Author Topic: What pissed you off today?  (Read 132112 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: What pissed you off today?
« Reply #2555 on: January 02, 2024, 08:58:47 AM »
I think we’ve landed on a monetary compensation and not replacing the actual vinyls. My son is placing a lot of the ‘value’ on the experience of finding the records and so he’s leaning towards recouping $$$ and simply re-buying the damaged one’s himself

So, will probably use discogs to justify/verify the value of what was damaged.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2556 on: January 02, 2024, 09:04:48 AM »
I think we’ve landed on a monetary compensation and not replacing the actual vinyls. My son is placing a lot of the ‘value’ on the experience of finding the records and so he’s leaning towards recouping $$$ and simply re-buying the damaged one’s himself

This seems the wisest course of action, IMO. He can keep his memories of the earlier collection and build on them when replacing the damaged records. The memories and the collecting experiences are the real value, the records are just "things". Hopefully, in time, the party of 2023 will just be part of the his fondness for the collection.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2557 on: January 02, 2024, 09:15:20 AM »
That is the best place to get the value of your music collection, it can get really granular with the releases too.

Cool....thanks.  :tup  Will definitely share that with him.

Second that site; I won't name names - I'll let them do it! - but I'm on there, and there are at least two other people here that go on there regularly. I have an account and I've both bought and sold on there.  I've got my entire collection catalogued, and it gives you updated prices - low, medium, high - for everything in real time.

Assuming that I am at least one of the people you are talking about. I am a heavy Discogs user. I think I corrected Stads on an entry one time before I knew it was Stads.  :biggrin:

You are and you did (rightfully, I might add).  :) :) :) :) :). Funny enough, I just got a question about one of my entries from a guy who used to live here in CT and who used to post at the Genesis forum years ago with me.  He got a divorce, moved west, and we lost touch.  It was nice to reconnect.

I love that site; I spend a lot of time there adding and subtracting things.  It's relaxing and fun (and depressing, knowing how much I spent on the wall of CDs downstairs!!!!). 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2558 on: January 02, 2024, 09:40:45 AM »
Yeah, it's insane to see what my collection has been sold for based on various prices. They have me valued at just below $18,000 on the low end and just over $68,000 on the high end. I recently went down a rabbit hole to see what the most expensive things in my library are and was just flabbergasted at what some of this stuff has sold at.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2559 on: January 02, 2024, 09:44:07 AM »
Yeah, it's insane to see what my collection has been sold for based on various prices. They have me valued at just below $18,000 on the low end and just over $68,000 on the high end. I recently went down a rabbit hole to see what the most expensive things in my library are and was just flabbergasted at what some of this stuff has sold at.

My dad has started giving me his old Vinyl.  I have a box already, and it's all like disco stuff.  I found a couple I thought might be worthy of keeping, but most seem like garbage to me, but I could be wrong.  I might have to make use of this and see if anything has value.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2560 on: January 02, 2024, 11:18:55 AM »

I'm in the same range, and I did the same thing too; I have two Grateful Dead Dave's Picks that claim to have been sold for nearly a grand.  Insane, to me.

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #2561 on: January 02, 2024, 11:54:37 AM »
So last night we have our usual handful of couples and their kids over for New Years.....and I once again begrudgingly went along with it all. I'm just 'over' the whole get together for New Years thing....would rather just not do anything cuz I'm well into the 'get off my lawn' stage of being older and would just prefer to not do any of the song and dance. Anyway, the first couple that we know really well showed up around 7:15ish along with their son (16) and a buddy (16). We start talking to the couple and the two kiddos saunter off to wait for my two older sons to get home from work. Which they did around 7:30.

Fast Forward....it's the end of the night....everyone's gone and we're cleaning up and my wife and middle son come to me and say we need to tell you something but wanted to wait until everyone was gone. The proceed to tell me this:

When the first two kids arrived they thought it'd be a funny 'prank' on my middle son to rearrange all the stuff in his room. They started doing that, moving this and that around and at one point this one kid thought he would pick up the double stacked vinly record shelf filled with records that was on my sons dresser....but when he did....the entire thing broke and fell apart and his records fell out everywhere. Then, he and the other kid just haphazardly flung/tossed them onto his bed and left it at that.

My middle son REALLY got into vinyls about two or three years ago. His music tastes are so broad and so diverse....it's really something for a 16 year old. So, he collects, gets gifted...seeks out all these albums and it's a major point of pride for him. One of which is this original print of a Beatles album (I'll have to check which one it is) that my Dad gave to him a while back. That jacket, along with about twenty others was ripped, a bunch were knicked up and torn.....he's found a few records already with chips in it and apparently.....I didn't know this.....even when the records are in the sleeves and protected they can be rubbed or hit the wrong way and the grooves can be damaged.

