Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 439658 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #4900 on: August 03, 2020, 07:35:57 PM »
Sadly, a couple/few of the people in that crowd might not be alive in 3 weeks.

Been brutal at my hospital. Over 70 Covid patients, plus multiple awaiting results. 6-8 code blues every day. 8-10 rapid responses. Being around it has become normal daily life for me.

Brutal.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4901 on: August 03, 2020, 09:29:26 PM »
To add a little levity to this thread... we need to get some "entrepreneurs" to develop a video series like Girls Gone Wild, where they go around and offer women something like beads to pull down their masks and show their faces.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4902 on: August 04, 2020, 03:54:19 AM »
Some food for thought.... ever heard mentioned here or there that there are viruses and bacteria long dormant in the eternal ice, and that global warming is making said ice not-so-eternal and so they could be unleashed if the permafrost melts?

Well, there is, and not since today, a lot of discussion about it. Very quick search on Google finds dozens of articles, here are just some, I mention if the article predates the Covid pandemic:

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170504-there-are-diseases-hidden-in-ice-and-they-are-waking-up (May 2017)

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2018/01/24/575974220/are-there-zombie-viruses-in-the-thawing-permafrost?t=1596531107941 (January 2018)

https://newrepublic.com/article/157129/next-pandemic-hiding-arctic-permafrost

https://www.arctictoday.com/how-thawing-permafrost-could-resurrect-long-dormant-diseases/

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/permafrost-release-diseases-virus-bacteria-arctic-climate-crisis-a9601431.html

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/as-earth-warms-the-diseases-that-may-lie-within-permafrost-become-a-bigger-worry/ (November 2016)

Wanna bet that if this happens, we'll be flooded with conspiracy theories about will claim that the "ice virus" is man made?

However there are no conspiracies as such, at least that I know of. I'd be surprised to find a theory that says "People are spreading false news about viruses in the permafrost and they've been doing it for years, as a long pre-emptive cover up for the next pandemic". If you inform a random person on the street about it, he'd probably agree that yes, so it seems that scientists agree that there's the danger of viruses being released from the ice if said ice melts.

And yet, among those people who'd agree about this danger, you might find people convinced that the Covid-19 is made in a lab, that Bill Gates is part of the conspiracy and blah blah blah. But the warning signs about Covid-19 were there for a long time just like warnings about the dangers of bacteria hidden in the permafrost is!!!

My point is:

Science warns about viruses in the permafrost > no viruses are released from the permafrost yet > people agree it's a possible future danger (or so I assume, I didn't interview a lot of people about it)

Science warns about other pandemics like SARS, which was a coronavirus > Covid-19 actually happens > people lose their shit and believe the most stupid bullshit about it

But there was no difference between the two things!!! one year ago you could have asked scientists "how a pandemic could happen?" and the answer, backed by overwhelming consensus by the scientific community, would have been "a virus could be released from the permafrost through global warming, or we could have another case like the SARS, where a virus infects humans jumping from wild animals". I am 100% sure that if a pandemic would have come from the ice, we'd still have people thinking Bill Gates did it, because by now people seem to have a syndrome of wanting and needing to have an opion about everything, and be the "smart ones who know better".

I don't know if it was always this way, but we didn't know because those people just talked about it at the bar and they were the village idiots, or the internet and social media leveled the field giving the illusions that we're all the same and that all our opinions matter (and are valid) equally, prompting people to have a necessity to be the one who have their own specific opinion on something that only experts should talk about.

The dangers of a new Covid pandemic, like SARS was, were real and foretold by a long, long time. It's depressing how only a tiny minority of the population worldwide educated themselves about it, when the information was a 10 minutes Google search away.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 08:56:14 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4903 on: August 04, 2020, 08:03:46 AM »
First day of school at a high school in Georgia. This is going to go well... ::)

This school is closing for two days for a deep clean after six students and three staff members tested positive for Corona after just the first few days.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2020/08/09/nine-people-test-positive-coronavirus-georgia-school-where-photos-packed-hallways-went-viral/?hpid=hp_hp-banner-main_school-photo-1145am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 06:14:18 AM by Chino »

