Poll

Should everyone in Round 8 have to send the same type of submission?

Yes - the higher seeds will vote on their preference for EP, Greatest Hits, Album
No - each higher seed can choose for their respective matchup

Author Topic: Seneca v3 results  (Read 78269 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Seneca v3 The Peoples Roulette, R4 Hangman
« Reply #805 on: July 17, 2019, 01:40:04 PM »
Results will be posted later today.

While I work on writing them up, here are the average scores of each group, ranked:

A 7.375 (Cookie Monster)
B 6.75 (No metal, rock, or prog)
D 6.625 (Career closers)
C 5.375 (Non-English vocals)

Sorry, team  :lol

We're all in it together  :lol. I blame the theme

Ariich's song is pretty amazing, once I used Google translate to find it.
Thanks man, that album really is fantastic, highly recommend it. And yeah I gave Seneca the translated title to use otherwise hangman would have been completely impossible. :lol

Still, that is not a good average score for the group - ouch! Sorry chaps.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #806 on: July 17, 2019, 02:03:22 PM »
Yeah, I got three excellent Cookie Monster songs.

Day after day... and night after night...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #807 on: July 17, 2019, 02:03:45 PM »
If you stand 100% behind your song, then a restrictive theme shouldn't matter.  The only time I get pissed at restrictive themes is if I'm then relegated to sending something that (for me) is sub-standard.  Not gonna give any examples, cuz TIM would be a dink and use that against me.  I'm sure he's already got a plan in mind.

Just wait until he sees my "female-led, glam rock, power ballad" theme.   :lol

I haven't even thought about what my theme would be.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #808 on: July 17, 2019, 02:05:00 PM »

Reviewing the results, did he ever get the scores right? :2metal:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #809 on: July 17, 2019, 02:05:50 PM »

Yes, I'm expecting my SHIT song to score in the 0-1 range.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #810 on: July 17, 2019, 02:19:09 PM »

My group is 3 10's and a 0 (me)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #811 on: July 17, 2019, 02:22:14 PM »

Tomi...8
Biz...8
J Boy...8
TAC...3

6.75 average
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #812 on: July 17, 2019, 02:30:14 PM »

Tomi...8
Biz...8
J Boy...8
TAC...3

6.75 average

Not far off! Not far off...
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #813 on: July 17, 2019, 02:41:23 PM »
 The funny thing is that scores varying across groups doesn't matter so much since each group is only playing against each other  :corn

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #814 on: July 17, 2019, 02:55:22 PM »
The funny thing is that scores varying across groups doesn't matter so much since each group is only playing against each other  :corn
For sure, but we still want to introduce Seneca to stuff he likes.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #815 on: July 17, 2019, 02:57:06 PM »
Round 4 Results

Group A

Sacul: Obsidian Kingdom – “Last of the Light”
I wonder how all the pieces of this song work together as well as they do

First of all, your other submission was solid too, and probably would’ve snagged a decent score if not for the excellence of this one. It’s kind of the opposite of Cyril’s submission this round. Both can be brutal, but this one is far more nuanced, dynamic, unpredictable, and emotionally compelling. The middle section of the song is superb and unexpected, a muddled stew of genre that somehow comes together, builds together, and ultimately climaxes back at that brutal spot where it left off some 3.5 minutes earlier. How it does it, I’m not sure, but this is the group’s clear winner. 8.5

Stadler: John Lennon – “Watching the Wheels”
Nothing surprising here except that you managed to tie this to your theme

It would be an understatement to say I’m not a big fan of the Beatles. I respect their influence, but generally find their music a bit too tame and dated for my liking. Thankfully, you’ve picked out my favorite of the bunch, Lennon, and sent me what must be one of his better solo songs (I’m crazy for “Well Well Well” on Plastic Ono Band, but that’s another story). Like I alluded to in the first impression, this song is pretty much what I would expect from a Lennon solo song, though it actually ended up exceeding expectations. I won’t go into all the reasons, because 16 songs is quite the large batch, but here’s the crux of it: “they shake their heads / and they look at me as if I’ve lost my mind / I tell them, there’s no hurry / I’m just sitting here doing time.” Wonderful songwriting throughout and a lovely portrait of the artist, and of this artist in particular. 8

