version a lot.  Interesting chords and sees the band use the phyrgian mode.  The chorus rips with a wondeful riff.  The middle section is classic Maiden and the solos are what you expect.

Solo1 - Dave
Solo2 - Dennis

48. Fear of the Dark

Is this song overplayed to death?  Fuck yes it is.  But you can't deny the classic nature behind it.  The guitar melodies in this one are absolute classic and the verses and chorus just rip.  Not much to say, you all know this one too well.  The guitar melodies again in the middle are just lovely.  The song is in D minor too which is a nice touch.  What I like is that Janick plays his solo in D but then the key shifts to F# for Dave.  Really interesting key change.  The solos are pretty on point with their relative keys.  I will not the little three string arpeggio at the end of Dave's solo, nice touch there.

Solo1 - Janick
Solo2 - Dave

47. The Book of Souls

One thing I've learned to really love over the years is Janick's songwriting.  When you hear an intro like this, you know it's Janick.  This is a definite highlight on the album and was brilliant live.  Very very cool riff here.  One of the big reasons I love it, E phrygian mode and it really shows in that riff and the verses too.  It's cool that the verses stay true to the E phrygian mode yet the contrast in teh chorus to a stricter E minor key makes the song soar.  That chorus is awesome.  That middle riff is fucking metal too, great to hear this type of riff so late in Maiden's career.  love that guitar melody that runs through between the solos too, really Dance of Death like.

Solo1 - Dave
Solo2 - Janick
Solo3 - Adrian
Outro ad lib - Adrian

46. The Unbeliever

Another Blaze song this one.  Great closer to the album.  I always laughed at the harmonic tuning type riff at the start, but it's definitely something different.  Love the awkward verses with some cool off time stuff.  The 'All my life' part gives off a real uneasy feeling too.  I like the songs in E but that section moves to A then to D, great tension.  The chorus rips and Blaze sounds amazing!  Nice breakdown in the middle too and I love the boys ripping over what's on offer here.  They really let rip and is a great contrast to the backing. The best part is Janick shredding in E then the key change to A for Dave's solo.  Now the harmony note is the kicker as Janick finishes and Dave starts.  Now lands on a B(2nd note in the scale) and Dave starts his solo on an E(5th note of the scale)  So they are basically doing a three part harmony over the bass of A which gives a really sweet effect.  Great song, underrated.

Solo1 - Janick
Solo2 - Dave

It was late and it seems I only commented on The Unbeliever.

I LOVE The Book Of Souls. Top 20 tune IMO. And I really don't care for mid tempo, but this song is amazing. Especially where it picks up. I love Bruce on this too. And such great solos.

Fear Of The Dark is my #2 IM song. I love it and it always gets me going.

Remember Tomorrow I think made my Top 25. It might get bumped, but still in my Top 50.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: July 26, 2020, 04:09:38 AM »
I think the fact how overplayed FOTD is hurts it's ranking for me long term.  It's no doubt a classic but I think the band have relied on it too much in a live setting.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #223 on: July 26, 2020, 04:21:02 AM »
Yeah totally agree about FOTD being overplayed. I tend to agree. That also hurts if for me in term of ranking.

I gave The Book of Souls a few spins today as it is getting a lot of love. Even though I have been a big fan of it I can see why. The intro and the heavy riff are awesome. I think I have always been a bit overwhelmed by that whole album that most songs never really clicked with me that much.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #224 on: July 26, 2020, 04:53:19 AM »
Spinning these later this morning.  FOTD is one of the few songs from the 90s that I consider good/great.  But I think part of that is because the vast majority of their 90s output is tripe.  And yeah... overplayed as fuck.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: July 26, 2020, 04:56:39 AM »
45. Purgatory

What an underrated gem this one is.  Short, punky, to the point, melodic and lovely harmonies.  The mix is really good too with the harmonies perfectly split between the speakers.  I love how the harmony is the actual riff here in the verse, very cool.  Paul rocks here.  This is one I haven't really studied musically to be honest but I'm just noodling right now and it's in B minor and shifts to D in the chorus.  Nice shift in key change and you hear that nicely at 1:16.  Bruce would have been interesting on this one.

Solo - Dave

44. Killers

Let's back it up with the title track of the album.  That first minute is so cool and Paul sounds great.  Trusty old E minor here and I love what Dave does with the riff.  To get that knife wielding sound, Dave gallops on the open E but slowly rolls his finger over the strings producing some natural harmonics.  You can see it nicely on Maiden England.  Bruce sounds great on that version, but I always liked Paul here.  Solid solos, that little Dorian type thing Dave does at 3:05 is very cool.  His little signature open trilling with the E minor notes is in there too.  With Adrian's I like that the solo is in E although at the end of the solo where it resolves he follows the chords so as the chords hit B to start ascending to the resolve, he plays B minor with a blues note in there.  As the chords hits C, he actually runs up the C Lydian mode then goes into D and hits a D and bends to the E once we are back into the main riff.  Really really clever.