Offline T-ski

« Reply #4904 on: August 04, 2020, 08:22:51 AM »
Have you seen this commercial?

https://youtu.be/vM3J9jDoaTA
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4905 on: August 04, 2020, 09:11:17 AM »
First day of school at a high school in Georgia. This is going to go well... ::)

This is exactly why I think it's really, really stupid to devise all these complicated plans to have kids in school for a half day, then keep them at home for a day, then bring them back... if you have kids at school AT ALL, this type of crowd is unavoidable. Half day doesn't do shit except make things overly complicated for everyone.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4906 on: August 04, 2020, 09:16:36 AM »
Customer just walked in the office wearing a face mask. A red face mask with TRUMP emblazoned on the front in white letters.

Huh.

Just a reminder that he's responsible for this shit.  >:(

Keep wearing them folks!

Ridiculous.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4907 on: August 04, 2020, 09:21:36 AM »
Customer just walked in the office wearing a face mask. A red face mask with TRUMP emblazoned on the front in white letters.

Huh.

Just a reminder that he's responsible for this shit.  >:(

Keep wearing them folks!

Ridiculous.

Agreed, it's nonsense. The virus would've hit here no matter what. He's certainly handling it like ass, but he's NOT responsible for the outbreak. He's responsible for sending anti-science messages and emboldening people who refuse to wear masks, however.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4908 on: August 04, 2020, 09:34:34 AM »
Some food for thought.... ever heard mentioned here or there that there are viruses and bacteria long dormant in the eternal ice, and that global warming is making said ice not-so-eternal and so they could be unleashed if the permafrost melts?

<Rest of excellent post deleted for space.>

This isn't a surprise, though.   This is human nature.   Whether it's viruses, or smoking, or cancer, or climate change, McDonald's, or social media, we're not very good at these sorts of things.   Even those that were knowledgeable on this, or that did have the information, didn't necessarily incorporate that knowledge into their everyday life.   This has been proven time and time and time and time again.   (I travel a fair amount for work - in 2020, I had traveled in all but one of the weeks before the COVID thing shut everything down in late February; I did not see even one mask worn on any of the domestic flights I had taken; that's a lie, I saw one, on my last flight home, and it was a Chinese passenger and I know this because he was one of three or four travelers and they were speaking amongst themselves in Chinese.) I am very much NOT a "government is here to save us from ourselves" kind of guy - just the opposite - but it is the one place where I can see a legitimate social benefit from having government come in.   I think some of you will choke, but I can even support a military endeavor on some of these things, and if that's unpalatable, a "NASA" type organization.   Not career bureaucrats like the EPA, but rather cutting edge, quasi-national security level resources to address these multi-national, transcendent problems.   

This is a great book on this subject:   "How Risky Is it , Really?" by David Ropeik.   (He's appeared on Bill Maher, and has done TED talks, all within the last six months, even though the book is probably five, six years old.)  I think this is a phenomenon that has been with us for centuries; it's just in the age of real time communication and social media that the extremes of these debates - including the conspiracy theorists and those that think government is here to shut everything down and fund the world until the crisis passes - are getting air time and traction. 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4909 on: August 04, 2020, 09:35:30 AM »

This is why I'm getting tired of live TV. It's depressing and annoying at the same time.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4910 on: August 04, 2020, 10:20:02 AM »

Kinda comical when you see it all stitched together (pun intended) like that.  But really, not surprising - when else in history (not war related) has all of humanity had one common experience dominating our lives?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4911 on: August 04, 2020, 10:23:48 AM »

Kinda comical when you see it all stitched together (pun intended) like that.  But really, not surprising - when else in history (not war related) has all of humanity had one common experience dominating our lives?

*thinks about all the Great Flood stories from around the world*  :justjen  :corn

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4912 on: August 04, 2020, 10:32:40 AM »
Looks like almost everyone has a mask in the above picture, no?

There's masks and there's masks and no way to tell which is which..........and they're only really effective when people keep their distance.  Given the fact that we have doctors and nurses in intensive care (as patients) who were masked to the nth degree I see masks as a small part of the solution.   It was only a month or two back we were being told by the government that masks weren't worth the trouble.  ::)

I remember that.  They were saying how little masks do to stop the spread.  I think they even had stats to back it up.

