Author Topic: Your concerts for 2019  (Read 30391 times)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Your concerts for 2019
« Reply #245 on: June 06, 2019, 05:25:23 PM »
Havent felt 100% the last couple days so still on the fence, but since my friend is going and has an extra ticket, I am strongly considering going to The Bash festival tomorrow.  Punk rock and craft beer so sounds like a good day although it may be rainy.  I think for $30 bucks (there was a ticket dump and the secondary market got flooded with under face value tickets) for just a few hours of beer tasting is a good enough price, nevermind seeing one of my favorite punk bands Rancid who I paid I think 60 bucks to see (with Dropkick Murphys) a year or two ago.  Also Pennywise and Suicidal Tendencies?  Sounds like the potential for a good time shit show  :lol  I just got to see how I feel in the morning and what the weather is really looking like

Man, I would be all over that! Rancid are my #2 fave punk band of all time  :hefdaddy

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: June 06, 2019, 05:28:59 PM »
Yea, a couple days before the show I listened to And Out Come the Wolves about 5 times in a row and absolutely loved it, it felt so good still today that album.  Sadly, they only played 4 songs before the show got cancelled due to weather, the band I wanted to see the most.  I'm just glad I got to really enjoy Pennywise, and the beer festival of course  :yarr

Haven't seen you in awhile Luke, hope you are still enjoying the punk/ska/reggae shows this year

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #247 on: June 06, 2019, 05:34:02 PM »
Yea, a couple days before the show I listened to And Out Come the Wolves about 5 times in a row and absolutely loved it, it felt so good still today that album.  Sadly, they only played 4 songs before the show got cancelled due to weather, the band I wanted to see the most.  I'm just glad I got to really enjoy Pennywise, and the beer festival of course  :yarr

Haven't seen you in awhile Luke, hope you are still enjoying the punk/ska/reggae shows this year

Yes I just got married so I've been a bit quiet on here. I've got some more free time now though so I'll be trying to post a bit more. Not had a massive amount of gigs this year but trying to get to see Rammstein in a few weeks. Not got anything punk lined up just yet  :-[

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: June 06, 2019, 05:36:14 PM »
Congrats dude!  Thats awesome, Rammstein would be insane to see too

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #249 on: June 07, 2019, 06:34:51 PM »
Well, things a bit quiet for me recently in terms of buying tickets for shows.  No reason aside from there isn't any shows that catches my eye and think, "I must buy a ticket now!!!"  So I might as well put things in perspective and rate the shows I've seen in 2019 and give my thoughts in the shows I've seen in May.

Tedeschi Trucks Band - Band was very solid.  The venue was not as solid.  It looks nice and all, but they didn't do a security check at all.  Red flag for me.  Also, there was a guy that was smoking in front of me and there was a lady next to him asking to take it outside and the guy rudely brushes her off saying it's a rock show, even though all the rock shows I've seen, there wasn't any smoking at all.  If only there was a security guard or usher, next to me, I would have asked them to kick him out for not only breaking a rule that states no smoking, but just being rude about it.  That's the kind of thing that ruins the mood of an overall concert for me, no matter how great a band has played (i.e. a similar case in the DT show with the guy standing on a chair and blocking our center view of the stage).

The Winery Dogs - Awesome show.  I would rate this my 3rd favorite show of this year.  I wouldn't say it was a perfect show like in the my two.  Maybe if it was a packed house that held 1,500 instead of like 500-1000, and maybe me being more familiar and invested with their stuff beforehand would have helped get there for me, but that's my preferences.  In all fairness, they have given me the most bang for my buck given the ticket price I paid ($14.00) so they pretty much exceeded any expectations I had going into it, which wasn't too high.

All right, here's my rankings for the shows I've seen in 2019.  I don't think there was a bad show I've seen.  All the shows varies from good to f'en awesome.

1. Switchfoot at Wiltern Theater.  Los Angeles, CA
2. Within Temptation at Wiltern Theater.  Los Angeles, CA
3. Winery Dogs at City National Grove of Anaheim. Anaheim, CA
4. Disturbed with Three Days Grace at the Forum.  Inglewood, CA
5. Nothing More with three other support bands I don't care much about at the Belasco Theater.  Los Angeles, CA
6. Dream Theater at the Wiltern Theater.  Los Angeles, CA.  (Yeah, I'm rating this not so high and the band played really well.  You think having assigned seats would mean all seats would have a clear view, but nope.  Everyone was standing the whole time regardless, and people were standing on their chairs and blocking other people's views.  I'm never going to do assigned seating in areas that would typically hold first come, first serve GA sections.  I would just stick with the Mezzanine had I known that.  Would have costed me like an extra $25.00 and would not see the whole crowd, but at least, I would have gotten a clear view of the stage).
7. Chris Cornell Tribute show at the Forum.  Los Angeles, CA.  (everyone played great, but the down time brought this one down)
8. Tedeschi Trucks Band at the Orpheum Theatre. Los Angeles, CA.