Solo1 - Dave
Solo2 - Adrian

43. The Legacy

Again, the intro has Janick written all over it.  This one has been a real grower over the years.  I actually didn't think much of it but now realise how awesome it is.  I haven't tried to play this one at all, so can't comment much.  Sounds like it's in D though and noodling around, it is.  The main verses remind me of Edguy for some reason.  This one is just epic all over.  The part inbetween the verses sounds like it's going between D minor and D major to give that real contrast.  Not the first time Janick has toyed with that sort of thing though.  builds nicely to an epic chours and Bruce sounds awesome here.  His doubled vocals are great.  That riff though in the second half, that riff.  Had to figure that riff out it stays in D but it rolls over a flattened 5th note in the first part of the riff.  The rest of the riff is in D minor though but that flattened 5th really gives it that awkward evil sound.  We then get some classic straightforward Maiden in E but I LOVE the guitar melody at 7:20, that's just amazing.  Great song.

Solo - Janick

42. Fates Warning

Alright, let me have it!!  No Prayer was the second album I got from Maiden.  I only new TNOTB and got this not long after second hand.  I loved it.  I understand the dislike behind it, but back then, I thought it was great.  This is a highlight.  I love the lyrics and verses are just bloody brilliant.  It's obvioulsy a Dave song by the intro but I know I'll get slagged but this is just a great rocking song.  Basic E minor here bar the intro which is A.  The volcano section is cool, it seems to be in A Major with a nice Amaj7 chord in there too.  Switches to A minor for that cool change in sound for Dave's solo.  F minor for the harmonies and Janicks solo is very cool which switches to C# minor.  Maiden are a simple band, but their use of key changes through songs I feel is sometimes underrated.

Intro solo - Dave
Solo 1 - Dave
Solo 2 - Janick

41. The Evil That Men Do

First entry from 7th Son here.  Great intro.  I was introduced to this song from Live at Donington 92.  That may be my fav version, the energy and speed on that one is ripping.  The original though is so good and polished nicely.  E minor of course and great gallop throughout.  I like how the pre chorus is a single note melody too from the intro.  Works nicely, and when Adrian comes in for those few harmonies notes halfway through, it's a nice touch.  The chorus is classic, simple but classic.  The solo from Adrian is really different too even though it's just in F# minor.  Nice melodic stuff going on here.  Ending the solo on the G note as it goes back to E minor is nice too.  Gives a chromatic feel as he ends on that.

Solo - Adrian
Outro solo - Adrian

Offline DTA

« Reply #226 on: July 26, 2020, 06:33:33 AM »
Happy to see a No Prayer song make it. I rank that album very high and Fates Warning is one of the best songs on there.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #227 on: July 26, 2020, 07:22:16 AM »
Latest batch are all great songs! Yes even Fates Warning. I’m also a fan of that one. I actually enjoy No Prayer much more now than when it came out. When I first heard it on the day of release I was so disappointed! Couldn’t believe it was Maiden. But now I actually like it quite a bit.

The Evil That Men Do is a personal fav of mine so that would be a fair bit higher. Overall though all these songs would be in my top 50.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #228 on: July 26, 2020, 09:05:43 AM »
The rest of the riff is in D minor though but that flattened 5th really gives it that awkward evil sound. 
I've always liked that!  :metal

There's plenty of Di'Anno era in the last two updates, which is very refreshing to see.  :tup

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: July 26, 2020, 03:23:07 PM »
The rest of the riff is in D minor though but that flattened 5th really gives it that awkward evil sound. 
I've always liked that!  :metal

There's plenty of Di'Anno era in the last two updates, which is very refreshing to see.  :tup

That riff is really original.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: July 27, 2020, 09:12:20 AM »
I think the fact how overplayed FOTD is hurts it's ranking for me long term.  It's no doubt a classic but I think the band have relied on it too much in a live setting.

But it's a double edged sword; I always thought it was an above average song, but not worthy of it's hallowed (see what I did there?) place in so many setlists.  But seeing it live... it takes on a whole new vibe.  I almost never play it when I'm listening to Maiden's recorded stuff, but I look forward to it when it's in the set. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #231 on: July 27, 2020, 09:52:32 AM »
A band overplaying songs (or just hearing them too much over the years from radio and such, which isn't the band's fault) can definitely have a long lasting negative effect. It's a big reason why I can't rank The Number of the Beast that high among their albums because Run to the Hills and the title track are just so overplayed to me.

