Author Topic: 2020 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady aging better than Mila Kunis  (Read 118414 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady aging better than Mila Kunis
« Reply #2450 on: February 08, 2021, 07:45:51 AM »
Look, I don't know who to reply to directly, but all the excuses in the world don't change the fact that at the end of the day, the best "athlete" doesn't necessarily win the most games.   We can go back and parse each of the TEN Super Bowls that Brady was in and come up with calls that went for him, and calls that went against him.  The end of the day, in 20 years in the league, he's been in the Super Bowl HALF the time.  He's personally got more Super Bowl wins than any ORGANIZATION in the league.   Steve Spagnola is no slouch; he's done it before, battling and beating Brady in the Super Bowl, but he couldn't dial it up this time.  Brady out-gamed him.   I'm no Todd Bowles fan (the idea that Arians would step aside and let him take over; if I'm a Bucs fan, I'm screaming NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! like Luke Skywalker!) but he outgamed Eric Bieniemy.   He's known for being a blitzer, and he blitzed, what, five times, max?

Patrick Mahomes is a superb athlete; that sidearm throw from the sideline, even though it fell incomplete, was one of the best throws I've ever seen.  It fell incomplete.   At some point, though, the game has to be played; this is certainly NOT the first time that a superb athlete has been on the losing side of a strategic encounter.  This is, frankly, how Bill Belichick has made his name over the years; his stock in trade is beating superb and in many cases superior athletes with superior execution and a superior game plan.   I think Nick Burleson said it best (and I'm paraphrasing):  "I would never call an NFL team "soft", especially not in a game like this, but one team came out far more aggresive and tough, from the opening whistle until the confetti fell, and that's why they won this game".  I think that's right.   Penalties or no penalties, Mathieu was defeated about midway through the second quarter.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2451 on: February 08, 2021, 07:56:37 AM »
So I watched the commercial to see what the fuss was about.  I'm honestly kinda bothered by the shade thrown at her here.  Sure, she's thin af, but I'd hardly say that she's aged poorly.  IMO, Kucher looks just as "bad"... he's rather pasty looking, and caked with TV makeup.

Plus, it's a dumbass commercial.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #2452 on: February 08, 2021, 08:00:51 AM »
My wife's former student, who regularly returns to visit her in the offseason, #76 Donovan Smith for Tampa, is now a Super Bowl champion. He's a good dude and I am happy for him. Other than that, I couldn't have had less of a dog in this fight. But I was entertained.

Also, Mila Kunis is still incredibly attractive, I don't care how "old, skinny, or whatever" she has become. People age. I'm certainly not aging as gracefully as she seems to be, so whatever. I've always thought she was cute as fuck, and that's still true.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2453 on: February 08, 2021, 08:02:18 AM »
So I watched the commercial to see what the fuss was about.  I'm honestly kinda bothered by the shade thrown at her here.  Sure, she's thin af, but I'd hardly say that she's aged poorly.  IMO, Kucher looks just as "bad"... he's rather pasty looking, and caked with TV makeup.

She didn't look bad at all.  I don't get it either.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2454 on: February 08, 2021, 08:04:08 AM »
I hate that kind of taunting.  Play the game, finish it off, then celebrate.

I generally agree......but I liked that one right there in that moment.

It was a really dumb penalty.  He could have laughed at him and made his peace sign 10 feet away, and there would have been no flag.  Standing over him and getting in his face to do it while he was down on the ground was unnecessary and should have been obvious flag-bait.

I think it was a semi-payback on Tyreek Hill from the previous meeting between the two when Hill dominated the defense, it was his celebration move that Winfield was mocking back at him. I think he did because it was late in the game and at that point it didn't matter much. I thought it was hilarious. Of course though, I could be biased.

No, I get all that.  I'm just saying it was dumb to get right in Hill's face.  He could have done the exact same thing from 10 feet back, and probably no flag.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2455 on: February 08, 2021, 08:05:57 AM »

Patrick Mahomes is a superb athlete; that sidearm throw from the sideline, even though it fell incomplete, was one of the best throws I've ever seen.  It fell incomplete. 

That should've been a catch.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2456 on: February 08, 2021, 08:10:04 AM »

Patrick Mahomes is a superb athlete; that sidearm throw from the sideline, even though it fell incomplete, was one of the best throws I've ever seen.  It fell incomplete. 

He was out of bounds.  It was amazing just a foot off.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2457 on: February 08, 2021, 08:24:13 AM »

He was out of bounds.  It was amazing just a foot off.