Here's the shows I've got planned.  Added Starset in October.  Hopefully, their sound is better at their own shows than it was when I saw them with Halestorm in 2017 (and they were the tipping point that got me into buying the ticket, even though Halestorm was the headliner although they delivered a perfect set as well).

Rob Thomas - Greek Theater, Los Angeles, CA - June 18th, 2019.
Mastodon and Coheed & Cambria - Greek Theater, Los Angeles, CA - June 29th, 2019
Shinedown with Badflower, Dinosaur Pile-Up, and Broken Hands opening - FivePoint Amphitheater, Irvine, CA - July 21st, 2019.
Zac Brown Band with Trombone Shorty opening - FivePoint Amphitheater, Irvine, CA - July 25th, 2019.
Lindsey Stirling with ZZ Ward - Pacific Amphitheater, Costa Mesa, CA - August 7th, 2019
Papa Roach with Asking Alexandria and Bad Wolves opening - Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, CA - August 31st, 2019
Skillet and Sevendust with Pop Evil and Devour the Day opening - Wiltern Theater, Los Angeles, CA - September 1st, 2019.
Iron Maiden with Fozzy and The Raven Age opening - Banc of California Stadium, Los Angeles, CA - September 14th, 2019
Breaking Benjamin with Chevelle and Three Days Grace (with Dorothy and Diamante opening) - FivePoint Amphitheater, Irvine, CA - September 16th, 2019.
Alter Bridge's 6th Album VIP Listening Party with a brief live set - Venue TBA - Orlando, FL - September 17th, 2019
Starset - The Regent Theater - Los Angeles, CA. October 2, 2019

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #250 on: June 12, 2019, 12:52:41 AM »
Already got to see BTBAM and Astronoid (Tesseract walked off????? I'm still bitter), and recently saw Avantasia...both were phenomenal. Hoping to see Iron Maiden, Astronoid (again), BTBAM (for the 4th time!), and The Contortionist this summer; and Demons and Wizards, Periphery, and Battle Beast/Kamelot in the fall....."hoping" being the operative word  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: June 12, 2019, 07:00:29 AM »
Forgot to write up a review of OAR, but I really enjoyed the show.  Never was a huge fan of theirs even though I had seen them open for 311 a long long time ago and also saw a headline show a few years ago sicne it was free.  Anyway, I don't recall them ever being this good though.  The horn section was really entertaining, lots of percussion, and a solid over 2 hour setlist of non stop chill music.  I was drinking a beer on my phone scrolling through instagram before the show started and saw my friend posted a picture from the concert, next thing you know I snuck her and her bf into the VIP seats where I was and we enjoyed the whole show together.  The group of people next to us were smoking doobies all night and invited us over as well so it was just a friendly environment all around and a good time.  The place was pretty empty though, it's a big venue, you can see in my intro to my video with literally crickets chirping (I didn't edit that, that's legit crickets before the show  :lol) but whatever, as long as its a good time and I know the band said they had lots of family and friends there so I think they enjoyed it as well.  My video came out really well, ~45 minutes of quality sound since it's lighter music in a good spot in the venue, my view and sound were perfect.

O.A.R. Live @ PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel NJ

and my non metal concerts continue next with the Alt-umate tour at the same venue this saturday with Live, Bush, and Our Lady Peace

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #252 on: June 12, 2019, 02:11:37 PM »
Forgot to write up a review of OAR, but I really enjoyed the show.  Never was a huge fan of theirs even though I had seen them open for 311 a long long time ago and also saw a headline show a few years ago sicne it was free.  Anyway, I don't recall them ever being this good though.  The horn section was really entertaining, lots of percussion, and a solid over 2 hour setlist of non stop chill music.  I was drinking a beer on my phone scrolling through instagram before the show started and saw my friend posted a picture from the concert, next thing you know I snuck her and her bf into the VIP seats where I was and we enjoyed the whole show together.  The group of people next to us were smoking doobies all night and invited us over as well so it was just a friendly environment all around and a good time.  The place was pretty empty though, it's a big venue, you can see in my intro to my video with literally crickets chirping (I didn't edit that, that's legit crickets before the show  :lol) but whatever, as long as its a good time and I know the band said they had lots of family and friends there so I think they enjoyed it as well.  My video came out really well, ~45 minutes of quality sound since it's lighter music in a good spot in the venue, my view and sound were perfect.

