Author Topic: Your controversial opinions/thoughts on music  (Read 29127 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Your controversial opinions/thoughts on music
« Reply #385 on: May 19, 2019, 06:45:02 PM »
Ooh, I've got a new one: most metal covers of pop and "mainstream" rock songs are usually terrible. I think it's because the original choice of chords, lyrics, and melodies convey a sense of brightness and joy and that doesn't really work well when you slap super distorted guitars, fast drumming, and screamed/growled vocals underneath it. I don't think I've heard a metal cover of a pop song that I would say unquestionably improved on the original. Very few are even on par with the original.

I tend to agree with this although there have been a COUPLE that I really like. There's a power metal cover of Katy Perry's I Kissed A Girl that's actually kickass. My local friends know me as a metalhead and also know that Africa by Toto is my favorite song ever, but I get tagged way too often in "Metal cover of Africa by Toto!!!" videos and I have yet to see a good one.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #386 on: May 19, 2019, 06:46:05 PM »
The only band I've enjoyed their covers have been Disturbed.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #387 on: May 19, 2019, 06:50:21 PM »
Ooh, I've got a new one: most metal covers of pop and "mainstream" rock songs are usually terrible. I think it's because the original choice of chords, lyrics, and melodies convey a sense of brightness and joy and that doesn't really work well when you slap super distorted guitars, fast drumming, and screamed/growled vocals underneath it. I don't think I've heard a metal cover of a pop song that I would say unquestionably improved on the original. Very few are even on par with the original.

I tend to agree with this although there have been a COUPLE that I really like. There's a power metal cover of Katy Perry's I Kissed A Girl that's actually kickass. My local friends know me as a metalhead and also know that Africa by Toto is my favorite song ever, but I get tagged way too often in "Metal cover of Africa by Toto!!!" videos and I have yet to see a good one.

It's funny you mention that, because Metal versions of Africa are exactly what I had in mind when writing that haha.

The only band I've enjoyed their covers have been Disturbed.

Disturbed's cover of Sound of Silence is really good because they actually did something new and different with it and gave a different tone to the same song. A Perfect Circle's cover of John Lennon's Imagine is another one of the few metal covers of pop songs that I think is actually incredible. It COMPLETELY changes the meaning of the song and still works with what's there.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #388 on: May 19, 2019, 06:53:38 PM »

I agree with this 99.9%.  The one exception is, I like Disturbed's "Sounds Of Silence".   I'm not a Disturbed fan - at ALL - but I like that.   I don't care for the song much, but Geoff Tate's version of "Scarborough Fair" is a vocal tour de force, but I don't like the song. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 07:27:06 PM by Stadler »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #389 on: May 19, 2019, 06:56:37 PM »
I've never heard the Disturbed song, but generally these always blow.

Does Quiet Riot's Cum On Feel The Noise count?

And at the risk of being a total geek, Chris Daughtry's version of Walk The Line on American Idol was incredible.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: May 19, 2019, 08:36:35 PM »
That Disturbed cover annoys the shit out of me personally, which I think might be controversial because of how popular it is. Talk about being way too dramatic. "Less is more" doesn't just apply to the quantity of notes played.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #391 on: May 19, 2019, 08:42:39 PM »
I've never heard the Disturbed song, but generally these always blow.

Does Quiet Riot's Cum On Feel The Noise count?

And at the risk of being a total geek, Chris Daughtry's version of Walk The Line on American Idol was incredible.

It's all right.  I like Daughtry and he sang Shinedown's I Dare You (my favorite Shinedown song from them) during American Idol, so that's a plus for him in my books as well.

As for the Disturbed covers, I enjoy Land of Confusion.  Must be the "WHOA"s that gets me.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #392 on: May 20, 2019, 01:05:15 AM »
I think that the trick with doing pop songs in metal style is to not overblow it, and just add some more punch and heaviness without destroying the mood of the song.