Offline 425

« Reply #232 on: July 27, 2020, 11:07:23 AM »
45. Purgatory

44. Killers

43. The Legacy

42. Fates Warning

41. The Evil That Men Do

Interesting set of choices, only one of which was on my list (The Legacy, which I put much higher).

The Evil That Men Do is the one I like best out of the other four. I really like the verses, and you're right about the energy it has live.

Fates Warning is a good undercard choice from No Prayer. Wouldn't be nearly this high for me, but it's nice to see a rare selection like this. I hope to see more from that album on your list, actually. A fun song.

I've outed myself as a Killers heretic already. The title track is one of the best songs on there, but for me it's still nowhere close to this high. Purgatory is fun but nothing special. Still nice to see on a list as a bit of an unusual selection.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: July 27, 2020, 12:11:08 PM »
Huh.  I just found out that when I uploaded Killers, it swapped "Prodigal Son" and "Purgatory".  I love both, by the way.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: July 28, 2020, 04:46:06 AM »
Yeah, obscure choices for sure.  Of all the above, The Evil That Men Do is the only one I'd consider better than 'good'.  Will spin 'em all momentarily.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: July 29, 2020, 05:06:45 AM »
Not sure I'll get an update in before the weekend.  Work has been a bitch and I like to sit down on the PC at home and have a noodle through the songs on the geetar.  Been home late so no real time through the week this week.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #236 on: July 29, 2020, 10:46:03 AM »
Yeah, obscure choices for sure.  Of all the above, The Evil That Men Do is the only one I'd consider better than 'good'.  Will spin 'em all momentarily.

But the Killers album is awesome!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: July 29, 2020, 11:32:17 AM »

But the Killers album is awesome!

Yeah, it's certainly better than anything from the 90s.  I recant my above statement... Killers (song) is definitely better than 'good';  Purgatory is good.  Fates Warning isn't as awful as I generally consider No Prayer as a whole, but I can't say that it's good.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: August 02, 2020, 04:50:15 AM »
40. The Clansman

This is one that's always been appreciated from the underappreicate Blaze era and it's easy to see why.  A classic Harris epic and a Maiden classic no matter what you think of the Blaze stuff.  The 'Freedom' chours is beautiful.  The verses are in A and the chorus shifts to E which is cool and feels epic.  Beautiful instrumental section with lovely epic guitar melodies.  Really gives off the atmosphere of the songs lyrical content.  Interesting that again, the guitars are in unison.  Nothing harmonized.  Short and to the point solos.  9 minutes long but nothing overstays its welcome.  Some would argue the 'no I'm not gonna take anymore' overstays it's welcome, but it was made for a live setting, so it's fine.  That melody after too is killer.  Love Dave borrowing Adrians Wasted Years riff in that last chorus too haha.  He loved it so much that as you would notice from earlier it pops up in the Fallen Angel too lol.

Solo 1 - Janick
Solo 2 - Dave

39. The Red and the Black

The first time I heard The Book of Souls I loved this one right away.  I love how the band finally do a 13 minute song without any quiet sections, just rips from start to finish and doesn't let up.  I love Steve's Blood on the Worlds Hands inspired intro.  So rough and sloppy but he doesn't give a shit haha.  This is pure Steve Harris all over this song, and for a song so late in their career, this feels like a song that sums the band up.  The Run Silent Run Deep and Mariner vibe going on in the song is much appreciated.  Musically, as with a lot of Steve's songs, there's not a hell of a lot going on here.  E minor, but has nice changes again to E major.  I'm realising the band have done this sort of thing more than I thought.  The solos are pretty pedestrian, but the harmonies are where its at.  The melodies here remind me actually heavily of the Clansman.  I just love the instrumental section, one of the coolest things Maiden have done.  It's exactly 6 fucking minutes long!!!

Solo 1 - Adrian
Solo 2 - Janick
Solo 3 - Dave
Solo 4 - Adrian

38. Children of the Damned

We go back now to 1982 to the second song on this classic.  Beautiful E minor, C and D arpreggios here which is very dreamy and Bruce sounds lovely.  The chorus riff is simple, but the E to B before going into the C and then D, sounds really killer and evil and a great touch.  Simple stuff musically here but nothing more is needed.  The double time section really starts to build the tension, and Clive owns this section with some wonderful tom work.  Such a brilliant and underrated drummer Clive was.  It's a shame he didn't go on with it.  The solo is something different too.  Strictly tapping besides the 2 notes at the end of each section.  I'm sure Kirk took a lot of inspiration for his One solo too from Adrian here.

