Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 443037 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #2275 on: April 12, 2020, 11:35:35 AM »
I understand that some people don't think the virus is real.

I don't understand this at all.

There are anti vaxxers, flat earthers, believers in the fact that the major world leaders are alien with reptilian forms but people not understanding this virus is too far fetched for you?

No, I just think all of that is silly and stupid. Like people burning down cell phone broadcasting towers because they believe 5G networks help spread the virus. What in the actual fuck?

Conspiracy theory and downright stupidity just isn’t really my thing and I have a hard time acknowledging this sort of thing as a ‘valid opinion’, so that’s why I said what I said. I do not understand that there are people who believe the virus is fake.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2276 on: April 12, 2020, 11:39:38 AM »
I think anyone that thinks it's fake would be extremely fringe.

Now people that don't think it'll happen to them, would be far greater.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2277 on: April 12, 2020, 12:47:14 PM »
I think it's as real as the flu.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2278 on: April 12, 2020, 01:20:58 PM »
In spite of all this, half the households in my neighborhoods have decided to be defiant and give a stern middle finger to the ruling. Across the street, you have Mr. State Trooper who currently has a half-dozen people over for Easter lunch.

Cherry-picking this example, I don't know if having 6 people getting together for lunch is "giving the finger." I don't know what is in their minds, maybe it is out of spite. But I wouldn't chastise 6 people if they assessed their individual and collective situations, and if they decided it was reasonable, got together for lunch. I believe the virus exists, and accept that my employer is temporarily shut down and schools are closed, but I also think it reasonable for my kids to play with the neighbor kids, and I chat with their dad when they play, as we both understand each family is minimizing their exposure to others.

I think you could very well be right. We've just gotten so many warnings about the stay-at-home order from the HOA, the mail, the news, etc. that violating it at this point smells fishy.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2279 on: April 12, 2020, 01:26:58 PM »
I don't think there are too many people that flat out think the whole thing is a lie. There are definitely plenty of people who think the risks are being way overblown by the fear mongering media.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2280 on: April 12, 2020, 01:28:09 PM »
Your HOA? I am the president of my HOA (it's small, only 34 separate homes) and I can't imagine sending out anything to our homeowners about our state's "stay home" order. Even if I saw a bunch of people gathering. We have been walking the neighborhood lately since the weather has gotten nicer and I've seen more people doing the same. Everyone is very friendly and says hello while keeping a few feet apart.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2281 on: April 12, 2020, 10:27:26 PM »
Things are getting a lil dicey in my industry, Oil Refining.  Lack of demand and a glut of supply are causing us to reduce rates considerably and may lead us to shut down the whole refinery.  Of course with our industry there is a huge domino effect with regards to industry support and employment, contract companies and so forth. Initially we, like most refineries tried to maximize diesel fuel, and now there is an over supply of it..  The markets for jet fuel and gasoline have dried up dramatically.   Here's an interesting article.  The pic is actually of my refinery, the largest in California.

https://www.rigzone.com/oil/news/wire/some_us_oil_refineries_may_be_about_to_shut-09-apr-2020-161706-article/?utm_source=GLOBAL_ENG&fbclid=IwAR2MoUif8IseQFNUCU4QJWu0HrYe_m4AeaA1MK9K3xI5gEfltXQhzdqA5TY

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2282 on: April 13, 2020, 06:38:43 AM »
In side news, remember the Krakatoa? you might have heard it at some point as an historical trivia, the famous 1883 eruption that was one of the most violent in recorded history and that basically cancelled summer all over the planet for a year (and possibly paining the sky in the weird way that you see in Munch's "The Scream")... well, it's not that it was always dormant ever since, a couple of years ago it caused a tsunami for example, but it started to erupt AGAIN these last few days.