Lethean: Solefald – “Raudedauden”
Black metal riding a horse

Aggressive and punchy, but also with some lovely, melancholic clean interruptions sprinkled in. Again, I feel like this one contrasts well against Einkehr. It has a lot more going on, despite being only half the length, but it’s also consistently fun and engaging. The production is kind of polished by black metal standards, which I appreciate. Definitely going to check this album out. And guess what! You would’ve won the non-English group with this song, too! 8

Cyril: Der Weg einer Freiheit – Einkehr
Probably the most forgettable song of the group, which is a real shame considering that you chose the theme

I suppose this one could be riding a horse too, but more to the point, this one is the least memorable of the group. The drumming is bombastic as all get out, and I do like the at-the-breaking-point vocals, both of which contribute well to a feeling of catharsis. The biggest obstacle for me is that it doesn’t dial it back as frequently or as noticeably as I would like it to. It’s a bit one-note in that sense, and there’s only so much intensity I can take before I start zoning out a bit. Standard black metal. 5

Group B

Tomislav: Andrew Bird – “Fake Palindromes”
I like this song so far, but why can’t he enunciate properly? I’d love to know what he’s saying.

Again, you send the shortest song of the round and again it’s one of the best. I’ve had the melodies stuck in my head for a few days, even though I didn’t know what the lyrics were until later. Dude doesn’t really enunciate very well, does he? They are nice lyrics though: “Whiskey-plied voices cried fratricide!... She’s got blood in her eyes for you… Some lonely night we can get together / and I’m gonna tie your wrists with leather / and drill a tiny hole into your head” and the contrast between their darkness and the dreamy, indie folk music tickles my fancy real well. 8

FlyingBIZKIT: Stars of The Lid – “Dungtitled (In a Major)
Takes me back to my time in the amniotic sac.

You’re breaking through the 7-point ceiling with this one, by far the most minimalistic submission so far. It’s funny, because a few years ago I went through a phase of listening quite a bit to A Winged Victory for the Sullen, which I guess is an adjacent project to this one, but I never heard of Stars. The similarities are plenty, and if you haven’t heard Winged Victory, I would definitely recommend it. They’re both really good at developing full, swelling textures that envelop me in a restful place. If warm liquid could sing, this is what it would sound like. 8

Jingle.boy: Frankie Goes To Hollywood – Two Tribes
Decent pop music. Takes me back to a time I wasn’t alive.

This one makes me want to dance real bad. I read on Wikipedia that it was inspired by Russian classical music, which I guess I didn’t hear at first but do now, and it’s a really interesting combination along with the funkier elements of the song. I also like the song’s lyrical message and that last line “Are we living in a land / where sex and horror are the new Gods?” Not my favorite song of the group, but a nice, different offering. 6.5

TAC: Us3 – “Cantaloop”
Feels like you’re outside of your wheelhouse, and mine too!

This must be rap’s answer to elevator music—nothing to get really upset about, but generally insipid and uninteresting. Like everything else in the song, the brass doesn’t hurt, but again it’s not my cup of tea. The rap itself is easy on the ears, I’ll give you that, but that’s more a weakness than a strength in this instance. To give you some context, my favorite rap music (of which there is almost none) is generally harsher on the ears than Cantaloop’s “Groovy grovy jazzy funky pounce bounce dance.” Think Nas’s Illmatic “I rap for listeners, blunt heads, fly ladies and prisoners / Hennessey holders and old school niggas” https://open.spotify.com/track/2W58HMaCbjcUfZnZaeHtcC?si=nJWKtqc7TOm0CApaFfkPxg
Anyway, not my thing. Sorry dude, but BIZKIT got you good. 4.5

Group C

Ariich: Alkinoos Ioannidis – “She’s Not Here Anymore”
I generally love music of this style; the problem is that the lyrics are usually a big part of the appeal.

You made things somewhat difficult for me when you selected the theme you did, but I guess it ultimately worked out for you because when I think about all the songs and their respective origins, yours is the one that most strongly resembles my memory. This one sounds to me very much like the Cyprus I remember visiting a few years ago. It has a nice, kind of sad warmth to it that seeps past the language barrier. 6

Kattelox: Luca Turilli’s Rhapsody – “Luna”
Operatic and a bit over the top, but at least my girlfriend likes it.