Halestorm's cover of Bad Romance is a masterpiece for me, and on YouTube there are selected covers of songs who manage to insert some heaviness in the songs without making them a parody. But I agree that some other covers just come out terrible.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #393 on: May 20, 2019, 07:52:36 AM »
As a Maiden fan I really don't find The Trooper to be that great or something special, it's just a decent tune to me, nothing more than that. I just don't get why it became one of the most popular Maiden songs.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #394 on: May 20, 2019, 08:10:02 AM »
Because it's anthemic, has a chorus that isn't even a chorus but can be sang along to anyway, and it has all the trademarks of Iron Maiden. It's one of their quintessential songs.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: May 20, 2019, 09:35:25 AM »
Anyone familiar with these two covers? Ghostbusters by Xentrix and Eleanor Rigby by Realm. I always think if you're going to cover a tune, do your interpretation of it. For me, both of these covers work very well.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #396 on: May 20, 2019, 10:17:42 AM »

I don't know about "most," but you make a good point about why many such songs don't work.

I've heard a couple covers of Toto's "Africa" that I think are great.

Also, last week, a guy at work was talking about Chris DeBurgh's "Don't Pay the Ferryman" and asking if I liked it.  I've probably only heard it a couple of times in the last 30 years, but the song was all over MTV when I was a teenager and spent hours a day watching MTV.  I said that it was a good song and suggested it might make a good metal song, so we went to YouTube and listened to a half dozen (or so) metal covers.  About half were really good and the other half not so much.  The half that weren't good tended to overdo the distorted guitar and had Cookie Monster vocals -- i.e., no subtlety at all.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:37:51 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #397 on: May 20, 2019, 12:01:49 PM »
It's okay to take influence from another band's style if you're actively improving the sound because that's how genre development works

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #398 on: May 27, 2019, 09:10:44 PM »
Todd LaTorre is a better drummer than Scott Rockenfield.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: May 27, 2019, 09:19:05 PM »
Um.  No.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #400 on: May 27, 2019, 09:20:31 PM »

That's like saying Tom Petty is a better singer than Bob Dylan. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #401 on: May 27, 2019, 09:31:00 PM »
Anyone is a better singer than Bob Dylan.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #402 on: May 27, 2019, 09:31:55 PM »

I read this post as Tom Brady! :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #403 on: May 27, 2019, 09:49:34 PM »
Anyone is a better singer than Bob Dylan.
AMEN!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #404 on: May 27, 2019, 10:26:01 PM »
That Disturbed cover annoys the shit out of me personally, which I think might be controversial because of how popular it is. Talk about being way too dramatic. "Less is more" doesn't just apply to the quantity of notes played.
this is the correct opinion

I think that the trick with doing pop songs in metal style is to not overblow it, and just add some more punch and heaviness without destroying the mood of the song.

Halestorm's cover of Bad Romance is a masterpiece for me, and on YouTube there are selected covers of songs who manage to insert some heaviness in the songs without making them a parody. But I agree that some other covers just come out terrible.
Axxis' cover of My Heart Will Go On does this similarly. I mean it's kind of a joke and it's funny as all hell but it's also the epitome of late 20th-century power ballads. (It probably doesn't hurt that, being born in 1998, I don't remember the song's original massive overplayment.) Or this guy's cover of a track from Donkey Kong Country.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #405 on: May 28, 2019, 10:08:57 AM »
this is the correct opinion

Axxis' cover of My Heart Will Go On does this similarly. I mean it's kind of a joke and it's funny as all hell but it's also the epitome of late 20th-century power ballads. (It probably doesn't hurt that, being born in 1998, I don't remember the song's original massive overplayment.) Or this guy's cover of a track from Donkey Kong Country.

That Donkey Kong Country cover is great. Reminds me of something that would be great on OC Remix, a site dedicated to covers/remixes of video game music. Some great covers that do just what he said.

I'll add Within Temptations cover of Skyfall. They made it sound like a WT song, mainly like their song Jane Doe.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: May 28, 2019, 10:19:56 AM »
Controversial: Tool is bad, Maynard isn't special, the rest of the band is talented but the music is ultra boring

Somewhere in the distance, Puppies_On_Acid just screamed in a rage.  :biggrin: :hug:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: May 28, 2019, 10:21:48 AM »
That Donkey Kong Country cover is great. Reminds me of something that would be great on OC Remix, a site dedicated to covers/remixes of video game music. Some great covers that do just what he said.

Dang I forgot about that site, I used to visit that site all the time many years ago.