O.A.R. Live @ PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel NJ

and my non metal concerts continue next with the Alt-umate tour at the same venue this saturday with Live, Bush, and Our Lady Peace

I love their horn section. The one trumpet player who looks like he is living his best life has a standing gig on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert in Jon Batiste's band.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: June 12, 2019, 02:52:00 PM »
Ya know, I thought he looked familiar. But you're right, he was SO into it which just makes the whole thing more fun.  The friend I met up with, I had never met her new bf before, I wasn't a fan, and he was making fun of how he was dancing.  I just laughed it off, because I loved it.  I love seeing the musicians into the music and it makes me more into it.  My favorite parts of the night were when one of the trumpet or sax players would come down for a solo and their little battle at the end of the show (which I snuck up to the like 8th row for the encore to see up close  :metal)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: June 18, 2019, 01:06:44 PM »
Awesome concert weekend (I was off sick yesterday so it feels like a Monday today) so long review post below coming....

Last Saturday was the Alt-imate tour featuring 3 big bands from the 90s alt rock movement, Live, Bush, and our Lady Peace.   What a fucking show this was.  I saw Live last year and enjoy some of their music still to this day so I knew what to expect, but while I loved Bush as a kid, they really never kept my attention after their initial success, but it was Bush who won the night if you ask me. 

Let's start with the opener, Our Lady Peace.  The place was EMPTY for them.  I think that's got to be the worst part of being the opener for a 3 act national tour in these big venues, it's just very empty for when they start.  Kind of weird, feels so personal when there's no one else around and you can see the band's eye's just like looking around.  Well, they sounded pretty good and played a new song they have yet to record Stop Making Stupid People Famous.  They've never been a band of interest for me, I was totally cool with showing up on time to check them out and they didn't win me over, it's just not my music, but I did think they were solid and to come out and play new music, I respect that.  Shortly after they finish a couple shows up to the seats next to me and says they are here to see them  :facepalm:

Next came Bush.  For one, the energy.  Gavin (the singer) has a lot of energy.  You'd think from watching them that this was a young band looking to prove themselves.  I really enjoyed that energy.  The crowd was into it.  They have so many good hit songs and everyone hit the right spot.  I've had a few songs stuck in my head after this one (it's like the sound of winter...) .  But maybe the coolest part, and lucky for me, I took a smoke break into the lawn halfway through their set and started chatting with some randoms, really cool talks and fun atmosphere out on the lawn, next thing I know, Gavin leaves the stage and walks up to the lawn.  I kind of just stand in my spot, not running over, which was a great call as he turned left and broke through the crowd and came right up to me.  It was all so quick, but it's like he was following the smoke smell I had created  :hat Anyway, gave him a pat on the back as he sung "It's the little things that kill" walking right by me.  Absolutely amazing concert moment and will definitely be in my top 10 this year (and if not, it will be a better concert year than I can ever imagined)  Of course, I got it all on video: https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1140347010735849472

I won't lie, I was maybe on too high of a cloud to come back down for Live.  I thought Live was fantastic, but just really couldn't top what came before.  Both Bush and Live played 70 minute sets, so it was like a coheadline thing, but Live played some songs I didn't see last year.  They sounded tight and the huge crowd was into it all night.  I think Dolphins Cry might have been my favorite of the night, but they also did covers of Losing My Religion and Paint it Black that were cool. 

The thing about their set though is that the people in front of me started to get on my nerves.  Well apparently I was getting on theirs.  They clearly didn't like that I was recording a lot of the show.  Everytime I pulled my camera out, I could hear them talk to each other, look at me, and laugh.  It was a bunch of older couples who were the only people in the section sitting down.  Not that I care, they won't bring me down, and I was behind them so clearly not in their way or anything.  Anyway, I did do one dick thing which was purposely shine my cell phone light into their eyes during a Live song that called for everyone to turn their phone lights on.  It made it into my video and you can see how badly it pisses them off  :lol if you want to find it.  But the real reason I even post about this was because after the concert had ended, I figured I'd go chill in the lounge at the venue while it clears out so I could call an uber (it's really hectic getting one right after shows end).  As I am walking into the lounge, there's the entire crew of peeople making fun of me during Live's set.  They see me, they start laughing again.  I've had enough, I don't remember what I said exactly, but along the lines of "you get a good laugh at me?" which immediately got them to turn serious.  Funny how that works as they kept denying it, but then they said they thought I was a fan of Jerry.  Huh?  Jerry?  Who?  Turns out one of the guys with them is a big NYC sports radio guy.  Jerry Recco from WFAN's Boomer and Gio in the mornings show!  In fact, I used to listen to him a lot.  But being radio, I had no idea what he looked like.  They thought I was trying to get pictures or video of him and was a super fan stalker type!  :rollin then they admit they were making fun of me and Jerry bought me a beer and took a picture to cap off the very fun evening:

Anyway, concert was a blast, got to see Gavin of Bush up close, got a beer from a sports radio host, things were good for cramx3, here's the full video experience:

Live, Bush, Our Lady Peace LIVE @ PNC Bank Arts Center

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #255 on: June 18, 2019, 01:53:34 PM »
Next came Bush.  For one, the energy.  Gavin (the singer) has a lot of energy.  You'd think from watching them that this was a young band looking to prove themselves.  I really enjoyed that energy.  The crowd was into it.  They have so many good hit songs and everyone hit the right spot.  I've had a few songs stuck in my head after this one (it's like the sound of winter...) .  But maybe the coolest part, and lucky for me, I took a smoke break into the lawn halfway through their set and started chatting with some randoms, really cool talks and fun atmosphere out on the lawn, next thing I know, Gavin leaves the stage and walks up to the lawn.  I kind of just stand in my spot, not running over, which was a great call as he turned left and broke through the crowd and came right up to me.  It was all so quick, but it's like he was following the smoke smell I had created  :hat Anyway, gave him a pat on the back as he sung "It's the little things that kill" walking right by me.  Absolutely amazing concert moment and will definitely be in my top 10 this year (and if not, it will be a better concert year than I can ever imagined)  Of course, I got it all on video: https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1140347010735849472

That part sounds awesome, Cramx.  I love it when frontmans tries to get into the crowd and interact with them up close.  Someone gets to have that lucky experience that thousands of people in the crowd will not have.  I know that when I saw Switchfoot last April and their singer, Jon Foreman, usually walks across the rails of the GA section to interact with the crowd up close and when he was approaching the section I was at, I could have sworn he was pointing at me while they were playing Love Alone is Worth the Fight.  Don't know, will never know, if he actually was pointing at me, but it's nice when these guys are interacting with crowds up close.  Makes it more them more personable than they already are.

Anywho, I'm most likely going to go these shows.

Big Wreck - Teragram Ballroom - Los Angeles, CA.  October 20th, 2019.  I hope the sound is better there than when I saw them last year.

Switchfoot - Fox Performing Arts Center - Riverside, CA.  November 5th, 2019.  Got an email from them today since I signed up on their site for updates.  They announced that they are doing two sets, one acoustic and one electric, and will be playing some deep cuts for this next tour.  I've already pegged their show in LA last April as my favorite show of the year so far.  The fact that they are coming back to SoCal and want to do something beyond the "100 minutes set and play the hits and new album stuff" is an easy no-brainer for me to go to.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: June 18, 2019, 02:44:33 PM »
Yea dude, it definitely was not a "coming to me" moment, just felt like it and it's shit like that that makes me feel really connected with a band and music and makes me think "showing up tonight was worth it" when the singer is willing to get out and make an effort to impress people and win over a crowd.  Forgot to mention Bush played a new song from the John Wick 3 sountrack, Bullet Holes, and it's really good. I felt like I could still really relate to Bush and their music even though I hadn't listened in like 20 years.

and back to my review of the concert weekend....

I was on the fence of going to this on Sunday since I'm not really into old school prog music, but I didn't have plans and it didn't sell well so tickets were super cheap... and then my father said he thought I should go, so yea, I went to the Royal Affair Tour with Yes, Asia, John Lodge, and Carl Palmer's ELP.  This was a very cool show.

To start, it reminded me of ProgStock from last year, big venue hardly filled with lots of older people, everyone sitting for the entire show, and bands just interchanging personal from each other playing some chill prog music.  Well, that essentially sums up the show, but if you are curious for more, read on...

Got there in time for the whole show, it started with Carl Palmer's ELP Legacy with Arthur Brown on vocals.  This guy had one crazy stage outfit.  The music was more psychodelic and not totally my thing, but I thought they were a solid opener.  Carl did a drum solo that was nice. I had no idea who any of these guys were btw, I didn't realize Carl Palmer was the Palmer from Emerson, Lake and Palmer.  I didn't realize Arthur Brown was a big guy in the 60s with his hit song Fire (which they performed here). 