This song is decent to my ears. Nothing more, nothing less. I’m pretty much indifferent to the vocals. He’s got impressive pipes, sure, and he hits that climax well, but otherwise the song feels more like a show tune than a me tune, and I’m a bit of an egoist when it comes to music: I want something that speaks to me on a personal level. Maybe that’s why this entire group struggled this round, seeing as how I don’t speak Italian, Greek, Icelandic, or French. 5.5

Nekov: Solstafir – Æra
This song has all the nuance of a sledgehammer

I’ve only heard one other song by Solstafir, Fjara, but it was quite different from this one, and I feel this would have benefited from the greater nuance and atmosphere of that one (as well as dreamy clean vocals. I’m listening to that song again now, just to jog my memory, and man that one is excellent!) This one feels particularly industrial, with everything built around that chugging, that chugging that I can imagine doing well in a commercial for Icelandic auto manufacturing. When the keys kick in during the second verse it adds another layer which is kind of interesting, but on the whole, this song never really surprised me after the first minute and a half, apart from the rawer scream just before the 4-minute mark. Which is more representative of Solstafir’s work, Fjara or Æra? 5.5

Romdrums: Cyrille Aimee – “Nuit Blanche”
Like a Parisian café where all the seats face outwards and the haughty natives scowl at the passing tourists

She’s got a pleasant voice, but there’s not much else about this song that draws my attention, and I have to admit I’ve generally been a bit relieved every time it ends. I know that sounds pretty harsh, and I’m not sure I can give you a satisfying reason why the song doesn’t do it for me. The jazz singing style showcases her voice well, it’s just not a style that I enjoy in this instance. The song feels, I don’t know, antiseptic? 4.5

Group D

Evermind: Leonard Cohen – “Steer Your Way” & “String Reprise/Treaty”
Serious deep voice that doesn’t sing so much as preach to the listener

Apart from one really obvious song, I’m not very familiar with Leonard Cohen, especially his work later in life. And damn, this one is fantastic. I love the simplicity of the music, which frames and punctuates the lyrics really well without ever distracting too much. Because let’s be real, this one is all about the lyrics, and it’s stronger for that. I’m tickled pink by almost every line in here: “Steer your heart past the Truth that you believed in yesterday / such as Fundamental Goodness and the Wisdom of the Way… Steer your way through the pain that is far more real than you… He died to make men holy / Let us die to make things cheap”  :omg: String Reprise/Treaty is nice too, and you definitely nailed the theme. 8.5

Puppies: Type O Negative – “Hail and Farewell to Britain”
Another one who chose the theme, only to send the least memorable song.

In hindsight, my first impression was pretty harsh. This song is actually really solid. The doomy mood is well developed and consistent, the riffs complement that mood really well, and his vocals do the job surprisingly well. I say surprisingly because I’m honestly not sure how much I like his singing style (though to be fair, the final section changes it up nicely). However, they do match the song. Lastly, I think the song does a nice job of keeping things interesting for the entire 9 minutes, which is more than I can say for the Dresden Dolls. 7

LordCost: The Dillinger Escape Plan – “Dissociation”
Not at all what I was expecting, based on previous experiences with this band

I can’t remember which songs I heard previously, but this is a completely different animal. Is this how the whole album sounds? I like it. It’s got an eerie, vast, empty feeling to it, and he’s actually singing now? It’s surprisingly emotional, and really fitting for the theme, especially this line: “Don’t confuse being set free / with being discarded and lonely.” Consider my interests piqued. 7

Ruba: The Dresden Dolls – “Sing”
The repetitive demand sounds nice at first, but it quickly wears me out.

