Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 313045 times)

Offline efx

Re: Mike Portnoy's prog metal supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #1645 on: September 05, 2017, 06:17:20 AM »
It is interesting to me though that as far as this particular band goes with its promotion, MP has done very little beyond being excited about it. It's mainly (and it pains me to say it) Derek that's been fueling the fire in the most unsubtle of ways.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1646 on: September 05, 2017, 06:24:32 AM »
It is interesting to me though that as far as this particular band goes with its promotion, MP has done very little beyond being excited about it. It's mainly (and it pains me to say it) Derek that's been fueling the fire in the most unsubtle of ways.

But if that's the sort of company he keeps/the sort of people he wants to have as bandmates, that tells you a lot. And just the fact he has to keep clarifying his statements because he seems to say too much. It's just not a healthy environment to be in. I'll stick with Flying Colors and Transatlantic because I've enjoyed previous albums of theirs, but the rest of it I'll probably leave. They've certainly put me off this latest project.

Offline efx

« Reply #1647 on: September 05, 2017, 06:31:43 AM »

But if that's the sort of company he keeps/the sort of people he wants to have as bandmates, that tells you a lot. And just the fact he has to keep clarifying his statements because he seems to say too much. It's just not a healthy environment to be in. I'll stick with Flying Colors and Transatlantic because I've enjoyed previous albums of theirs, but the rest of it I'll probably leave. They've certainly put me off this latest project.

Oh, for sure. And that's what strikes me as "interesting" about the project. Him and Derek are personality wise a match made in heaven but if they keep feeding each others worst tendencies I can see the other members feeling at odds with that. At least based on how they come across to me.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1648 on: September 05, 2017, 08:08:21 AM »
Derek's comment about 'no high vocal shrieks' also annoys me a bit, because I thought Soto's vocals on the SOA single Signs of the Time (I really hate that btw, 'Sign of the Times' sounds better to me) were boring. My favorite kind of metal singer is the kind who is aggressive but can consistently hit those soaring high notes - Halford, Scheeper, Kiske, Kotipelto, the list goes on and on. Like, that's one of the defining aspects of traditional heavy metal, wtf?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1649 on: September 05, 2017, 08:16:16 AM »
Derek's comment about 'no high vocal shrieks' also annoys me a bit, because I thought Soto's vocals on the SOA single Signs of the Time (I really hate that btw, 'Sign of the Times' sounds better to me) were boring. My favorite kind of metal singer is the kind who is aggressive but can consistently hit those soaring high notes - Halford, Scheeper, Kiske, Kotipelto, the list goes on and on. Like, that's one of the defining aspects of traditional heavy metal, wtf?

Jeff Scott Soto hitting some high notes...........

https://youtu.be/1fv081csf0g?t=476

He would struggle with that these days but Soto is often under rated as a metal singer because he has spent much of his career in a more AOR type setting.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1650 on: September 05, 2017, 09:28:39 AM »

Jeff Scott Soto hitting some high notes...........

https://youtu.be/1fv081csf0g?t=476

He would struggle with that these days but Soto is often under rated as a metal singer because he has spent much of his career in a more AOR type setting.

I don't follow Soto at all so that was a pleasant surprise. I'm familiar with his past with Yngwie but not as much as I'd like to be.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1651 on: September 05, 2017, 09:41:45 AM »
C'mon Derek, let's try a different marketing plan eh?

I'm very excited about this album but as a long time fan of both DT and MP I feel uncomfortable with this.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #1652 on: September 05, 2017, 10:01:01 AM »
i guess Derek reads this thread, i remember someone commenting about him saying something that could apply to JLB, and someone replied it should've been breathy vocals.

Derek Sherinian‏ @DerekSherinian  3h3 hours ago
More
 There is also no cheesy breathy vocals or "fake anger" vocals on @SonsOfApollo1 - we promise!!!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1653 on: September 05, 2017, 10:14:14 AM »
If Derek is reading this, I hope he knows he's lost at least one sale of this album. Interest on seeing them live is dipping strongly, too. But Derek also strikes me as the kind of guy who would laugh this off, so... whatever floats his boat. Ain't for me, though.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1654 on: September 05, 2017, 10:16:50 AM »
i guess Derek reads this thread, i remember someone commenting about him saying something that could apply to JLB, and someone replied it should've been breathy vocals.

More
 There is also no cheesy breathy vocals or "fake anger" vocals on @SonsOfApollo1 - we promise!!!

So glad I stopped following Derek as well! (stopped following MP on social media many months ago, and I don't regret it at all)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1655 on: September 05, 2017, 10:20:02 AM »

Oh, for sure. And that's what strikes me as "interesting" about the project. Him and Derek are personality wise a match made in heaven but if they keep feeding each others worst tendencies I can see the other members feeling at odds with that. At least based on how they come across to me.

