Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 443201 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #8610 on: May 03, 2021, 07:56:40 PM »
I just spent a few minutes browsing through a Facebook group called Millions March Against Mandatory Covid Vaccinations. The amount of fear mongering, misinformation, straight up bullshit, and hubris is unbelievable. And these are people from all over the world, they all seem to be middle class, and the group numbers over 20k.

Honestly, one way or another, I'm getting more and more convinced humanity is just fucked, and within a hundred years at the most. Between our response to Covid, our response to climate change, the wealth disparity and widespread world hunger, and our absolute inability to work together on anything, we're just fucked.

I'm gonna go pound a pint of ice cream now.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8611 on: May 03, 2021, 07:59:53 PM »
Oh shit. And I was just browsing through a Facebook group called Millions March Against Mandatory Ice Cream.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #8612 on: May 03, 2021, 08:09:15 PM »
Oh shit. And I was just browsing through a Facebook group called Millions March Against Mandatory Ice Cream.

Mandatory ice cream could save the world. Except for the lactose intolerant...those poor bastards.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8613 on: May 03, 2021, 08:16:38 PM »

Mandatory ice cream could save the world. Except for the lactose intolerant...those poor bastards.

Well, um...

But again...my question is....where is the personal responsibility of looking within yourself and not actually blaming someone else for your bodies illnesses.

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8614 on: May 03, 2021, 08:34:08 PM »
 :rollin
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline darkshade

« Reply #8615 on: May 03, 2021, 08:34:30 PM »
I just spent a few minutes browsing through a Facebook group called Millions March Against Mandatory Covid Vaccinations. The amount of fear mongering, misinformation, straight up bullshit, and hubris is unbelievable. And these are people from all over the world, they all seem to be middle class, and the group numbers over 20k.

Honestly, one way or another, I'm getting more and more convinced humanity is just fucked, and within a hundred years at the most. Between our response to Covid, our response to climate change, the wealth disparity and widespread world hunger, and our absolute inability to work together on anything, we're just fucked.

You should pull up a history book or two while you do that. We've been fucked for thousands of years.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #8616 on: May 03, 2021, 08:37:33 PM »

Well, um...

But again...my question is....where is the personal responsibility of looking within yourself and not actually blaming someone else for your bodies illnesses.

;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8617 on: May 03, 2021, 08:41:42 PM »
WOW!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #8618 on: May 03, 2021, 08:47:28 PM »
Who fucking adds cheese to chocolate??

And learn how to flip a bird.

Hey, I balanced ice cream on my belly while flipping the bird and taking a pic, that's supreme level multitasking. And it's a west coast bird...we're different out here.

And cheesecake ice cream is fucking bomb. One day your taste buds will go through puberty.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8619 on: May 03, 2021, 09:40:33 PM »
I saw that Ben and Jerry flavour over here for the first time last week and flipped out.  It's fucking amazing, instant top 3.  I'm a sucker for cheesecake though, but this is perfect.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8620 on: May 03, 2021, 09:41:27 PM »
Who fucking adds cheese to chocolate??

And learn how to flip a bird.

Hey, I balanced ice cream on my belly while flipping the bird and taking a pic, that's supreme level multitasking. And it's a west coast bird...we're different out here.

And cheesecake ice cream is fucking bomb. One day your taste buds will go through puberty.

Quoted for truth.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8621 on: May 04, 2021, 03:31:19 AM »
One dose of Pfizer in the arm... feeling fine

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8622 on: May 04, 2021, 06:31:26 AM »
I forget if I wrote this or not (I think I did then deleted it) but I saw Gov't Mule and Ann Wilson last night in New Haven.  Got a couple beers, a pizza from Moderne, and went to see the show (outdoor former tennis arena).  It was awesome.  I wore my mask whenever I couldn't social distance, but I'll be honest: it was stressful.   It wasn't "back to normal" in the sense that it was always on my mind.  "Is this safe?"  "Am I stupid?".

By the way, Ann Wilson is the bomb.   I love that woman.

I was literally just listening to her interview with Marc Maron that dropped today.  Her new album is out on Friday - I assume she played a bunch?  How was it?

