Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 435143 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #2135 on: April 06, 2020, 10:27:14 PM »
Just want to say, awesome job Chino! Hopefully it makes a difference. I'm sure it will  :tup I went to the Amazon link you posted to order you something. Looks like Podaar beat me to the punch  :lol  :metal

On a side note, I just found out that one of the guys working in the same house as me all last week (working for a different sub-contractor) was just diagnosed with Covid-19 over the weekend.... I'm not too concerned for myself, but my wife is the administrator for an assisted living facility, so she comes in contact with a lot of older people on a daily basis. I just hope I didn't inadvertently spread it to her....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2136 on: April 07, 2020, 01:07:21 AM »
So sorry Orbert  :-\ fingers crossed and hoping the doctors will pull through!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline emtee

« Reply #2137 on: April 07, 2020, 06:08:18 AM »
I wonder how many lives were saved from auto accidents over
the last  3-4 weeks, and if that number comes close to offsetting
The Covid deaths?

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2138 on: April 07, 2020, 06:17:53 AM »
That's awful Orbert.  Just when I feel like I'm getting used to our situation, a story like that shocks me back into reality.  Hang in there!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2139 on: April 07, 2020, 06:50:24 AM »
Orbert, so sorry to hear that, I really hope they both pull through.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2140 on: April 07, 2020, 07:27:05 AM »
Wrong thread

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2141 on: April 07, 2020, 07:28:06 AM »
Thanks, guys.  I feel so sorry for their girls.  Both parents in, and nothing they can do about it, so they sit at home and wait for updates from the doctors.  The worst part about all of this is the feeling that you can't do anything about it.

Well, except Chino.  Chino is the man.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2142 on: April 07, 2020, 07:30:31 AM »
I'm so so sorry that you're going through all this Orbert. I really hope he and his wife both pull through.  And the damage from the stroke wasn't too bad.

So sorry to hear about this.
Hope both he and his wife gets better and hope the stroke did not cause much damage.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2143 on: April 07, 2020, 11:09:53 AM »
Be safe my DTF Family... I pray the worst is behind us.

EPICVIEW
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2144 on: April 07, 2020, 11:21:47 AM »
Italy reported less than 4,000 cases for the first time since March 17. It look a while but Italy's numbers are starting to go down.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2145 on: April 07, 2020, 11:29:32 AM »
My manager at the store I work at called to tell me a vendor who's delivery I checked in tested positive for the virus. Does that mean I'm immune seeing as this was like 2 weeks ago?  ???

*Randy Orton pose*

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2146 on: April 07, 2020, 11:36:49 AM »
My manager at the store I work at called to tell me a vendor who's delivery I checked in tested positive for the virus. Does that mean I'm immune seeing as this was like 2 weeks ago?  ???

*Randy Orton pose*

No. Not everyone who has contact with someone ends up getting it, nor does everyone show symptoms. So either A, you just didn't contract it, or B, you did but never showed any symptoms.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2147 on: April 07, 2020, 12:03:14 PM »
Be safe my DTF Family... I pray the worst is behind us.

EPICVIEW

Same to you too my friend.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2148 on: April 07, 2020, 12:27:51 PM »
In foreign news, there was an israelian minister, also a rabbi, that said that the virus was God's punishment for homosexuality.

........I assume you all can take a wild guess about where this is going, right? and what's the current health state of said minister  :P
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Adami

« Reply #2149 on: April 07, 2020, 12:29:51 PM »
In foreign news, there was an israelian minister, also a rabbi, that said that the virus was God's punishment for homosexuality.

........I assume you all can take a wild guess about where this is going, right? and what's the current health state of said minister  :P

Israeli*

And he's the health minister.

THE HEALTH MINISTER!

Edit: I'm not yelling at you. I'm yelling because it's just so insane .

2nd edit: Also dude said that the messiah will come (around now) anyway so no big deal.

THE HEALTH MINISTER!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2150 on: April 07, 2020, 12:40:35 PM »
THE HEALTH MINISTER
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Adami

« Reply #2151 on: April 07, 2020, 12:44:56 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2152 on: April 07, 2020, 12:45:55 PM »

*Randy Orton pose*

No. Not everyone who has contact with someone ends up getting it, nor does everyone show symptoms. So either A, you just didn't contract it, or B, you did but never showed any symptoms.

There is also option C which is you have it don't show any symptoms but can still infect others. Not trying to scare anyone but it's just a matter of fact...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2153 on: April 07, 2020, 01:16:26 PM »
Well, technically, that's still option B, just with more information.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2154 on: April 07, 2020, 01:19:48 PM »
Also to clarify, if you did get it and were asymptomatic, you may have developed some immunity.  The problem is no one knows for sure if you would be immune or how immune you actually are to maybe a large dose of the virus or a slightly different strand.  The point being, even if you do gain some immunity from catching the virus and recovering (asymptomatic or not), you should still proceed with caution and act as if you are not immune at all.  But based on other virus' and what Dr. Fauci has been saying, there is some truth to potentially gaining an immunity to the virus after recovery.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2155 on: April 07, 2020, 01:58:37 PM »
Meanwhile, Wisconsin held its primary vote yesterday with in person voting, overriding the push by their governor to delay it until June.  The vast majority of polling places were not open, as most volunteers refused to report, absentee ballots will not be received in time, etc etc.  The US Supreme Court upheld Wisconsin's Supreme Court ruling that it must be held in person.

btw.....both courts made their decisions via teleconferencing :facepalm: :facepalm:
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2156 on: April 07, 2020, 02:05:55 PM »
yea, that's crazy.  I mean, it's a real issue.  How do we hold our elections this year?

