Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 353978 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

That was a big problem with Black Clouds. We heard AROP and I think Wither or ANTR before the album was out and it's only 6 tracks long. So you've already heard 33% of the entire album.

Eh, not really. That's kind of like saying if you've listened to Circumstances and The Trees, you've listened to half of Hemispheres. Wither (which we can probably disregard anyway, given that it wasn't a single until after the album's release) and A Rite of Passage were 13 minutes out of a 75 minute album where the other four tracks pretty much had the musical content of multiple "normal" songs. 5 and 19 minute songs aren't really equals in this context. Untethered Angel and Fall Into the Light actually take up much more time proportionally on Distance Over Time, especially with Paralyzed added in.

But if you weren't a fan of the other tracks and didn't listen to them that much, then it didn't matter if they were 20 minutes or 3 minutes long.

Offline Peter Mc

So what do we think is the first single? I'm thinking ATC (Answer the Call)
I guess not, because it has mostly been the usual IO strategy to have the opening piece of an album be the first piece of music we hear. If you remember, we were teased with Untethered Angel at the end of the first ARG in 2018 and that was the first piece we heard from D/T, so I guess TA will be the first single.

Not necessarily. For LTE3, the first single was The Passage of Time. Though we did get Hypersonic a little later.

On another note, personally I'd love if they only had one single instead of three. I don't want to hear almost half the album before it's even out

That was a big problem with Black Clouds. We heard AROP and I think Wither or ANTR before the album was out and it's only 6 tracks long. So you've already heard 33% of the entire album.

I wouldn’t swear to it but I’m pretty sure I’d only heard AROP before the album came out.

Offline Enigmachine

But if you weren't a fan of the other tracks and didn't listen to them that much, then it didn't matter if they were 20 minutes or 3 minutes long.

Well yeah, but that's beside the point. It still isn't 33% of the album just because it's 2 out of 6 tracks if there's a wide disparity in song lengths. That distinction in tracks only really means that there's more connective tissue between the musical content, so I guess more is at stake if you don't like that suite of ideas as a whole, but that's a different argument being made. Honestly, for me it doesn't really make much difference anyway, given that I don't tend to sample individual tracks after an album is released (or remove them from an album's flow).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Simple solution; don't listen to any of the released tracks until you have the album as a whole...

I’d love to but that would require an insane amount of self-control.

When a new DT single comes out, I usually listen to it 1000x for a few weeks :lol I feel your pain.

I tend to listen to new albums A LOT when they come out for a very short period of time then never again. That way when the next album rolls around - the previous one

still feels kinda new and fresh to me and the wait doesn't seem as long. Distance Over Time still feels very recent to me.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I always listen to new singles a couple times before the album release. Doesn't seem to affect my enjoyment of the album.

The only time it was a noticeable issue was when I heard CM and then TDEN, I thought SC was going to be a heaping pile of trash. Once I got the album, and got through ItPoE pt 1, my fears were allayed.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MirrorMask

I went in blind with all the latest DT albums. Made a point to not hear a single note beforehand. It's not that hard, especially if you resist the first day or so - if the new song is out and you don't listen to it, then after a couple of day it's easier to carry on as nothing happened.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jjfumbly

I went in blind with all the latest DT albums. Made a point to not hear a single note beforehand. It's not that hard, especially if you resist the first day or so - if the new song is out and you don't listen to it, then after a couple of day it's easier to carry on as nothing happened.

That’s going to be a little more difficult if there’s an 8-String involved.

Though I shall be attempting this method for DT15.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
I, on the other hand, am going to listen to everything they throw at me because hell knows I have no self-control. :lol

Offline evilasiojr

With DoT, I listened to the singles A LOT, it really affected the way I listened to the whole album afterwards. It seemed like those songs didn't fit the rest of the album.

I tried something different with a recent release, Haken's Virus. I listened to the three singles only a couple of times out of curiosity and "saved" the rest for when the album came out. It actually worked really well! I was only left with a few memories I had of the songs and they didn't feel worn out when the whole thing was out. Gonna try this with DT15. But it is a lot of self control not to listen the songs over and over, yes. To those who don't suffer anymore, I admire you  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Sometimes, I much prefer holding out and reading all the reactions and comments to the song first.  Builds more anticipation.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Trav86

In an interview on Prog Rock Digital, James said the US tour will start at the end of October  :metal

This means that DT15 will be released between late September and early October  :coolio

If that’s the case we should get some tour info with the announcement. October is fairly soon.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline dream75