I can't see them think they are doing anything wrong. With MP in the past it seems to be "I can say ANYTHING I want to say because I am honest and too bad if you don't like it" although if you say anything negative about him it's trolling or bashing.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1656 on: September 05, 2017, 11:20:21 AM »
Dezza's got this marketing thing all sussed out - throw grenades at the favourite artists of your most likely audience . :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1657 on: September 05, 2017, 11:20:34 AM »

More

So they won't be playing A Nightmare To Remember then? Or any of those other songs MP wrote angsty lyrics to and directed JLB to sing?

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1658 on: September 05, 2017, 11:25:14 AM »
If Derek is reading this, I hope he knows he's lost at least one sale of this album. Interest on seeing them live is dipping strongly, too. But Derek also strikes me as the kind of guy who would laugh this off, so... whatever floats his boat. Ain't for me, though.

Probably lost a whole lot of sales....

I would have preordered the album but due to Dereks tweets lost interrest... unless the next song kicks me hard I will probably just listen to it on Spotify

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #1659 on: September 05, 2017, 11:26:33 AM »
sounds a bit like MP doesn't want to get all the "hate" comments, lets Derek post all his sentiments, and since it's the guy that wrote Never Enough, it comes as a plus to alienate all the "haters" away by doing this. :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1660 on: September 05, 2017, 11:28:34 AM »
Derek: "DT sucks! LaBrie is a wanker. Mangini is a robot."

Stadler: " lol Derek is just being silly. You guys are too sensitive."

1. I doubt Derek would ever dare insulted Devin Townsend.

2. Can you prove that James doesn't wank it on tour? I bet he does

3. I have seen no conclusive proof that Mangini is not a robot.

Adami, change your password. Stadler hacked your account.

Have you ever considered that maybe..........................I am Stadler?

When's the last time you saw Stadler and me in the same bed?

Last night. :zook2:
I was told there were to be no pictures.   :)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1661 on: September 05, 2017, 12:10:50 PM »
I think its time they release a new song or something.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1662 on: September 05, 2017, 12:17:46 PM »
Another thing is the whole idea of MP trying to force a new home band for himself. No mate, you chose to leave your home band in 2010. You will now spend the rest of your career permanently floating between what are essentially side projects.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1663 on: September 05, 2017, 12:47:50 PM »
I get the impression DTF, and the Blabbermouth crowd, are being played. Without these tweets, this thread would have dropped into oblivion quickly, but now this thread has been at the top for weeks now. If MP and DS see trying to achieve exposure, they manage well.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1664 on: September 05, 2017, 12:48:23 PM »
Another thing is the whole idea of MP trying to force a new home band for himself. No mate, you chose to leave your home band in 2010. You will now spend the rest of your career permanently floating between what are essentially side projects.

That's not your call to make.  It's his. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1665 on: September 05, 2017, 12:51:56 PM »
But it's en route to a quasi-Pyrrhic victory if this is the promotional road they want to take, we're already seeing people who are losing interest because of these dumb snipes at Dream Theater. That is NOT the kind of reputation you want to have - it's a terrible first impression to make - before your album is even on the market. It's stupid in every way other than the "all press is good press" mentality.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1666 on: September 05, 2017, 12:54:20 PM »

That's not your call to make.  It's his.

That is true. I think he likes not having a home band now since it seems to be a matter of pride how many bands he plays in. I know of all of those he tried to make a home band of

1. Adrenaline Mob, but very low financial gain so he left
2. The Winery Dogs, fairly successful and not his fault the main song writer left
3. SOA, we will see

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1667 on: September 05, 2017, 12:54:41 PM »
But it's en route to a quasi-Pyrrhic victory if this is the promotional road they want to take, we're already seeing people who are losing interest because of these dumb snipes at Dream Theater. That is NOT the kind of reputation you want to have - it's a terrible first impression to make - before your album is even on the market. It's stupid in every way other than the "all press is good press" mentality.

This.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1668 on: September 05, 2017, 12:58:43 PM »
Well, time will certainly tell if the four of you that have such a moral quandary with this (and who have bailed on the project) will be outnumbered by the people that are brought to the project by this constant back and forth, but who will give the music a fair shake. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1669 on: September 05, 2017, 01:02:47 PM »
Derek: "DT sucks! LaBrie is a wanker. Mangini is a robot."

Stadler: " lol Derek is just being silly. You guys are too sensitive."

1. I doubt Derek would ever dare insulted Devin Townsend.

2. Can you prove that James doesn't wank it on tour? I bet he does

3. I have seen no conclusive proof that Mangini is not a robot.

Adami, change your password. Stadler hacked your account.

Have you ever considered that maybe..........................I am Stadler?

When's the last time you saw Stadler and me in the same bed?

