Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 442447 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #8575 on: May 02, 2021, 05:41:24 PM »
I am honestly not sure what you’re talking about anymore. You’re asking where to find information to support a false claim? I wouldn’t know.

Either way this seems pretty silly. I’m out.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8576 on: May 02, 2021, 05:51:49 PM »
Do you think it's a slap in the face to be Angry or Upset at the people that don't want the vaccine, while you are chowing down a Big Boy size soda from the gas station, while eating a glazed donut, and dipping it in high fructose corn syrup, knowing full well that this will kill you regardless, just not as fast and slower? Where is the personal responsibility?

As soon as corn syrup can be transmitted person to person involuntarily, this may start to become a valid point. Vaccines protect the group much more than they protect the individual.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8577 on: May 02, 2021, 06:01:29 PM »
Do you think it's a slap in the face to be Angry or Upset at the people that don't want the vaccine, while you are chowing down a Big Boy size soda from the gas station, while eating a glazed donut, and dipping it in high fructose corn syrup, knowing full well that this will kill you regardless, just not as fast and slower? Where is the personal responsibility?

I am so sick of seeing you continually bringing this up in relation to covid.  It’s frankly insulting to everyone’s intelligence. 

With all due respect (which isn't much), whether you personally are sick of someone bringing up a point is not relevant to ANYTHING.  You don't get to tell people what they can and cannot bring up here, and you don't get to bully people about their posting habits. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #8578 on: May 02, 2021, 06:06:58 PM »

As soon as corn syrup can be transmitted person to person involuntarily, this may start to become a valid point. Vaccines protect the group much more than they protect the individual.

High Fructose Corn Syrup is in a lot of things we eat. Just look at the ingredients on all the most popular brands of foods. And mostly everyone just has to have that name brand product.

And it's been in a lot of Commodity foods.

It's the reason why people are screaming why the healthy food is more expensive, that the less fortunate can't afford those foods and in turn, only get the less but more processed foods, that come in bulk.

But again...my question is....where is the personal responsibility of looking within yourself and not actually blaming someone else for your bodies illnesses. Since, it's hard to actually figure out how you caught it, that's why we have to wear masks because if we knew how we catch it, people would be easily placing blame on those people, because people need to blame someone for faults that could have been prevented by doing things that are already known.

I am not blaming healthy people either if they catch it. Nor am I blaming anyone for eating a poor diet and getting conditions that make them easy targets for the virus.

I also, know, that people that are healthy one day, can catch an illness or disease that can be life-changing.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #8579 on: May 02, 2021, 06:13:00 PM »
Nor am I blaming anyone for eating a poor diet and getting conditions that make them easy targets for the virus.

Except that's exactly what you're saying but bringing up personal responsability and underlying conditions.  As usual I'm surely misunderstanding.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8580 on: May 02, 2021, 06:24:26 PM »
High Fructose Corn Syrup is in a lot of things we eat. Just look at the ingredients on all the most popular brands of foods. And mostly everyone just has to have that name brand product.

And it's been in a lot of Commodity foods.

It's the reason why people are screaming why the healthy food is more expensive, that the less fortunate can't afford those foods and in turn, only get the less but more processed foods, that come in bulk.

But again...my question is....where is the personal responsibility of looking within yourself and not actually blaming someone else for your bodies illnesses. Since, it's hard to actually figure out how you caught it, that's why we have to wear masks because if we knew how we catch it, people would be easily placing blame on those people, because people need to blame someone for faults that could have been prevented by doing things that are already known.

I am not blaming healthy people either if they catch it. Nor am I blaming anyone for eating a poor diet and getting conditions that make them easy targets for the virus.

I also, know, that people that are healthy one day, can catch an illness or disease that can be life-changing.

Sure. Some people win the lottery. Some smokers will never get cancer despite smoking 60 cigs a day. Others will get cancer before they are even born. However this is why it is important to look at the overall trends and statistics in order to know if something is effective. Stochastic health effects such as infection rates only make sense when you have a large enough sample size.