So, they tell me this at like 12:45am and I freaking get heated >:(  I asked my wife to contact his parents to let them know what was going on and she was hesitant saying we could do it tomorrow. I wanted them and the kid to know immediately so I texted them and gave them a run down of the situation....and ended it with my expectation is that every damaged record will be replaced. They agreed and just asked to be told what is damaged.

The issue is now outside of the obvious physical damage to the jackets and some of the records.....he now has to listen to 40-50 of these vinyls to see if there is any skipping or scratching. Gonna take a bit.

Anyway....I am still ticked off because my son was extremely upset....he's put a lot of time and effort AND $$$ into that collection and it was just abused and not respected. It's a very, very, VERY good thing my wife knew not to make me aware of that while everyone was here because I would have not held back on my opinion and feelings about what transpired.

It's just another reason why I just don't like having large groups of people over. I'm good with a couple or two....or in the summer when everyone can hang on our patio....but, I'm just past the house full of folks. Maybe I'm an old party pooper but I'm just not a fan of it anymore.

/rant
How did two random kids get in your middle son's room?
"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2562 on: January 02, 2024, 12:02:21 PM »
So last night we have our usual handful of couples and their kids over for New Years.....and I once again begrudgingly went along with it all. I'm just 'over' the whole get together for New Years thing....would rather just not do anything cuz I'm well into the 'get off my lawn' stage of being older and would just prefer to not do any of the song and dance. Anyway, the first couple that we know really well showed up around 7:15ish along with their son (16) and a buddy (16). We start talking to the couple and the two kiddos saunter off to wait for my two older sons to get home from work. Which they did around 7:30.

Fast Forward....it's the end of the night....everyone's gone and we're cleaning up and my wife and middle son come to me and say we need to tell you something but wanted to wait until everyone was gone. The proceed to tell me this:

When the first two kids arrived they thought it'd be a funny 'prank' on my middle son to rearrange all the stuff in his room. They started doing that, moving this and that around and at one point this one kid thought he would pick up the double stacked vinly record shelf filled with records that was on my sons dresser....but when he did....the entire thing broke and fell apart and his records fell out everywhere. Then, he and the other kid just haphazardly flung/tossed them onto his bed and left it at that.

My middle son REALLY got into vinyls about two or three years ago. His music tastes are so broad and so diverse....it's really something for a 16 year old. So, he collects, gets gifted...seeks out all these albums and it's a major point of pride for him. One of which is this original print of a Beatles album (I'll have to check which one it is) that my Dad gave to him a while back. That jacket, along with about twenty others was ripped, a bunch were knicked up and torn.....he's found a few records already with chips in it and apparently.....I didn't know this.....even when the records are in the sleeves and protected they can be rubbed or hit the wrong way and the grooves can be damaged.

So, they tell me this at like 12:45am and I freaking get heated >:(  I asked my wife to contact his parents to let them know what was going on and she was hesitant saying we could do it tomorrow. I wanted them and the kid to know immediately so I texted them and gave them a run down of the situation....and ended it with my expectation is that every damaged record will be replaced. They agreed and just asked to be told what is damaged.

The issue is now outside of the obvious physical damage to the jackets and some of the records.....he now has to listen to 40-50 of these vinyls to see if there is any skipping or scratching. Gonna take a bit.

Anyway....I am still ticked off because my son was extremely upset....he's put a lot of time and effort AND $$$ into that collection and it was just abused and not respected. It's a very, very, VERY good thing my wife knew not to make me aware of that while everyone was here because I would have not held back on my opinion and feelings about what transpired.

It's just another reason why I just don't like having large groups of people over. I'm good with a couple or two....or in the summer when everyone can hang on our patio....but, I'm just past the house full of folks. Maybe I'm an old party pooper but I'm just not a fan of it anymore.

/rant

Um, did you read the first paragraph?  :huh:

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #2563 on: January 02, 2024, 12:10:49 PM »

/rant

Um, did you read the first paragraph?  :huh:
I read. Maybe its different for me but a room is a VERY private place especially for a teenage boy. I would have never thought I could go into someone else's room without an adult or older sibling telling me I could. And honestly I would never want some kid in my room while I was not there, rooting through my stuff and causing mischief. Even if they were my friend. I just don't get how it could happen.

I agree with beheading, both the two never-do-wells, and also whoever told them they could come to my room without me.

"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #2564 on: January 02, 2024, 12:15:21 PM »
i don't agree with beheading (tho lol'd at the bluntness of the comment), but i definitely agree there seems to be more going on here. it's teen code that rooms are sacred and you don't just go into someone else's. i would have never done that in a million years when i was 15
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2565 on: January 02, 2024, 12:34:41 PM »
i don't agree with beheading (tho lol'd at the bluntness of the comment), but i definitely agree there seems to be more going on here. it's teen code that rooms are sacred and you don't just go into someone else's. i would have never done that in a million years when i was 15

This, times 10,000.