As with most things, the facts lie somewhere in between the two extremes you often see shouted from the rooftops nowadays, and your average person is not generally aware.  I couldn't tell you what the exact numbers are, but it is FACT that masks have only very limited effect of stopping the spread. 

Here's something that is completely anecdotal, but is hopefully instructive:  When I was in the Marine Corps, we trained pretty extensively with gas masks.  Due to the threat of biological warfare, we ALWAYS had a gas mask strapped to our hip in the field, and were trained to don it immediately if there was any suspicion of any biological agent.  But the thing a lot of people didn't get is that, as comparatively heavy duty as those gas masks are (especially when compared with a cloth mask), they only had a very small chance of saving you.  They are just meant to give you a possibility of having a fighting chance, or at least just staying alive a bit longer to stay in the fight and do some damage before you expire. 

As far as I understand, masks themselves do not provide a HUGE advantage against the virus.  By themselves, they only ever-so-slightly mitigate the odds of spreading.  People need to keep 2 facts in mind:  (1) the mask is not to protect YOU--it is to protect OTHERS in case you are infected (unless you are wearing an N95, which protects you, but NOT others) and does NOT make you bullet proof; and (2) wearing a mask is barely effective by itself--it is to be done IN ADDITION TO all the other things we need to do to limit the spread, such as: distancing, avoiding congregating for extended periods of time, avoiding poorly ventilated areas, washing thoroughly and frequently, avoiding touching, and otherwise staying healthy and taking care of your immune system.

Unrelated:  Just a reminder, as others have said, to (1) please keep political discussions in P/R where they belong, and (2) please refrain from disparaging/insulting others with your posts. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #4913 on: August 04, 2020, 11:48:54 AM »
I agree with that assessment that a mask will reduce your exposure and give you a fighting chance as opposed to having 100% protection. 

First off, it's mostly to keep the wearer from spreading their own potential germs around.  But it also gives you a small amount of protection in that if someone's germs were to land on your face, at least they're mostly hitting your mask and not directly on your own lips or nose, where they would be immediately absorbed.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4914 on: August 04, 2020, 12:01:41 PM »
And let me add that with all parties wearing a mask will greatly reduce the chances of contracting the virus.

I know that's obvious but there are those that will say 'if the mask isn't a 100% guarantee of not getting the virus then why should I wear one?' 'This is Merica!'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4915 on: August 04, 2020, 01:00:34 PM »
It seems to me that a lot of those folks are the same ones saying that if "only" 1% of people die from it, then what's the problem?

The problem of course is that even if 99% of people who contract COVID-19 don't die, we're seeing more and more evidence that you'll still suffer longterm effects, usually lifetime effects.  Your heart and lungs and/or other vital organs are permanently damaged.  If you get it bad enough to be hospitalized and comatose for weeks, there are longterm effects just from having your brain offline for that long.  My friend David had a stroke while comatose, while bedridden with COVID-19, and he may never play the guitar again.

It's not like 1% die and everyone else is fine.  It's more like the majority of people who get it will suffer longterm effects, and some will die.  Wearing a mask is not a 100% guarantee to prevent any of that, but it will reduce the odds.  I'll take any advantage I can get.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4916 on: August 04, 2020, 02:04:45 PM »
It seems to me that a lot of those folks are the same ones saying that if "only" 1% of people die from it, then what's the problem?

The problem of course is that even if 99% of people who contract COVID-19 don't die, we're seeing more and more evidence that you'll still suffer longterm effects, usually lifetime effects.  Your heart and lungs and/or other vital organs are permanently damaged.  If you get it bad enough to be hospitalized and comatose for weeks, there are longterm effects just from having your brain offline for that long.  My friend David had a stroke while comatose, while bedridden with COVID-19, and he may never play the guitar again.

It's not like 1% die and everyone else is fine.  It's more like the majority of people who get it will suffer longterm effects, and some will die.  Wearing a mask is not a 100% guarantee to prevent any of that, but it will reduce the odds.  I'll take any advantage I can get.

The thing is, knowing it's impossible to control a group of people, as everyone has freewill, we should all have expected people wouldn't wear masks. The question I have is, What can I as a person do to not get this virus? What can I do to prevent me from getting sick?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4917 on: August 04, 2020, 03:17:59 PM »
That's the basic issue with herd immunity.  It benefits the entire herd, but it requires a minimum amount of participation from others.  You individually cannot do a whole lot to prevent being exposed, except for literally isolating yourself from everyone and everything.  It depends on others.

When you look at countries that are beating this, you'll see that overwhelmingly they are people willing to all do their part, all suffer together, so that they will eventually get through it.  Americans by and large just don't have that mentality.  Here, it's all "me, me, me" and "my rights" and honestly not giving a shit about other people if it will inconvenience "me".

In Asian countries, if you get sick, you are expected to wear a mask.  You do this to minimize spreading your germs.  If you see someone wearing a mask, you know it's because they're sick, but they have to work or shop or whatever they're doing, so you understand.  They are being courteous.  So wearing a mask all the time isn't even a big deal.  Just do it.  Here, if you see someone wearing a mask, they're giving in to the Libtards; it couldn't possibly be because they're being courteous and thinking about others' health and safety.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #4918 on: August 04, 2020, 03:45:18 PM »

Yes, this is the problem of people focusing on the deaths. Understandable, but it is not unlikely that the amount of people having their lives changes forever, and not for the best, is much larger. And it is most definitely not just the lungs.

I hope your friend recovers, a stroke is awful.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4919 on: August 05, 2020, 10:04:48 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/05/us/second-grader-coronavirus-first-day-of-school/index.html

I'm so happy I'm not a parent to a child between the ages of 3 and 18 right now.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4920 on: August 05, 2020, 12:08:35 PM »
That's the basic issue with herd immunity.  It benefits the entire herd, but it requires a minimum amount of participation from others.  You individually cannot do a whole lot to prevent being exposed, except for literally isolating yourself from everyone and everything.  It depends on others.

When you look at countries that are beating this, you'll see that overwhelmingly they are people willing to all do their part, all suffer together, so that they will eventually get through it.  Americans by and large just don't have that mentality.  Here, it's all "me, me, me" and "my rights" and honestly not giving a shit about other people if it will inconvenience "me".

In Asian countries, if you get sick, you are expected to wear a mask.  You do this to minimize spreading your germs.  If you see someone wearing a mask, you know it's because they're sick, but they have to work or shop or whatever they're doing, so you understand.  They are being courteous.  So wearing a mask all the time isn't even a big deal.  Just do it.  Here, if you see someone wearing a mask, they're giving in to the Libtards; it couldn't possibly be because they're being courteous and thinking about others' health and safety.

Is the perception that they are being courteous, or that they are sheep following their masters?   I don't mean that to be literal or reflective of my thinking, but while I agree with your assessment of many here, I think those people who don't wear the mask here wouldn't see their behavior as "courtesy".  If they did they'd be wearing their own mask to begin with.

I know for me, I hate the mask, but I actually feel self-conscious when I DON'T wear it.  I don't want that person thinking "the fuck's up with this guy, no mask."   I guess that speaks volumes about me, but so be it.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4921 on: August 05, 2020, 12:17:52 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/05/us/second-grader-coronavirus-first-day-of-school/index.html

I'm so happy I'm not a parent to a child between the ages of 3 and 18 right now.

It has been a rollercoaster. My son's district has pivoted again. They just threw out the minimum number requirement for e-learning students. This means my son can stay home and video conference in. It appears he will participate in a normal school schedule but will participate over video instead of being in the classroom. People out here aren't particularly interested in masks and protection. At least, the parents aren't. I also saw that Chicago announced all remote learning today. These early stories about school infections are turning the tide.