Correct mask usage and vaccines reduce overall infection and (in the latter case) hospitalisation and mortality in the population. This is why I am frustrated at people who ignore or forgo these measures. They probably wont kill me, but statistically the group they belong to WILL kill more people than those who comply with the measures. Choices that only increase your PERSONAL risk of illness or death are not comparable IMHO.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #8581 on: May 02, 2021, 06:25:31 PM »
Nor am I blaming anyone for eating a poor diet and getting conditions that make them easy targets for the virus.

Except that's exactly what you're saying but bringing up personal responsability and underlying conditions.  As usual I'm surely misunderstanding.

Because it's fact that an unhealthy diet causes some of the conditions that make people susceptible to the virus.

I am glad there are people whom know this and are actually getting themselves more fit and eating a better diet, a lot of people have been doing this. I've been seeing a lot more older people and just more people walking around, it's obvious here whom is active and who isn't, and since this pandemic, more of those inactive people started to become more active and some are changing their diets as well.

That's just fact, and not putting blame on anyone for their choices and decisions.

Its their body, it's their choice. It's not mine to make for them. Regardless if their choice affects people. Politicians choices affect many people as well, some much worse than others.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #8584 on: May 02, 2021, 06:36:47 PM »

Because it's fact that an unhealthy diet causes some of the conditions that make people susceptible to the virus.

I am glad there are people whom know this and are actually getting themselves more fit and eating a better diet, a lot of people have been doing this. I've been seeing a lot more older people and just more people walking around, it's obvious here whom is active and who isn't, and since this pandemic, more of those inactive people started to become more active and some are changing their diets as well.

That's just fact, and not putting blame on anyone for their choices and decisions.

Its their body, it's their choice. It's not mine to make for them. Regardless if their choice affects people. Politicians choices affect many people as well, some much worse than others.

but changing a diet doesn't protect someone from covid.  What is going here, am I going crazy?

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #8585 on: May 02, 2021, 06:37:21 PM »
A review of available clinical information including death certificates, autopsy, and medical records revealed no evidence that vaccination contributed to patient deaths.

The CDC also states 6% of those who reported to have died from the covid disease represents the true number of deaths.

I believe there is no evidence to show two airplanes could take down three skyscrapers either, but it happened one time.

No - this was covered way earlier in the thread.  6% died from COVID alone.   94% had a co-morbidity, an underlying condition that COVID exacerbated and thus led to their death.  100% of the people who have died in this pandemic have died from COVID. 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8586 on: May 02, 2021, 06:40:07 PM »
As far as the COVID vaccine being "experimental?"   Let's not confuse "emergency use" with "experimental."   :facepalm:

It's called "Experimental Biological Gene Therapy Immune Modulatory Injection". Clinical trials ongoing...

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/clinical-considerations.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fvaccines%2Fcovid-19%2Finfo-by-product%2Fpfizer%2Fclinical-considerations.html

https://www.fda.gov/vaccines-blood-biologics/vaccines/emergency-use-authorization-vaccines-explained

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/physicians-covid-vaccines-are-experimental-and-should-never-be-mandated-or-forced

The word "Experimental" does not appear on either the FDA or CDC sites. The group "America's Frontline Doctors", mentioned in the third link, do use the word experimental to describe the vaccines, however they also say that doctors refusing to use hydroxychloroquine (a drug that has absolutely no evidence supporting its use in COVID-19) are like the "good Germans who allow the Nazis to kill the Jews", so maybe take their words with a pinch of salt.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #8587 on: May 02, 2021, 06:40:46 PM »
A review of available clinical information including death certificates, autopsy, and medical records revealed no evidence that vaccination contributed to patient deaths.

The CDC also states 6% of those who reported to have died from the covid disease represents the true number of deaths.

I believe there is no evidence to show two airplanes could take down three skyscrapers either, but it happened one time.

No - this was covered way earlier in the thread.  6% died from COVID alone.   94% had a co-morbidity, an underlying condition that COVID exacerbated and thus led to their death.  100% of the people who have died in this pandemic have died from COVID.

The point is the government has a way of twisting the truth, misleading, or falsifying info based on what they don't show. How many of those deaths were under the age of 50? 60? Many deaths attributed to Covid were actually other events, so no, not 100%

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8588 on: May 02, 2021, 06:42:29 PM »
:zeltar:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8589 on: May 02, 2021, 06:43:56 PM »
While I agree that the media and government are misleading,  it doesn't lessen those of those who died from the virus and those older.

Don't minimize those deaths because of their age.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8590 on: May 02, 2021, 06:51:30 PM »
1. "They would have died of something else eventually" is an argument that applies to literally any premature death, ever.

2. The fact that the young are primarily not the ones dying from it does not mean that the younger age groups are unaffected. COVID has other consequences than death. Lung damage, permanent fatigue and the like.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8591 on: May 02, 2021, 06:55:10 PM »
He was already on the edge. The guy pushed him but he eventually was going to jump.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8592 on: May 03, 2021, 05:58:49 AM »

There’s no evidence to show you’re a top shelf troll either, but here you are.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #8593 on: May 03, 2021, 06:17:45 AM »

Is it?
I understand being in better physical health improves your chances of fighting the virus should you contract it.....but I've not heard about good physical health lowering the chance to catch it should you come into contact.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #8594 on: May 03, 2021, 06:56:36 AM »

Is it?
I understand being in better physical health improves your chances of fighting the virus should you contract it.....but I've not heard about good physical health lowering the chance to catch it should you come into contact.

No one is immune to this virus. The fact is an unhealthy diet has affected people enough for them to become more likely to have severe symptoms, their risk is higher than those that are considered healthy.

Which if you are, you should consider getting the vaccine, if you personally are concerned. Those that are, rightfully, should be worried, and doing everything possible that will help them not catch it, or better yet, do things that can ease the symptoms a bit.

But there are those lucky ones that will get severe symptoms regardless, and that could involve many different factors to find out why they caught it.

Everyone's health and bodies are different and it hits people differently, most got it severely and died others not as bad. It's an unfortunate reality we as humans have to face now. And personally, for me, it's no one's fault but our own as human beings.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8595 on: May 03, 2021, 06:57:43 AM »

Is it?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2021/03/04/obesity-and-covid-death-rate-closely-linked-in-new-study/?sh=52bc8205643e

Vietnam, on the other hand, has the lowest Covid-19 death rate in the world (0.04 deaths per 100,000), and also reports the second-lowest rate of obesity (18.3% of adults).

The report highlights that there is “not a single example internationally” of a country with low levels of obesity—classified as less than 40% of the population overweight—and high death rates.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #8596 on: May 03, 2021, 07:16:28 AM »
“The good news for a very rare event is it will pop up on VAERS,” Goodman said on a call with reporters, referring to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System jointly run by the FDA and CDC since 1990.

But other potentially dangerous, unanticipated reactions to vaccines may not be so obvious in VAERS, a system that is believed to miss many potential side effects — or in the nation’s additional monitoring systems, including the Vaccine Safety Datalink and the CDC’s new phone-based tracking program, v-safe.

“It’s quite a hodgepodge of different systems of collecting data,” said Dr. Katherine Yih, a biologist and epidemiologist who specializes in vaccine surveillance at Harvard Pilgrim Health Care. “It’s worth stating that it’s not as good as it could be.”

The Vaccine Safety Datalink, though highly regarded, did not include enough vaccinations within its data from nine hospital systems covering 12 million people to catch the J&J issue, CDC officials said. And enrollment in v-safe has been less than expected, with about 6 million people enrolled by the end of March, just 6.4 percent of those who had been vaccinated at that point.

That means that, at a time when about 100 million Americans have been fully vaccinated against Covid-19, the U.S. continues to rely on a patchwork network of vaccine monitoring systems that may fail to monitor a large enough swath of the population, experts told KHN.

“I’m very concerned about this,” said Goodman, who also led the FDA’s Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, or CBER, and is now a professor of infectious diseases at Georgetown University. “I think we should be seeing that reporting on all of these vaccines. It was promised four months ago that it was happening.”

Vaccine safety experts said they were concerned that the FDA scaled back a system known as the Post-Licensure Rapid Immunization Safety Monitoring network, or PRISM, long regarded as a workhorse of surveillance.

“Prior to PRISM, I felt like we were sort of in the dark ages,” Steve Anderson, director of the FDA’s Office of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, said at a 2016 workshop. “When PRISM came along, for us it was really a game changer.”

PRISM linked four large health plans in different parts of the country with eight state immunization registries. During the H1N1 pandemic, it detected signals for three adverse events possibly linked to the vaccines and was used to rule out the two that weren’t related and the one, Guillain-Barré syndrome, that was.

The system included records from nearly 40 million people, said Daniel Salmon, former director of vaccine safety at the National Vaccine Program Office. Having a large volume of records of vaccinated people “really drives your ability to figure out what’s going on,” he said

PRISM, which was repurposed for drug safety, now contains data from about 60 million people, but it has not been used to track vaccine reactions during the Covid-19 pandemic, said Salmon, who oversaw safety monitoring for the H1N1 vaccine.

“With PRISM, we tested it in a crisis and it operated for a decade,” he said. “I was really surprised when it wasn’t used for Covid-19. That was why we built it.”

A newer system, called the Biologics Effectiveness and Safety System, or BEST, was started in 2017, but only recently began monitoring data weekly for 15 pre-specified adverse events among Medicare recipients. It will be expanded to include commercial databases starting by the end of June, according to Capobianco, the FDA spokesperson.

The concern is that officials have leaned heavily on VAERS, a “passive” system that relies on reports from patients and health care providers to flag issues after vaccination that may or may not be related to the shots. A robust “active” surveillance system can search large volumes of patient care records to compare rates of adverse events in people who received vaccines with those who didn’t.

“VAERS performed exactly as intended in this case,” said Dr. Tom Shimabukuro, head of the CDC’s Covid-19 Vaccine Task Force.

That’s true, said Dr. Steven Black, co-director of the Global Vaccine Data Network. Still, he noted, there’s room for improvement, particularly more funding and better collaboration.

“This is a safeguard for our population,” Black said. “Whether it’s for the flu vaccines or the Covid vaccines, you need to have a viable and strong system. Just because we think they’re safe doesn’t mean you don’t need systems in place to back up that opinion.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1265986?__twitter_impression=true

Now that's pretty darn interesting information.  :corn

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #8597 on: May 03, 2021, 12:35:23 PM »
:zeltar:

You got that right, brother  :facepalm:

We're fucking doomed  :|

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8598 on: May 03, 2021, 01:16:32 PM »
I'd share the John Oliver piece from last night's Last Week Tonight about the non vaxxers.  But it's really nothing that hasn't been said here a gazillion times. 

NJ announced today you can get a free beer from one of the select breweries in the state if you present your vax card.  I don't think that moves the needle sadly.  Maybe some more incentive would do the trick.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8599 on: May 03, 2021, 01:20:15 PM »
I'd share the John Oliver piece from last night's Last Week Tonight about the non vaxxers.  But it's really nothing that hasn't been said here a gazillion times. 

NJ announced today you can get a free beer from one of the select breweries in the state if you present your vax card.  I don't think that moves the needle sadly.  Maybe some more incentive would do the trick.

I don't think this helps either, since most people won't see the point in getting it if things reopened.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/most-pandemic-era-capacity-restrictions-end-tri-state-area-may-19-ny-governor-2021-05-03/
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8600 on: May 03, 2021, 01:25:03 PM »

I don't think this helps either, since most people won't see the point in getting it if things reopened.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/most-pandemic-era-capacity-restrictions-end-tri-state-area-may-19-ny-governor-2021-05-03/

Nice! I only just now went through the rest of the NJ governors tweets today, and it also includes the May 19 date.  Dining and outdoor capacitys will fully open.  This aligns with the timing of the outdoor summer concerts that are on schedule. Gives me hope these will actually happen!  :metal

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8601 on: May 03, 2021, 01:42:05 PM »
My parents and I went and ate at a restaurant last night. It was the first time I've eaten indoors in 14+ months and we went to one of my favorite places. It definitely felt a little odd. I had dined out when I snuck away to the Cape last September, but that was all outdoors and it was the off-season of the most dead year ever up there, so we were basically eating alone. It felt super weird to do it. I wasn't uncomfortable or anything, just kind of weird. Part of the buzz kill might have been from the realization that I could be called back to the office any day now.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8602 on: May 03, 2021, 01:48:04 PM »
My parents and I went and ate at a restaurant last night.

Great. We've gone out a handful of times over the last year.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8603 on: May 03, 2021, 02:59:04 PM »
I'd share the John Oliver piece from last night's Last Week Tonight about the non vaxxers.  But it's really nothing that hasn't been said here a gazillion times.  .
Yeah, but I will, because I thought he did a great, great job, especially talking about different people's apprehensions, the reasons for them, and the best way to talk to them (maybe).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPHgRp70H8o
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8604 on: May 03, 2021, 03:00:15 PM »
I forget if I wrote this or not (I think I did then deleted it) but I saw Gov't Mule and Ann Wilson last night in New Haven.  Got a couple beers, a pizza from Moderne, and went to see the show (outdoor former tennis arena).  It was awesome.  I wore my mask whenever I couldn't social distance, but I'll be honest: it was stressful.   It wasn't "back to normal" in the sense that it was always on my mind.  "Is this safe?"  "Am I stupid?".

By the way, Ann Wilson is the bomb.   I love that woman.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8605 on: May 03, 2021, 03:37:32 PM »
I forget if I wrote this or not (I think I did then deleted it) but I saw Gov't Mule and Ann Wilson last night in New Haven.  Got a couple beers, a pizza from Moderne, and went to see the show (outdoor former tennis arena).  It was awesome.  I wore my mask whenever I couldn't social distance, but I'll be honest: it was stressful.   It wasn't "back to normal" in the sense that it was always on my mind.  "Is this safe?"  "Am I stupid?".

I think this is going to be normal for quite some time.  We've been conditioned for almost 15 months, being around people is dangerous, potentially even deadly.  It's going to take a while to de-program that.  For some (mrs.jingle) it could be many many months.  I don't want to put "years" in plural, but I can definitely see it lasting in to (and through) 2022 for some.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline emtee

« Reply #8606 on: May 03, 2021, 03:58:53 PM »
Yes indeed, it's starting to feel different. For the first time in over a year, the employees at the hospital don't have to be temp screened. That is a big step.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8607 on: May 03, 2021, 04:10:34 PM »

Just saw blabbermouth picked this up on my feed, I guess they did some Zep covers. Glad you had fun.

And I agree, it feels different. I guess I'm 3 weeks into full return to work and I've slowly been opening back up myself so that right now it doesn't feel so odd anymore, but it's certainly an adjustment. Next concert should be interesting. Oh and I'm going into NYC for the first time in forever tomorrow to go on a date. That alone will be a bit of an odd feeling.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #8608 on: May 03, 2021, 04:59:08 PM »

I was literally just listening to her interview with Marc Maron that dropped today.  Her new album is out on Friday - I assume she played a bunch?  How was it?

FTR, you were safe and you weren't stupid.  That's the beauty of being vaccinated.   :tup
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8609 on: May 03, 2021, 05:38:25 PM »
I for one am perfectly happy with social distancing becoming a permanent thing in public. Just keep staying the fuck away from me please. :lol