Next up was Jon Lodge of the Moody Blues.  Another band and bunch of dudes I didn't know.  They were cool, but I think only one of two of the songs were anything that really interested me.  They did mostly Moody Blues songs and people seemed to enjoy their set.  I liked the cello and thought Jon himself sounded really good vocally. 

Then they left, and back came Carl to continue telling stories.  At this point, it almost felt like this was his show.  He played drums for the entire Asia set (well, he is the drummer, but like I said, I didn't know all this going in).  And the singer/guitarist for Asia was none other than one of my newest favorite guitarists, Bumblefoot!  I had heard he was the touring guitarist, but had no idea he was also singing.  He used his double neck guitar that he used for Sons of Apollo and really only had one shredding moment that I can recall before he handed over guitar duties to Steve Howe for the second half of their set.  Bumblefoot kept singing, he was practically the front man for this old school prog super group.  Really cool, and I do hope the ones who were there for these bands enjoyed seeing them all play together.  They ended the set with Heat of the Moment which of course I knew.  It was probably the best moment for me of the concert as it seemed everyone was enjoying that song.  They did a couple covers, Video Killed the Radio Star and Luck Man which were both pretty cool.

After their set, they did a signing session which I just happened to walk by and noticed them.  Figured might as well get in line.  They prioritized the people who purchased anything for the session so people like myself had to wait awhile and eventually when it was our time, Carl stated he was done and had to go. So pretty much only Bumblefoot stayed around which was fine with me, he is the only one I wanted to meet.  Finally got my chance, told him I loved his work with Sons of Apollo which he really appreciated and looked like he took everything I said to heart, certainly felt like it when even though we already shook hands, he extended his again with gratitude.  And of course we took a picture:

By this time Yes had already started their set.  I walked over back towards the seating area, but took a pit stop through the lawn where I ran into some older people who started conversation, next thing we know all 6 of them are loving how such a "kid" (im 34 and told them that) would come to this concert alone without really being into it but as a way to respect the music.  I love interacting with randoms and sharing music experiences.  Brings people closer together.  Anyway, Yes was a lot of familiar faces with the keyboardist / bassist / guitarist from Asia all back playing.  They reminded me of seeing Deep Purple two summers earlier, lots of jamming parts (or it seemed that way) and they did one really long epic song to end their set.  They did a Jon Lennon song, Imagine, which apparently the Yes drummer played on.  Really cool, before ending the night with their hit Roundabout

Really fun show at the end of the day and super glad I went.  I feel like I got a history lesson in prog.  :metal

Full video of the Royal Affair Tour

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #257 on: June 19, 2019, 01:33:07 AM »
All right, I am back from seeing Rob Thomas at the Greek Theater today.  This is 2nd month of the four months stretch where I go to a non-hard rock show in addition to going to a hard rock show.  First off, let's get the parking out of the way.  So you had the option to pay $30.00 to park near the venue or pay $15.00 for a spot about two miles away, but you can take a shuttle to the venue.  I took the parking option with the shuttle option and I think it was worth it.  I mean I always get to the venue like super early anyway, so I'm not too fussed about time or worrying about missing the first band.  Getting out was fine as well.  At this point, you had two options.  Either you wait 15 minutes near the venue trying to get out if you paid $30 or you wait 10 minutes in a shuttle to get to your spot if you paid $15.00.  I know I got the better end of that deal.  That's good news for me since I will be heading back there in about two weeks.

Anyway, I think this is actually the first amphitheater show I've been to with all the aesthetics of being outdoors and near parks and trees and everything.  I know FivePoint in Irvine does not have those aesthetics.  I like it.  It brings a nice atmosphere for people to relax and be lively.  As for live bands, the opening act was Abby Anderson.  She was all right.  Had a standard set full of songs that was full of Adult Contemporary stuff that I don't dive too much into.  Her live drummer was pretty solid though. 

