Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 192927 times)

Offline fadetoblackdude7

Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #945 on: February 27, 2019, 09:35:31 AM »
I a cd guy to my grave. Idk, I just like the old school way of popping the album into the player and having the physical copy in front of you with the artwork and lyrics and everything.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #946 on: February 27, 2019, 10:04:54 AM »
I a cd guy to my grave. Idk, I just like the old school way of popping the album into the player and having the physical copy in front of you with the artwork and lyrics and everything.
Absolutely!   :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline V_R11

« Reply #947 on: February 27, 2019, 10:10:32 AM »

I only get physical copies of DT and Steven Wilson, because those are my two absolute favorites
Seasons change and so can I

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #948 on: February 27, 2019, 10:19:28 AM »

I have ditched my CD because we in the Third World are discriminated against in the aspect. LOL

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #949 on: February 27, 2019, 10:33:20 AM »
so, today will be my first time I listen to the album (I was organizing a listening party with my friends, that's why I'm late)

Do you guys recommend us to listen the album in order, or should we listen the songs from shortest to longest (because I guess that's how the complexity of the songs grows)?
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #950 on: February 27, 2019, 10:34:10 AM »
I would go in album order.  I think the album flows pretty nicely.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline thunderdog10

« Reply #951 on: February 27, 2019, 10:38:52 AM »
does anyone know when amazon (US) is supposed to be shipping out the box set?

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #952 on: February 27, 2019, 10:51:59 AM »

At Bosk's End

:omg:

Offline cygnusx1jg

« Reply #953 on: February 27, 2019, 11:00:03 AM »

As someone whose first owned recorded music was on an 8-track (look it up on Google, youngsters), I never would have thought that a CD would be considered old school. Oh, well.
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #954 on: February 27, 2019, 11:01:19 AM »
I would go in album order.  I think the album flows pretty nicely.

Yeah I agree, when I first got the album, I was skipping the first three tracks because I already knew them. The last 2 days, I've been listening to it in running order, start to finish, and everything flows very nicely.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #955 on: February 27, 2019, 11:05:07 AM »
After buying The Astonishing in CD format and never opening it, I figured this time around I'd just go digital.

People just don't have the time for CDs anymore, and no one seems to care.

The time or the space?  Essentially all of my CDs are in a couple CD storage towers that are very very dusty in my basement.  I just have no desire to add to this pile anymore. 

Offline lifesonrules65

« Reply #956 on: February 27, 2019, 11:10:10 AM »
does anyone know when amazon (US) is supposed to be shipping out the box set?

I am wondering the same thing.  I sure hope we don't get screwed and they never actually get them.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #957 on: February 27, 2019, 11:46:06 AM »
Boskstool
Ewww!
Barstool Bosk sounds better.  I really doubt he's a heavy drinker though.
Sorry, I was referencing the "stool" part like in feces.  Just doing my part to contribute meaningful content to the discussion.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #958 on: February 27, 2019, 11:47:16 AM »
Regarding Room 137 - I'm really digging the King's X (by way of Beatles) sections.  Anyone else make the connection to the bridge in "These Shoes" from the album Dogman?  Great song.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #959 on: February 27, 2019, 12:14:13 PM »
I have listened to the new album enough that I can confidently say it's really good. I usually overrate albums a bit when they first come out, and then my opinion comes back down to earth after the next record, but this album might be a bit different because it simply is what it is: A collection of concise, solid Dream Theater songs with terrific production. And that's an awesome thing.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #960 on: February 27, 2019, 01:44:37 PM »
I have listened to the new album enough that I can confidently say it's really good. I usually overrate albums a bit when they first come out, and then my opinion comes back down to earth after the next record, but this album might be a bit different because it simply is what it is: A collection of concise, solid Dream Theater songs with terrific production. And that's an awesome thing.

Yup.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline emtee

« Reply #961 on: February 27, 2019, 01:49:37 PM »
The low notes/chords on this album are so menacing and heavy.

The album has created a rebirth of my fandom. I spin it twice a day and
it continues to grow stronger. Could possibly be in the top tier along with
the run from I&W to SDoiT...which I thought would never be possible.

A total ass kicker of an album!I love it!

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #962 on: February 27, 2019, 01:54:01 PM »

Seconded every word.

Offline V_R11

« Reply #963 on: February 27, 2019, 01:56:16 PM »
Btw, the beginning of Barstool Warrior sounds familiar...could it be the beginning of The Best of Times I'm thinking of?
Seasons change and so can I

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #964 on: February 27, 2019, 01:57:43 PM »

Seconded every word.

Thirded, but I still loved DT as I found TA a great album. With D/T, I think they managed to recapture some of their past magic while incorporating the good in modern DT and things they had never done before. A great achievement ranking number 4 for me (I never thought it would dislodge ToT from 4th place but it has).

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #965 on: February 27, 2019, 02:07:23 PM »

Seconded every word.

Thirded, but I still loved DT as I found TA a great album. With D/T, I think they managed to recapture some of their past magic while incorporating the good in modern DT and things they had never done before. A great achievement ranking number 4 for me (I never thought it would dislodge ToT from 4th place but it has).

B.Lee

Oh absolutely - I am actually among those who loved The Astonishing as well (it's just my cup of tea of an album) and am in fact much happier with post-Portnoy releases compared to 2003-2009 run of albums (or 2005-2009, since I have complicated feelings for ToT  ;D ).

So when I say that D/T rekindled my fandom it doesn't mean that I was away and now they got me back. But while TA was a solid hit for me, this album did something to me that no DT albums have done in quite a while. Listening to it for the first time brought a surge of adrenaline and a feeling of adventure (that TA had too, but in a different way) in that I did not know what was coming next and was always caught by surprise by the changes in songs, their sheer energy and vitality. They got the right balance of heavy and proggy stuff this time that made the album so special for me, topping it off with a top-notch sound.

Right now, I too rank D/T as my number 4.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #966 on: February 27, 2019, 02:08:52 PM »
Picked up my copy last Friday, but due to work and glorious Wisconsin weather, hadn’t had a chance to listen until today.

First impression? It’s okay.

I heard the three songs released prior to the album coming out and none of them really wowed me and I guess I can say the same about the rest of the album.  Sure there were moments that caught my ear, especially S2N, but not one song stood out above the others.

And I don’t know what has been discussed in this thread because I’m way behind in reading it, but I thought the lyrics were very subpar and kind of corny at points.

I’ll spin it again tomorrow and see what happens.  Whatever I get out of it I know this album will be leaps and bounds more enjoyable than “The Astonishing”.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #967 on: February 27, 2019, 02:20:13 PM »
Btw, the beginning of Barstool Warrior sounds familiar...could it be the beginning of The Best of Times I'm thinking of?

I had the same feeling and couldnt figure out what it reminded me of. I think it might be the intro for "A life left behind" from TA, Maybe?
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #968 on: February 27, 2019, 02:33:29 PM »
Boskstool
Ewww!
Barstool Bosk sounds better.  I really doubt he's a heavy drinker though.
Sorry, I was referencing the "stool" part like in feces.  Just doing my part to contribute meaningful content to the discussion.
  :rollin
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bill1971

« Reply #969 on: February 27, 2019, 03:18:19 PM »
From https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/compact_discs/dream_theater/distance_over_time/47799/

There are some real jaw dropping moments and performances that Mangini has on this album that really elevates the band to areas that I don't believe they could have reached from a technical point of view with Portnoy behind the kit.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 03:30:21 PM by bill1971 »