After australian fires, the virus and the locusts in Africa, file this under the "At this point I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Godzilla" category.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2283 on: April 13, 2020, 07:04:02 AM »
Krakatoa is wild, man. It shot stuff like 15+ miles into space at a speed of something like a half mile per second. The sound wave it generated went around the Earth 4 times! I've read about guys on boats 50 miles from the explosion who still went deaf because of it.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2284 on: April 13, 2020, 07:15:33 AM »
In side news, remember the Krakatoa? you might have heard it at some point as an historical trivia, the famous 1883 eruption that was one of the most violent in recorded history and that basically cancelled summer all over the planet for a year (and possibly paining the sky in the weird way that you see in Munch's "The Scream")... well, it's not that it was always dormant ever since, a couple of years ago it caused a tsunami for example, but it started to erupt AGAIN these last few days.

After australian fires, the virus and the locusts in Africa, file this under the "At this point I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Godzilla" category.

Indonesia is struggling. Mount Merapi last month and now Krakatoa.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline emtee

« Reply #2285 on: April 13, 2020, 07:21:04 AM »
Add tornadoes to the growing list of global calamities.

Things are getting slightly better here at my hospita.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2286 on: April 13, 2020, 08:00:41 AM »
Just wanted to give a little update/thanks (I really hope these don't come off like I'm fishing for praise) on the mask making effort.

I've given out 12 masks (the white ones I posted earlier) to nurses and RNs that I know personally who needed them at work. The contents of the image below are all going to be my part of my first bulk donation to the hospital down the street. The ones that are bagged are 100% complete and ready to donate, the others still need to be rubber coated, filtered, and strapped. After nearly two weeks of non-stop running (and two years and 2000+ hours of running leading up to that) my primary printer shit the bed late Friday night. I had to do some surgery to the main control box and a few hot fixes to keep the thing running. The machine is going again, but I missed out on the production of 3 or 4 masks while it was down.

Thanks again to all who contributed and reached out about contributing. We're a good bunch  :metal

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2287 on: April 13, 2020, 08:19:12 AM »
........BANE?

Offline emtee

« Reply #2288 on: April 13, 2020, 08:49:26 AM »
Outstanding effort mate !

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2289 on: April 13, 2020, 09:07:35 AM »
I got to the "Amazon list" late, but in any event, really proud to know you, Chino.  That's a hell of a thing you did, and even if you were fishing for praise (I don't at all think you were, by the way) you'd deserve it!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2290 on: April 13, 2020, 09:27:21 AM »
One positive in this Distribution Center for Convid 19. Other side of the building but it's got this building talking.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2291 on: April 13, 2020, 09:33:14 AM »
One positive in this Distribution Center for Convid 19. Other side of the building but it's got this building talking.

Welp.   :\
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2292 on: April 13, 2020, 09:36:02 AM »
They have 6 question and they take everyone's temperature before being allowed into the DC  If you have a temp of 100 degrees you have to go to your doctor.

Not perfect but it is a way to stop people from working sick.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2293 on: April 13, 2020, 09:37:10 AM »
Hoping you stay safe and healthy, Joe. :(
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2294 on: April 13, 2020, 09:46:02 AM »
We have checklists for every employee to clean and washing/hand sanitizer their hands multiple times.  I've bought bottled water so you one uses the bubbler.  We wipe down all the door handles, forklifts every shift. We are doing everything to keep the employees safe.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2295 on: April 13, 2020, 09:55:47 AM »
I was mocked here last week when I mentioned we had been soaping off our shoes for weeks before entering our house (those 'droplets' react to gravity, after all).

Well.....     https://www.thedailybeast.com/centers-for-disease-control-and-prevention-study-shows-coronavirus-can-live-on-floors-shoes

Meanwhile, Tony Spell holds mass for the busloads of science nonbelievers again, in a state with the top five rate of cases and deaths per capita.  Maybe 'they' are magically shielded, but I guess they don't care about transmitting anything to their neighborhoods upon returning home.  :facepalm:

(and, once again, 'well done, Chino!')
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2296 on: April 13, 2020, 12:05:48 PM »

It's not just the Krakatoa. The pic below shows all the volcanoes that were erupting yesterday.

