Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 313009 times)

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
Re: Mike Portnoy's prog metal supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #2450 on: September 19, 2017, 01:40:52 PM »
So I wrote something like:

Voted but not for SoA. Based on the two songs released I don't think this will be my cup of tea.
Will listen to the album on Spotify and hope the other songs resonate better with me.

The post has now been deleted.... was that so offensive to Mike that he had to delete it??????
:o This is ridiculous, how We can not be permitted to share our opinions? It's nothing offensive of course, it's normal human thing to share opinions and like sth or not. Just don't get it, and that whole thing makes me sick so much, that I'm starting to have doubts about buying SoA album.... sick....

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2451 on: September 19, 2017, 01:55:52 PM »
I dont even know why you guys bother.  While I don't think the examples here are "bad" by any means, it almost comes off as you guys trolling him given we all know he isn't going to accept anything that isn't positive.  It is what it is, if you guys want to keep doing that, so be it, but I personally am starting to see it as people trolling him because they know it makes him mad.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #2452 on: September 19, 2017, 02:01:56 PM »
I dont even know why you guys bother.  While I don't think the examples here are "bad" by any means, it almost comes off as you guys trolling him given we all know he isn't going to accept anything that isn't positive.  It is what it is, if you guys want to keep doing that, so be it, but I personally am starting to see it as people trolling him because they know it makes him mad.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #2453 on: September 19, 2017, 02:08:53 PM »

Would you say people are critical of hypersensitive validation-seeking political leaders for the same reason? To troll them? Maybe people shouldn't do anything but buy the artist's record if they like it or pass on it if they don't, or vote for whoever they want, but be passive for the entire term should someone else win.

If Mike gets special treatment in a good way or a bad way--people giving him less than honest feedback in order to stroke his ego or not hurt his feelings, or people giving him honest feedback, possibly in a harsher manner than would be given to a more decent individual, with the knowledge that it will damage his ego--he has brought such treatment on himself through his actions over the years. He gets it both ways because that is the way people react to his polarizing style.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #2454 on: September 19, 2017, 02:12:17 PM »
I've heard both songs, they're good but i'm not hearing anything special, I don't remeber anything about them, just the keyboard intro of "Coming home", which I think it's good. I guess I will stream the album once it's out and then I'll decide.

I was also in MP forum since 2009 until Wey left, then I just went there once in a while but everytime there were less and less new threads and discussion. I never posted much, i was more of a lurker (the same as here, I've been here since 2011), but it was weird to see MPF being closed, although i think it wasn't that much of a surprise.

I'm realizing I'm less of a fan of MP than I was before, maybe it's because of his recent online activity, maybe it's because of his same bag of tricks or maybe it's because of the latter projects, in general, I have not liked them much (except NMB, the two albums have been awesome!). I saw MP's TSF in Mexico last week and I feel like I closed a cycle, now I don't feel the need to see MP live anymore and that's sad in a way for me. I saw him with DT, NMB and now SF, and i think i'm done about him, I prefer to see other bands and musicians, the only exception would be NMB. On the other hand I can see myself seeing DT as many times as I can (I hope that doesn't change!).

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2455 on: September 19, 2017, 02:24:12 PM »
I agree with cramx3. While a forum like MP's was a perfectly natural way of discussing, positive AND negative, opinions of his projects, doing the same on Facebook is obvious trolling.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2456 on: September 19, 2017, 02:43:57 PM »
That's the difference, or one of them anyway.  Forums are for discussion, Facebook is for promotion.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2457 on: September 19, 2017, 02:45:21 PM »

Would you say people are critical of hypersensitive validation-seeking political leaders for the same reason? To troll them? Maybe people shouldn't do anything but buy the artist's record if they like it or pass on it if they don't, or vote for whoever they want, but be passive for the entire term should someone else win.

If Mike gets special treatment in a good way or a bad way--people giving him less than honest feedback in order to stroke his ego or not hurt his feelings, or people giving him honest feedback, possibly in a harsher manner than would be given to a more decent individual, with the knowledge that it will damage his ego--he has brought such treatment on himself through his actions over the years. He gets it both ways because that is the way people react to his polarizing style.

Of course I would say that.   Maybe not literally "troll" (since many national politicians just don't have the personal interaction) but it's certainly, without question, a way for the "troll" to help themselves feel superior.   So much of non-professional political commentary is stuck at the level of "Is there a D or an R after their name?"  Politics is slightly different, though, in that it's not completely subjective and not completely a matter of personal taste ("I like that song!")