As for Rob Thomas, he was fantastic.  Played one hour 50 minutes.  Nice lengthy set.  His live band was great.  There was a moment where his keyboard player that sometimes plays guitar was playing the saxophone and him and the lead guitarist was trading off solos near the end.  Also, I think the keyboardist was also using a Continuum Fingerboard that was used for a closing moments of a song.  As for the songs, it's a great mixture of a couple songs from his new album, Chip Tooth Smile, that came off well live, a couple of his staples that people that have followed him solo may know well (Her Diamonds, Little Wonders, Pieces, This Is How a Heart Breaks, and of course, the song he did with Santana, Smooth), and of course, some Matchbox 20 songs (If You're Gone, 3 AM, and Unwell) which naturally got the biggest responses.  Rob's banter game was solid as well.  He really wanted people to feel like this is not just a show where he plays songs and people listen and it's a regular Tuesday.  I think the crowd was good enough.  Venue holds around 6,000 or so.  I think I saw a few sections with empty rows, but I think I can eye it to be around 5,000 people (although when I checked Ticketmaster to see how the show was selling, there was plenty of seats in the section I was at that was being on the resale for $25.00).  Many people were on their feet and was having a lively time.  I think it is easy for me to say that I got my money's worth paying $22.40 for the ticket and $15.00 for the parking.  Now I know if Matchbox 20 was playing in this venue, ticket prices would be at least tripled that.

Anyway, now I know what's it like being the Greek Theater, I can be better prepared for this show in about two weeks.

Mastodon and Coheed & Cambria - Greek Theater, Los Angeles, CA - June 29th, 2019

I've been listening to Coheed & Cambria for the first time and I am really digging them so far.  I'm quite shocked how despite their sound being a bit out there, how catchy their songs can be.  I enjoyed the two albums from "Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV."  I haven't even listened to Mastodon yet, so that's an additional bonus and value to the $18.00 ticket I paid for this.  This is going to be a great night that day.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: June 19, 2019, 08:18:48 AM »
If they priced that show here that low I may have considered going, instead our GA Stone Pony Summer Stage venue is so over priced and it's hard to find cheaper tickets for that venue on the secondary market. 

It turns out my work trip to Singapore is very unlikely to happen (for me, it seems my boss mismanaged the budget and they can't afford to send the extra man power) so that opens up July to concerts for me, which means I may or may not go to some shows at said venue.  It may just price me out for shows I'd otherwise check out.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: June 20, 2019, 01:27:00 PM »
Well advertising works.  Got an email about presale for The Who tickets at MSG.  Checked it out and thought the one section where I usually like to sit for concerts at MSG had tickets available for a reasonable price for The Who... so scooped one up.  Figured these will be gone once public sale happens and then I'd be outpriced to see them.  Plus I have the entire month of September off so this fits my schedule very nicely, here is how my month off is looking (I included August 30th since that's actually my first day off of all this since it's a Summer Friday before the holiday)

August 30th - Slipknot, Volbeat, Gojira, Behemoth @ PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel NJ
September 1st - The Who @ Madison Square Garden, New York City NY
September 4-7 - ProgPower USA 20 @ Center Stage, Atlanta GA
September 14th - Kamelot, Sonata Arctica, & Battle Beast @ Playstation Theater, New York City NY
September 15th - Babymetal & Avatar @ Terminal 5, New York City NY
September 20th - Delain, Amorphis, & Anneke Van Giersbergen @ Gramercy Theater, New York City NY

and I think I'll add in another personal trip between the 20th and 30th (no idea where yet, but maybe I'll find somewhere that has some good concerts that week).  What is nice is that I have a ticket to all of the above already, quite a hit to my wallet but it'll be worth it.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #260 on: June 20, 2019, 07:00:02 PM »
10/17 - Flying Colors

Maybe:

9/20 - Sebastian Bach - He's touring on the 30th of Skid Row's debut and is playing it in its entirety. Plus, I just got all of his solo albums and he still has the pipes. He's playing a little rock club in Lombard on a Friday night. Guessing it should be cheap. Hoping to make this.

Pulled the trigger on the Bach tickets. Only $30 total for one ticket. Not too bad. Just need to figure out who's going with me. Actually, I need to figure out who's seeing Flying Colors with me too.

I also noticed that Bobby Jarzombek is Bach's drummer so that's pretty cool.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: June 25, 2019, 09:59:02 AM »
Gojira in 2 hours on the amusement park Gröna Lund.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: June 25, 2019, 10:17:55 AM »
This one was just announced at my local ballroom

October 2nd - Gwar @ Starland Ballroom, Sayreville NJ

I think I will go to this one if I can when the date nears, I first saw Gwar in 1999 at the Birch Hill (doesn't exist anymore) with... Lamb of God opening!  Who knew they would become such a big band.  I then saw Gwar again in 2004 while in college and got myself dosed in the fake blood.  I know nothing of them today, other than the singer passed away a few years ago, but since it's local, I'd go check them out again for fun.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #263 on: June 26, 2019, 05:01:09 AM »
My upcoming gig schedule is still looking rather empty:

3 July - The B-52s
17 July - Eve Selis (work commitments depending)
18 Nov - Marillion
19 Nov - Marillion
01 Feb 2020 - Tedeschi Trucks Band
09 Feb 2020 - Delain
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #264 on: June 26, 2019, 12:35:01 PM »
Gonna have an awesome time during the 2nd weekend in August seeing GY!BE and The Aristocrats on back to back nights!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: June 26, 2019, 02:51:16 PM »
99% sure I am going to see Geoff Tate's Operation Mindcrime tonight locally

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #266 on: June 27, 2019, 09:41:04 PM »
Updated list:

February 13th- Neal Morse Band, Jersey City NJ
February 16th- Neal Morse Band, Glenside PA
March 6th- Talas, New York NY
March 29th- Experience Hendrix Tour, Newark NJ
April 10th- Dream Theater, Red Bank NJ
April 12th- Dream Theater, New York NY
April 13th- Dream Theater, Philadelphia PA
May 3rd- Winery Dogs, New York NY
May 21st- Animals as Leaders, New York NY
June 8th- Mastodon/Coheed and Cambria, Camden NJ
June 12th- Paul Gilbert, New York NY
June 17th- Tony Macalpine, New York NY
July 27th- Iron Maiden, Brooklyn NY
August 3rd- The Aristocrats, New York NY
August 30th- Flying Colors, Cross Plains TN
August 31st- Neal Morse Band, Cross Plains TN
October 7th- Flying Colors, New York NY
October 11th-13th- Progstock, Rahway NJ

Also, I haven't pulled the trigger yet but will likely grab a ticket at some point for Kansas's show in NYC in December where they'll be doing all of both Leftoverture and Point of Know Return.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Dreamdrummer

« Reply #267 on: June 28, 2019, 03:54:38 AM »
Last tuesday I went totally unexpected to the Rammstein show in Rotterdam.  :tup

I didn't even had a ticket until tuesday 5.30 pm.
I tried to buy them when they went on sale, but I had no luck.

My wife had tickets to the Weezer gig monday 1st July in Utrecht.
But, she has to work the whole weekend so a gig on monday would be a bit too much.
So, she decided to sell her tickets on Twitter.
Tuesday morning she received a PM from a guy who wanted to make a trade.
His Rammstein ticket for that very evening!
So my wife called me at work, "Would you like to go and see Rammstein tonight"? (she hates Rammstein ;D)

wait...WHAT!? Awesome!! :metal
So I went to Rotterdam and met a friend of the trader.
He handed me the ticket, I went inside the stadium, walked out on the field, bought some beer and made some friends along the way.

What an incredible show it was. Amazing.  :hefdaddy
It was a wall of sound. Very loud, very deep, but very clear.
In almost every song, something spectaculair happened.

Next year, they will we be back in Holland.
I will definitly try to get those tickets!!
Drums - Music - Faith - Hope - Love - Tattoos - Learning To Live

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: June 28, 2019, 08:48:27 AM »
That's awesome, the ticket trading dutch  :lol how random weezer for rammstein, but that must have been an incredible show.

Two nights ago I saw Geoff Tate's Operation Mindcrime locally and had a blast.  He sounded pretty good and it was fun seeing the whole album live.  The highlight for me is going to my favorite spot on the side of the stage so you can get close to the band when they come on and go off.  I defintily got Geoff's attention on the way on  :lol but the way off I got high fives from the entire band which also included Felix from Avantasia on the drums

Geoff Tate's Operation Mindcrime Live @ Starland Ballroom NJ

Tonight my local amphitheater is hosting Shinedown who I have no interest but I'd go if I didn't have a weekend full of plans so I need to save my money and energy tonight. 

This weekend is... Warped Tour 25th Anniversary on the beach in Atlantic City.

I know this music isn't popular on a prog metal forum, but there's a lot of awesome bands playing this festival.  They finally announced which days the bands are playing but I won't know set times until the morning of each day which sucks for tomorrow because I need to make the drive down there early in case one of my bands goes on early.

Day 1 Must Sees (in order): 311, Bad Religion, Less Than Jake, Andrew W.K., Travis McCoy
Day 1 Want to check out (in order): Save Ferris, Good Charlotte, CKY, The Aquabats, Glassjaw

Day 2 Must Sees (in order): The Offspring, Reel Big Fish, Dirty Heads, Blink 182
Day 2 Want to check out (in order): The Used, The Menzingers, H20, Taking Back Sunday, The Starting Line, Circa Survive, Atreyu

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #269 on: June 28, 2019, 12:53:08 PM »
How is Anti-Flag not on your list??? Frank Iero is okay to miss, saw him open for another band and wasn't impressed. I would like to see Juliet Simms! Stacked Like Pancakes are super fun Ska.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: June 28, 2019, 01:01:25 PM »
How is Anti-Flag not on your list??? Frank Iero is okay to miss, saw him open for another band and wasn't impressed. I would like to see Juliet Simms! Stacked Like Pancakes are super fun Ska.

