Author Topic: Your concerts for 2019  (Read 30689 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your concerts for 2019
« Reply #350 on: August 27, 2019, 12:35:06 PM »
The Knotfest Roadshow in Scranton PA was so much fun last weekend.  I love experiencing new venues and this is one, Pavilion at Montage Mountain, was similar to my home base PNC Bank Arts Center and also the Xfinity Theatre in Hartford where I saw Iron Maiden this summer.  However, for a packed show (all the seats were pretty much sold, but lawn was huge and had tickets available) it seemed the one road up/down the mountain was not able to handle the traffic so easily, I missed almost all of Behemoth's set because of this.  Now granted, I slept late and got to town and did the Coal Mine Tour later than I expected, but still, definitely didn't prepare for the 30 minute extra ride there.  Well I caught the last song and they had all sorts of smoke and fire, I'm not into their music, but that song is pretty cool (I saw them last year open for Slayer) and was performed with much more flare this time around.  Onto my seat where I have to kick someone out, and next thing I know the girl next to me goes "were you next to me at the Disrupt Festival?"  :rollin yup, I remember her very well.  Funny to meet people at concerts in a different state.  We start talking and the guy who's with her just leaves lol had a nice conversation, she's really cute, if it weren't for the guy I think I would have asked for her number.  We talked a bunch at Disrupt a few monthes earlier too and I thought she was cool then, but also didn't ask because she was meeting a dude there too (he only came down to our seats for a breif bit though).  Anyway, I think the guy was annoyed, came back and said they were sitting somewhere else.

Gojira came on next, and honestly was glad to just make it in time for their full set.  I thought that could be in jeopardy for awhile.  They were AWESOME.  So heavy, maybe too heavy in terms of loudness to clearly hear the singer, but the guitars and drums are just so heavy in this band.  The drummer is amazing too.  Sucks they don't get a longer set, I think it was just 40 minutes, but they looked/sounded/performed amazingly.  Sadly, they are not a band to see from a seat.  Out in the lawn I went for the last couple songs and was pleased to see a mosh pit and at the end of their set, a little kid crowd surfing with everyone chearing. 

Volbeat was next, a huge change of pace.  I was curious how the crowd would take it. They are new to me, I had listened to their set on youtube for a bit last week leading up to the show. Found I enjoyed some of their music and some I felt wasn't my thing.  Live, they sounded great.  I think I enjoyed them a bit more.  A few songs really come to mind that I enjoyed, The Everlasting for example.  Definitely had a good amount of people there for them, no animosity or anything between fans that I could see.  Pretty tame show overall from the fans, everyone having a good time as the sunset over the mountains in PA and it got dark as their set came to an end. 

Time for Slipknot.  They were LOUD.  People complain about DT being loud, go see Slipknot to compare.  I was hoping my camera would pick up them up better than my ears did (it didn't) but a lot of the insturments sound so muddy together.  I mean, it was pretty solid performance overall.  It's just when you have all the drums, keyboards, guitars, and Corey screaming all at high decibals, it's lacking that clarity that I do enjoy from time to time.  I think this is part of their music and live show though, I wouldn't compare this to seeing DT do their instrumental elegance.  I thought they were great on stage overall.  Lots of moving around, the keyboardest had the treadmill in front of him which reminded me of Rammstein.  The light show on their stage was really cool plus about half way through the set there started being lots of pyro.  Their stage show was definitely awesome. 

Given the hell getting in, I was a bit worried about getting out.  The first time in a long time, I left a concert early.  Missed the last 4 songs and I got back to the hotel easily.  Kind of question if that was the right call, but I had a really good time that night and I'll be seeing the show again in my backyard Friday night  :metal

Knotfest Roadshow Montage Mountain PA

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #351 on: August 27, 2019, 01:36:06 PM »
Slipknot doesn't have a keyboard player. Maybe your talking about Sid the DJ. Or their sample guy haha.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #352 on: August 27, 2019, 01:56:11 PM »
Slipknot doesn't have a keyboard player. Maybe your talking about Sid the DJ. Or their sample guy haha.

Yea that guy, same thing in my mind.  Knew it wasn't keys but he makes the sounds (and you can't see what he's using).  Don't know any of their names, nor do I care about the whole masks thing personally. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #353 on: August 27, 2019, 04:04:52 PM »

Yea that guy, same thing in my mind.  Knew it wasn't keys but he makes the sounds (and you can't see what he's using).  Don't know any of their names, nor do I care about the whole masks thing personally.

Yeah me and my cousin always have made fun of him being there just to headbang and trigger samples. At least sid does DJ stuff.

Slipknot was a fun show. Glad you enjoyed it. I mainly went for Gojira. Didn't care for Volbeat, although they weren't bad.

Tonight is The Aristocrats w/ Travis Larson Band at Launchpad which is perfect as I love that venue. Mainly due to the intimacy of the place.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #354 on: August 30, 2019, 06:58:33 PM »
Back to back shows this weekend.  Both in LA.  I mapped out the areas that I want to park in (one of them may be an LA Fitness Gym parking lot) and hope I can spend less than $40.00 total on parking for these shows.  Let the fun times keep rolling.

Papa Roach with Asking Alexandria and Bad Wolves opening - Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, CA - August 31st, 2019
Skillet and Sevendust with Pop Evil and Devour the Day opening - Wiltern Theater, Los Angeles, CA - September 1st, 2019.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: August 31, 2019, 05:07:21 PM »
Man what an awesome long fun ass concert on a beautiful day in NJ as summer comes to an end.  Maybe my favorite show at this venue this summer and having seen it last week too, I kind of didn't expect it to be better, but it was.  For one, I had almost the same seat as last week but it was much better view at this venue just because of the shape/set up.  However, this venue doesn't have the pit up close for this type of music (it's been discussed here before).  I think that kills the vibe a bit, especially for the openers.  Behemoth had very little people in the seats up close.  Everyone was sitting in our section too, which is pretty lame for this type of music.  My friend is like 6'6" and didn't want to be standing and blocking the group behind us, but Negral helped us out by asking everyone to stand and so we did, and everyone did for pretty much the remainder of the night.

Anyway, not much more to say about the show itself that I didn't say before.  Behemoth isn't my thing, but I saw their full set and they really do bring it for an opener.  Gojira is so damn powerful, so good.  Maybe my favorite opener performance of the summer.  Volbeat is fun, I really do enjoy their music and clearly they are the oddball of this show, but I really enjoyed them this time around.  Surprised my friend did as well.  They brought up even more kids this time around, in fact the girl near the singer on stage is Jerry Only's daughter. 

I know that because after Volbeats set, the two of them came to their seats to watch the show, which was very close to me.  I'm doing a double take to my friend, "is that Jerry? or just someone dressed like him?" since you know, why would he show up in his concert attire, but it was definitely him.  I told him I saw them at Prudential last year and he asked "were we good?" and I had to lie and say yes, when in fact I think they were the worst band I had seen in the last few years  :rollin anyway, after I got a selfie with him, there was a huge line of people walking to his seat to meet him, guy's a true champ of the fans and that's well known. 

I didn't leave early this time (my friend did though) and saw the whole show, damn Slipknot plays a long and non stop set.  My head/neck is a bit sore from headbanging so much last night.  Such a fun show, packed house too.  Not an empty seat by the time Slipknot came on. 

Oh yea, before the show I saw on facebook there was a Slipknot Whiskey signing at my local booze shop.  How convienent, it was a 2 hour wait in the heat, but for $50 I got a bottle of their Iowa Whiskey and it's signed by 3 of the guys, they also signed my ticket stub from last week.  THey took a picture too so hopefully it'll be on their website soo. 

Overall, first day on vacation and it was soo much fun.  Can't recommend seeing this show enough if you have the chance.

Knotfest Roadshow - Slipknot, Volbeat, Gojira, Behemoth Live @ PNC Bank Arts Center NJ

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #356 on: September 01, 2019, 01:47:05 AM »
All right, back from seeing Papa Roach with Asking Alexandria and Bad Wolves at the Hollywood Palladium.  First off, I don't know why I'm always so nervous when visiting a venue I've never been to in LA.  Aside from seeing Tedeschi Trucks band at the Orpheum Theater (where I got ripped off on parking, there was no metal detectors at the entrance, one guy being a dick when being confronted about smoking in the row in front of me, and I almost got into a car accident), most of the shows has been fine from a parking and traveling perspective.  Aside from the traffic, which is always a given in LA, especially on a warm August summer Saturday, I had no issues getting to Hollywood Palladium.  I parked at a garage next to a LA Fitness gym.  Cost me $15 which is fair.  Lower than I thought it would be.  Apparently, some people paid $7.00 for a spot across the venue through Spothero, but I don't know if I can trust that site and I don't want to risk it.

Anywho, doors opened at 6:00, I opted to get a spot on the rail in the back of the venue near the soundboard even though I could have gotten a spot in like the first 5-10 rows of the front.  The reason I didn't go to the front was mainly because I know that there may be some pits and pushing and honestly, I want to conserve my body so that I can make it to the Skillet/Sevendust show on Sunday.  The people near me on the rail was nice.  One guy was from Sacramento whose a huge Papa Roach fan that's been following them since 1999 before they broke through with Infest and another guy is actually going to be at the Skillet/Sevendust show tomorrow as well.

The first opening band was Bad Wolves and I got to say that they were a good incentive for me to pull the trigger on buying the ticket.  I see them as a much better version of Five Finger Death Punch with a frontman that's not as much as a meathead and their lyrics seems to have more genuine substance than FFDP's.  Anywho, a lot of people see them as the heaviest band on the bill and I think they delivered well.  Probably the best opening/supporting act I've seen this year (others include Colony House and Badflower).  The crowd liked them enough.  I think it was like 2/3rds full (capacity is around 4-5000 people) when they came on.  They played for 40 minutes (which is on the higher side as the first opening band in a three-band bill).  Crowd reacted well with the big Active Rock hits (Remember When, Hear Me Now, and their cover of Zombies) and really was energetic with the heavy stuff (like getting some pits going) especially in Officer Down.  Overall, they were really happy to be on this tour and really excited to play a historic venue like Hollywood Palladium, especially since this is a homecoming show for them.  I say they are really making the most of the exposure they are getting on radio and getting on tours like Papa Roach and last year's summer amphitheater tour with FFDP and Breaking Benjamin and I say if they keep this up the momentum, they may end up headlining this venue sooner rather than later.

Next band was Asking Alexandria.  I hear their entire catalog.  I didn't like it for the most part.  They had some songs in their last album that I do like, and they focused on that album in their set, but I honestly didn't care much for it.  A lot of people were there mainly for Asking Alexandria (they did say it has been three years since they played in LA) and people were energetic for them and the band did brought some smoke to liven the production values.  I think there was actually slightly more people for Asking Alexandria than Papa Roach.  If anything, I enjoyed the smartass remarks they made throughout the set than anything musical if that makes sense.

Papa Roach came on and they were solid.  They focused more on songs from Infest (their breakthrough album) and Who Do You Trust (their latest album) and sprinkled in some of their more well known songs (like Scars, Getting Away with Murder, Forever, To Be Loved, etc.) along with a cover of Blur's Song #2, a drum solo, and band jam.  The crowd was still very lively during the set.  People were bouncing when needed.  There was a fair amount of crowdsurfers and pits.  Jacoby Shaddix's voice sounded all right (although I think there were moments where it sounded like he was on helium, though that may be on my hearing or the venue itself rather Jacoby himself.  The big singalongs came during Scars and Last Resort, naturally.  Overall, a good headlining set from a band that I feel like (like Disturbed earlier this year) they have plenty of big songs that people overlook aside from the giant hits to fill a headlining set.

Now for the issues.  First, the sound.  I think the venue sound was loud and somewhat clear enough, but it kinda was mixed where it muted the crowd from where I was standing.  I mean there's no way the crowd wasn't singing along to the cover of Zombies from Bad Wolves, since that's their big hit that really did well on the charts in 2018 and there's no way the crowd wasn't singing along to stuff like Scars, Getting Away with Murder, and Forever.  I think the crowd was singing along when needed, but I didn't hear it in the far back.  The best noticeable singalong crowds for me this year was Shinedown, Switchfoot, and Coheed & Cambria and I don't think this crowd beat that and if they did, I didn't hear it.

Second, Papa Roach's setlist.  I have seen this issue a fair amount of times from various bands this year.  Papa Roach has been releasing albums on a consistent basis for 20 years and they only came up with 80 minutes for their setlist?  Not only that, they didn't even play anything from Metamorphosis or The Connection album (my favorite Papa Roach albums, both co-produced by James Michaels of Sixx: A.M., one of my favorite bands and one of my favorite vocalists that I haven't heard anything from for a while now).  They didn't play Lifeline, Burn, or Still Swinging which I felt were great tracks and you would think they play Hollywood Whore given that they were in Hollywood, but nope.  These issues lowered my enjoyment of the show to a pretty good show, but not that at that level of really great shows or perfect shows that I was seeing this year.  Still $20 ticket and $15.00 parking and I got home in one piece.  I had a great night.