And if that wasn't enough, we also have wildfires in Chernobyl spreading radiation

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/world/europe/chernobyl-wildfire.html

Nature is giving us the biggest FU I've ever seen
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2297 on: April 13, 2020, 12:10:53 PM »
^^ Well, all of this goes back to what I've read from a few posts here a few times in the past.  We have spent decades abusing this planet and suck every ounce of resources it has and now the planet is fighting back in ways we did not anticipate.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2298 on: April 13, 2020, 12:16:43 PM »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2299 on: April 13, 2020, 12:41:22 PM »
I was mocked here last week when I mentioned we had been soaping off our shoes for weeks before entering our house (those 'droplets' react to gravity, after all).

Well.....     https://www.thedailybeast.com/centers-for-disease-control-and-prevention-study-shows-coronavirus-can-live-on-floors-shoes

Meanwhile, Tony Spell holds mass for the busloads of science nonbelievers again, in a state with the top five rate of cases and deaths per capita.  Maybe 'they' are magically shielded, but I guess they don't care about transmitting anything to their neighborhoods upon returning home.  :facepalm:

(and, once again, 'well done, Chino!')

The CDC study was conducted in a hospital, not your neighborhood grocery store or sidewalk.  Samples from the floor were noted as "weak positive" results. 

That article that you linked just cherry picked the "OMG IT LIVES ON SHOES," without mentioning the rest of the information. 

Therefore, the soles of medical staff shoes might function as carriers. The 3 weak positive results from the floor of dressing room 4 might also arise from these carriers. We highly recommend that persons disinfect shoe soles before walking out of wards containing COVID-19 patients.

I've never disinfected my shoes after returning home from being out and about, and don't see a point in doing it now.  If I walked through a hospital right now, sure.  I firmly believe the most prevalent form of transmission is by being close to people, so if you wear a mask if you go somewhere where you would be around other people, use sanitizer, and then wash your hands at home, you're eliminating the majority of the risk.

** My response isn't completely directed AT you.  I'm just tired of seeing store shelves depleted of cleaning supplies and even things like baby wipes or paper towels (for the DIY recipes to make your own disinfectant wipes) because of the panic surrounding "studies" that show that the virus can be detected on things.  All germs can be detected on things after they are transmitted.  This is not unique.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 01:44:10 PM by Grappler »

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2300 on: April 13, 2020, 01:54:03 PM »
I just used one of the many outlets that were reporting it.  I'm just trying to be as safe as I can.  I'm no expert, but shoes seemed to be one of those overlooked items until recently.  We just don't know.  My wife and I are in a semi high risk category, so we're trying to take every precaution we can think of. 

And....'no harm, no foul' now taken. ;)

Earlier today, Smithfield announced they were shutting down in South Dakota:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/13/south-dakota-pork-plant-closes-after-200-workers-contract-covid-19

Pages ago in this thread, there were comments about 'doomsday bacon' amongst other 'doomday' items.  I got a needed chuckle from it then, but whoda thunk that it would/could become a reality? 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2301 on: April 13, 2020, 02:03:02 PM »
A lot of things I have read have said that while the virus can live on many surfaces for varying amounts of time, it's often not going to infect you from contacting such a stained surface as the virus isn't likely to be active and infectious while living on such surfaces.  Not that you can be safe, but many extreme measures aren't necessary.   It still comes back to just washing your hands and not touching your face as being the best way to prevent your own infection and spread.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #2302 on: April 13, 2020, 02:19:35 PM »
** My response isn't completely directed AT you.  I'm just tired of seeing store shelves depleted of cleaning supplies and even things like baby wipes or paper towels (for the DIY recipes to make your own disinfectant wipes) because of the panic surrounding "studies" that show that the virus can be detected on things.  All germs can be detected on things after they are transmitted.  This is not unique.

Preach it brutha!!

I've been saying from day 1 that the exact wrong thing to do is panic buy. I mean, I understand that protecting your family is job number 1 but part of protecting your family is protecting others and all panic buying does is strain the system which puts others and us in distress.