Seen Anti-flag so many times I can easily miss them including at Warped Tour 2000, but depending on schedule, I'd go check them out again.  The rest of those bands I actually don't know at all that you listed, But Stacked Like Pancakes being fun ska, I'll have to see if I can check them out then because I do enjoy fun ska.

Posted this to twitter last night, my ticket stubs from my first and second wapred tour 20 years ago  :eek

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: June 28, 2019, 01:39:59 PM »
Updated list

Seen

2019-02-23 Stockholm Waterfront - Steven Wilson

2019-03-05 Stockholm Nalen - Pineapple Thief and O.R.k

2019-03-31 Stockholm Kraken - Riverside and Lesoir

2019-04-01 Stockholm Skandiascenen - The Neal Morse Band

2019-05-02 Stockholm Fryshuset - Avantasia

2019-06-01 Stockholm Bryggarsalen - A.C.T

2019-06-25 Stockholm Gröna Lund - Gojira

Upcoming
2019-09-15 Tillburg 013 - Ayreon

2019-09-21 Stockholm Fryshuset Klubben - IQ

2019-12-15 Stockholm Kraken - The Flower Kings and Kayak

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: June 28, 2019, 01:53:25 PM »

How were they?  Seeing them at the end of August part of Slipknot's big tour.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #273 on: June 28, 2019, 02:23:22 PM »
10/17 - Flying Colors

Maybe:

9/20 - Sebastian Bach - He's touring on the 30th of Skid Row's debut and is playing it in its entirety. Plus, I just got all of his solo albums and he still has the pipes. He's playing a little rock club in Lombard on a Friday night. Guessing it should be cheap. Hoping to make this.

Pulled the trigger on the Bach tickets. Only $30 total for one ticket. Not too bad. Just need to figure out who's going with me. Actually, I need to figure out who's seeing Flying Colors with me too.

I also noticed that Bobby Jarzombek is Bach's drummer so that's pretty cool.

9/20 - Sebastian Bach - Brauer House Live, Lombard
9/23 - Roger Clyne (Acoustic) - City Winery Chicago
10/17 - Flying Colors - Arcada Theater, St. Charles
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: June 28, 2019, 02:31:32 PM »

How were they?  Seeing them at the end of August part of Slipknot's big tour.

They rocked that amusement park like no one before them.... moshpit and all.
I was about row 10 when they started playing was thrown like a glove to row 3 by the moshpit beside me.

Tight, heavy and oh soo good.... lightshow enhanced by smokecannons, fire cannons and confetti canons

Great setlist with a good variation of old and new.

Only seen them once before (in March of 2017) but man are they good.....

The band was on fire and so was the audience

Got a few photos and a video on facebook
Spoiler warning, setlist is there.
https://m.facebook.com/martin.sandberg.334/albums/1837236019745791/?ref=bookmarks

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 02:39:10 PM by SwedishGoose »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: June 28, 2019, 02:40:29 PM »
Thats awesome and you are right in front center  :metal

I don't expect a big stage show, they are the 2nd of a 4 band slate.  I think they should be playing after Volbeat personally, but at least Behemoth is before Gojira.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: June 28, 2019, 02:43:51 PM »
Thats awesome and you are right in front center  :metal

I don't expect a big stage show, they are the 2nd of a 4 band slate.  I think they should be playing after Volbeat personally, but at least Behemoth is before Gojira.

Well stage show or not..... they are going to kick some serious ass

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: June 28, 2019, 02:57:36 PM »
Also its seated huge amphitheater so no mosh pit, but I do agree, I think they will be great and easily my most anticipated of the four bands for that show.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: June 28, 2019, 03:12:15 PM »
Also its seated huge amphitheater so no mosh pit, but I do agree, I think they will be great and easily my most anticipated of the four bands for that show.

Seated....... nooooooooooo, that can't be...... get up and rock!!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: June 28, 2019, 03:20:30 PM »
I guarantee I will be up and rocking out, but you just can't mosh in that set up.  I expect no one will be sitting for this show, maybe when behemoth hits the stage first and people are still just showing up.