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2458 on: September 19, 2017, 02:47:59 PM »
I agree with cramx3. While a forum like MP's was a perfectly natural way of discussing, positive AND negative, opinions of his projects, doing the same on Facebook is obvious trolling.
Yup, Time and place for everything. Sounds like the bans were justified in that case.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2459 on: September 19, 2017, 02:53:57 PM »

Of course I would say that.   Maybe not literally "troll" (since many national politicians just don't have the personal interaction) but it's certainly, without question, a way for the "troll" to help themselves feel superior.   So much of non-professional political commentary is stuck at the level of "Is there a D or an R after their name?"  Politics is slightly different, though, in that it's not completely subjective and not completely a matter of personal taste ("I like that song!")

I would answer "yes" as well to that question

Yup, Time and place for everything. Sounds like the bans were justified in that case.

I'm not saying the bans are justified necessarily.  I guess one could say that, if you are running the show, you get to decide what is justified.  But to me, it is about "a time and place for everything" and there's plenty of public spots to display negative criticism of MP, but on his facebook after he closed his forum, is likely not the best spot.  That just feels a bit more personal to me and since we KNOW how he will react, continuing to do so isn't helping anyone.  There is this thread for example to share your negative criticisms (assuming you are respectful, and the examples I am referring to, have been respectful).

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2460 on: September 19, 2017, 02:55:17 PM »
I would say here is actually the best place to discuss his output. There's a good collection of people who like his stuff, and people who don't care for it.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2461 on: September 19, 2017, 02:58:37 PM »

I think MP did the right thing if he doesn't want any negative feedback he should not be reading his website. Usually the fans just accept the negativity from him but then Derek added on attacking a group we all have known and loved then MP attacks a forum that many of us know and love and actually fought back this time. He is in a way kind of like a social media bully, can dish it out but can't take it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2462 on: September 19, 2017, 02:59:04 PM »

I came to post the same idea, but you too beat me to it.

The reason I'm not on this thread is because I don't quite enjoy that style. I call it radio rock. But then it they are doing that then I hope the singles are just that the radio freindly single. The others could be a bit different, I'm guessing not by much though.

I might buy it, but will be determined if I like the other songs. Billy's bass tone doesn't help much at all. Thats my flaw with this band.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2463 on: September 19, 2017, 03:11:16 PM »
MP it’s not the one deleting posts at MP forum over FB as he is just another member there and have not admins power per se
These guys are te admins there:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2464 on: September 19, 2017, 03:19:27 PM »
Mini, that's true, but the blockings happened on his actual fan page on Facebook (the one with 1.3 million likes). Although I am surprised he isn't an admin on that
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2465 on: September 19, 2017, 03:24:08 PM »
Mini, before I forget:
Off topic, but I was curious, why did you have to remove your signature on the other forum?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2466 on: September 19, 2017, 03:26:48 PM »
Mini, that's true, but the blockings happened on his actual fan page on Facebook (the one with 1.3 million likes). Although I am surprised he isn't an admin on that

My bad, I thought it was on his forum FB page

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2467 on: September 19, 2017, 03:27:47 PM »
Mini, before I forget:
Off topic, but I was curious, why did you have to remove your signature on the other forum?

Nippet sent me a PM and told me to take it down immediately. Didn’t get me and explanation, I didn’t ask for one to be honest

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2468 on: September 19, 2017, 03:34:51 PM »
I wouldn't call the comments on MP's Facebook page trolling. It wouldn't surprise me if people were just trying to see what kind of discussion is and is not welcome. The forum was just shut down, supposedly because of either social media or because forum members were attacking each other. If that was really true, a respectful "these two songs didn't do much for me but I'm hoping to like the rest when I stream it" should be Ok, and not blocked or deleted.

However, now that those comments have been deleted, I'd say you have your answer, and if you continue to try to post the same things, it could maybe then be considered trolling.

I would agree with Rumborak that this thread will be a lot better for discussion.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2469 on: September 19, 2017, 03:36:39 PM »
I would agree with Rumborak that this thread will be a lot better for discussion.

Absolutely NOT!  Any attempt to discuss anything will be met with swift retribution!  :bosk1:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2470 on: September 19, 2017, 03:38:15 PM »
This thread is to be used solely for marriage analogies.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2471 on: September 19, 2017, 03:40:13 PM »
Right.  I mean, imagine you are with your wife for 25 years.  And then, out of the blue, she closes her forum and makes you talk to her only on Facebook.  WHAT WOULD YOU SAY IF I WALKED AWAY?!  :marriageanalogy:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2472 on: September 19, 2017, 03:43:12 PM »
It's more like Mike was on The Shield and left for The Real Housewives of New York.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #2473 on: September 19, 2017, 03:49:26 PM »
I wouldn't call the comments on MP's Facebook page trolling. It wouldn't surprise me if people were just trying to see what kind of discussion is and is not welcome.