You know, something else:  my 15 year old is always on about "prank this" and "prank that".   I don't know if it's Ashton Kutcher, or TikTok or what, but it seems like "pranks" are now the language, but it's a dicey proposition.  I don't quite get this fascination with "pranks", myself, but it's only good when it's in good fun and the target is more or less in on it (meaning, they'd be down with the consequences).  Clearly that's not the case here.  I hope to hell that those kids didn't film any of that, and now it's on the inter webs at your son's expense.  That's just being cruel now.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2566 on: January 02, 2024, 12:39:58 PM »

This, times 10,000.

When I was 16, I wouldn't have been caught dead attending a NYE party with my parents. In fact, on NYE when I was 16, me and my buddies spent the night drinking and slept in some old man's deserted barn. I remember going to this shady motel accross the street, and we found this black dude sitting outside one of the rooms with no shoes on. We gave him a couple of joints and he agreed to buy us two cases of beer (we gave him the money and a 6pk worth) and we were good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #2567 on: January 02, 2024, 12:45:40 PM »
i remember being like 13-14 and being dragged along to Super Bowl parties at houses of friends of my parents and the kids always hung out in common areas like basements/dens/etc and never in private rooms of kids, even when said kid who's room it was was in attendance
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2568 on: January 02, 2024, 12:46:44 PM »

This, times 10,000.

You know, something else:  my 15 year old is always on about "prank this" and "prank that".   I don't know if it's Ashton Kutcher, or TikTok or what, but it seems like "pranks" are now the language, but it's a dicey proposition.  I don't quite get this fascination with "pranks", myself, but it's only good when it's in good fun and the target is more or less in on it (meaning, they'd be down with the consequences).  Clearly that's not the case here.  I hope to hell that those kids didn't film any of that, and now it's on the inter webs at your son's expense.  That's just being cruel now.

Yeah it's the "invisible audience" we always heard about 10x.
Everything is a great moment for the gram (or the tok, or whatever) until it's not.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2569 on: January 02, 2024, 01:28:29 PM »
I'm happy to see the decapitation option is still on the table here.  :tup
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2570 on: January 02, 2024, 01:39:02 PM »

This, times 10,000.

The problem here is that the initial prank went wrong.  Although I do think the prank of reorganizing someones bedroom needs to be seriously thought out including knowing the pranked person comfortably to do such a thing. But putting it on the internet might be a great idea if it's legit funny and shows the accident of it all going wrong (assuming everyone is OK with it).  Showing someone actually hurt (physically or emotionally) from the prank would be very wrong though, especially a child. My point is merely, I dont think social media (based on what has been shared) has anything to do with why this happened.  Pranks were done long before social media.  I can think of pranks from high school that didn't go so well.  It happens because we are young and dumb, often not thinking beyond the LOL moment. (like did anyone think re-arranging furniture would lead to breaking something?  Maybe not a teenager, but I think I would at my current age). 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2571 on: January 02, 2024, 01:52:01 PM »
Back in my day, a good prank involved getting one buddy to do blindfolded situps, and then another buddy moons him sticking his bare ass right at the top of the situp.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2572 on: January 02, 2024, 01:53:26 PM »
Back in my day, a good prank involved getting one buddy to do blindfolded situps, and then another buddy moons him sticking his bare ass right at the top of the situp.

Sounds like something you'd do even today.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2573 on: January 02, 2024, 01:54:28 PM »

Let's get together for you to do some situps and see!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2574 on: January 02, 2024, 01:55:22 PM »

Let's get together for you to do some situps and see!

Exactly.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2575 on: January 02, 2024, 01:56:33 PM »
I like situps.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2576 on: January 02, 2024, 01:56:58 PM »

Take note progpower folks, do not put on the blindfold in Atlanta

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2577 on: January 02, 2024, 01:59:49 PM »
At no time in my life would it have ever been considered a good anything to have my bare ass anywhere near another male.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2578 on: January 02, 2024, 02:00:22 PM »
When I was 16, I wouldn't have been caught dead attending a NYE party with my parents. In fact, on NYE when I was 16, me and my buddies spent the night drinking and slept in some old man's deserted barn. I remember going to this shady motel accross the street, and we found this black dude sitting outside one of the rooms with no shoes on. We gave him a couple of joints and he agreed to buy us two cases of beer (we gave him the money and a 6pk worth) and we were good.

i remember being like 13-14 and being dragged along to Super Bowl parties at houses of friends of my parents and the kids always hung out in common areas like basements/dens/etc and never in private rooms of kids, even when said kid who's room it was was in attendance

My mom and stepfather went to great parties. I and the other kids always had a blast. Even at 16 I'd have a much better time at one of their parties than I would with my friends. Nice houses. Great food. Tons of liquor, and occasionally drugs. Extended family, so everybody knew each other.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2579 on: January 02, 2024, 02:01:05 PM »
At no time in my life would it have ever been considered a good anything to have my bare ass anywhere near another male.