No, that was the corner throw to Pringle where he spun around and chucked it. Wasn't the sidearm throw to Hill?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #2458 on: February 08, 2021, 08:39:47 AM »
I think there were a more than a couple of incredible throws by Mahomes while being chased by 1,000 lbs from every which way. The superman one is probably the one being referred to where it hits the other guy in the facemask which probably could've been caught.

I don't know if this is the direct link
https://www.nfl.com/games/chiefs-at-buccaneers-2020-post-4

It's the one titled

"Bucs break up Mahomes' unreal fourth-and-9 heave for turnover on downs"
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2459 on: February 08, 2021, 08:53:18 AM »
I didn't catch the game except for the odd play here and there in between shoveling snow, and every time I came in Mahomes had the ball.  I must have seen half a dozen plays where he just barely avoided getting sacked, but managed to hit the receiver in the hands and still end up with an incomplete pass.  So from the little bit I saw and from the post-game analysis I've been reading, the blame for this loss -at least a sizeable portion of it- can be laid at the feet of Mahome's pass receivers.  I mean, if you're hitting your receivers in the face with the ball every freaking time and they drop it, that's not on you.  He got robbed by his own teammates.

I'm from Boston and even I'm sick of Tom Brady  :lol   I was kind of rooting against him, thinking it would be cool if Mahomes could pull off a repeat but also beating the best quarterback in 50 years on his home field would have been an ultra-sweet victory for that kid and would have launched him into the stratosphere in terms of accomplishments.  Instead his team was kind of dominated by Tampa Bay.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2460 on: February 08, 2021, 09:03:19 AM »
My wife's former student, who regularly returns to visit her in the offseason, #76 Donovan Smith for Tampa, is now a Super Bowl champion. He's a good dude and I am happy for him. Other than that, I couldn't have had less of a dog in this fight. But I was entertained.

Would that be Owings Mills HS?

I noticed that the Chiefs were 0-6 inside the 30 as to TDs.  That was key. 

Timing is everything.  The Bucs were healthy, took advantage of bone headed mistakes by their opponents, didn't shoot themselves in the foot, and played old school smash mouth football for the past couple of months.  The Chiefs had a JV offensive line, and couldn't get out of their own way on too many occasions.  ST were a disaster other than Butker.

Such is the Not (always) Fair League.

Geez.....the Lightning, the Bucs, and the Rays (almost).  Good thing they don't have the NBA in that region.

The elephant in the room....all the pre and post game unmasked gatherings :facepalm:
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2461 on: February 08, 2021, 09:06:46 AM »
Oh yeah, even though she has aged a bit, Mila still looked good for sure! And the thread title here is mostly in jest. Just harmless fun.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2462 on: February 08, 2021, 09:10:14 AM »
Oh yeah, even though she has aged a bit, Mila still looked good for sure! And the thread title here is mostly in jest. Just harmless fun.

I got no prob with the thread title... the fact it was even brought up in the first place is my wtf?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2463 on: February 08, 2021, 09:11:34 AM »

Geez.....the Lightning, the Bucs, and the Rays (almost).  Good thing they don't have the NBA in that region.

But this year...they do!

Watch the Tampa Bay Raptors go on a run!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2464 on: February 08, 2021, 09:37:47 AM »
Where would Tom Brady be if the “tuck rule” never happened?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2465 on: February 08, 2021, 09:54:49 AM »

I'm laughing because the game must've been that boring that all I see is Mila Kunis on here. And on Facebook, it's all the Streak Guy.

No mention of the game at all... :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2466 on: February 08, 2021, 09:58:30 AM »
Exactly, the game was crap from a competitive standpoint, and we gotta talk about something, so there we go.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2467 on: February 08, 2021, 10:10:22 AM »

But this year...they do!

Watch the Tampa Bay Raptors go on a run!

YEAH!!!  Let's watch that!!!!

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. Super Bowl 55: Chiefs vs Bucs
« Reply #2468 on: February 08, 2021, 10:31:49 AM »
I hate that kind of taunting.  Play the game, finish it off, then celebrate.

I generally agree......but I liked that one right there in that moment.

This is why I loved that 'taunting' penalty. In the game they played this season Hill flashed that sign and then did a freaking backflip into the end zone....in a game that really didn't 'mean' all that much. It's always great to see Karma take a nice bite out of cocky players.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2469 on: February 08, 2021, 10:34:42 AM »
One ring lighter and still the GOAT.

The better question is where would he be if the Patriots hadn't drafted him when they did. I think there's a decent chance none of us have ever heard of him. Certainly there's a very real chance he never got off the bench in Washington or San Diego.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #2470 on: February 08, 2021, 10:50:15 AM »
This was a textbook football game in that it was won/lost in the trenches. The biggest concern for KC was being down 3 offensive lineman which allowed Tampa to pressure Mahomes with 4 linemen which was the difference.

Also, I HATED the way the first half ended because I was left thinking - The GOAT was helped by the referees - AGAIN! Trust me, I don't want to feel that way but I will always have an asterisk in my head next to TB12's name. I turned the game off once they went up two scores right before the half.

Also, how hard is it to put a referee in the skybox to help with some of those calls?  :yeahright

Suh us a beast!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2471 on: February 08, 2021, 10:57:07 AM »
One ring lighter and still the GOAT.

The better question is where would he be if the Patriots hadn't drafted him when they did. I think there's a decent chance none of us have ever heard of him. Certainly there's a very real chance he never got off the bench in Washington or San Diego.

And he wasn't even picked in the first few rounds, I think it wasn't until the 6th round that he got picked.  And then Bledsoe (Drewcilla we used to call him) got hurt *again* and Brady came in to a pivotal game at a pivotal time and, well, the rest is history.  Until someone else puts up the numbers he's put up (and he's not done yet, either) he has to be considered the GOAT.  And that really gets my goat because he's kind of a tool and I've never liked him.  There is an arrogance about him that I find very grating.  But I fully recognize and respect -hell even admire- his accomplishments. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2472 on: February 08, 2021, 11:06:30 AM »
Drew's abdomen was filling with blood from that hit from Mo Lewis. He had a torn blood vessel behind his chest that was gushing out blood.  It was extremely serious.  Thankfully, the doctors on the sidelines recognized that something was wrong and rushed him to a hospital.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2473 on: February 08, 2021, 11:07:58 AM »
Until someone else puts up the numbers he's put up (and he's not done yet, either) he has to be considered the GOAT.  And that really gets my goat because he's kind of a tool and I've never liked him.  There is an arrogance about him that I find very grating.  But I fully recognize and respect -hell even admire- his accomplishments.

My exact sentiments. Can't really stand the guy but I don't think there is a real argument that can be made against about what he's accomplished.....or that he is the G.O.A.T.  People can hate him all they want but it doesn't change what he's accomplished and the fact that he's the greatest QB to play the game.

There are others that are more physically talented and athletic.....but they lack what TB has where it counts....Championships.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2474 on: February 08, 2021, 11:16:24 AM »

Patrick Mahomes is a superb athlete; that sidearm throw from the sideline, even though it fell incomplete, was one of the best throws I've ever seen.

Dude.. Forgot about that one... That shit was amazing. It wasn't that he got it off and it was on target, but it had some serious zip to it with nothing but arm, off balance and under insane pressure. If that had been completed, it would have been a highlight forever.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #2475 on: February 08, 2021, 11:52:57 AM »
Would that be Owings Mills HS?

Yes. She's been there for 16 years.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2476 on: February 08, 2021, 11:55:57 AM »
I think there were a more than a couple of incredible throws by Mahomes while being chased by 1,000 lbs from every which way. The superman one is probably the one being referred to where it hits the other guy in the facemask which probably could've been caught.

I don't know if this is the direct link
https://www.nfl.com/games/chiefs-at-buccaneers-2020-post-4

It's the one titled

"Bucs break up Mahomes' unreal fourth-and-9 heave for turnover on downs"

That's the one to which I was referring.   Great throw.  Nothing to show for it (and in my opinion, that was well defended; there was no high probability shot of that being caught).

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2477 on: February 08, 2021, 12:15:03 PM »
Until someone else puts up the numbers he's put up (and he's not done yet, either) he has to be considered the GOAT.  And that really gets my goat because he's kind of a tool and I've never liked him.  There is an arrogance about him that I find very grating.  But I fully recognize and respect -hell even admire- his accomplishments.

My exact sentiments. Can't really stand the guy but I don't think there is a real argument that can be made against about what he's accomplished.....or that he is the G.O.A.T.  People can hate him all they want but it doesn't change what he's accomplished and the fact that he's the greatest QB to play the game.

There are others that are more physically talented and athletic.....but they lack what TB has where it counts....Championships.

For the life of me, I get some of the criticisms - the TB12, the lifestyle shit, the model wife - but I just don't see "dick".  He's magnanimous to his teammates, he rarely barks at them in the huddle (contrast with Marino and Rivers that had no problem screaming at a receiver for dropping their pass).  He does the "first down" thing once in a while, but he's mainly all business on the field... compare him to the dudes that celebrate every touchdown as if it was the liberation of the moon.   The guy's work ethic is through the roof.  I would think that most of these things we would value and wish there was more of.   Maybe that's just me.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2478 on: February 08, 2021, 12:30:02 PM »
^^ I think in the case of Tom Brady and what he has accomplished, I think that arrogance can be mistaken for having a high level of confidence and having a great understanding of where he stands in his abilities and in his teammates to get the job done and, honestly, you want that in a player, especially a franchise player.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2479 on: February 08, 2021, 12:48:17 PM »
Mahomes getting pounded was the tone the Bucs defense set, I'll always remember this play the most how he got sandwiched between three guys. In spite of the pressure, I agree that he actually played a lot better than what the numbers dictate.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2480 on: February 08, 2021, 12:51:47 PM »
I think in the case of Tom Brady and what he has accomplished, I think that arrogance can be mistaken for having a high level of confidence and having a great understanding of where he stands in his abilities and in his teammates to get the job done and, honestly, you want that in a player, especially a franchise player.