This one starts out pleasant enough, albeit similar to a generic brand of coffeehouse indie folk music. Unfortunately it loses me the longer it goes on, as it leaves the café and turns into some kind of marching anthem(?) The song’s repetitiousness, an exhausting blunt force instrument, is just too much for me to enjoy, especially combined with the singer’s husky, demanding voice. It’s a voice that reminds me of one of my favorite artists, Emilie Autumn, when she’s near her breaking point, but she doesn’t typically camp out at that point, and I wish this song hadn’t either. 4

Standings

(Italicized contestants are those who still have the option to send two songs in one of the following three rounds, and only have the better song scored)

Group A

Sacul 8.5
Stadler 8
Lethean 8
Cyril 5

Group B

Tomislav 8
FlyingBIZKIT 8
jingle.boy 6.5
TAC 4.5

Group C

Ariich 6
Kattelox 5.5
Nekov 5.5
Romdrums 4.5

Group D

Evermind 8.5
Puppies 7
LordCost 7
Ruba 4

It would be great if we could have Round 5 Themes PM'd to me within the next 24 hours, so that we can get the submissions rolling in. I already have one theme, but I'd rather post them all at once. As a reminder, it's jingle.boy's, kattelox's, and Ruba's turn to pick the themes. Aim high and play dirty!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Seneca v3 The Peoples Roulette, R4 Results
« Reply #816 on: July 17, 2019, 02:58:53 PM »
Heck yeah :metardica:
I probably should've used my two-song thing this round since I had a very different song for the theme you probably would've liked more but I wanted to send black metal

Anyways we've both meh'd each other's black metal now so I'm not repeating that experiment

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #817 on: July 17, 2019, 02:59:47 PM »
Heck yeah :metardica:

I thought you might say that.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #818 on: July 17, 2019, 03:01:07 PM »
What was the other song Dacul sent anyways

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #819 on: July 17, 2019, 03:03:22 PM »
Called it.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: July 17, 2019, 03:06:36 PM »
Well, middle of the road is not bad given we were all so close. As to your question, earlier Solstafir is heavier and later Solstafir is more dreamy.

Eagerly awaiting Katts choice
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #821 on: July 17, 2019, 03:08:00 PM »
What was the other song Dacul sent anyways

He sent Amon Amarth's "Embrace the Endless Ocean"

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #822 on: July 17, 2019, 03:09:36 PM »
Ah well, I've topped the group but would have come 4th in every other group. :lol Shame the theme didn't work for you so well, but glad my song did still resonate reasonably well - exactly what I find with Alkinoos's music as despite being half-Cypriot, I don't speak Greek. I do tend to find out what the songs are about as well, which helps a little.

Still it worked out ok for me, which is more than can be said for Cyril, even though I only scored 1 point higher than him.

EDIT: Bring it on Katt, power metal right? :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #823 on: July 17, 2019, 03:12:44 PM »
No power metal, because seneca no likey the cheese, and despite the story the results tell, I'm actually trying to do well! Surprised Luna finished 2nd in the group even though it didn't really click.

I've been brainstorming themes and will let you know soon, as in this evening... seneca, should I tell my group members or tell you first? EDIT: Nevermind, I see it. Will let you know in a few hours.

I honestly don't know how I'm going to come up with a good theme considering I think that Solefald album is, er... not so good, but a song from it scored very well. I guarantee I'm gonna come last in whatever theme I pick  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #824 on: July 17, 2019, 03:13:55 PM »
Seneca you didn't say who is picking the theme for our group yet..........

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #825 on: July 17, 2019, 03:17:37 PM »
Ah well, I've topped the group but would have come 4th in every other group. :lol 

Um..that's not exactly true, dick. :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #826 on: July 17, 2019, 03:19:06 PM »
 :-\

In all seriousness though, you should go see her live.  I saw her live at Sweetwater a few years back and it was an amazing performance.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #827 on: July 17, 2019, 03:21:04 PM »
Ah well, I've topped the group but would have come 4th in every other group. :lol 

Wut?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #828 on: July 17, 2019, 03:21:42 PM »
No power metal, because seneca no likey the cheese, and despite the story the results tell, I'm actually trying to do well!

It really depends man, it really depends. One of my earliest introductions to metal was one of the cheesiest bands of them all, Dream Evil, and I still love some of their stuff (admittedly, nostalgia may play a part), and I love Gloryhammer, so... if the cheese doesn't take itself too seriously...

Seneca you didn't say who is picking the theme for our group yet..........

That's cause Stadler already chose something :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #829 on: July 17, 2019, 03:23:43 PM »

Wut?