I might rather have my vinyl collection ruined  :lol

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2580 on: January 02, 2024, 02:59:10 PM »
That is the best place to get the value of your music collection, it can get really granular with the releases too.

Cool....thanks.  :tup  Will definitely share that with him.

Second that site; I won't name names - I'll let them do it! - but I'm on there, and there are at least two other people here that go on there regularly. I have an account and I've both bought and sold on there.  I've got my entire collection catalogued, and it gives you updated prices - low, medium, high - for everything in real time.

Assuming that I am at least one of the people you are talking about. I am a heavy Discogs user. I think I corrected Stads on an entry one time before I knew it was Stads.  :biggrin:

You are and you did (rightfully, I might add).  :) :) :) :) :). Funny enough, I just got a question about one of my entries from a guy who used to live here in CT and who used to post at the Genesis forum years ago with me.  He got a divorce, moved west, and we lost touch.  It was nice to reconnect.

I love that site; I spend a lot of time there adding and subtracting things.  It's relaxing and fun (and depressing, knowing how much I spent on the wall of CDs downstairs!!!!). 

You can add me to that list, I love getting a new record and adding it to my collection on discogs. Occasionally I'll get DT folks reaching out for some records I have.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2581 on: January 03, 2024, 09:06:07 AM »
The kids are getting off light with financial restitution.  I would have beat wholesale ass if something like that had happened to me and my stuff in my room.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2582 on: January 03, 2024, 10:09:00 AM »
The kids are getting off light with financial restitution.  I would have beat wholesale ass if something like that had happened to me and my stuff in my room.

This is the reason my wife and son waited until everyone left to tell me. I was HOT!!!

And, based off of discogs and their cost/price their site associated with the damaged vinyl's....that dollar amount came out to $368 for the 11 vinyl's that had obvious damage to the covers and vinyl's themselves. We've sent that info over to Jordin and his dad so we will see how this all shakes out.

He's still listening through all of them to see if there are skips or anything that we just can't see right off the bat.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2583 on: January 03, 2024, 10:14:09 AM »

This is the reason my wife and son waited until everyone left to tell me. I was HOT!!!

And, based off of discogs and their cost/price their site associated with the damaged vinyl's....that dollar amount came out to $368 for the 11 vinyl's that had obvious damage to the covers and vinyl's themselves. We've sent that info over to Jordin and his dad so we will see how this all shakes out.

He's still listening through all of them to see if there are skips or anything that we just can't see right off the bat.

Sounds like you have some billable hours too

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2584 on: January 03, 2024, 10:19:38 AM »

:lol   No kidding!

He started to feel bad yesterday that he was going to send them the info and that it was almost $400. He was wanting to just not ask Jordin for the money to replace them all since they're good friends. I stepped in and told him absolutely not....that he'd spent his own $$$ on those records and that he deserved to be compensated for the damages. Friend or not, Jordin has to have some consequences for this. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2585 on: January 03, 2024, 10:21:18 AM »
+ Punitive Damages!!

Offline emtee

« Reply #2586 on: January 03, 2024, 11:14:40 AM »
If a company is so big, with multiple divisions, and it takes more than 3 prompts to get where you need to to, please hire a few people to answer the damn phone. Also, my business is obviously NOT important to you, as your recorded message states. If it were, I would not be on hold for 13 minutes with 30 second looped messages driving me insane.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2587 on: January 03, 2024, 11:16:23 AM »
If a company is so big, with multiple divisions, and it takes more than 3 prompts to get where you need to to, please hire a few people to answer the damn phone. Also, my business is obviously NOT important to you, as your recorded message states. If it were, I would not be on hold for 13 minutes with 30 second looped messages driving me insane.

Back in 2007 when I first bought all my big studio gear, I had a problem with one of the programs. Called tech support and was on hold for I think 30 minutes to an hour. Doesn't sound so bad? Well if you didn't push a certain button every minute or so, they'd disconnect you.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2588 on: January 03, 2024, 03:34:43 PM »

I would think this is not unreasonable.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2589 on: January 03, 2024, 03:38:56 PM »
British Airways managed to lose my luggage on a single segment flight. Impressive in some ways. Annoying in most others.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman