Author Topic: Your concerts for 2019  (Read 30319 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your concerts for 2019
« Reply #385 on: October 02, 2019, 11:46:32 AM »
I've been on the fence for this one since my flight to Denver is at 730am tomorrow, but I'm kind of leaning towards making this happen and seeing Gwar with Sacred Reich tonight at my local ballroom.  I've seen Gwar twice before but not in a very very long time.  I've never been a huge fan but have a few old albums and always kind of enjoyed the humor and ridiculous of it while still being able to enjoy the poor metal they play.  Either way, it's a show and it's very different type of show.  Kind of want to get some video really and just have fun, as I love concerts. 

I first saw Gwar back in 2000 with Lamb of God opening at the long closed Birch Hill club in central NJ.  I then saw them again in 2004 while in college at Penn State, they played at the long closed Crowbar.  The first time I was in high school and needed a ride home, there was no way I was getting close to the stage to set my parents off as why I was coming home drenched in "blood".  When I saw them in college, I didn't care, got up close and was sprayed all show long.  I have a picture somewhere of me after the show, all blue. Apparently they shot blue liquid over everyone so they didn't leave covered in "blood". 

Well anyway, I'm still on the fence but I definitely want to make this and will probbaly decide once I get home and see how I feel.

And in other cramx3 concert news, I sold my ticket for Incubus at Radio City on Thursday (since I'll be in Denver for work) and to make up for it, I'm very likely now (put in PTO for the monday after) to head to DC in a couple weeks for back to back nights of Incubus.  I didn't want to miss this show because they are doing the entire Make Yourself album and the "and beyond" part of the set is completely different for back to back nights making doing both really worth it, especially if I make the 4 hour drive down to DC.  I'm actually really looking forward to this now  :metal So here is how the rest of my year looks.  I also knocked out seeing DT for a 3rd time, I could change my mind come concert day, but honestly just not feeling the vibe of their live shows right this moment.  I don't want to get yelled at for standing or the ushers annoyed because I pull out my camera.  If they had a cheap back seat available I'd consider it, but I'm not paying the $70 before fees to not enjoy a concert the way I like to enjoy concerts.

October 2nd - Gwar & Sacred Reich @ Starland Ballroom, Sayreville NJ
October 12th - Incubus @ Warner Theatre, Washington DC
October 13th - Incubus @ Warner Theatre, Washington DC
October 19th - Toto @ Count Basie Theatre, Red Bank NJ
October 20th - Battle Beast @ Dingbatz, Clifton NJ
November 2nd - Sabaton and Hammerfall @ Playstation Theater, New York City NY

Depending on my work schedule, there's a few concerts in Denver that may interest me... AJR at Red Rocks, Dropkick Murphys at 1stbank center, or Amon Amarth at the Fillmore.  Going to one of those depends on my work schedule, but I'd check out any of those three if I could make it happen.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #386 on: October 05, 2019, 05:17:11 PM »
And the people-watching will be damn good comedy.

:rollin

There's definitely shows where I go into it with this same mindset

Last Wednesday night I managed to go see Gwar at my local ballroom.  Very entertaining show.  I haven't seen them in 15 years (wow that makes me feel so old) and I knew the singer had died since then and really hadn't followed their music.  So I kind of knew what to expect but also didn't in some ways. 

Venue did not sell well at all.  Kind of expected but this was a really small crowd overall, especially when you consider the amount of effort that goes into this kind of show.  I started the set in my go to location on the side stage near the back door to get onto the stage so I could yell at the band before the went on.  It was pretty funny to see the guys in the hallway in their huge outfits, it looked like they barely could fit single file in that hallway  :lol

Not much interaction before they hit the stage, so I moved to a better spot for a view.  I never got too close in this one, I just didn't want to get shot with blood, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching everyone else get sprayed.  Most of the spraying was coming from one of the two cocks from the singer  :rollin I've got to say, the band sounded really good.  It made me question if they were really playing and going through my video, they still sound really solid.  With all the prepared speeches between songs it did kind of make me wonder if anything I was watching was real.  But I think it was overall and maybe they are just a well oiled machine.  They play metal but nothing technical or difficult to pull off, plus adding in lots of NJ references throughout the night made me feel they were legit, just really solid musically. 

They killed Caitlyn Jenner and Trump as the most notable scenes of the night.  Ripping off the chests and blood and guts everywhere.  It was definitely a site to see.  They used a smoke machine for the effect during the kills too, it worked really well from a visual perspective. 

I only knew a couple of the older songs, so I wasn't too into the set it was more about the entertainment.  I moved back to the side spot as they ended and got fist bumps from all of the band as they came off stage.  I stuck around for a bit at the end to just take pics/video of all the blood on the floor.  I feel bad for whoever has to clean that up and one guy ran back and did a body slide into it all  :lol

The only part that sucked about that night was not getting home until midnight and needing to catch a 730am flight, but I wanted to get my videos up so I stayed up until 2am editing my video.  I was in pretty bad shape the next morning but YOLO

Gwar Live @ Starland Ballroom NJ 2019

I just got back to my hotel from working in Denver today, I'm going to head out in a bit to see AJR at Red Rocks tonight.  Not metal or rock music, more like a pop band in my mind so not terribly excited about the music but looking forward to seeing another concert at the best venue I've ever been to.  I actually saw AJR last year play at the KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas in LA so while not my music, I'm kind of aware of them and know some of their songs now.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #387 on: October 10, 2019, 01:32:06 PM »
Got some time to share my thoughts on the last show I saw, AJR at the Red Rocks.

I must say, I had a really good time at this show that was more of a family pop show than my typical concert.  For one, I absolutely love the venue.  It's got to be my favorite I've been to.  It's just so beautiful but also the people and vibe in this awesome location really add to the experience.  Nothing beats smoking a J leaning on a tree next to the red rocks while watching live music at 7500ft elevation  :hat 

Now AJR really didn't impress me when I saw their 30 minute set at KROQ last year.  They didn't fit the bill that day at all and I remembered only liking one song, Burn the House Down.  This show, while I automatically got the same vibe from the band, but the fans responded and it felt like it lifted the show up a bit.  There were lots of kids at this show, I'm guessing AJR's audience is much younger than what I am used to, but the parents next to me were really cool and chill.  They had wished I showed up earlier as someone lied to them saying they had my seat and then the guy proceeded to puke  :lol All before I gt there so I didn't see it or smell it so it didn't bother me, just funny to hear the story from the dad when I got there.

Anyway, Cold War Kids opened the show, I arrived half way through their set.  I over heard a bunch of people saying they were there for them, not AJR, but I must say, I found them very uninteresting.  I spent the time walking around the venue instead of watching and just enjoying the scenery.

Everyone was standing and dancing for AJR. Their music was sooo catchy.  I found myself singing their songs for days after the show, just stuck in my head and its not music I would typically be attracted to at all.  I love the trumpet player.  Live horns are awesome and this guy was great.  Reminded me of the guy from OAR.  Just looks like he's having a blast tooting his horn.

The band had a really awesome video show that the singer often interacted with, either by walking while it rained in the back, or touching the screen and making pictures with it, or my favorite part when they discussed how they write a song.  They did something similar at KROQ leading into a different song so seeing it again but totally different way of making a song was really cool.  That was the lead in for the song Dont Throw Away My Legos.  I'm glad I caught the whole thing, it's really interesting and cool while being pop, it still comes off musically interesting to see. 

I think their lyrics also hit me.  I didn't know all these songs so I was hearing this stuff for the first time, and felt an emotional attachment right there in the moment.  Maybe it was the legal greens, but I felt like they were hitting me in places I haven't been hit musically in awhile.  They only played for an 75 minutes which kind of sucked.  The show was over at 10pm, I was hoping for a later evening in the venue so I stuck around until everyone left to just enjoy it for as much as possible.  I can't wait to go back there for another show, I just hope one day my schedule aligns to be there for a band I really want to see.

AJR Live @ Sold Out Red Rocks

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #388 on: October 10, 2019, 10:09:26 PM »
Another pair of concerts to go to on back to back days starting tomorrow.

Delain & Amorphis with Anneke van Giersbergen opening - The City National Grove of Anaheim - Anaheim, CA.  October 11th, 2019.
Self Help Fest with A Day to Remember headlining featuring I Prevail, Underoath, Beartooth, Motionless In White, Animal as Leaders, Periphery, and more - October 12th - NOS Events Center - San Bernardino, CA

It's been three weeks since the last show I've been to (which was in Raleigh, NC).  Since then, I was sick.  I wasn't feeling wanting to go to LA on a Wednesday last week, but I feel much fresher now.  I don't know any of these bands' materials as thoroughly as the last five concerts I've been to, but a fun time is still to be have even going really blind and unprepared.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 10:16:47 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #389 on: October 11, 2019, 02:31:35 AM »
Well, being put on the nightshift the last few months shot all my concert plans to hell, including Amorphis et. al., Babymetal, Sabaton, and a few others. Unless something cool pops up, all I got for the remainder of the year is Allegaeon in a headlining slot at a small local club.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: October 11, 2019, 07:04:36 AM »
That sucks RJ, those are some good shows.

Anguyen, that Self Help Fest looks interesting, A Day to Remember blew me away at the Warped Tour (I had never heard them before) with their energy and crazy crowd.  Let me know if the singer gets people to surf the crowd surfers  :lol I think that is so far my #1 concert moment of the year.

I'm also in for b2b nights of Incubus next to Trump's house  :lol like almost literally, the Warner Theater is 2 blocks from the White House.  Some amazing deal opened up (I'm guessing since someone cancelled) for a full weekend stay including parking.  It however is not a walking distance, but the savings plus short uber rides is still way cheaper than one night at one of the closer hotels.  Either way, now I just need tickets (which are available) but I'm pretty excited to see Make Yourself twice plus a bunch of other awesome songs.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #391 on: October 11, 2019, 07:40:24 AM »
Don't Throw Away My Legos

Oh when will you American folks learn - the plural of Lego is Lego. It's "Don't throw away my Lego". I mean, you don't say "Sheeps" or "Polices" or "Offsprings", do you?
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: October 11, 2019, 07:48:20 AM »
Don't Throw Away My Legos

Oh when will you American folks learn - the plural of Lego is Lego. It's "Don't throw away my Lego". I mean, you don't say "Sheeps" or "Polices" or "Offsprings", do you?

I was wondering that as well and made me think it could be a copyright thing to say legos instead?  Or maybe it's just that common mistake.  I had to double check as well, the song is called "legos" so oh well.  Honestly, it sounds better that way too but I know it's not correct.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #393 on: October 12, 2019, 01:19:53 AM »
So, I had a fun time watching Anneke van Giersbergen, Amorphis, and Delain in Anaheim.  Anneke was solo with an acoustic guitar doing some covers and some of her stuff and the stuff she was a part of.  Some fun tidbits on that set.  She had a vote from the audience whether to do a KISS cover or a Dolly Parton cover and the majority, whose mainly a metal-oriented crowd, wanted the Dolly Parton cover.  Anneke was rooting for the Dolly Parton cover as well, since she didn't remember how to do the KISS cover after trying it for the first few shows and saw that no one really cared, but people liked her cover of Jolene.  The bigger mark-out moment for me personally was when she played a nice rendition of Audioslave's Like A Stone and I think Chris Cornell would have been proud if he was around now to hear that cover since his acoustic shows mainly composes of the same format that Anneke did for her set.  Only one acoustic guitar with his interpretations of covers, his solo stuff, and the stuff he did with his bands.  I know everyone here knows it, but I can personally confirm it.  She's got a lovely great voice.

Next band was Amorphis and they brought a pretty heavy sounding set and that's really all I can say and that it sounds pretty nice and their vocalist had a nice balance between going clean and harsh vocals.

Final band was Delain and they were indeed the star of the night.  They brought a lot of energy.  Charlotte sounded good.  I liked the drum/guitar solo section in the middle of the set.  Charlotte also acknowledged a little girl in the front of the crowd that also held a sign on the end of the set that says "We Are the Others" and what do you know?  That's the closing song of the set so they dedicated the song to her.  It's a small thing, but it's a nice gesture to make someone's day on that show.

Also, as a plus to me, the person that was selling the shirts announced that whoever got a presale ticket for Delain with a presale code "Advance" gets a free shirt and what do you know?  My ticket says that and I got it on Stubhub, so yay me for getting a free shirt.  Helps offset a bit from the $38.00 that I paid for the ticket.

Now the sad news, there was only like 300 people that showed up for the show.  In a venue that can hold around 1,700 people, that is really concerning and I think I know why the turnout is small. I've said this before regarding other bands like Big Wreck and Winery Dogs.  Bands and promoters shouldn't be booking both a Los Angeles show and a show in Orange County in the same touring month unless they are a major household name.  Doing so would lower the attendance of one of these shows and that show would be the OC show.  This bill were not big mainstream household names since they are solid bands in a really niche genre and market so they are not able to draw full crowds in both LA and OC shows in the same week.  They can still sell out a show if they stick with one show in the SoCal area and that would be the LA show. 

Also, the tickets were a bit too steep for this bill.  $46.00 with fees included, but I get it.  It costs a fair amount of these European bands to travel here to the states in relatively not so large venues compared to Within Temptation and Nightwish that can pack the house in small theaters that holds 2,000 people in SoCal.  I kinda wish Delain was on the bill on the Within Temptation tour instead of In Flames last Winter (In Flames is playing in the Observatory in Santa Ana that holds only 500 people this November compared to the 1,800 that they played in LA with Within Temptation).  They would have played in front of a bigger crowd, played for an hour, and get a much more larger reaction, but I'm sure this band, as much as they love touring with bands like Within Temptation and Kamelot, they want to standout as a headlining draw since they do have the ability to deliver a standalone headlining set.

One could make an argument of this bill playing in smaller room to look like a more fuller crowd, but the most suitable venue in the OC for this bill was the Observatory in Santa Ana and Dragonforce was already playing there on the same day.  Part of me wished that I would have gone to Dragonforce instead since their tickets were much cheaper (around $28.00 fees included compared to the $46.00 that AXS was asking for the Delain show), but I opted to commit the whole way for Delain.  Regardless of crowd size, people were really into the show and Delain really appreciated that and still played their butts off.  You got to love bands for playing with everything they got regardless if they are playing in front of 200, 2,000, or 20,000 people.

Still, I had a fun time and got a free shirt and talked to some interesting people and heard great music.  Can't argue with that.  Now to rest for like 9 hours before heading to drive for an hour to San Bernardino for the Self Help Fest.  I may need to get a lawn chair since my feet is sore after standing for 6 hours straight today.  Don't think I can make it for 10+ hours of standing outdoors tomorrow, but it's worth trying.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 01:28:01 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: October 12, 2019, 05:56:33 AM »
Saw iamthemorning (yes, again) yesterday (see the band's thread), now I'm about to head out to the Epica's Design Your Universe 10th anniversary show. Hopefully I'll be able to make it to the front row. They've got two support bands so that's going to suck probably. Glad the concert season is in full swing again though, I missed that.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: October 12, 2019, 07:44:36 AM »
Nice, I'm looking forward to that Epica show in January  :metal

Also, sucks Delain didn't draw more people but 300-500 might be normal for them.  The venue in NYC sold out but its only 500 capacity and I think Amorphis sold at least half the tickets as it emptied out before Delain hit the stage. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: October 12, 2019, 04:25:27 PM »
Hell, I'm tired. Two warmup bands isn't something I'm usually in favour of, even though they both have been fine, I could've done without them, especially since I was at the venue at 16:30 and Epica started at 21:00. Epica was amazing as expected, didn't make it to the front row because of all the M&G participants, but happily stood in the second row. I definitely needed this to just vent off some steam after three difficult weeks at work, I enjoyed every minute of this show, man, this was great.

Cram, you definitely have something to look forward to.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #397 on: October 13, 2019, 01:17:26 PM »
Anguyen, that Self Help Fest looks interesting, A Day to Remember blew me away at the Warped Tour (I had never heard them before) with their energy and crazy crowd.  Let me know if the singer gets people to surf the crowd surfers  :lol I think that is so far my #1 concert moment of the year.

Yes, he did.  He did get people to surf on the crowdsurfers before Better Off This Way.  It's something they always try to do in every show they play in around the world, the singer stated.

Anywho, I had a good time at the Self Help Fest.  Long drive though to San Bernardino.  The setup wasn't too complex in comparison to the meccas of big rock/metal festivals like Download or Wacken or even the Danny Wimmer Presents festivals in the states.  Just one outdoor stage, one indoor stage, and a lot of concessions for merch, food, drinks, etc.  There's a lot of room to move around and there were plenty of spots on lawns to relax and sit and still get a good view of the stage.  I think like around 15k-20k people showed up at the festival at one point.  It's hard to tell when people are coming and going.

I did think it did took a while for me to really enjoy the festival.  I didn't enjoy the first two bands on the main stage.  One of the bands had a vocalist with such a squeaky voice for me to take seriously when he says "I want to see you guys moving and getting pits going."  The other band looks to be a old-school punk band and that's not really my thing.  That stated, from This Wild Life onward, I started to really enjoy the festival.  This Wild Life had a mellow vibe and the vocalist did a thing where he wanted the most toughest looking guy in the crowd to dance with the woman he is with the whole way during one of their songs.  They also did a cover of Wonderwall to top it off.

Periphery were good from what I can catch, but I feel asleep on a lawn spot in-between them setting up their stage and like 10 minutes of their set.  I can't help it.  My brain sometimes get so bored to an extend where I just doze off out of nowhere and this applies in any setting whether it is at my computer at home, in the break room at work, etc.  I think Periphery might have played like four songs in their 30 minute set.  Unfortunately, the festival found itself overrunning and behind on schedule they set, so I didn't catch Motionless in White as a curio on the other stage, because I was too invested in Animals As Leaders.  Sure, I didn't know the songs they played, but it sounded really good all instrumentally.  In fact, I think the guitarist might have forgotten for a brief moment on what song they were supposed to play.  I think the crowd appreciated them even though it's hard to really get pits and crowdsurfers going for an all instrumental band and they started coming in more masses as the sun sets and the more named bands for the (Beartooth, I Prevail, Underoath, and of course, A Day To Remember) is coming next.

I was disappointed in Beartooth's set though.  I liked various songs from their Disease album and the vocalist's live vocals were way different than what I heard in the studio version which was leaning more towards his screaming voice than his melodic voice.  My hypothesis gathers that he may have suffered minor damage in his voice due to screaming a lot.  It also didn't help that I felt he was trying too hard getting people into them.  I did really enjoy I Prevail's set the most so far in the festival.  They had a good blend of one guy doing the harsh vocals and the other guy doing the more melodic vocals.  I wished they played more from their Lifelines album (which I liked) instead of focusing heavily on their latest album Trauma (which I didn't like as much).  In hindsight, I do regret not seeing them at their show in Anaheim had I know I was going to like their set.  Live Nation had a deal where they were offering $25.00 tickets for that show.  Oh well, next time. 

Underoath was good as well and they came in relatively at the last minute (a week before the festival) as the request from A Day to Remember (since ADTR were the ones that organized the whole thing) and they were on a break at the time from touring long throughout the year.  As a result, the lead singer told a story of how he needed to get to a flight from home in Tampa, to Southern California at the last minute and they told him that a direct flight would be on Sunday which is no bueno since the show is on Saturday.  So he had to take three different flights to get to LAX and then took the trip to San Bernardino just to make it to the festival.  I presume there were no ways to get to the airport in Ontario since that's the closest airport to San Bernardino, because f' taking a two hour trip from LAX to San Bernardino.

Anywho, A Day to Remember put on a very solid set albeit a short headlining set (around 80 minutes).  They had it all.  The energy.  The songs people can singalong to.  Lots of pits and crowdsurfers.  A video screen for custom visuals and shots of the band and the crowd.  Steam and pyro.  They had some beach balls for people to pass around shown in the picture below.

The one thing I wished would have been better was during the encore when they played "If It Means A Lot To You" where the crowd should have reached their peak of singalongs for this song, since it's a song where the lyrics are literally "Now everybody is singing La.  La La La.  La La La,"  but it didn't here.  Oh well.  I still like the performance.

I wouldn't mind coming back to this festival, next year, depending on the line-up.  The one thing I should have done was wait just a bit longer for tickets to get to a certain point.  The website had it regularly for $75.00.  I bought my ticket on Stubhub for $60.00 about three weeks before the festival and then I saw that the festival was doing a discount for $44.00 the week before and even like two days before the festival, Stubhub was having tickets go for $40.00 fees included.  That's was just my bad and I will be patient and wait until tickets get to that price range now that I know it can be a thing.

Three more shows left in the year for right now for me.  I still need a show in December.  I do see that Thrice is playing at the local House of Blues in Anaheim, but it looks like it's their only remaining show in the states for the year, and it is sold out and the resale ticket is too expensive for me right now.  I also do note that Sublime with Rome is also at the HOB and tickets look reasonable at $48.00 for all GA.  Do I want to go?  Maybe.  One more band I note at the HOB playing in December is Falling in Reverse, but I read that their frontman is a dick that has been incarcerated in the past before and their music is already polarizing enough.  I only know of them because the producer for their last few albums was produced by the same guy that produces all but one (the first one) Alter Bridge albums.  Anywho, I'll find something.  I would think KROQ would announced their Almost Acoustic Christmas at the Forum as of now, but that's not the case yet.  If worst comes to worst, that will be my December show if there is an announcement about it and the tickets are not sold out instantly which they probably will.

The Who with Liam Gallagher opening - Hollywood Bowl - Los Angeles, CA.  October 24th, 2019.
Switchfoot - Fox Performing Arts Center - Riverside, CA.  November 5th, 2019.
Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Toyota Arena - Ontario, CA.  November 30th, 2019.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 01:24:38 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #398 on: October 13, 2019, 02:36:38 PM »
Seen:

Neal Morse Band at The Space in Westbury LI
DT at the Beacon in NYC
Iron Maiden at Barclays in Brooklyn

Will see:

DT at LIU (3rd row seats!)
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: October 13, 2019, 03:02:02 PM »
Looks like Ludwig and I were at a couple of the same shows (DT in NYC and Maiden in Brooklyn)

Last night's Incubus show was awesome.  Love seeing them play Make Yourself in full, their break through album and maybe their best.  It was also cool seeing them in a venue that is almost the same as Beacon Theater, beautiful nice theater.  Also small, about the same as what DT would play, but small for Incubus who I've only seen at big venues before.  So it was nice and intimate.  Going back for night two soon so I'll have a good video tomorrow of my two nights mixed.  I know the and beyond songs from last night so that leaves only so many for tonight so I'm hopeful for Vitamin or Love Hurts.

Anyway, this song is SO good from Make Yourself and wasn't a hit so this is why I wanted to see this show.

Incubus - Clean LIVE in DC

and here's a more popular song that's part of the "and beyond" rotation, love how loud the crowd sings along

Incubus - Are You In? LIVE in DC

Looking to catch another Make Yourself song and a "and beyond" song tonight

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: October 14, 2019, 09:48:00 AM »
I'm so pumped for seeing them in a few months. Who opened for them cram?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: October 14, 2019, 11:06:30 AM »
I'm so pumped for seeing them in a few months. Who opened for them cram?

No one, Wild Belle was supposed to but they had to drop off the tour for some reason.  I think they announced a new opener but they haven't joined the tour yet.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #402 on: October 15, 2019, 05:26:41 AM »
My concerts for 2019.. well my memory sucks and it's early, so this will probably be edited but most recently I've been to ProgStock this past weekend and Morsefest before that. Also saw Neal Morse Band earlier in the year in Philly. Drawing a blank aside from those for now, but I'm blaming Michael Sadler's caramelic voice for flowing in my earholes and clogging my brain, and I'm fine with that. <3

oh I guess I also saw Winery Dogs sort of (it was very crowded and I am very short lol). I preferred Flying Colors to Winery Dogs once I had seen them both though.

There was an attempt to see Queensryche but that ended with me wholly unconscious and needing medical attention etc (unproven drink drugging situation, or possibly cardiac / arrhythmia based issue compounded by alcohol intake. either way im' on meds for that now).

And I guess if that was in 2019 then so was/were some DT shows... but that seems more like 2018 to me. I lose track. Definitely saw Haken, Leprous, and Bent Knee last year in NYC, Philly ,Boston, and Chicago as well but that doesn't count.

eh, whatever I haven't posted in so long, I guess it's ok to go back a little further than just 2019. :D
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline earlilano

« Reply #403 on: October 15, 2019, 06:13:15 AM »
I was planning to cut back on concerts this year but that didn't happen. Lol.

My shows so far this year:

March 16 - Break of Reality
March 20 - DT
March 21 - DT
April 18 - Mudd Fest (this was probably the worse concert for me this year)
April 19 - Parkway Drive and Killswitch Engage
May 4 - Rise Against
May 25 - Lovelytheband
June 7 - The Ataris
August 3 - Jimmy Eat World and Third Eye Blind
August 4 - Weird Al
September 14 - Cake and Ben Folds
September 16 - Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle and Three Days Grace
October 8 - Angels and Airwaves
October 12 - Self Help Fest

Future Shows:

October 21 - Tool, I'm so excited for this one, I got 7th row center on the floor for the show
October 28 - DT
November 5 - Switchfoot
November 7 - Between the Buried and Me, and CHON
November 22 - Simple Plan
November 25 - Thank You Scientist

It's also awesome that I'm getting my 6 year old into live music. I've brought my kid to 2 concerts so far this year and I'm bringing the kid to 3 more this year.  :metal

Offline majo

« Reply #404 on: October 15, 2019, 06:18:49 AM »
Still to come:
The Aristocrats
Devin Townsend
Haken
Jinjer
+ couple of smaller jazz gigs
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #405 on: October 15, 2019, 03:02:47 PM »
Booked my tickets to see Devin Townsend and Haken last night. Also might go to see The Wildhearts tomorrow  :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #406 on: October 15, 2019, 03:43:33 PM »

March 20 - DT
March 21 - DT
May 4 - Rise Against
May 25 - Lovelytheband
June 7 - The Ataris
August 4 - Weird Al

Future Shows:

October 21 - Tool, I'm so excited for this one, I got 7th row center on the floor for the show
October 28 - DT
November 5 - Switchfoot

It's also awesome that I'm getting my 6 year old into live music. I've brought my kid to 2 concerts so far this year and I'm bringing the kid to 3 more this year.  :metal

How was AVA?   

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #407 on: October 15, 2019, 05:59:40 PM »

March 20 - DT
March 21 - DT
May 4 - Rise Against
May 25 - Lovelytheband
June 7 - The Ataris
August 4 - Weird Al

Future Shows:

October 28 - DT
November 5 - Switchfoot

Wow.  I've been to those particular shows in the bolded.  I guess we may see each other at the Switchfoot show in Riverside then.  Also, I contemplated wanting to go to Muddfest and I think I got an email from the House of Blues to reserve complimentary tickets, but I passed since I opted to go to church instead on that day.  Honestly, while I didn't mind reliving those early 00s rock bands and see how washed up they are nowadays, I think I've made the right call not going.  I also wanted to see Breaking Benjamin in Irvine, but as people may have read throughout this thread, I passed, resold my ticket, in lieu of wanting a more stress-free flight to the East Coast to see Alter Bridge twice.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: October 16, 2019, 08:42:01 AM »
Back to back nights of Incubus in Washington DC was a lot of fun.  First though, I started with a pre-game small show in DC.  I had googled events for the weekend and found that the DC Punk Archives at a Georgetown Library was celebrating 5 years of existence.  There was a display and performance, so I got there just in time to check out the new band CORIKY which is fronted by Ian Mackaye who is known in the punk world for the man behind Minor Threat and Fugazi.  Coriky sounded like Fugazi to me, but I haven't listened to them in so long.  It was a nice small ourdoor free show and Ian asked for no video to be taken so I did not take any (although you can hear maybe 2 seconds in my Incubus video intro).  It was cool to catch something unique, underground, and different in a really nice spot.  Georgetown University was beautiful on that fall Saturday.  Also there was a homecoming football game with lots of drunk college girls running around.  I could have just chilled there all day if I didn't have to go to a concert.

Two nights of Incubus at Warner Theatre, which is a really nice about 2k venue two blocks from the White House.  First night was practically sold out, second night was half sold.  I was pretty much in the same seat for both nights although night 2 I bought a much cheaper one on stubhub and just sat in the better seat since it wasn't taken and I think security knew me from the first night and didn't care that I just walked down.

I think night 1 was better in every way.  Better "and beyond" part of the set, better crowd, and better energy from the band.  It was the smallest venue I've seen them play and it was the closest I had gotten to them.  I think that made it really cool, felt intimate.  I absolutely love when Brandon plays his bongo, I think those were my favorite parts of the set (Clean and Vitamin).  THey added some cool breaks into some of the songs too like Drive and Are You In. 

I got a ton of high quality video footage and mixed both nights into one long video plus added my DC shenanigans to amke a 80 minute video  :lol

Incubus - 20 Years of Make Yourself Live in DC

This Saturday night is Toto  :yarr and next week I'll be in Denver for work but if possible, I'm going to try and catch the Sabaton show there which is sold out and I'm seeing the show in NYC, but if I could, I'd totally see it again in Denver.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #409 on: October 16, 2019, 10:57:33 PM »
went to Amorphis tonight!  Brought my 10 and 8 year old along for their first metal concert.  They got to meet Anneke and take pictures with her.  They were super excited and seemed to really enjoy it.  They LOVE the latest Amorphis album.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: October 17, 2019, 07:59:04 AM »
What about Delain? That's awesome, Anneke was soo nice and awesome in NYC, glad your kids had an awesome time

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: October 17, 2019, 10:35:54 AM »
Greta Van Fleet had to postpone their back to back nights in Philly this week due to illness, rescheduled for the end of December... when I will be home and off from work so just scooped a ticket up for GA floor for them at face value (these were sold out before, I'm guessing refunds made them available for the new date).

December 30th - Greta Van Fleet @ The Met Philly, Philadelphia PA

also after some discussions last weekend at progfest with DTF folks and others, I am thinking of trying to catch Thank You Scientist at either the NJ or NYC show, so this is tentatively on my list:

December 14th - Thank You Scientist and Bent Knee @ Mercury Lounge, New York City NY

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #412 on: October 17, 2019, 10:36:22 AM »
Going to see The New York Brass Band in Brixton tomorrow with my wife and brother! They are so good live, we were going to get them to play our wedding as they brought the house down when we saw them at Shambala Festival!

Just stumbled across the gig and it's a 5 minute walk from where we're staying.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #413 on: October 17, 2019, 10:52:04 PM »
What about Delain? That's awesome, Anneke was soo nice and awesome in NYC, glad your kids had an awesome time

Not much to say since we only stayed for the first couple of Delain songs.  We were mostly there for Anneke/Amorphis and it was a school night . . .  :lol   Not sure if that makes us bad parents or parents of the year!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: October 18, 2019, 07:51:38 AM »
 :lol its all good, I noticed a lot of people left after Amorphis at the NYC show.  Everyone I talked to said they were there for Amorphis.... except me.  They are really fun live, hope you enjoyed what you saw.

I am also tentatively adding this local yearly ska show to my schedule:

November 30th - Skanksgiving (Goldfinger, Suicide Machines, Big D and the Kids Table) @ Starland Ballroom, Sayreville NJ

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #415 on: October 19, 2019, 12:11:28 AM »
Aaaaaaaaand Allegaeon is a wash...fucking work man... their album this year is getting more play time from me than anything else including IQ, so fucking pissed I won't be seeing it's tour. Fortunately they tour a lot, but damn am I over this shit.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #416 on: October 19, 2019, 08:42:58 AM »
Dream Theater on the 24th in Mesa, AZ. The only show I have planned at the moment.

I'm thinking of checking out some local bands tonight. They have a thing called "Night of The Living Cover Bands", where Local bands perform as a band of their choosing. This is night 3 of 6. I missed the Spice Girls one, which I wanted to go. Sounds like fun.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #417 on: October 19, 2019, 01:35:54 PM »
Dream Theater on the 24th in Mesa, AZ. The only show I have planned at the moment.

I'm thinking of checking out some local bands tonight. They have a thing called "Night of The Living Cover Bands", where Local bands perform as a band of their choosing. This is night 3 of 6. I missed the Spice Girls one, which I wanted to go. Sounds like fun.

Will be there for DT!

Offline earlilano

« Reply #418 on: October 20, 2019, 04:34:23 AM »

March 20 - DT
March 21 - DT
May 4 - Rise Against
May 25 - Lovelytheband
June 7 - The Ataris
August 4 - Weird Al

Future Shows:

October 28 - DT
November 5 - Switchfoot

How was AVA?   

AVA was great until DeLonge started talking too much.

Wow.  I've been to those particular shows in the bolded.  I guess we may see each other at the Switchfoot show in Riverside then.  Also, I contemplated wanting to go to Muddfest and I think I got an email from the House of Blues to reserve complimentary tickets, but I passed since I opted to go to church instead on that day.  Honestly, while I didn't mind reliving those early 00s rock bands and see how washed up they are nowadays, I think I've made the right call not going.  I also wanted to see Breaking Benjamin in Irvine, but as people may have read throughout this thread, I passed, resold my ticket, in lieu of wanting a more stress-free flight to the East Coast to see Alter Bridge twice.

Muddfest wasn't worth it. I think the only group I enjoyed was Saving Abel. Breaking Benjamin was great but I really don't like the OC crowd. A couple was being obnoxious behind me and pushing me and pumping their fists and hitting me occasionally and so I just went towards the back of the pit.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 04:39:26 AM by earlilano »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: October 21, 2019, 06:00:19 PM »
Toto was awesome, my first and last time seeing them  :metal  I wrote more of a review in their dedicated thread but here's the vids:

Toto Live @ Count Basie Theatre NJ

Toto Hold The Line Live

Toto Africa Live

and I got ahead of myself at work today in Denver, shaping up very nicely to be able to see the following:

October 23rd - Sabaton and Hammerfall @ Ogden Theatre, Denver CO