Last show for the weekend is Skillet/Sevendust and I'm hoping that this show can deliver a perfect show experience for me (the Wiltern Theater has done a great job of that this year in two shows I've seen there).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: September 01, 2019, 10:38:34 AM »
Nice, a double concert weekend for me as well, tonight is The Who are Madison Square Garden, pretty must sold out.  This one is more for the fun, I hardly know their music but figured I'd go check them out one time before that's no longer possible.  A friend is going too so we will meet up for drinks before hand.  :corn

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: September 03, 2019, 01:40:44 PM »

Just bought a ticket to see A.C.T again, second time this year...

Seen

2019-02-23 Stockholm Waterfront - Steven Wilson

2019-03-05 Stockholm Nalen - Pineapple Thief and O.R.k

2019-03-31 Stockholm Kraken - Riverside and Lesoir

2019-04-01 Stockholm Skandiascenen - The Neal Morse Band

2019-05-02 Stockholm Fryshuset - Avantasia

2019-06-01 Stockholm Bryggarsalen - A.C.T

2019-06-25 Stockholm Gröna Lund - Gojira

Upcoming
2019-09-15 Tillburg 013 - Ayreon

2019-09-21 Stockholm Fryshuset Klubben - IQ

2019-11-08 Stockholm Slaktkyrkan - Lolita Pop

2019-11-15 Göteborg Musikens Hus - A.C.T and Workshop of the Wolf

2019-12-14 Stockholm Kraken - The Flower Kings and Kayak

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: September 03, 2019, 04:18:14 PM »
I saw my first rock concert with an orchestra last weekend when The Who performed at Madison Square Garden.  For their age, they are still rockin.  I guess the orchestra took away from any sort of light or video show, it was pretty much just the band performing two sets with the orchestra and one shorter one just by themselves in the middle.  I found however that the sound mostly sucked the entire night.  Orchestra was low in the overall mix, could only really hear it well in certain parts.  The vocals were so muddy couldn't understand the words at all.  Oh well, it was a cool experience, the place was practically sold out.  I sat next to an older couple who I ended up having a blast with the entire night, just shootin the shit with them, you can hear them often in my video.  For me, that show was to experience something I'll likely never see, I'm not a big Who fan and I don't see myself becoming one, but it was cool to see this show.

The Who Live @ Madison Square Garden NYC

I'm all packed up, heading to atlanta early tomorrow for ProgPower!  :metal :metal

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #360 on: September 06, 2019, 11:58:45 AM »
My meager list for the year:

9/20 - Sebastian Bach - Brauer House Live, Lombard
9/23 - Roger Clyne (Acoustic) - City Winery Chicago
10/17 - Flying Colors - Arcada Theater, St. Charles
11/3 - Tool - United Center
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #361 on: September 06, 2019, 12:17:56 PM »
Phil Collins - Atlanta, GA 9-28-19  -  The not dead yet tour

I love my wife, so I told her I would go to the concert with her, even though I am not a big fan of Phil Collins
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #362 on: September 06, 2019, 11:29:08 PM »
Well, time to recall my story of seeing Sevendust and Skillet at the Victorious War tour at the Wiltern Theater (fourth show at this venue this year, and all of them have been solid to f'en awesome), last Sunday.  Where do I want to begin?  Well, I knew I wanted the rail in the second section behind the pit (since Live Nation charges you $15.00 extra for pit tickets, $65.00 total) and I figured I want a rail spot and thought, I might as well get there around 1:00PM and if there is no one in line, I'll just walk around the skirts of Koreatown before finding my way to the Wiltern.  Why do I want to go through this length?  Well, next to Alter Bridge and Shinedown and Daughtry, Skillet and Sevendust are the two bands that I have heard their music the longest in life for around almost 10 years.  I heard first Sevendust's Enemy and Skillet's Hero as they were theme songs for WWE PPV events and since then, I was a relative listener for both bands (moreso for Skillet, but I have a great amount of respect for Sevendust being around as long as they have). Anywho, I found a parking lot about 5-10 minutes away from the Wiltern that's $16.00.  Cheaper than the $25.00 if you park next to the venue.  I could have saved $27.00 in parking fees had I knew that last Spring......

So I got in line at 1:00 PM and found that there was 7 other people in line that had the same idea as I did, but I figured all right, no worries.  My phone is fully charged, I can wait it out for 5 hours before doors open.  The people around me were nice as always.  Always talking about the various shows that they have seen over the years from a range of bands.  There's this one guy that has been to a lot of shows overall, and goes to the yearly Shiprocked cruise every year, and that he always goes with a group for concerts and that guy was in line since 11:30AM.  Anyway, at around 4:00 PM, I knew that people that bought the VIP meet-and-greet and early entry was going to arrive, but I had horribly underestimated how many bought those.  I think there was like around 50-70 people,  I thought, "crap, 50-70 people standing in my way to get a rail spot."  I was hoping that most of those got pit tickets because I thought if people spent $100.00 on meet and greet, might as well dish out the extra $15.00 for pit tickets.  Turns out that the guy that was handing the wristbands for the pit tickets told me that around 10 or so people out of that meet and greet line had pit tickets.  I thought all of that waiting for 5 hours was going to be in flames, but oh well, I made it this far, I'm going to make a dash to get a good spot in the second section.  Turns out, I did have a good spot.  In the second row behind the person that got the rail.  Good view and thankfully, the person wasn't too tall that he would block a good portion of my view of the stage.

Once again, the people around me were nice.  There was a couple that's a huge Sevendust fans that stated that they went to three shows in the SouthWest area around the late 90s for them, but haven't gone to a show in a long while since they were taking care of their kid, but thought now's the chance to see Sevendust again and the kid's grandmother to babysit for them to see Sevendust.  Also, the music the house speakers playing was solid.  You got your standard plays of songs you would normally hear on modern rock radio, but out of the blue, I get to hear Alter Bridge's One Day Remains (that's not even one of their most well known songs) and Big Wreck's Mistake (I don't think anyone in the room, other than me, knew that Big Wreck playing on the house speakers).  Also, a great thing of a strong kinship among all of us is that when Linkin Park's Numb or In the End is playing on the speakers in the post-Chester Bennington passing, everyone just stopped talking and sing along to the song.  It happened at the Disturbed show, it happened at the Shinedown show, it happened here.