That's completely fair. I get it. For me it's all about how he comes across 'to me'. I've heard the stories about what a great teammate he is....his preparation.....etc etc. It's just the way he comes across to me that I can't get past.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2481 on: February 08, 2021, 01:05:15 PM »

For the life of me, I get some of the criticisms - the TB12, the lifestyle shit, the model wife - but I just don't see "dick".  He's magnanimous to his teammates, he rarely barks at them in the huddle (contrast with Marino and Rivers that had no problem screaming at a receiver for dropping their pass).  He does the "first down" thing once in a while, but he's mainly all business on the field... compare him to the dudes that celebrate every touchdown as if it was the liberation of the moon.   The guy's work ethic is through the roof.  I would think that most of these things we would value and wish there was more of.   Maybe that's just me.

Experiencing him week to week all these years, I've never found him to be a dick. I don't deny he could be one when he needs to be. And his view of his self worth has certainly grown over the past half decade.

But to me, it's the reactions and the respect, not only by his teammates, but of opposing players that defines him more than a dude on the couch "thinking" he's a dick.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2482 on: February 08, 2021, 01:08:03 PM »
Mahomes getting pounded was the tone the Bucs defense set, I'll always remember this play the most how he got sandwiched between three guys. In spite of the pressure, I agree that he actually played a lot better than what the numbers dictate.

Yup, I agree.

Is that the play where Su got flagged?  I vocally disagreed with that call, and my son asked me why in the world I would defend Su.  :lol  I explained to him that it did make me feel kinda dirty giving him the benefit of the doubt.  :lol  And I have to concede 2 things:  (1) that type of hit does get called on the defense with some regularity, so it isn't an "unfair" call by any means, and (2) in real time, on the field, I have no doubt that it could look like an illegal hit, and I get that the league wants to give the benefit of the doubt to the QB on those.  But that said, and as the replay confirmed to me, Su didn't really deliver a hard hit at all.  Granted, he wasn't holding up.  But he also wasn't headhunting either.  The impact was what it was because Mahomes got hit from behind, which propelled him right into Su's helmet.  Yes, Su is who he is.  And the other two factors I mentioned above are definitely in play.  So I get the call.  But if I'm the coach watching tape of that with Su afterward, I tell him, "Don't worry about it.  You didn't really do anything wrong on that play." 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2483 on: February 08, 2021, 01:20:22 PM »
If that was me, I'd still be down.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2484 on: February 08, 2021, 02:04:43 PM »
What a weird postseason, not a single game with 4th quarter drama. Congrats to Bucs fans I guess, the number of which I assume has doubled in the past year purely by coincidence I’m sure.

I nailed most of my prediction including TB 31, except the flag-assisted score came at the end of the first half and asshole receiver drops kept KC’s point total down. Brady played well, made mostly really easy throws from a clean pocket. Pressure rate difference the highest in SB history. Would love to see the game if the QBs switched teams. Reid exposed badly, zero adjustments. Mahomes a warrior playing 1 on 11 football, or 1 on 22 I guess and making absolutely ludicrous throws. Ran a total of 497 yards avoiding the pass rush on a foot that needs surgery. Brady’s brainpower in selecting Tampa cannot be overstated. What a stacked team. More proof games are usually won in the trenches.

Why oh why can’t we ever have a Super Bowl without without obvious penalty discrepancy controversy? Really detracts from the product the NFL is trying to put out there. Bucs likely win without any of those flags being thrown. However that overturned int because of the tricky-tack hold was a huge swing point in the game.

Reid now has to honestly assess his roster, Mahomes has been masking a lot of deficiencies. His “weapons” were exposed as well as Kelce is the only reliable guy. Hill is drop-prone and neutralized by a strong pass rush preventing long routes from developing.

I know everybody is comparing Brady to Jordan now, but Jordan being 6-0 in finals and having to play defense too gives him the edge still IMO. Brady still great of course, and being driven and committed at this age is his biggest edge. Wonder how his teammates feel about it always being about him? D was the MVP.