I'll add Within Temptations cover of Skyfall.

Wait, this exists?! Must check out now.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #408 on: May 28, 2019, 10:30:34 AM »

Dang I forgot about that site, I used to visit that site all the time many years ago.

I'll add Within Temptations cover of Skyfall.

Wait, this exists?! Must check out now.

OC Remix still exists and is still producing remixes. They comprise most of my music storage.

Sadly, I can't find a way to get that cover of Skyfall.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: May 28, 2019, 10:32:56 AM »
Hey Ben... do you know the Tears of Contention remix for the game Chrono Trigger? That piece, and Green Amnesia (also a remix from Chrono Trigger), are my two favorite pieces on that site. I've had Tears of Contention as a phone ringtone for almost 10 years.  :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #410 on: May 28, 2019, 10:36:17 AM »
Hey Ben... do you know the Tears of Contention remix for the game Chrono Trigger? That piece, and Green Amnesia (also a remix from Chrono Trigger), are my two favorite pieces on that site. I've had Tears of Contention as a phone ringtone for almost 10 years.  :metal

I'm sure I do. I'll have to look it up and hear it again.

Edit: Just looked it up, and instantly remembered it from the opening piano notes. That is one of my favorites as well. Thanks for that, as I am also trying to find those old ones I liked that were lost in my old laptop crash.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 10:42:07 AM by Ben_Jamin »

Offline romdrums

« Reply #411 on: May 28, 2019, 10:42:59 AM »
Maynard isn't special

I'll second that.  I think he plays his audience for suckers and they lap it up.  He could have been a highly successful televangelist.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #412 on: May 28, 2019, 11:22:26 AM »

My overweight cat at 5:00 a.m. is a better singer than Bob Dylan.

I read this post as Tom Brady! :lol

Tom Brady is also a better singer than Bob Dylan, as are/were Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks, Thomas Edison, Thomas Jefferson and Tommy Lee Jones.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: May 28, 2019, 11:32:13 AM »
Controversial: Tool is bad, Maynard isn't special, the rest of the band is talented but the music is ultra boring

Somewhere in the distance, Puppies_On_Acid just screamed in a rage.  :biggrin: :hug:

I don't think Maynard is anything special at all.  He kind of is uninteresting live from the footage I've seen.  Their music isn't that boring though, some is.  I do think Tool is overhyped at this point, but they were pretty deserving 20 years ago.  Kind of amazed they were able to keep such a big fan base.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #414 on: May 28, 2019, 11:33:25 AM »
Maynard's lost a lot of range and power, but at his peak he was a force of nature.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: May 28, 2019, 01:09:09 PM »
Maynard isn't special

I'll second that.  I think he plays his audience for suckers and they lap it up.  He could have been a highly successful televangelist.

I agree with him playing up to his fans. If you listen to his interviews on Joe Rogan he comes off as just a regular (albeit rich and famous) dude who likes making wine.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: May 28, 2019, 01:43:23 PM »
I am not the same person as I was in my 20's and I'll bet that goes for most people including Rock Stars.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #417 on: May 28, 2019, 02:29:18 PM »

He's flashier to say the least but better? Probably not.

E: After reading up a little on Todd, I actually think you might be onto something. Of course, TLT was never a full-time drummer but he has been playing drums for longer than I've been alive. While I hold a great respect for ScottRock, I still can't really name one favourite performance by him. He's been doing reliable job in the background but could he be replaced? Probably yes.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 02:39:44 PM by Ruba »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #418 on: May 28, 2019, 03:56:53 PM »
I think Tool's one of the prog bands that has aged the most gracefully for me. The vocals aren't cheesy and over-the-top, the lyrics are quite decent and in some cases really good and musically I think their style of prog holds up well for me as well. For a band with only 1 drummer 1 bassist 1 guitarist I feel Tool gets a lot of mileage out of a simple setup. The drums are really groovy and stand out, the bass is actually audible compared to many other bands and really stands as the center piece that holds some of their songs together, and when it comes to the guitar you get a lot of variety too. Vicarious for me has one of the best metal riffs and a song like Jambi has some really amazing experimental guitar stuff in it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: May 28, 2019, 03:59:00 PM »
The band can breath with only one of each instrument.