FTR, you were safe and you weren't stupid.  That's the beauty of being vaccinated.   :tup

It was awesome, because I'm a fan boy*, but it was, in hindsight, weird.   The Mule played for an hour, and took a 15 minute break.  She came on with them for set two, and played four Zeppelin songs, one Tom Petty song and one Heart song.  Nothing from her solo album.   Then she left, the Mule played three more songs, and a one song encore.  It was great, don't misunderstand, but it didn't make sense, really, not in the context of the show.   

I didn't know she had an album coming out; I hope she tours, so I can see her solo.  Last time she toured solo she played a theater near me where I can usually get decent (sometimes excellent) seats.  I'd pay for first couple rows to hear her sing.

*  It was an outdoor show at a former tennis arena in New Haven.  My seats were on the side, obstructed view, but we moved over to the front row of the bowl, directly across from the stage.   I'm not a yeller or anything like that that would call attention to myself, but when she walked out it was still light and the crowd was pretty mellow.  She walked up to the mic and I yelled out (as a joke to my friend) "I love you Ann!" and waved, and she waved back.   Well, she waved, and the timing is such that I can with a clean conscience, say she was waving at me.  :) :) :)   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8623 on: May 04, 2021, 06:34:03 AM »

Not telling you how to react - though ice cream is as good as any reaction, especially cheesecake ice cream - but 20k worldwide is not critical mass numbers.   I get the dangers of misinformation - many of my posts are intended as a response to that - but given that we can't eradicate EVERY falsehood, I'm good with "20k" out of "7.4 billion". 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8624 on: May 04, 2021, 06:35:10 AM »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8625 on: May 04, 2021, 06:41:47 AM »
I did my part!

Same! I can't wait to catch a Yard Goats game this summer  :metal

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #8626 on: May 04, 2021, 06:50:10 AM »

Not telling you how to react - though ice cream is as good as any reaction, especially cheesecake ice cream - but 20k worldwide is not critical mass numbers.   I get the dangers of misinformation - many of my posts are intended as a response to that - but given that we can't eradicate EVERY falsehood, I'm good with "20k" out of "7.4 billion".

But that's just one group of what I'm assuming is many. And I'd bet really good money that a vast percentage of those members are middle or upper class white Americans, a country where getting vaccinated is so simple and available right now that we have the audacity to question it, our first world privilege shining brightly.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8627 on: May 04, 2021, 07:56:23 AM »

But that's just one group of what I'm assuming is many. And I'd bet really good money that a vast percentage of those members are middle or upper class white Americans, a country where getting vaccinated is so simple and available right now that we have the audacity to question it, our first world privilege shining brightly.

Without seeing the group, I won't argue that point.  I can certainly see that happening.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8628 on: May 04, 2021, 08:13:22 AM »
a country where getting vaccinated is so simple and available right now that we have the audacity to question it, our first world privilege shining brightly.

This bothers me a lot. We may not be the best country in the world, I don't know how you measure that, but we certainly have the money and power to get every citizen vaccinated and yet, here we are.  It's truly astonishing and shows our first world privilege, and IMO how unintelligent we, as a nation, have become.  At this point, I will just point at India and South America as good examples of what happens when you don't have access to vaccines. Sadly, even the real time death tolls we are seeing don't even move the needle. 

Offline Harmony

« Reply #8629 on: May 04, 2021, 09:15:46 AM »
Wrong thread
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 09:21:28 AM by Harmony »
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8630 on: May 04, 2021, 09:19:13 AM »
Today's stats:

So far, 148 million Americans have received at least one dose of a vaccine. At least 106 million people have completed a vaccination regimen.

39,938 positives reported yesterday compared to 47,741 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 50,665

Fatality was 445 compared to 312 yesterday and 472 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 716.

Hospitalizations reported 7 day rolling average is 34,012 compared to one week ago 38,441 down 11.5%.

Hospital admissions reported 7 day rolling average is 4,626 compared to one week ago 5321 down 13.1%.

The numbers are dropping, sharply this week although I believe Monday/Tuesday numbers are always low due to states inconsistent reporting, but generally, the numbers are going down and the April "spike" is likely already over.