Also, NYC was seeming to maybe see data of flattening the curve, the last two days total daily deaths were going down... then today is so far the most deaths in one day in NYC at over 700.  Just when there might have been some hope.. I see Iron Maiden had some shows cancelled this summer, one in Denmark where they are saying social gatherings are all banned until August.  Ugh that's a long time away.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2157 on: April 07, 2020, 02:15:07 PM »
yea, that's crazy.  I mean, it's a real issue.  How do we hold our elections this year?

If we had an administration with any kind of decency, we'd already be building the infrastructure for a nation-wide vote from home. My guess is, if anything, we'll see them try and delay the election rather than let people vote by mail.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2158 on: April 07, 2020, 02:38:55 PM »

If we had an administration with any kind of decency, we'd already be building the infrastructure for a nation-wide vote from home. My guess is, if anything, we'll see them try and delay the election rather than let people vote by mail.

There's non-COVID-19, non-Trump issues with that, though.  Not everyone is all-in on "vote from home". 

Offline emtee

« Reply #2159 on: April 07, 2020, 02:44:46 PM »
I never looked this stat up before but according to the CDC site,
between 290K to 690K people die annually, globally from the flu.
Kind of puts things in perspective.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2160 on: April 07, 2020, 02:49:34 PM »

There's non-COVID-19, non-Trump issues with that, though.  Not everyone is all-in on "vote from home".

Not everyone was all-in on "stay in place" or "you must bring your own reusable bags to the grocery store", but here we are.

Given the circumstance, I don't see how this isn't being explored/heavily considered. At least for this particular election.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2161 on: April 07, 2020, 02:55:35 PM »

Not everyone was all-in on "stay in place" or "you must bring your own reusable bags to the grocery store", but here we are.

Given the circumstance, I don't see how this isn't being explored/heavily considered. At least for this particular election.

"Good cases make bad law". 

I see profound differences between "stay in place" and "[bags]", and fundamentally altering the course of our elections, a component of which - the perception of trust/reliability - is almost as important as the actual votes themselves.  The whole essence of "Russia!" was the mere idea that our election was corrupted (notwithstanding that Russia has been involving itself for the better part of 50 years, but that's neither here.  Nor there.)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2162 on: April 07, 2020, 02:56:26 PM »
We can move to P/R (and totally non-partisan), but considering all the things we can do from home in 2020, why are we still voting like it is 1936?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2163 on: April 07, 2020, 02:59:26 PM »
We can move to P/R (and totally non-partisan), but considering all the things we can do from home in 2020, why are we still voting like it is 1936?

I can imagine the potential for hacking and rigging an online voting election.  Plus how do you prove who is voting?  There's a lot that can go wrong with voting online.  Not to say voting in person is a perfect solution, just that online seems way more potentially bad IMO.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2164 on: April 07, 2020, 03:02:55 PM »
I was thinking by mail, which is something WA has been doing for years. So at least it feels more like 1986 and not 1936.

No, nothing is perfect. I am not convinced they don't toss the ballots for candidates they don't like, and "finding" ballots for those they do, especially when that person is behind in a close election. Going to a voting place makes the most sense, if it were like on a Saturday and took no one more than 15 minutes.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2165 on: April 07, 2020, 03:10:17 PM »
If there are queues for shopping groceries, there can be queues for voting in a presidential election. Spread people out, let one in at a time, make the distances be respected. At worst, make it last 48 hours, if longer queues makes it impossible to get in.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2166 on: April 07, 2020, 05:36:43 PM »
This is what my masks look like finished. Next batch is going to be black  :metal

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2167 on: April 07, 2020, 05:45:46 PM »
Looks awesome chino!  :metal

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2168 on: April 07, 2020, 06:38:05 PM »
Fucking sweet!! :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2169 on: April 07, 2020, 06:38:55 PM »
I was thinking by mail, which is something WA has been doing for years. So at least it feels more like 1986 and not 1936.

No, nothing is perfect. I am not convinced they don't toss the ballots for candidates they don't like, and "finding" ballots for those they do, especially when that person is behind in a close election. Going to a voting place makes the most sense, if it were like on a Saturday and took no one more than 15 minutes.

But that's a good point and part of what I'm going for.   I think people would be surprised how many votes were cast last go-round (2016) either early (that is, in person, but not on Election Day at the polls), or absentee/mail-in: about 40%.  Some states, more than 50% of votes cast were NOT on Election Day.  That's fine.  But of the 16 states that had more than 50% of their votes cast, shall we say, "virtually", 9 went Republican, totalling about 25M out of 40M votes (and that includes California's whopping 8.5M "virtual" votes).  In as divisive an environment as we live in, where the mere mention of "Russia" is enough to open inquiries into election interference, where facts are far less integral to our thought processes than we care to admit, I'm not sure the psyche of the 50% of the American voting public that doesn't get their way in November is ready for this type of system to be forced into place in the space of a couple months. And god forbid we don't have a result on the night of Election Day, or at the very least when we wake up to coffee the next day (double that if Trump wins, triple that if Trump loses!)

This is where I got my voting numbers.

This is a good article about the ramp up in time, cost, work-force, and learning curve.