Offline bill1971

« Reply #970 on: February 27, 2019, 03:22:40 PM »
First DT CD I haven't bought a physical copy of. All I wind up doing is ripping it and putting it on my phone anyhow so this is quicker and cheaper. :) Plus I got it 9pm the date before it was released because I'm in California.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #971 on: February 27, 2019, 03:31:42 PM »
The album's mastering is pretty hot and therefore a bit tiring after a few tracks, but hell yes am I enjoying DT having punishing production again. The album's riffs smack like a bulldozer, and it's not a bad look for DT. JP's on point, in his solos giving off quite a few callbacks to classic 90's era DT. Some ToT vibes in the instrumental sections, love the JP soloing over just pure JR piano and airtight bass from JMX. And JLB: While quite a few vocal touch ups can be noticed, and the effects are possibly applied a tad more than absolutely neccesary (it really detracts from the experience IMO), his personality definitely shines through, with a performance he can be very proud of.

At Wit's End is my favorite track to return to it seems, mostly in part of the dramatic opening part with the chugging JP arpeggio and JR's mournful piano chords. That shit instantly transports me back to ToT, tonally reminiscent of In The Name of God. The 'Something's missing' section later on is just spine-chilling to hear from DT after an album I did not gave a damn about. The way that the groove of that section came in after the piano & vocals section feels so great every time I'm hearing it. What a masterpiece of a track from DT at this stage in their careers.

Paralyzed I liked from the start and it's still not winding down. Instantly accessible melodies with an amazing groove to it and a premium guitar solo from JP. Dude, I'm not worthy.

Not a bad track on the album, even. I'll always miss Mike Portnoy on the drums, but this is the first DT album with Mike Mangini that I can honestly say I love. The musicality and TONE finally seem to match.

One final thing: Pale Blue Dot is a missed chance at being the 'Octavarium' of the album - hell, the ending JP solo definitely hints at that vibe - but it had to be freakin' longer.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 03:40:58 PM by PixelDream »
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #972 on: February 27, 2019, 05:26:36 PM »
Yay my Box set is finally shipping from Century Media.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline lifesonrules65

« Reply #973 on: February 27, 2019, 05:54:17 PM »

I hope Amazon ships them out soon.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #974 on: February 27, 2019, 07:16:50 PM »

I hope Amazon ships them out soon.

My guess is that Amazon is slated to receive stock around the 15th of March which is why they don't have a date ready for shipping yet.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #975 on: February 27, 2019, 07:44:49 PM »
Just listened to the album for the first time.

I like it a lot, but I feel like a lot of the choruses kind of sound too similar to each other.  Still gotta listen to it more times to let it sink in.  I'll probably give it another listen tonight on my headphones.  I only listened to it through my speakers.

Also is it just me or does Viper King sound like a combination of something that off WDADU and the band Motley Crue? lol

Offline deslock

« Reply #976 on: February 27, 2019, 09:09:03 PM »
Been listening to it on Amazon Prime until my artbook edition comes in, so my initial impressions are based on streamed tracks.

This album is fantastic. At Wit's End, S2n, Fall into the Light, and Pale Blue Dot are all standout tracks. Untethered Angel and Room 137 are also excellent. Paralyzed and Viper King are strong too.

I like Barstool Warrior, though not as much as other fans seem to. Out of Reach is the only throwaway track so far: it has some great moments, but the cheesy vocals render it unlistenable (someone needs to tell LaBrie to stop singing ballads). Looking forward to the instrumental versions.

Too soon to say with certainty how much replay-value Distance Over Time has, but I'm more excited about it than I was for the last couple albums. More energy and jamming, less cringe-inducing vocals and lyrics. We'll see how it holds up over time.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #977 on: February 27, 2019, 09:24:32 PM »
I love the vocals on Out of Reach!   Thats the Labrie we have been missing!   The cheesier the better with Labrie IMO.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #978 on: February 28, 2019, 01:26:26 AM »
(someone needs to tell LaBrie to stop singing ballads).

Wow. I think ballads are his strong side.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #979 on: February 28, 2019, 02:25:33 AM »
(someone needs to tell LaBrie to stop singing ballads).

Wow. I think ballads are his strong side.