Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 439660 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #2310 on: April 13, 2020, 08:48:24 PM »
Fingers crossed for ya. 🤞🏻
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2311 on: April 13, 2020, 08:58:56 PM »
Fingers crossed for ya. 🤞🏻

Thanks. At this point I'm more worried about being contagious than getting sick again.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2312 on: April 13, 2020, 09:24:38 PM »
You may be among the fortunate ones who it's just not going to affect as much as some.  That's great.  I hope you continue feeling good.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2313 on: April 13, 2020, 09:26:22 PM »
At my workplace we've been having our team meetings and one-on-ones remotely of course (audio only), but my manager decided that today's team meeting would include video. She said that she misses the face time with all of us.

Okay, I wasn't surprised that everyone's houses are nicer than mine. Our house looks "lived in", whereas most homes around here could be movie sets. But all the other guys were clean shaven and actually presentable. What's up with that? I'm pretty sure the ones that weren't bald even brushed their hair. I thought it was a given that we'd all look like hell, so I literally stepped out of the shower, put on a T-shirt and sweats, and joined the meeting. Do these people not understand? We're in a lockdown, folks!

Next time I'll probably brush my hair, but that's about it. Seriously. That's the whole point of working from home, isn't it?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2314 on: April 13, 2020, 09:57:05 PM »
Orbert delivers, once again!

Being off work, I have been shaving on my normal schedule (every 3-4 days) because I hate being scruffy. But otherwise I have just been waking up and throwing on whatever clothes I had out from the night before (fresh skivvies, of course). I haven't even been putting in my contact lenses.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2315 on: April 13, 2020, 10:18:47 PM »
My T-shirt and sweatpants are also my pajamas, so most days I literally do not change clothes at all.  I get up in the morning eat breakfast, then wander down to the office to work.  After work, yay, I'm already home, so I don't need to change into my comfy clothes.  And we're not going out or anything, so I'm good.  Daily routine is out the window these days.  I've seen other guys growing their beards out and stuff, so I just assumed that I'm in the majority by having not shaved for over a month.

I look pretty scary on a good day, so I'm sure I looked like absolute shit this morning.  Oh well.  Working from home, I'm not gonna get all clean and shiny just because of a web conference.  My boss wanted to see us, she saw us.  A bunch of clean-shaven nerdy guys... and me.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2316 on: April 14, 2020, 06:26:48 AM »
My T-shirt and sweatpants are also my pajamas, so most days I literally do not change clothes at all.  I get up in the morning eat breakfast, then wander down to the office to work.  After work, yay, I'm already home, so I don't need to change into my comfy clothes.  And we're not going out or anything, so I'm good.  Daily routine is out the window these days.  I've seen other guys growing their beards out and stuff, so I just assumed that I'm in the majority by having not shaved for over a month.

I look pretty scary on a good day, so I'm sure I looked like absolute shit this morning.  Oh well.  Working from home, I'm not gonna get all clean and shiny just because of a web conference.  My boss wanted to see us, she saw us.  A bunch of clean-shaven nerdy guys... and me.
I still shower, shave and get dressed in normal clothes most days even though I'm only going in to work for a couple hours once or twice a week and all of our meetings have been audio only. It just feels better to me to act like normal. But I've also never been one to change into sweatpants or something more comfortable when I get home from work. I wear jeans and a decent shirt to work most days and stay in that for the rest of the day. And I feel gross if I don't shower or shave. Plus I don't want my wife to think I'm turning into a slob. I still try and look decent for her.

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #2317 on: April 14, 2020, 06:35:11 AM »
For the two weeks that I was home on self-isolation, it was mostly sweats or crappy jeans. I like to tool around the yard or in the garage, so generally an old pair of jeans and t-shirt on weekends or when I'm off. I did stop shaving at the beginning of the isolation, just to see what would happen. Have always had a goatee, but let the full thing fill in. I like it and my wife isn't complaining, so even though I've been back to work for two weeks, I still haven't shaved except to shape. It is snow-white though, if I let it go until December, I could definitely play Santa, and I have the bod for it too.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2318 on: April 14, 2020, 06:36:23 AM »
I've been growing my beard out for 4 years now, although I tried it down once a couple years ago because I fudged it up in a big way. No going back from a giant beard  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2319 on: April 14, 2020, 06:39:15 AM »
I always had a beard in recent years, and I never cut it in at least 5 years. I have a goatee mixed with a line following the rest of the jaw and back up to the hair, so the cheeks and where my jugular is are free.