Anywho, on to the bands.  The first band of the night was Devour the Day.  They only got 20 minutes and what they played was ok, but honestly, them being there for as short as they were on stage in the grand scheme of things is a bit pointless.

The second band was Pop Evil and I thought to me they were overplayed on radio at times and the lead singer wearing a Lakers shirt for that cheap pop didn't help a bit.  That stated, they went through their staples of songs that people that listens to rock radio often like Boss's Daughter, Torn to Pieces, Be Legendary, Waking the Lion, etc. and people got into them and I liked their set and people sang along when needed from the frontman.  In their last song, Trenches, they got Don Jamieson from That Metal Show to provide backing vocals and the surprising thing about the closing set was that the vocalist from Pop Evil came to the crowd and decided to not crowdsurf, but opted to actually walk on top of everyone as a path.  In all fairness, people were supportive to keep him afloat and he didn't stop at the pit section, he came near where I was at and was walking on top of everyone there.  He almost took a nasty spill on his back, but people kept him up.  If he did fall, I can see the headlines now on Blabbermouth: "Pop Evil frontman took nasty fall on crowd in Sevendust/Skillet show."  At the end of the set, he wanted to take some pictures with people in the crowd near where I was so everyone was gathering in that area and I was left feeling a bit crushed with little walking room for a few minutes.  Still that sight there of Pop Evil's frontman walking on top of the crowd is probably one of my favorites sights this year.

Sevendust finally came up and started with one of their more well know tracks, Black and everyone expected them to be the heaviest band on the set and I expected Sevendust to want everyone in the crowd to be moving along and getting into it.  They were what I thought they would do.  I felt that the atmosphere in the room was elevated the moment they came on.  They were very heavy and they had great moments of soaring melody playing songs like Denial, Waffle, Trust, etc.  Lajon Witherspoon is a great vocalist and this set solidifies him as in my top five favorite rock vocalists.  One of the songs I was really looking forward to see was Angel's Son.  It may be a short 4 minute or less song but that song packs a huge punch emotionally and Lajon talked about the backstory about creating this song.  They were good friends with this band, Snot, and their frontman, Lynn Strait, passed away due to a car accident and they stated that this was the first time they really felt this kind of personal tragedy and when it's time for them to do a song for the tribute album to Lynn Strait, Lajon claimed that he didn't have any lyrics prepared for Angel's Son beforehand.  He just heard the guitar playing of Clint Lowery and the lyrics just came to him and created for me, probably the best Sevendust song I have heard.  Anyway, their set lasted for an hour and then they closed it off with Thank You.

Skillet was the closing band and they came a blazing with great production with steam and and a great video screen with solid visuals.  They went for around 70 minutes.  Primarily favoring playing the songs from their two most recent albums, Unleashed and Victorious, along with their usual staples (Monster, Whispers in the Dark, Hero, and Awake and Alive).  They had the crowd in the palm of their hands and had some great singalongs in almost every song.  One of my favorite moments of the set was during the song, You Ain't Ready, where John Cooper had some custom-made fire extinguishers or coolers or something like that strapped to his arms and he was spraying them to the crowd and on a warm summer's day in LA, that was greatly appreciated.  Another solid arrangement was during Awake and Alive, a song where John Cooper and drummer Jen Ledger would trade verses.  However, in this live version, they had the first verse played in string arrangements while trading lines (they would have a cello player, and I think in the past they had a violinist as well, play this live, but John said that their cello player was at home getting ready for a newborn baby) before going into the heavy band version and then both guitarists Korey Cooper and Seth Morrison was on rising platforms playing the song.  The show closed off with The Resistance, which I thought would be a great closer since it has a great outro which did close off the Unleashed album.  It also gives a great platform for lead guitarist, Seth Morrison to show off what he can do and his guitar playing actually reminds me of Alter Bridge's Mark Tremonti which isn't surprising since he's also an Alter Bridge fan from the near start. 

Overall, I really enjoyed Skillet's set the most.  The crowd was great.  The band played great.  Production values were as great as it can be in a small theater.  I personally wished they played more from the Comatose album (especially the song, Rebirthing, which used to be their closer, but they didn't play it here which makes me sad since that's one of my favorite songs from them) and the Rise album.  Even though, I didn't enjoy the Unleashed or Victorious albums as much as Collide, Comatose, Awake, and Rise albums, the songs still came off well live.  I enjoyed hearing the title track Victorious (John Cooper stated that he wrote that song for people to find a way to deal with the struggles that people have mentally, especially in light of the post-Chester Bennington passing) and Save Me.  The one issue I had was that they could have not have Devour the Day on the bill and instead give Pop Evil another song slot and Sevendust/Skillet another song slot or two.  Other than that, this is a great night altogether and for the fourth show I was in at the Wiltern Theater, these shows I was at in this place (Within Temptation, DT, Switchfoot, this show) have been tremendous.

Now then the next shows awaits and probably the greatest week of my life will happen in about a week or so.

Iron Maiden with Fozzy and The Raven Age opening - Banc of California Stadium, Los Angeles, CA - September 14th, 2019
Alter Bridge's Walk the Sky Album VIP Listening Party with a brief live set - The Beacham - Orlando, FL - September 17th, 2019
Alter Bridge with 10 Years and Dirty Honey opening - The Ritz - Raleigh, NC - September 19th, 2019

Also, I decided to go to the Self-Help festival.  I saw a ticket on Stubhub for $60.00 and thought, this is probably going to be as good as a price that I'm going to get for an outdoors festivals.  I saved $15.00 than if I bought it on their site.  Line-up looks good enough for me.  Never been to an outdoors festival before.

Starset - The Regent Theater - Los Angeles, CA. October 2, 2019
Self Help Fest with A Day to Remember headlining featuring I Prevail, Beartooth, Motionless In White, Animal as Leaders, Periphery, and more - October 12th - NOS Events Center - San Bernardino, CA
Switchfoot - Fox Performing Arts Center - Riverside, CA.  November 5th, 2019.

I still may consider going to see Big Wreck, but I need to know what shape I am still in after the Self Help Fest.  Also, Trans-Siberian Orchestra is doing their annual Christmas tour and coming back to Ontario.  Hopefully, there's a Groupon deal on it like last year and if that's the case, I'm planning on taking my parents and my sister/her husband to the show if they want to go to it and tickets are going to be on me, and  I don't see why they don't want to go.  It's a good Christmas concert with great production values.  Bad news is that the show is on November 30th and I still need a show in December to complete the "at least one concert a month" goal I set this year.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 09:00:33 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #363 on: September 12, 2019, 08:57:59 PM »
I went to see Tesla last night in Morristown, NJ (2 miles and 5 minutes down the road) last night.  What an awesome show!  First off, I will say that their singer, Jeff Keith, can certainly have his "off" nights.  Luckily, last night was not one of them.  He sounded great.  A few songs were tuned down a bit but not enough to detract from the songs.  And, what a happy guy he is.  He was smiles and laughing all night.  They started off the show with a song off of their new album, Shock, which I don't own.  I've heard the album and don't really like the Def Leppard version of Tesla.  Meh song.  They followed it up with awesome versions of "Modern Day Cowboy" and "Heaven's Trail (No Way Out)".  I'll spare everyone a list of every song they played.  But, they included some deeper cuts that haven't been played in a long time ("Call It What You Want", "What You Give" and "Edison's Medicine").  In total, they played 3 songs off the new album.  I definitely could've done without them.  But, it IS the album they're promoting.  And, 3 out of 15 or 16 isn't too much new.  The only thing that kinda bummed me out is that they have to finish their show with a cover, "Signs".  I get it.  Aside from "Love Song", it's probably their most popular song.  But, they should get to close it out with a bangin' song of their own.

All in all, it was a super fun night with some great music.  If you've ever been a fan of the band and they're coming to a venue near you, I'd definitely recommend going.  You won't be disappointed.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: September 12, 2019, 09:23:58 PM »
Been pretty busy on vacation but I posted most of my stuff for progpower on that thread, however, the day I got home and the day before I left for Aruba I changed pace and went reggae (I was about to go to the Caribbean).  It was the last show this summer at my local amphitheater that I see so many shows at, and it was very empty and actually sadly chilly outside, but it paid off as being a fun show. 

Shaggy opened which was way more hip hop than I realized, but he played the hits which were fun and he had a band that sounded good.  I think they had the bigger and better crowd too before UB40 hit the stage.  They played a long reggae set, which was actually really cool to see at this venue. I recored the entire encore of their two hit songs (Red Red Wine was played during lunch today  :yarr)

But here's the entire "experience" which I editted that night real quick and so damn tired

UB40 and Shaggy Live Final show at PNC Bank Arts Center this summer

Also, I saw Tesla home in NJ earlier this year, I didn't know they came back around.  But here's Tesla - Call it What You Want Live @ Starland Ballroom 4/20/2019  :hat

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: September 14, 2019, 06:30:01 AM »
Back home from Aruba and time for a back to back concert weekend in NYC.  Tonight we got Kamelot/Sonata Arctica/Battle Beast at Playstation Theater (my favorite NYC venue) and tomorrow is Babymetal/Avatar at Terminal 5.  Looking forward to seeing Avatar again, a band I discovered only 4 months ago when Devin Townsend opened for them and they blew me away.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #366 on: September 14, 2019, 10:28:48 AM »
WOOT.  I've got my tickets for Trans-Siberian Orchestra.  Got them on Groupon for $50.00 a piece.  Same section and (coincidentally) same row as the ticket I got in last year's show.  I'm bringing my family and my sister's husband for this show and the tickets are on me.  I feel like this is something we can all do together ever since all of us moved out of my childhood house to Diamond Bar (my parents and me moved to Garden Grove, my sister and her husband moved to San Dimas to live with her in-laws).  Also, since we have all different preferences of music, I thought this would be a great middle ground since Christmas concerts can be a great medium to bring families together.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Toyota Arena - Ontario, CA.  November 30th, 2019.

I still need a show in December to complete my resolution of going to a concert a month.  Hopefully, something can be announced in a few weeks to get me going.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: September 14, 2019, 10:51:40 AM »
That's pretty cool and a nice treat for your family... I still need something for December as well.  If nothing pops up, I may end up going to see ska band Streetlight Manifesto again

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: September 15, 2019, 04:27:24 PM »
Had another awesome time with the close to a continuation of ProgPower for the Kamelot/Sonata Arctica/Battle Beast show last night in New York City.  Got there early for drinks with my college roommate before we made our way in before Battle Beast started.  I had only just got their new album last week, I wasn't totally impressed with the singles (now I wonder WTF I was thinking) so I put the album on the back burner until the show got closer, but man I really love the first 3 songs (and the album as a whole, but it starts so strong) and they performed all those songs, plus one more from the backend of the album (seems not every show they do that, so we got lucky).  They were so fun and energetic, Noora was wonderful again on stage, her outfit, dancing, singing, overall stage presence is A++ plus just the look of this short girl amongst these tall Viking guys but she is as powerful as any of them with her voice.  Crowd was really into them as well, although the place wasn't nearly full for them.

Sonata Arctica was next, and my friend and I just were not into it.  The new songs just felt boring.  We both were bored after 15 minutes of their set so we sat in the back.  It was pretty cool they opened the seating area up but for GA seating, similar to Progpower where you can sit or stand wherever you want.  I LOVE this venue and it's sad they are closing it.  Sonata only played on song, Full Moon, that I knew and even then, I just felt like it wasn't what I was into. 

Then the main course, Kamelot came on.  My friend wanted to sit and watch so we did for about 1/2 of the set, before I said, lets get in the pit.  And we did, I moshed the rest of the night, there was a small but active pit in the back of the floor.  Lots of rooom to dance and it was so much fun. Kamelot were solid, Tommy sounded amazing, Laura was great, and Noora came out for Sacrimony which was fun.  The setlist was fairly standard and it seems they are rotating one song this leg of the tour, and we got Center of the Universe which is a fantastic song.

I left completely drenched in sweat.  A sign of an awesome show. 

Kamelot, Sonata Arctica, & Battle Beast LIVE at Playstation Theater NYC

and back in the city tonight for my next concert, Babymetal and Avatar.  I'm not sure what to expect from this one.  I was on the edge about seeing Babymetal, I only know a few songs and it's young girls dancing which is just weird, but when they announced Avatar was opening that got me sold since Avatar blew my mind live about 4 months earlier when Devin Townsend opened for them.  I think this will be fun, haven't been to this venue in awhile which is a big GA place, and I'm pretty sure I'm not a huge fan of it so we will see.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #369 on: September 15, 2019, 04:37:54 PM »
Cram, I watched the Battle Beast video earlier today. Holy shit that girl has some..um..lungs! Damn she nailed it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: September 15, 2019, 04:39:18 PM »
Cram, I watched the Battle Beast video earlier today. Holy shit that girl has some..um..lungs! Damn she nailed it.

Noora is soooo awesome live.  Part of me wishes I sat back and recorded better video not only of them but also her singing with Tommy in kamelot.  Oh well, I've seen these bands a few times each so I wanted to get all sweaty instead.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #371 on: September 15, 2019, 06:56:57 PM »
Dude...

Center of The Universe is a fantastic song. Glad they finally busted it out.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: September 16, 2019, 06:14:21 PM »
Man, my body is really hurting after last night, but it was worth it.  What an AWESOME experience all around.  The line was HUGE to get into the venue and I'm glad I got there earlier enough to make it in just before Avatar hit the stage.  Avatar are a new discovery for me since I saw them headline with Devin Townsend opening 4 months ago.  Who knew a band from Sweden would come out of nowhere and make such a big impact on me in such a short time.  I enjoy some Babymetal but I wasn't sold on going to the show until I saw they were going to be the opener.  I really wanted to see them again, and while it was a shorter set being the opener, they really brought the awesome show again.  I think they played one different song from last night, also got to see Johannes pull out the trombone again.  I started watching in the back and eventually pushed my way up when I realized there was a mosh pit.  I got right in.  It was small, but fun.  Made a few friends in the pit as we all went and grabbed drinks and chatted together between bands.  We all then pushed back in when babymetal came on and started a huge mosh pit.  I ended up being dead center up front, and really in the thick of the mosh pit.  I had sooooo much fun there.  There were non stop crowd surfers and a constant surge pushing you in every direction.  It also meant it was impossible to get any solid footage.  All the footage I got is just crazy and shows what it was like to be there, but not necessarily the performance of the band.  Whatever, I had the time of my life during their set.  The three girls dancing, heavy catchy music, rabid fans going wild.  AWESOME concert.

After the show, I didn't have anywhere I needed to be, I hung out near the buses behind the building.  Perfect timing as Avatar came out.  I got to meet all of them and even chat with them.  The singer without make up was really cool to see, he was wearing a Devin Townsend shirt which he showed off to me as I told him how I discovered them (via Devin).  The best part is, after all was said and done, I kind of just lurked around the bus.  Started speaking to a guy who I'm pretty sure was a tour manager (had a walkie, was loading and directing people on loading equipment, organized and watched over the meet and greet) and next thing you know I'm smoking a fatty boom batty with the two guitarist of Avatar.  :hat  We chilled for awhile outside their tour bus just talking about Sweden and tour life.

Well, back to the show though and my body hurting today.  I think I had a slight dislocating of my pinky in the pit last night.  Somehow my finger got stuck on someone or something in the pit and bent my pinky backwards and out (and I wish I was recording a video so you could hear me scream in pain like a kid).  It's still quite painful, but overall will be fine.  It's super swollen and red right on the knuckle and bruised on my palm side.  I'm just happy that's it, oh and my camera is broken  :lol The video isn't the greatest, but it captures the energy:

Babymetal and Avatar LIVE New York City

Also, since I actually got to chill with these guys, the King himself sharing a doobie with me, it kept reminding me of how awesome they were the first time seeing them and this is actually up there as a top 5 concert moment for me earlier this year when they had technical difficulties  :rollin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63C32oLENkg at 3:12 when he says to introduce yourself to each other and you hear from someone in the crowd "I love anal"  :rollin gets me every time
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 06:20:02 PM by cramx3 »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: September 23, 2019, 12:57:08 PM »
Last weekend was my latest concert, it was another continuation of the progpower music with Delain, Amorphis, and Anneke Van Giersbergen at sold out gramercy theatre in New York City.  They actually moved the venue to a smaller one when the original venue needed to be closed for renovation, so the smaller venue sold out fairly easily.  I had bought a VIP balcony ticket for the original venue (Irving Plaza) since I knew from experience that gets you the best view plus cut the line to get in on time for the first band if you don't get there super early.  Well, I wasn't sure how that would translate to the different venue, but it actually worked out well.  I cut the line to get in, which was a pretty big line.  They let the VIPs in early and just chill in the merch area/bar before anyone else was in which worked out well.  Then they had a few rows of seats for people like me who had the balcony tickets and I ended up being right in the first row above the GA standing with an awesome view, even next to the bar as well.  Perfect. 

Show started with Anneke doing an acoustic solo set.  Really fun.  She is so charming.  She was joking and talking to the crowd often, made fun of herself for not being the greatest guitarist, just full of smiles.  Her set was almost all cover songs, starting with Ih-Ah from Devin Townsend, she did Kiss, Ayreon, Pink Floyd, and ended it with Iron Maiden's Wasted Years which was a huge highlight for me.  Her voice is so powerful, she doesn't even need a guitar to be entertaining.

Next was Amorphis.  I'm not terribly into them, I didn't know them going into last week but youtubed their hits and other than Amongst Stars, nothing really stuck with me.  However, they were pretty good live.  I definitely enjoyed their live set more than I did when I was doing my homework.  I'm not going to buy an album now, but it was definitely an enjoyable set.  It also seemed most of the crowd was there for Amorphis.  Everyone I talked to said so, I think I was the only one who mainly wanted to see Delain.  Well, they also did play Amongst Stars with Anneke and that was easily the highlight of the night and it was nice to see Annie jump up and sing to some heavier music, reminded me of her with Devin Townsend.  So awesome.

The place kind of emptied a bit for Delain sadly.  It was sold out, yet you could easily move around on the floor now.  Oh well, they started off with a brand new song which is pretty daring if you ask me to open a show with a song no one has heard before.  It was good, I liked it.  The set was fairly short for a headlining show, last time they headlined it was a much longer set.  I'm not sure why the show started at 8pm either instead of say 7 or 7:30 so they could get a full headline set in.  Maybe because of the drummer sitation as this was the second show with the Amorphis drummer filling in.  Also, first time for me seeing Delain without Merel  :(  After watching from my seat, I saw some friends in the pit and joined them.  My pinky is still swollen and in pain from last week, so I didn't go hard and it wasn't a big pit either, so I just made the best of it jumping around with some buddies I've come to know from going to so many shows together.

Being I'm on vacation, I had no where to be after the show so I hung outside by the busses with a bunch of other people.  I got to meet Otto from Delain, who said he wanted to drink before coming back out so he went into the tour bus and I never saw him again.  A bunch of the Amorphis guys were hanging out, but then Anneke came out.  The best part of the night, got to meet Anneke.   :heart  It's funny too, being a youtuber, I notice other people doing the same thing and I actually met another youtuber who goes to a lot of these shows.  He actually took these pics of me, and I"m glad he snapped a few extras showing that we were actually conversing too!  :yarr

Also, funny since I wore my progpower shirt I ended up having good conversation with the two guys sitting next to me.  Turns out they've been to 17 progpowers  :lol I guess I'll see them again next year.

Delain, Amorphis, Anneke LIVE in New York City

next concert is tonight in Las Vegas for Aerosmith, this is going to be an expensive ticket.

Offline 1upmushroom

« Reply #374 on: September 23, 2019, 08:23:25 PM »
Last in Line, in January. Awesome show, great small(ish) venue. Vivian Campbell is every bit as rad as I thought he would be, and the rest of the band didn't disappoint.

Plini in March - this was the first time I saw him live, and enjoyed it.

Going to see DT again in the end of October, really looking forward to it.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #375 on: September 23, 2019, 08:24:46 PM »
On a different note of my usual concert going experience, I went to the Game of Thrones Live concert experience last night and I'm so glad I went. If you're a fan of the music of the show, the concert is a fantastic opportunity to listen to the orchestra play it live. It's an almost 2 1/2 hour concert and honestly, I had goosebumps the entire time.
The first half of the show is centered around the first six seasons with footage being shown from a character perspective and the music scored to that footage with musical pieces that were scored for that character or used their motifs. I'm really glad they did it this way rather than just play the tracks live from the soundtrack, it kept things super interesting. The orchestra played great, they had a lead violinist, cello player and a vocalist who were all just phenomenal. The percussionists were amazing as well.

They played a few tracks straight through and probably the highlight of the night was hearing the tracks Light of the Seven and the Night King. The arrangement on Night King was changed a little bit and it killed with the added choir parts. There's a track on the soundtrack that wasn't used in the show called Not Today and it's essentially a choir version of the Night King.

They ended up with my favorite two tracks of Season 8, The Last of the Starks and Song of Ice and Fire. They did mess up a bit on the last song with the key change but still overall was an all-out amazing show. I really wish I had seen the previous two concerts.

Each piece was intense as they added a lot of practical effects with pyro, snow, smoke and synchronized lights. It really added to the presentation.

I initially was a little disappointed to learn that Ramin Djawadi himself wasn't there to conduct the orchestra, his substitute was quite good too. Turns out Ramin is only playing a few dates this tour.

I also hope they are able to bring some of the episodes to a theater sometime. I know the last season was divisive but they would sound and look amazing on the big screen.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: September 24, 2019, 08:27:12 PM »
Aerosmith last night was something else, a bit beyond a concert experience in some ways.  I was trying to see if I could get any day of discount tickets, but being Vegas, I wasn't sure how this would all work out.  Livenation's cheapest came out to $180 after fees for GA side of the stage.  I walked to the box office to see if they had anything better or deals, the one discount day of ticket booth didn't have any for sale which was my first stop on the way to the venue.  I then saw a side box office for it on the strip (saving me another 20 minutes of walking probably) and they had tickets for seats, but no sales.  Their cheapest was mid level all the way to the side seat for $190 after fees.  I pulled out my phone after that conversation and bought the side stage GA ticket.  Fuck it, I may not have the best view, but I'll get a cool experience... and wow was it worth it.

These on stage tickets actually came with VIP perks.  For one, a different line to get in.  Cool, also in/out privileges.  I got there early, but ended up coming back out to play some roulette.  The only thing that sucked about any of this experience was the $20 drinks.  Whatever, when in Rome... well once they let us into the stage area, it became apparent how cool this experience was about to be.  There was a bar on stage in the back for one, the keyboards were right next to the railing and there was a good amount of room.  Plus seats behind the GA area on the stage.   Once you got off the stairs and onto the stage a lady handed you an ipod with headphones and a guy was standing there to explain what this was about.  The ipod had just one default app open with two options, band or Steve.  The guy explains, being side stage you don't get the best sound.  So they give you these, THX headphones ($100 value he said) to keep but return the ipod.  You can listen to the band mix, which is the best sound you can get of the live audio feed or you can listen to Steven's in ear sound which was pretty cool.  It was more drum heavy, not much guitars very low, and some of him talking to the sound people.  What a cool thing!   

I was early enough to be right by the rail, not on it though.  A section was closed off for some handicapped kids, which was cool.  It was still going to be a bit before the show started so I started mingling a bit, the booze was flowing from this bar and everyone in the section seemed really nice from talking to them.  I started chatting wtih security about a good spot to stand and this guy just started telling me cool nuggets about the show.  The best part and what made the night so different than any other concert.  He goes "in about 5 minutes this area is going to fill up with 12 strippers.  Steven likes to have wild girls on stage so always brings them for these shows.  He said they film every show and always want to make it look crazy with hot girls.  Well, right on time, all these babes start strolling in  :yarr

The show starts with a 30 minute video at 8pm, couldn't see it from where I was on stage and honestly didn't care and neither did it seem like anyone else.  I left the stage with the girls and their guy escort to hit up the bathroom.  I chatted with the dude outside the bathroom as he waited for all the girls.  Just a fun good time, everyone was so nice.  The girls, this guy, security, the bar tender... shit even Steven Tyler seemed like he was awesome. 

Time for the show, and it was fun, but sadly a bit short.  Only 15 songs for a headliner only band doing a residency?  They were doing 17 or 18 for their last residency here.  I was a bit dissapointed with that, but the 15 songs they played were so much fun.  The girls danced like crazy.  They tried to get me to buy them drinks but noo way with those prices  :lol Whatever, the band got close to the barrier many times.  Steven hugged and kissed people near me.  It was a big party in our section.  One girl kept showing her nipple  :lol

The highlight was the set closer of Love in an Elevator.  I was quite typsy and dancing in my little spot, alomst like a mosh pit but instead of moshing its me a few other dudes and 10 girls just dancing.  I guess one girl could tell I was into it, I hadn't danced or talked to her at all in the night, she was a tall blond, she just pulled me in and started making out with me, tongue and all.  :hat Wow, Love in an Elevator?  How about in the GA side stage pit?  :lol So random, that was all though and that was it, never interacted with that one again. 

I can't wait to get home and review all my video footage from that shit show.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: September 27, 2019, 02:53:11 PM »
Aerosmith Live at The Park Las Vegas Residency from the side stage

:metal :metal

Highlights:

14:20 dancing with the girls  :hat

18:38 stripper staring me down  :lol

21:01 spitting out my jello shot at the venetian  :yarr

must say, that concert was more of a party at a club than what is a typical rock concert, and the video kind of shows that so it's not the best music or performance footage, but it's a good memory of what went down that night.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #378 on: September 27, 2019, 04:35:06 PM »
Got the chance to go see Deafheaven on Sunday so I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for that! Been severely lacking on the gig front this year!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #379 on: September 27, 2019, 05:47:12 PM »
As mentioned in the Delain thread, I got the ticket to their show in two weeks in Anaheim.

Delain & Amorphis with Anneke van Giersbergen - The City National Grove of Anaheim - Anaheim, CA.  October 11th, 2019.

I still got a lot I want to talk about regarding my trip last week, but I'm hammering out the details and typing it in Microsoft Word detail by detail and it's probably going to fill like 6 pages and I want to post that in the Alter Bridge forum I go to before posting the cliff notes here.

Offline mike099

« Reply #380 on: September 28, 2019, 08:28:23 PM »
Phil Collins - Atlanta, GA 9-28-19  -  The not dead yet tour

I love my wife, so I told her I would go to the concert with her, even though I am not a big fan of Phil Collins

Fantastic concert in Duluth Georgia tonite!  A full brass section and 4 great backup singers.  Also, his 18 year old son and his other drummer on the tour were awesome.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #381 on: September 29, 2019, 04:55:33 PM »
Just got back from seeing Deafheaven and Touché Amouré. Both bands were great but Deafheaven really stole the show. I'm not a big fan of the lead singers posturing on stage but other than that Deafheaven were one hell of an experience.

Firstly, I'm REALLY glad they played a set that mostly comprised of their latest album, as I love it. Secondly, I realised they are one of those bands I love, because of the contrast in their music. When they play all out black metal (for an entire song), I start to lose interest. However, when they add in the beautifully melodic, post-rock/shoegaze style passages I just drift away (in a good way). When this is complimented by the black metal assault interspersed then it keeps it interesting. I realised tonight, this is what does it for me, with bands such as Deafheaven. I don't think I could ever love a band that plays just black metal.

My night was topped of by getting the long sleeved t-shirt, I've had my eye on for a while, and seeing John Baizley as I was leaving the venue. I'm kicking myself though as I was wearing my 'Purple Record' Baroness t-shirt and I could've got him to sign it or something!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #382 on: September 30, 2019, 03:04:10 PM »
Well, I've been seeing this show pop up at Groupon from time to time at $50.00 for the worst seats and opted to pass on it.  Now I see it today on Groupon for $30.00 ($27.00 for those that has Groupon Select) and I had to pull the trigger on it.

The Who with Liam Gallagher opening - Hollywood Bowl - Los Angeles, CA.  October 24th, 2019.

Of course, I don't know too much about these guys, other than the fact that they and Liam Gallager are big name value, but a cheat seat for a band that's been around like The Who has been is something I probably can't pass.  Plus, Hollywood Bowl is another well known venue in the LA area that I have never been to that I want to cross off my bingo card of venues in LA to see a show in. 

Also, I'm going to pass on seeing Starset on Wednesday.  Nothing wrong with Starset.  They are a great young band and will have some great spacey visuals, but I'm not in the mood to want to drive to LA on a Wednesday this week.  Plus I hear the parking around the venue can be quite shady and unclean (even more shady and unclean than what one would expect parking in Downtown LA).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 03:10:32 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline mike099

« Reply #383 on: September 30, 2019, 05:28:59 PM »
Just got back from seeing Deafheaven and Touché Amouré. Both bands were great but Deafheaven really stole the show. I'm not a big fan of the lead singers posturing on stage but other than that Deafheaven were one hell of an experience.

Firstly, I'm REALLY glad they played a set that mostly comprised of their latest album, as I love it. Secondly, I realised they are one of those bands I love, because of the contrast in their music. When they play all out black metal (for an entire song), I start to lose interest. However, when they add in the beautifully melodic, post-rock/shoegaze style passages I just drift away (in a good way). When this is complimented by the black metal assault interspersed then it keeps it interesting. I realised tonight, this is what does it for me, with bands such as Deafheaven. I don't think I could ever love a band that plays just black metal.

My night was topped of by getting the long sleeved t-shirt, I've had my eye on for a while, and seeing John Baizley as I was leaving the venue. I'm kicking myself though as I was wearing my 'Purple Record' Baroness t-shirt and I could've got him to sign it or something!

I really like Deafheaven musically and do not mind bands with harsh vocals, but I cannot see the point of lyrics if they cannot hear any of the lyrics.  I looked up a few of the songs and the lyrics are really good. 
I did notice a few of the songs on the latest cd have some clean vocals.  I wonder if the singer on the clean vocals is the same screamer on the harsh vocals.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: September 30, 2019, 05:31:26 PM »
Well, I've been seeing this show pop up at Groupon from time to time at $50.00 for the worst seats and opted to pass on it.  Now I see it today on Groupon for $30.00 ($27.00 for those that has Groupon Select) and I had to pull the trigger on it.

The Who with Liam Gallagher opening - Hollywood Bowl - Los Angeles, CA.  October 24th, 2019.

Of course, I don't know too much about these guys, other than the fact that they and Liam Gallager are big name value, but a cheat seat for a band that's been around like The Who has been is something I probably can't pass.  Plus, Hollywood Bowl is another well known venue in the LA area that I have never been to that I want to cross off my bingo card of venues in LA to see a show in. 

Also, I'm going to pass on seeing Starset on Wednesday.  Nothing wrong with Starset.  They are a great young band and will have some great spacey visuals, but I'm not in the mood to want to drive to LA on a Wednesday this week.  Plus I hear the parking around the venue can be quite shady and unclean (even more shady and unclean than what one would expect parking in Downtown LA).

I saw The Who on a whim as well without being a huge fun.  It's definitely an entertaining show and they have an entire orchestra which makes it really cool and for me, super unique to see that show.  I didn't leave thinking I loved their music anymore though, was never a huge fan, but I did enjoy the show so if you got a deal and into it for the experience, you'll be satisfied.