What's worse, I got notified from a co-worker and friend that his partner, who is HIV+, came down with a fever and breathing problems last night. They are freaking out and I am right there with them. It's all I have been able to think about today. So worried about their health. They both have left the house to go to the grocery store and that's it. They have been shut-ins, otherwise. 2020 sucks.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4922 on: August 05, 2020, 12:43:19 PM »

I hear you.  But as a parent of THREE in that age group (10, 15, and 17), I still feel that it just "is what it is."  Life throws curve balls all the time.  Some of them, pretty serious curve balls.  I'm not about to say that I'm "glad" for any of this.  But we set ourselves up for serious failure, disappointment, and worse if we allow ourselves to think that we deserve to be free from serious tragedy in life.  And we grow a lot from learning how to cope with those tragedies as best as humanly possible.  So, again, while I sympathize with your sentiment, I do not share it, and I'm actually glad I have my kids and get to do a hopefully passable job at modeling how to cope with this sort of thing. 

To put it another way, I am NOT glad this is happening.  But I AM glad that I have them and they have me (and my wife) during such a time as this.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4923 on: August 05, 2020, 12:57:32 PM »

I hear you.  But as a parent of THREE in that age group (10, 15, and 17), I still feel that it just "is what it is."  Life throws curve balls all the time.  Some of them, pretty serious curve balls.  I'm not about to say that I'm "glad" for any of this.  But we set ourselves up for serious failure, disappointment, and worse if we allow ourselves to think that we deserve to be free from serious tragedy in life.  And we grow a lot from learning how to cope with those tragedies as best as humanly possible.  So, again, while I sympathize with your sentiment, I do not share it, and I'm actually glad I have my kids and get to do a hopefully passable job at modeling how to cope with this sort of thing. 

To put it another way, I am NOT glad this is happening.  But I AM glad that I have them and they have me (and my wife) during such a time as this.

I like that post a lot. 

There's a fair amount of people in my neck of the woods that are AGHAST that something bad would actually happen to them like this.  Almost OFFENDED.

One thing I didn't mention is that time when my daughter is with me (she does roughly a week with me, and a week with mom).  She's 19 and can do what she wants, but she actually LIKES hanging with us.  When at mom's, she works or hangs with friends.  With me, she works or hangs with US.  We cook.  We have a thing where we're watching 100 movies from a poster she bought (we're about a third of the way through).  So we sit and watch classics - ET, Jaws - famous - 2001, Pulp Fiction - and on down the line.  One night it's Rosemary's Baby, the next it's Spirited Away.   I can't imagine not having this time.   When she finishes school, gets a real job, and/or gets married, this will be a special memory, and, knowing my view on life, I can see it being my enduring memory of COVID, not masks and distance and assholes. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 10:57:47 AM by Stadler »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4924 on: August 05, 2020, 02:38:31 PM »
Life throws curve balls all the time.  Some of them, pretty serious curve balls.

And some of them are 95mph heaters coming straight at your head.  No need for a child to feel like a Houston Astro batter every time he/she wakes up in the morning.  At some point, you just say go the opposite of John Fogerty "take me out coach, I ain't ready to play".
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 03:22:31 PM by jingle.boy »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4925 on: August 05, 2020, 03:10:00 PM »
Life throws curve balls all the time.  Some of them, pretty serious curve balls.

And some of them are 95mph heaters coming straight at your head.  No need to feel like a child to feel like a Houston Astro batter every time he/she wakes up in the morning.  At some point, you just say go the opposite of John Fogerty "take me out coach, I ain't ready to play".

Yup.  :hearts:

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4926 on: August 05, 2020, 03:21:10 PM »

That's because a lot of people see 1% as a low number.  They don't consider 1% of how many.  Just in the U.S. alone, 1% is 3.3m people.  That is a very high number of deaths.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4927 on: August 05, 2020, 04:22:09 PM »
I don't even think they're thinking that far.  My impression is that they're thinking "only 1%" of people die, so they have a 99% chance of not dying, and they consider that pretty good odds.

Is the perception that they are being courteous, or that they are sheep following their masters?   I don't mean that to be literal or reflective of my thinking, but while I agree with your assessment of many here, I think those people who don't wear the mask here wouldn't see their behavior as "courtesy".  If they did they'd be wearing their own mask to begin with.

I know for me, I hate the mask, but I actually feel self-conscious when I DON'T wear it.  I don't want that person thinking "the fuck's up with this guy, no mask."   I guess that speaks volumes about me, but so be it.