I think the US tour will be announced on Wednesday

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

I have too long a track record now of hearing early release singles and snippets and HATING them, while when the album comes out I either like or love them.   Van Halen, DT, Wolfie Van Halen, Arc Of Life... it's happened too many times for it to be a coincidence.  So I wait for the record now, like we used to do back in the day.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
I guess someone of the forum tried something : https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2653197374981116&id=1636352113332319&__cft__[0]=AZUr9c02whqikOLP69vSadMKWcHyJiME3IlHjxcRMfIBPjX_TUhN4Ul96iuihkE5kH6MiVtnmZtCw93JjOsoo084nEIBYT2CE29R31D0WeTQ88YmcGcKCGPx4eF8A4w3Wr6ZQrsbVq42l12hUUODWvw4&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R

:D
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Mladen

That looks like fan art. But it also looks like Hugh Syme.  ;D

Offline LordJordan

I don't know why the DT fanbase hates so much Hugh Syme's work, I like his graphics even if sometimes they seem a little bit... Paint-ish.
Anyway, this is for sure a fanart, even if Syme is not the best artist out there this is not his style: overlapping levels, a confused topic, no strong DT logo reference.
I'm way more interested in the tracklist guessing
"Step after step, we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living it has become too late."

Former ItalianVoices member (I see you others)

Offline Trav86

I guess someone of the forum tried something : https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2653197374981116&id=1636352113332319&__cft__[0]=AZUr9c02whqikOLP69vSadMKWcHyJiME3IlHjxcRMfIBPjX_TUhN4Ul96iuihkE5kH6MiVtnmZtCw93JjOsoo084nEIBYT2CE29R31D0WeTQ88YmcGcKCGPx4eF8A4w3Wr6ZQrsbVq42l12hUUODWvw4&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R

:D

The Alienist? 😂
Can't we find the minds

Offline illusionist

No one from the band has said anything about DT15 being a concept album,but...
Is it only me that i think their song titles are part of a greater whole?
If not a SFAM type of concept,at least a thematic Octavarium-like album.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Well given that we don't know the song titles yet except for uninformed guesses, not sure how we would assume the titles to be part of a greater whole?
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Setlist Scotty

I don't know why the DT fanbase hates so much Hugh Syme's work, I like his graphics even if sometimes they seem a little bit... Paint-ish.
Personally, I really do like a lot of Syme's work. I think he has some amazing ideas. My biggest issue is the execution of his work - over the years, he seems to have gotten a bit sloppy. And now with stock photography becoming so prevalent, his constant reliance on using it.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Raise the Drum

• ::::::::::|...|::::::::::
  • Ñ

Concept like SFAM or Octavarium would be cool,
i am hoping that they bring back eventually the "mini suites" like A mind beside itself
Seeing no divisions in the tracklist, i think this is not the case

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

I have the same feeling too. I'm guessing that it's not going to be a concept album in the traditional sense of the term, but rather a collection of songs/tales that somehow they connect with a certain theme or idea. JP is invested in a style of storytelling with his lyrics approach so why not..we'll see.

Offline goo-goo

DT's Official FB page already has some "upcoming events" lined up. Seems like Arch Echo is touring with them as well.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit

Offline illusionist

I like the blue font, as in ADTOE.
But this 'thing' which the kid stands upon...So ugly and like a NOMAC 2.0
The title of the album seems to confirm: A view from the top of the world.
I don't like it, not DT-y at all,but it is what it is.

PS> To stretch beyond our limits
To blaze a brand new trail..

Offline gzarruk

Seems like spoilers came from the official DT page this time? Hope they move the info release to today :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Trav86

Special guest means no “Evening With”.
Also, you think they would announce something before this stuff started coming out on FB.

Also, that supposed fan-art from earlier is looking more accurate.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Enigmachine

Notably, the page for this has the rest of the image: https://iconmusiccenter.com/concerts/2021/12/dream-theater

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Notably, the page for this has the rest of the image: https://iconmusiccenter.com/concerts/2021/12/dream-theater

If I lived in Cincinnati, I'd buy those Arby's we have the seats tickets. 😂
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline geeeemo

My excitement is now mixed with some disappointment...sharing 3 hours of music with some other band.   :'(  I am not really surprised, but since I a late to the game I selfishly want only DT at the concert. Of course this also means less selection of material.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...

Seems like spoilers came from the official DT page this time? Hope they move the info release to today :P

It seems Somewhere Else's Marillion album cover.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline zappafrank2112

It seems Somewhere Else's Marillion album cover.

My 1st thought exactly

Offline Enigmachine

I mean, let's just remember that even the "normal tours" can still go up to nearly two hours, which is still a pretty sizable amount of material (plus, we're probably not going to get another anniversary tour, which means that there'd likely be a bit more album variety and the most free space in about six years). We've got to remember that it's been a long time since they last toured, going straight into maximum length shows would be a bit of an unfair trial by fire.

Offline goo-goo

Arch Echo is a hell of a band. A lot of people will dig them. I’m a huge fan of them and will not miss bill at all.

Offline nikatapi

Photo is legit, I've found another one for another date of the tour
https://wmmr.com/contests/dream-theater-the-met-21/#//