You wouldn't have come in last in my group. You trying to make me feel worse? :lol :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #830 on: July 17, 2019, 03:24:54 PM »
He said fourth, not last  :loser:

Also heck yeah stadler's theme, I'm expecting something I have absolutely no good picks for

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #831 on: July 17, 2019, 03:25:15 PM »
No power metal, because seneca no likey the cheese, and despite the story the results tell, I'm actually trying to do well!

It really depends man, it really depends. One of my earliest introductions to metal was one of the cheesiest bands of them all, Dream Evil, and I still love some of their stuff (admittedly, nostalgia may play a part), and I love Gloryhammer, so... if the cheese doesn't take itself too seriously...

Gloryhammer invokes a deep, fiery rage within my soul so I think our power metal tastes are not exactly aligned.  :lol You're getting something far different from me.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #832 on: July 17, 2019, 03:27:35 PM »

Wut?

You wouldn't have come in last in my group. You trying to make me feel worse? :lol :lol
He said fourth, not last  :loser:
Exactly. I'd have come exactly 4th out of 5.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #833 on: July 17, 2019, 03:28:36 PM »
 :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #834 on: July 17, 2019, 03:30:28 PM »

Gloryhammer invokes a deep, fiery rage within my soul so I think our power metal tastes are not exactly aligned.  :lol You're getting something far different from me.

Hmm... why's that?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #835 on: July 17, 2019, 03:34:50 PM »
No power metal, because seneca no likey the cheese, and despite the story the results tell, I'm actually trying to do well! Surprised Luna finished 2nd in the group even though it didn't really click.

But doesn't that make this the perfect time to choose a power metal theme?  Everyone in your group will be in the same boat, so you just have to send the one that scores the best.  You could make it... "power metal without gimmicks" to ensure that the likes of Alestorm and Gloryhammer aren't included. :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #836 on: July 17, 2019, 03:38:58 PM »

Lethean: Solefald – “Raudedauden”
Black metal riding a horse

Aggressive and punchy, but also with some lovely, melancholic clean interruptions sprinkled in. Again, I feel like this one contrasts well against Einkehr. It has a lot more going on, despite being only half the length, but it’s also consistently fun and engaging. The production is kind of polished by black metal standards, which I appreciate. Definitely going to check this album out. And guess what! You would’ve won the non-English group with this song, too! 8

:metal :metal  Can I have an extra point. :) 

I'll be very curious to hear your thoughts on the whole album.  It's really off the wall but I think after a few listens (has the potential to) really grow on you.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: July 17, 2019, 03:40:42 PM »

Hmm... why's that?

How much time you got? You opened a can of worms.  :lol

Honestly, just in short... I don't like that they take the piss out of power metal. Some people find bands like Rhapsody corny and Gloryhammer not corny, but I think it's the opposite; Luca Turilli has a genuine passion for the music he wrote and the music he writes now, and it came from a place of genuine love for fantasy and symphonics and neoclassical music. Gloryhammer, especially knowing Christopher Bowes and the way he writes music and views power metal, has zero sincerity to it imo, and as corny as themes like Dargor the Shadowlord and Tharos the Dragon are from Rhapsody.... I find the 'kingdom of Fife' and 'unicorn invasion of Dundee' to be ridiculous and taking the piss out of a style of music I love and think is better when there is sincerity and passion put into it, not making a mockery of the style.

But, to each their own! Not gonna judge someone for liking something I don't, I just really don't like Gloryhammer. Twilight Force's Heroes of Mighty Magic? Fantastic. That's good cheesy power metal with heart. Gloryhammer's good for a fun live show at least.

@Lethean... I could do that to make my choosing easier, but it's a gamble I'm not willing to take considering how my last submission went over.

EDIT: SENT! Picked a great theme in my opinion, I hope others find it neither too restricting nor too open. Go nuts, my friends.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 03:48:49 PM by Kattelox »

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #838 on: July 17, 2019, 03:42:00 PM »
Wow I didn't expect 8/10, I'll take it :D
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #839 on: July 17, 2019, 04:57:58 PM »
I respect what youre saying about Gloryhammer and others, i guess i just never thought it as pure mockery. My thinking is that they wouldnt do what they do if they werent incredibly passionate about power metal themselves, even if they do spoof it.

But I hear where you're coming from too. I wasnt amused when I heard John Lennons parody of Bob Dylan  :lol