Not to mention that MP's officially stated reason for closing the Forum was, "In this age of interactive social media outlets, there are plenty of other platforms for us to all gather info and have discussions"

I'm not sure how he defines "have discussions", but deleting completely inoffensive comments from the 'social media outlets' he's told his fans to now use is a pretty broad interpretation.

Whatever, it's his business, if he wants nothing but absolute and total praise at all times then let him engineer that, but I still think he's handled this whole thing really badly. That's just my perception of events though, I'm not him and I don't know what it's like to be in his position.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2474 on: September 19, 2017, 03:53:44 PM »
Right.  I mean, imagine you are with your wife for 25 years.  And then, out of the blue, she closes her forum and makes you talk to her only on Facebook.  WHAT WOULD YOU SAY IF I WALKED AWAY?!  :marriageanalogy:

..and you tell her you want a break from Facebook so you can give Myspace a spin. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2475 on: September 19, 2017, 03:55:26 PM »
Well, sure.  I just got lost midway through the analogy.  But that fits.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2476 on: September 19, 2017, 03:58:01 PM »

Dreaming at work again staring at Teh River?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2477 on: September 19, 2017, 04:01:46 PM »

I can't see teh river at my new job.  :(

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2478 on: September 19, 2017, 04:03:30 PM »
One of the odd outcomes of this debacle is that I now know that Planet X was so great mostly because of Donati. Too lazy to find it, but didn't somebody post that DS said he didn't enjoy playing the Planet X tunes?

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #2479 on: September 19, 2017, 04:06:19 PM »

You both might want to read the sentence that follows the one you've chosen to bold from my original post and respond to the first in context. If that isn't too taxing, you can even read the brief paragraph which follows it. As it is, it appears you're playing dumb.

Trolling may be a primary motivator for some, but there are valid reasons to criticize public figures or their work, and to dismiss critics as trolls and haters, or as fascist politicians say, "paid protestors", is gross. It results in ass-kissers who will coddle them and critics who will criticize them more brutally than perhaps they objectively deserve.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2480 on: September 19, 2017, 04:09:27 PM »
From a recent James Labrie article. Maybe this will be helpful to Sons of Apollo.

As always, before we say our farewell’s, James humbly shares his best advice for aspiring progressive metal bands,

“Stick to your guns man, I mean, if you really believe what you are doing is identifiable, it’s unique, you’re creating something that sets you apart. You’re creating something that’s exciting and that you feel is relevant to what it is that you’re representing then you have to go for it. And you have to be in it all. 100% committed in every aspect of what it takes, to make it stick. To make it happen. Be united. Be cognizant of your bandmates and appreciative of your bandmates so that you can all be there for one another, making it the absolute best it can be.”

https://overdrive-mag.com/2017/09/17/listen-interview-dream-theaters-james-labrie/

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2481 on: September 19, 2017, 04:13:28 PM »

You both might want to read the sentence that follows the one you've chosen to bold from my original post and respond to the first in context. If that isn't too taxing, you can even read the brief paragraph which follows it. As it is, it appears you're playing dumb.

Trolling may be a primary motivator for some, but there are valid reasons to criticize public figures or their work, and to dismiss critics as trolls and haters, or as fascist politicians say, "paid protestors", is gross. It results in ass-kissers who will coddle them and critics who will criticize them more brutally than perhaps they objectively deserve.

As I already said (in a separate post) there is a time and place.  Valid criticism is fine, but when someone makes it clear they don't want it in their space (whether it be facebook or their forum) then continuing to do so is not being productive (and hence feels like trolling).  Also, comparing this to a politician is a bit of a reach. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2482 on: September 19, 2017, 04:14:51 PM »
One of the odd outcomes of this debacle is that I now know that Planet X was so great mostly because of Donati. Too lazy to find it, but didn't somebody post that DS said he didn't enjoy playing the Planet X tunes?

Yeah, he said something like that on a recent interview.

If you listen to Virgil’s “In This Life” album, you’ll hear a lot of similarities with Planet X, because he’s the main writer for both.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2483 on: September 19, 2017, 04:16:06 PM »

I can't see teh river at my new job.  :(

My apology.  That stinks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2484 on: September 19, 2017, 04:17:07 PM »
As it is, it appears you're playing dumb.

And as it is, you've already been warned about baiting others in this thread.  Knock it off.