The saturday before the last one I cut it and I felt naked, and also 5 years younger  :lol but I'll never go clean shaven again, the beard suits me a lot better. It's nice, after the first days, to see it slowly grow back, I'm planning of leaving it grow for at least 2 full weeks before starting to trim it again.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2320 on: April 14, 2020, 06:47:05 AM »
** My response isn't completely directed AT you.  I'm just tired of seeing store shelves depleted of cleaning supplies and even things like baby wipes or paper towels (for the DIY recipes to make your own disinfectant wipes) because of the panic surrounding "studies" that show that the virus can be detected on things.  All germs can be detected on things after they are transmitted.  This is not unique.

Preach it brutha!!

I've been saying from day 1 that the exact wrong thing to do is panic buy. I mean, I understand that protecting your family is job number 1 but part of protecting your family is protecting others and all panic buying does is strain the system which puts others and us in distress.

BTW - we're doing the same thing, we pickup groceries (aisles online) and only get what we need and are not too worried about transmission. Just be smart, wash hands and stay home.

The new thing is people making bread at home, with the assumption that if they make their own bread, they don't have to go to the store as often.  But they're still going to the store more often because they can't find flour and yeast to make the bread because it's all sold out.  :facepalm:

Just buy your regular groceries once a week, wear a mask and wash your hands. 

Glad you're feeling ok Herrick!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2321 on: April 14, 2020, 06:51:11 AM »
Just out of curiosity, are you wearing a mask when you go in public?

I'm not. I'd say slightly less than half of people around me seem to be.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2322 on: April 14, 2020, 07:07:51 AM »

I'm not either.

A couple days ago my county reported zero new cases for the first time in weeks which is awesome; yesterday only one additional case was confirmed. And of the 80-something documented cases, only 37 are still active, with only 2 deaths in the whole county. Hooray! Not out of the woods yet but great news.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #2323 on: April 14, 2020, 07:13:57 AM »

It's actually pretty much required in NJ now if you want to go into a store of any sort...not to protect oneself, but to minimize potential of transmission to others (by catching/absorbing a significant portion of the aerosols from coughing/sneezing/breathing). I've been using a scarf the past few days, but my MIL is sending us a couple that she made, so we won;t have to be so ghetto about it.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2324 on: April 14, 2020, 07:20:16 AM »

It depends on where we go.  My dad gave us two N-95 masks, for my wife and I.  We wear them if one of us goes to the grocery store, as there are more people around us.  If we're just going to pick up food from a take-out place or going to the gas station, I won't wear it, since we aren't coming into contact with a lot of people at once.

The higher risk people in my family are wearing surgical or cloth masks whenever they are in public. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2325 on: April 14, 2020, 07:37:15 AM »

As much as I would rather be at the office than at home, I have to admit I am getting used to working from home to where I can wake up, throw on some pajama pants and a hoodie and get right to work.  :lol :lol   

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2326 on: April 14, 2020, 07:46:27 AM »
Yeah, I was a complete mess the first week in terms of anything approaching a healthy daily schedule. Since then I've been good about getting up early, exercising, and showering and making my bed before work. But the one thing I can't get on board with is dressing up/making myself presentable like I'm going into the office. Pajamas and unruly hair all day every day.

I'm not. Luckily I don't really have any need to go into stores but I don't wear one when I go out for a walk. It's early enough in the day (7am-8:30am) that I don't really encounter anyone else out and about.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2327 on: April 14, 2020, 07:51:12 AM »

I do. Unfortunately, I stopped walking to work so i've been taking the bus and it's usually crowded. Fortunately, someone donated 2,000 masks for us, with about 10 employees a day we have plenty of mask to last us a while.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2328 on: April 14, 2020, 08:52:27 AM »
Your HOA? I am the president of my HOA (it's small, only 34 separate homes) and I can't imagine sending out anything to our homeowners about our state's "stay home" order. Even if I saw a bunch of people gathering. We have been walking the neighborhood lately since the weather has gotten nicer and I've seen more people doing the same. Everyone is very friendly and says hello while keeping a few feet apart.

Yea, it was kind of indirect though. We got a letter saying something along the lines of "It has come to our attention that guests have been parking all over the street and that certain households have been loud past 10 PM, which violates HOA rules... Oh and FYI there is a stay-at-home order, in case you didn't know." I'm sure they're being flooded with complaints right now, and so they eventually caved and decided to send something out as soon as actual HOA rules started being violated.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2329 on: April 14, 2020, 08:58:52 AM »
Wow.  Most accounts I've read from survivors say that you seem to get past it, then a few days later it comes back with a vengeance.  I'm sure you knew that already.

I've heard about those but I haven't heard of any accounts where people feel 100% normal then go downhill. Even though my job said I can go back after 72 hours with no symptoms, I'm going to give stay home another week just to be sure.
Glad you're on the mend!! 

Offline emtee

« Reply #2330 on: April 14, 2020, 09:26:10 AM »
Feels like we're turning the corner. Mentally, spiritually, and in terms of
meaningful metrics.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2331 on: April 14, 2020, 09:28:26 AM »

Ft. Lauderdale is forcing all stores to have employees and customers wear masks. I made one from an old t-shirt sleeve. The kind that hooks on my ears was annoying.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2332 on: April 14, 2020, 09:35:02 AM »
Feels like we're turning the corner. Mentally, spiritually, and in terms of
meaningful metrics.

I really hope this is true.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2333 on: April 14, 2020, 10:28:08 AM »

Texas just made it mandatory last night. My wife and I typically take a walk in the evenings and nobody is outside. I'm the one that goes grocery shopping on Saturday morning (I do the meal prep for the work week) and I also pickup lunch from the local restaurants in the area on Saturday and Sunday. We'll see how this goes.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2334 on: April 14, 2020, 11:37:12 AM »

I stepped out to the world this afternoon to get some groceries.  It's mandatory in NJ and looked like everyone followed the rules.  My local shoprite didn't seem to be limiting people into the store though, so it was pretty packed inside even for a Tuesday noontime.  I thought maybe that would be a bit more quiet, I was wrong.  Either way, the store had pretty much everything besides TP that I think I just missed as others had it in their carts but it was gone by the time I got there. 

I also got some more booze since the liqoure store is next to it and they are taking totally different measures. You wait in your car and someone comes out and takes your order, grabs your credit card, and comes back to put it in your car with your receipt.  Not bad service at all other than a bit longer of a wait vs just going in and grabbing what you want, but its not like they charged me for getting curbside pick up so I cant complain.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2335 on: April 14, 2020, 03:59:42 PM »

As much as I would rather be at the office than at home, I have to admit I am getting used to working from home to where I can wake up, throw on some pajama pants and a hoodie and get right to work.  :lol :lol

I live alone so I'm loving it.  The day I have to go back to the office will be depressing. :(
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2336 on: April 14, 2020, 04:08:25 PM »

I live alone so I'm loving it.  The day I have to go back to the office will be depressing. :(

It's tough, I do enjoy not having a commute.  That's about 2 extra hours a day to myself which means I sleep in every day now.  But I do miss getting out of the house and being productive.  Days drag a lot more when I am home.  It would be nice to be able to do a split of work from home and go to the office.  Once this all clears though, I expect to be in the office non stop catching up on all the work we were supposed to be doing now and then I will miss working from home.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2337 on: April 14, 2020, 04:26:30 PM »
I am selfishly loving this. I have never liked any of my jobs, though my current one comes closest to any sense of enjoyment. I like the guys I work with and being in the van half the day where I can listen to music. I love being at home with my family and, unlike my wife, rarely feel like I need to "get out." I am enjoying helping my 8 year old with her schoolwork, and playing Barbies and ponies with my 2 year old. I am not remotely looking forward to going back to work.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2338 on: April 14, 2020, 04:30:59 PM »
Having been a work at home guy for 10 years already, and employed by tight-wad company that didn’t allow for much in the first place for the last 2, and living in a small community for the last year  .... well, not a lot has changed for this Cochise.

It’s fascinating to read everyone else’s takes on this though
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2339 on: April 14, 2020, 05:39:03 PM »
I'm only 10 minutes (3 miles) from work, so the loss of the commute for me is not that big a deal, but with not having to get up, shower and then make the drive to work, that is an extra half hour I can sleep every day now (if my body allows it).  I have to be at work at 8, so I'm normally up around 6:50, out the door by 7:30 and start work as soon as I get there around 7;40-7:45 (I hate being late for anything, so I am always early), but nowadays I can sleep till around 7:30 or so, crawl out of bed, brush my teeth and pee, and then get online and get to work.

One big difference is my mentality regarding "after hours" work.  Even though I am 8-5, I am salary, so if any shit hits the fans in the evening or on weekends (the ones I am not on call, which is most of them since I only have to do around 5 on call weekends a year), we are expected to take care of it (I would normally check my phone for emails a couple times in the evening just to make sure nothing came up that needed immediate attention, and work does pay a portion of our cell phone bill every month, so there's that), but after being at the office all day, it could be annoying to have to get back "on the clock" to work, but I do it and it's fine.  But with working at home, I have noticed it never bothers me anymore.  Maybe it's because I am stuck at home and what the hell else is there to do :lol, but it's definitely a different mentality. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2340 on: April 14, 2020, 05:43:08 PM »

I have to wear one at work now.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2341 on: April 14, 2020, 06:03:54 PM »
I've worn a mask 2 times, both when grocery shopping.  I don't wear one when I go on my walks but I'm vigilant about the 6 foot rule.

But the hard part for me is that I have a mild phobia about having my nose and mouth covered.  It makes me feel like I'm suffocating.  Cognitively, I know I'm not, but I'm having a very hard time controlling my anxiety when I'm wearing one.  It has been suggested to me that I take a Xanax before I go out, but I honestly don't think it would help and it might make it worse.  And I really shouldn't drive while on those types of meds.

Anyone have any helpful suggestions?  I'm stuck with grocery detail and I try to only go every 2 weeks but by then our list is long and it takes a long time.  I feel like I'm drowning the whole damn time.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2342 on: April 14, 2020, 06:19:33 PM »
I'm not in love with wearing a mask. It takes a bit to get used to. Honestly, my suggestion is to not wait two weeks between shopping trips so you don't have to wear it for such a long period of time.

I've spent 8+ hours in a grocery store almost every day during all of this. I think the more you try and normalize your shopping, the less anxiety will build up, mask or no mask.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2343 on: April 14, 2020, 10:55:05 PM »
I've worn a mask 2 times, both when grocery shopping.  I don't wear one when I go on my walks but I'm vigilant about the 6 foot rule.

But the hard part for me is that I have a mild phobia about having my nose and mouth covered.  It makes me feel like I'm suffocating.  Cognitively, I know I'm not, but I'm having a very hard time controlling my anxiety when I'm wearing one.  It has been suggested to me that I take a Xanax before I go out, but I honestly don't think it would help and it might make it worse.  And I really shouldn't drive while on those types of meds.

Anyone have any helpful suggestions?  I'm stuck with grocery detail and I try to only go every 2 weeks but by then our list is long and it takes a long time.  I feel like I'm drowning the whole damn time.

What about grocery delivery or pickup instead?  I know it's hard to get, but if you get started now you might be able to switch over.  If that doesn't work, you could get as many nonperishables as you can online and then only go to the grocery store for the fresh stuff.   Then you'll be in the mask for a shorter time and still won't have to go to the store often.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2344 on: April 15, 2020, 01:15:16 AM »
I don't know how much the enjoyment of the staying at home thing is gonna last, and if after a while I would start to miss the city life.

Right now I gave up alltogether: waking up an hour early, taking the subway, wearing shoes, shaving, caring about what I wear (it's a cop out since I'm at home, but technically I did work wearing an Iron Maiden shirt  ;D), and it's great. But I also renounced the compilations I was listening to go back and from work, reading in the subway (of course I can read at home but the gifted me with 3 months of Netflix and I'm making the most out of it), hanging out with coworkers and being in the city whenever I want... I live just outside Milan, in a nice but quite uneventful little-ish town, and it's nice to stop whenever I want in the centre of Milan, seeing the new modern squares and parks I like so much, or doing other stuff I might need to do, working at home and staying at home (contingency of the quarantine aside) in the long run would be boring, I need to do something more in my day.

But as of now, having one extra hour of sleep and one extra hour of chilling out is great. For sure the impact of the change of the season (daylight saving and additional tiredness brought by the allergies) has been lessened A LOT by staying at home,
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!