The proof is in the pudding, vaccines work.  https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-nearing-vaccine-tipping-point-100120417.html

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #8631 on: May 05, 2021, 08:11:42 AM »
So if a bracelet were made available showing people that you have been vaccinated, would you wear one out in public? I know I would.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/05/business/immunaband-restaurant-covid-vaccination-trnd/index.html

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8632 on: May 05, 2021, 08:18:00 AM »
So if a bracelet were made available showing people that you have been vaccinated, would you wear one out in public? I know I would.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/05/business/immunaband-restaurant-covid-vaccination-trnd/index.html

Nope.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8633 on: May 05, 2021, 08:32:41 AM »
Not sure.  My initial reaction is "no."  I think there are a lot of problems with something like that.  But on the other hand, if it made others around me more comfortable and I felt like they, as a whole, would want me to, I might consider it for the sake of putting others at ease.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8634 on: May 05, 2021, 08:35:30 AM »
My first reaction is that it's just another "divider". We'll go from "hey that guy isn't wearing a mask" to "hey that guy doesn't have a bracelet on".

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #8635 on: May 05, 2021, 08:42:24 AM »

Hell no. It's no ones business if I've been vaccinated or not.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8636 on: May 05, 2021, 08:44:01 AM »
My first reaction is that it's just another "divider". We'll go from "hey that guy isn't wearing a mask" to "hey that guy doesn't have a bracelet on".

I think you might be right about that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8637 on: May 05, 2021, 08:48:57 AM »
I’d say no.

I’d recommend carrying around the vaccine card or maybe a mobile pass that isn’t on display unless you choose to show it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8638 on: May 05, 2021, 08:51:24 AM »
I’d say no.

I’d recommend carrying around the vaccine card or maybe a mobile pass that isn’t on display unless you choose to show it.

This right here.  No need to advertise / publicize it, but (just like I had for my kids growing up) a vaccine card isn't unreasonable (imo) for situations where it may be a requirement to provide demonstration (eg, air travel, concerts, sporting events ...)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #8639 on: May 05, 2021, 08:51:50 AM »

Nope. Just asking for a fight either verbally or physically. There are plenty of people out there who would go out of their way to let you know how 'dumb' you are for getting a vaccine.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #8640 on: May 05, 2021, 08:54:27 AM »
Not sure.  My initial reaction is "no."  I think there are a lot of problems with something like that.  But on the other hand, if it made others around me more comfortable and I felt like they, as a whole, would want me to, I might consider it for the sake of putting others at ease.
I like this thinking, and if I were to do it I feel this would be the reason. But the arguments against are also good.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8641 on: May 05, 2021, 08:55:31 AM »
I think the general public wearing them would never work in a million years, but I don't entirely hate the idea of a business owner with a lot of public-facing employees to maybe want something like this.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #8642 on: May 05, 2021, 08:59:42 AM »
I got my whole medical records available on my phone at the touch of a button, so no.

Plus bracelets are fucking annoying to wear.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #8643 on: May 05, 2021, 10:17:29 AM »
Those of you who gave reasons, I completely concur.

To me - I think it's a good thing that is no different than wearing a necklace that tells whether your diabetic or whatever affliction you have that helps a first responder. But yes, it would certainly be weaponized by others and confrontations would certainly occur.

I think it would put a lot of people at ease and it would certainly put me at ease as well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8644 on: May 05, 2021, 11:23:44 AM »
But this is the downside of the "attack" culture we live in.  I've got a plastic cover - if anyone has ever been to a convention or whatever where you have the name tag pinned to your lapel, you know what I'm talking about - and my card in there.   I'm absolutely wearing a bracelet, or a neck lanyard, or whatever, because whatever "medical records" I own, they CLEARLY aren't respected by those who believe the vaccine is not optional, and I'm not interested in confrontations if I, fully vaccinated (as of earlier this week) walk in somewhere and some righteous do-gooder decides to get uppity. 

If MY medical records are no one's business, then that applies both ways:  it would follow that you (general, no one here) do not get to tell me what ought to be ON those medical records.  That's clearly not how we work here - if someone runs a store, they are entitled to tell me to leave if I'm not masked up/distanced/vaccinated - so I'm going to proceed accordingly.