Last night. :zook2:
I was told there were to be no pictures.   :)

I tell you a lot of things.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #1670 on: September 05, 2017, 01:04:10 PM »
Well people can feel what they like, but I find it amusing that so many get there feelings hurt over what one band member says about another band member of a different band. It seems like a few here now are not going to buy the SOA album because of it? I mean really? Only because Derek and Mike have taken shots at DT? I mean it should be about the music. If you're not going to buy the cd at least don't buy it for a good reason, like the music totally sucks! I would be fine with that. I mean I am a huge Metallica fan, but I'm also a fan of Slayer and Megadeth and both of those bands have talked major shit about Metallica. It never made me stop being a fan of either band. If anything I think the shit talking is hilarious. I'm a fan of the music. I could careless about the artists. As long as they put out music I enjoy that is all I care about. Just my 2 pennies, whatever.

PS. It's been forever since I posted anything here. How's everyone doing?  ;D

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1671 on: September 05, 2017, 01:06:29 PM »
I haven't bailed. Yet. If the next song doesn't do it for me I'll check it out on line prior to a purchase. I'm just not going to blindly pre-order like I was originally intending.

Just to note, my feelings are not hurt. I just find the bullshit Derek is doing annoying, childish, unnecessary, etc.. My biggest problem with the band after one song is the vocalist not doing anything for me. Seems like a nice guy, just not my cup of tea.

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #1672 on: September 05, 2017, 01:12:59 PM »
I haven't bailed. Yet. If the next song doesn't do it for me I'll check it out on line prior to a purchase. I'm just not going to blindly pre-order like I was originally intending.

Just to note, my feelings are not hurt. I just find the bullshit Derek is doing annoying, childish, unnecessary, etc.. My biggest problem with the band after one song is the vocalist not doing anything for me. Seems like a nice guy, just not my cup of tea.

Yea that's cool. If the music doesn't do it for you, no reason to buy it. I thought the first song they released was ok, but there wasn't anything that made me go WOW!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1673 on: September 05, 2017, 01:14:41 PM »
Well, I mean, this and MP's forum are about the only places for discussion of this band that I've seen (outside of their Facebook). It's the topic of choice lately, since there isn't any new single out there. I'm not out here with a picket sign boycotting Derek (I've actually listened to his music for over a decade now), but DT holds far more sway with me than Derek Sherinian or any of the guys in SoA who aren't Mike, so it's very easy for me to get annoyed by this and just set aside the band and put my $14 or whatever it costs towards something else. Not like I'm trying to start a movement, it's just one DT fan's opinion. (I'm also Mike's fan, and I'm wondering what he thinks about Derek's comments)

My feelings aren't 'hurt' either, in fact I was going to buy this on day one! But 'no cheese' comments about DT from the lord of lava lamps? Nah...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1674 on: September 05, 2017, 01:20:08 PM »
But 'no cheese' comments about DT from the lord of lava lamps? Nah...

But - just asking - why then do you assume he's being a truthful hypocrite, instead of cheekily funny?   It may not be YOUR humor (it really isn't mine, though I get it, and it's similar to the type of humor my college friends and I engage in) but it's still just as likely to be humor as the alternative.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1675 on: September 05, 2017, 01:26:43 PM »
If anything I think the shit talking is hilarious.

That seems to be what it comes down to. Some people find the "shit talking" (your phrase) hilarious. Others - like me - find it tedious and juvenile.

Of course we all could be misjudging this and Derek is subtly telling us they've fired the singer and gone all-instrumental. No high wails on the album, no breathy vocals, no fake anger*. What then is left on a prog metal album??

*I'll say though that I was actually thrilled to hear the anger in the lyrics will not be 'fake'. Rock stars sharing their genuine and heart-felt rage about the important issues of the day tends to be some of the finest comedy out there.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1676 on: September 05, 2017, 01:34:11 PM »
But 'no cheese' comments about DT from the lord of lava lamps? Nah...

But - just asking - why then do you assume he's being a truthful hypocrite, instead of cheekily funny?   It may not be YOUR humor (it really isn't mine, though I get it, and it's similar to the type of humor my college friends and I engage in) but it's still just as likely to be humor as the alternative.

Because he's promoting Sons of Apollo while taking digs at other people. It doesn't matter if it's DT or The Nuge, that's not an effective method of good marketing, simply put. We're having a conversation about this. That should say quite a bit right there about how appropriate (or not) it is.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1677 on: September 05, 2017, 01:35:31 PM »
Whether he's joking, serious, or something else entirely, people have a right to be put off by it, to feel that it is childish, or whatever.  As others have said, Derek and Mike would probably be wise to realize that they have a relatively small "built-in" fan base, and that their comments are alienating some of that fan base.  But ultimately, it's their decision to make how to manage their careers.  We the fans just get to decide whether we are buying what they are selling. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1678 on: September 05, 2017, 01:41:48 PM »
It's just incredibly childish. I mean, he's in his 50s, for goodness' sake! He should be past that now.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1679 on: September 05, 2017, 01:46:05 PM »
That last DS tweet makes me really believe they are watching what goes on in this thread, and DTF.