I'm having trouble unravelling your questions.  Wearing the mask is a courtesy; it is more for the benefit of others than it is for the wearer.  That's just a fact.  Asians are all about courtesy, honor, decorum, all that (speaking very generally, of course).

And yes, people here don't see it that way because they're fucking selfish Americans.  "I don't give a shit if other people die.  I'm not wearing a mask because it inconveniences me."  Again, speaking very generally.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4928 on: August 05, 2020, 05:01:53 PM »
It'd be very great if we can get the data for EVERY CAUSES OF DEATH, that has occurred within 2020. Only then, can we know the truth of this virus.

Also, how many of that 1% had underlying conditions before.

And, how do we know if someone that is considered "not having underlying conditions before covid-19" never bothered going to the doctor about those conditions until Covid-19 worsened those symptoms. Would they get diagnosed as currently having contracted the sickness?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #4929 on: August 05, 2020, 07:01:52 PM »
It'd be very great if we can get the data for EVERY CAUSES OF DEATH, that has occurred within 2020. Only then, can we know the truth of this virus.

Also, how many of that 1% had underlying conditions before.

And, how do we know if someone that is considered "not having underlying conditions before covid-19" never bothered going to the doctor about those conditions until Covid-19 worsened those symptoms. Would they get diagnosed as currently having contracted the sickness?

The CDC (and their counterparts in other countries) kind of do that, but it is yearly and the numbers are in constant fluctuation. But I don't really understand why you need every cause of death to get the true numbers? It is not like you can trace the deaths back to the doctors and their decisions. What does knowing how many die in traffic accidents do to change the covid numbers? Annyways, the total death excess this year statistically already surpasses previous years and the excess is also higher than just the covid number added. A news article on this: https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/07/15/tracking-covid-19-excess-deaths-across-countries. It is not very likely the corona death are overcounted. Furthermore, the flu season already did it's usual thing before corona outbreaks hit (killing a lot of vulnerable people).

In regards to underlying health issues, the majority of the adult population in the US has them, be it diabetes, asthma, hypertension, obesity etc. Especially the latter two are extremely common. In regards to why they link certain things to covid, you'd have to read the actual studies and the methods they used. The only way to really understand where data comes from is to read the science.

The total overview of publications on pubmed for covid-19:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=%28%28wuhan%5BAll+Fields%5D+AND+%28%22coronavirus%22%5BMeSH+Terms%5D+OR+%22coronavirus%22%5BAll+Fields%5D%29%29+AND+2019%2F12%5BPDAT%5D+%3A+2030%5BPDAT%5D%29+OR+2019-nCoV%5BAll+Fields%5D+OR+2019nCoV%5BAll+Fields%5D+OR+COVID-19%5BAll+Fields%5D+OR+SARS-CoV-2%5BAll+Fields%5D&sort=date (free PCM articles are fully accesible without subscriptions to scientific journals).

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4930 on: August 06, 2020, 08:45:40 AM »

This school district is messed up.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/mollyhensleyclancy/georgia-school-reopening-photo-paulding-county

Oh, and the student that took that picture - suspended for it.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/student-suspended-showing-fellow-students-065443749.html
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4931 on: August 06, 2020, 09:29:47 AM »
That's BS that they suspended that student.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4932 on: August 06, 2020, 10:18:52 AM »
They actually referred to him as a "whistleblower".

Folks, if you're doing something, and you punish someone you call a "whistleblower", isn't that a pretty good indication that you're doing something wrong?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4933 on: August 06, 2020, 11:03:46 AM »

And some of them are 95mph heaters coming straight at your head.  No need for a child to feel like a Houston Astro batter every time he/she wakes up in the morning.  At some point, you just say go the opposite of John Fogerty "take me out coach, I ain't ready to play".

I get your point and I'm sympathetic, but sometimes the analogy fails; it's NOT a game, and there is no "I need a day off". 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4934 on: August 06, 2020, 12:51:03 PM »

I get your point and I'm sympathetic, but sometimes the analogy fails; it's NOT a game, and there is no "I need a day off".

I think we're not on the same page with the analogy I'm trying to draw - so I'll be explicit.  Wholesale 'back to school' plans for students is the worst fucking idea I think I've ever heard.  I see no path for how this ends well.