BTW - we're doing the same thing, we pickup groceries (aisles online) and only get what we need and are not too worried about transmission. Just be smart, wash hands and stay home.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2303 on: April 13, 2020, 05:15:03 PM »
So my boss came out on MSNBC today talking briefly about what we are doing.

https://www.msnbc.com/stephanie-ruhle/watch/pandemic-heaps-pressure-on-food-banks-81968709901

She’s the one on the right.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2304 on: April 13, 2020, 05:16:33 PM »
A lot of things I have read have said that while the virus can live on many surfaces for varying amounts of time, it's often not going to infect you from contacting such a stained surface as the virus isn't likely to be active and infectious while living on such surfaces.  Not that you can be safe, but many extreme measures aren't necessary.   It still comes back to just washing your hands and not touching your face as being the best way to prevent your own infection and spread.

Had to go to Target on a rainy day this morning to get a couple of prescriptions for my wife.  Once back home in the garage, I put my shoes in a shallow pan of water and Dawn, and then used a Lysol wipe.  And then cleaned my hands again.  And then our door handles before entering.  And then I switch shoes after that. Yeah, I guess it is semi-paranoiac, but I feel relaxed afterwards.  The main level of our home has four rooms of parquet, the kitchen and two baths have tile.  My wife walks around in bare feet 90% of the time, and our dog 100% ;)   I'm not worried about him, just him tracking it around.   Damn, maybe I am paranoid!

So my boss came out on MSNBC today talking briefly about what we are doing.

https://www.msnbc.com/stephanie-ruhle/watch/pandemic-heaps-pressure-on-food-banks-81968709901

She’s the one on the right.

I was part of two groups doing this on a weekly basis in Baltimore County and Baltimore City.  Due to high risk, I've had to discontinue assisting in what they are still managing to do at this time.  Keep up the good fight!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2305 on: April 13, 2020, 06:49:33 PM »
Herrick has not been keeping up with this thread so I don't know if any of you caught The Plague and posted about your experience. I'll try to keep mine brief.

On Sunday March 29, The Wife texted me at work telling me two villagers caught The Plague. I told management and they told me to go home immediately and stay there for two weeks.

On Saturday April 4, I started feeling sick. Just a very slight cough. The leetlest cough I've ever had actually. This lasted until Sunday April 5 (when I made an appointment to get tested) and went away Monday morning April 6. By Monday evening, I lost like 95% of taste and smell. That night I had really bad lower back pain. I have sciatica but this was far worse than the normal pain I have. Twas like a big ball of fire in the center of my lower back and it felt like the nerves in my legs were on fire while being pulled down through my legs.

On Tuesday April 7, I went to the place to get a sample taken for testing. The back pain persisted throughout that week and I slept about 4 hours a night. 800mg of Ibuprofen & 600mg of Acetaminophen barely put a dent in the pain. I tested positive for The Plague on Saturday April 11.

Around Sunday evening April 12, the back pain went away completely. Today I feel pretty much 100% humang again. I still cannot taste of smell much but it's getting better. It's an odd feeling to know I have bad breath in the morning but not being able to taste it  ???
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2306 on: April 13, 2020, 06:52:40 PM »
Herrick, glad you are getting better, scary stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2307 on: April 13, 2020, 06:58:41 PM »
Wow Herrick, scary shit. Glad you're feeling better.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2308 on: April 13, 2020, 08:36:07 PM »
Wow.  Most accounts I've read from survivors say that you seem to get past it, then a few days later it comes back with a vengeance.  I'm sure you knew that already.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2309 on: April 13, 2020, 08:46:24 PM »
Wow.  Most accounts I've read from survivors say that you seem to get past it, then a few days later it comes back with a vengeance.  I'm sure you knew that already.

I've heard about those but I haven't heard of any accounts where people feel 100% normal then go downhill. Even though my job said I can go back after 72 hours with no symptoms, I'm going to give stay home another week just to be sure.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!