Solo - Adrian

37. Brave New World

Brave New World came out on my birthday in 2000 and I remember the day perfectly.  This was always a special album because of that.  Mum took me to the city where I found this in HMV.  Going home and playing it was magic.  Such a fond memory.  I loved the whole thing.  This one always stood out.  I loved the dreamy intro, really beautifully done.  Dave writes most of this one, you can hear it.  In D too.  He loves D minor.  The verses rip.  Amazing drumming from Nicko here and even though the chorus has the repetitive chorus, I've never had a problem with it.  Great tempo and beat shift from the chorus to the verse too.  The vocal melody played by Janick underneath is a nice, effective touch.  As for the solos, Dave keeps it 90's era with strictly himself and Janick.  Janick leads off in D and his back half of the solo is a very nice touch.  Really epic and probably the best part of the song.  The shift to E minor however for Dave's shred just turns it up a notch.  He fucking rips here.  The 3 part harmonies top it off and you couldn't ask for much more.  This song may have been higher years ago, it was always a fav but I think it's slipped over the years.  Even though I don't really have a problem with Maiden's repetitive choruses, I can see why people do.

Solo 1 - Janick
Solo 2 - Dave

36.  The Thin Line Between Love and Hate

We're sticking with BNW here for the closer which again, is something really original for the band.  Another composition from Dave and Brave New World, might be Dave's finest hour in terms of songwriting.  F# this one is in, which doesn't happen all that often.  Great lyrics this one and Bruce really shows his range.  The verses are quite low, but the chorus, he fucking soars.  One of Maidens' best choruses?  Maybe.  THe chorus is your typical E/C/G/D which Maiden know and love but in F#.  Works so well and Bruce's vocal melodies as I said are brilliant.  I love his low end harmony in there too.  Dave is the star here with the solos and they shred.  I love the Gary Moore inpiried chromatic run down at 3:14.  You can hear him do that in Don't Look to the Eyes of A Stranger too.   Really cool trick.  Love the guitar line echoing the vocal line too when it comes to the quiet section.  Bruce again sounds so good.  Props to Janick for stepping in with that last solo too, holy shit that's a good one.  Underrated as hell song this one, it really is.

Solo 1 - Dave
Solo 2 - Dave
Solo 3 - Dave
Solo 4 - Dave
Solo 5 - Janick
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 10:00:35 PM by wolfking »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #239 on: August 02, 2020, 05:21:39 AM »
Nice!! Thin Line is their most underrated song, love it (it was #1 on my list the first go-round).

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: August 02, 2020, 05:28:15 AM »
 :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #241 on: August 02, 2020, 06:45:27 AM »
40. The Clansman

37. Brave New World

Best 5 song batch yet!  :metal

I don't have time for a full post right now, so I'll expand my thoughts tonight.

Offline 425

« Reply #242 on: August 02, 2020, 09:41:20 PM »
40. The Clansman

37. Brave New World

I like this set of songs a lot, even though I only put The Clansman on my own list. The Red and the Black and The Thin Line Between Love and Hate were both just a few spots away. Thin Line falls a tiny bit short to me on the early verses before it gets really good when it opens up. Really good Dave song and a very nice album closer. I feel like I'm still waiting on The Red and the Black to click hard for me. I know it's been five years, but I still feel like there's something in there for me that I'm not quite hearing yet.

Brave New World was my second-ever Maiden song after The Clansman. It's a really good one, but I am one of those people who finds the chorus a bit too repetitive.

I like Children of the Damned quite a lot, too. Just one of those really good ones that didn't quite make it for me.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline The Realm

« Reply #243 on: August 02, 2020, 10:27:34 PM »
The Clansman - agree with everything and I would probably rank it around the same
The Red and the Black - kind of agree with 425 on this one. Also when I saw it played live, I have to admit I was kind of bored during it, I don't think the song clicked with the whole crowd that night.
Brave New World and Thin Line are really great songs. No arguments from me about including them in this batch.
Children of the Dammed - without a doubt a top 20 song for me. Absolutely love it and always have. Awesome acoustic type verses and cool chorus. The heavy vocal part by Bruce is one of favourite vocal sections and Adrian's solo is top notch.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #244 on: August 06, 2020, 07:35:51 AM »
40. The Clansman

37. Brave New World

I thought The Clansmen made my Top 10 years back. It is an amazing song. I actually think it's one of the best they've ever written.

The instrumental section of TRATB is incredible. It is sheer joy to listen to. I really wish they did more of that sort of thing. I wonder how many of their instrumental sections in songs start out just like that and are cut down for the final version.  Glad to see it included here making the Top 40.

Children Of The Damned is firmly entrenched in my Top 10. One of my favorites. Love when Bruce starts singing the 2nd verse coming out of the chorus. Goosebumps!

I like Brave New World well enough. To me, the song really comes alive on Death On The Road. And the three part harmony in the middle is spine tingling.

TTLBLAH has always been one of my faves on BNW. That closing section is really unique in their catalog.