Author Topic: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan  (Read 63567 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan
« Reply #350 on: May 06, 2016, 07:45:18 AM »
Here's an interesting thing - when I first bought the debut album, on cassette, for some reason Nothin' to Lose was the version from Alive.  For many, many years, I'd never heard the actual studio version, because nothing I owned had it.

Interesting.... Just saw this on Wiki. It must have applied to the cassettes pressed at the time as well.

In the late 1980s, the album was repressed by Mercury Records with a live version of "Nothin' to Lose" in place of the studio version. To date, the repressed version is still available in stores in vinyl format.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #351 on: May 06, 2016, 07:48:04 AM »
Odd.  No idea why they would do that.  Makes no sense.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #352 on: May 06, 2016, 07:48:53 AM »
I was the same with RnRAN -  the only version I knew for many years was that on Killers.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #353 on: May 06, 2016, 08:57:02 AM »
I like the original studio ending to "Black Diamond".  Such a weird and cool thing to do to close your first album.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #354 on: May 06, 2016, 01:05:18 PM »
By the way, the third song to be written by all four member is "Back To The Stone Age" off Monster, and the two other records to not have one outside writer are Sonic Boom and Monster.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #355 on: May 06, 2016, 01:25:48 PM »
6. Lick It Up (1983):   One of the more famous of the post-originals albums, this is the first one released after the epic unveiling on September 18, 1983 (my first reaction:  "I would have put on makeup too") of Kiss without their makeup (actually, the album was released on the same day).  The album was a hit, though Paul has famously said “the fans were listening with their eyes”, because the record is in a lot of ways more a sequel to the previous years’ “Creatures of the Night”, even down to the personnel.  Co-writing all but two songs, Vinnie Vincent continued to bring his melodic sensibility to the band, and here he instilled a positive energy and a confidence in the group, one of only three albums to have no outside writers on it.  The title track is one of the very few non-makeup songs to remain in the setlist after the makeup reunion, and is one of only two non-makeup songs played by the original band on the reunion tours.  Controversial statement:  I think Gene is on fire on this record.  I could do without “Young and Wasted”, but “Not For The Innocent” and the last three songs on the record are classic Gene.  I’m less enamored with the Paul songs; these don’t sound like the classic Paul from the solo album and are a lot more…. whiny-er, for lack of a better word.   Paul starts to sing in a higher register here and it’s not my favorite but the songs are strong.   I may not LOVE every song, but the only truly weak moment is the “what be this, and what be that?” part of the “All Hell’s…” rap.  But I actually like the rest of the song (the second of only three songs credited to the four current members of the band).  The worst part of this album is by far the videos; for such a visual band on stage, the videos for this record are comical and cringe-inducing. 

So I basically checked out on KISS after Dynasty. I was really still just a kid at the time. Never got Unmasked, or The Elder when they came out. I started branching out and coming of age music wise and KISS were largely in my past. In fact, Creatures flew under my radar as well. I bring this up because when Lick It Up came out, I was very into hard rock music and after watching the vids, I actually didn't think Lick It Up (the song) and All Hell's were even that bad, other than the horrid videos. I even remember them touring and playing the Centrum (w/ Accept!!). But I never bought Lick It Up, and still wasn't taking them seriously.

But when Animalize came out, I decided to jump in and I bought it. I loved it, and then I subsequently went back and rediscovered KISS. Had they played in Providence, I definitely would've seen that show, but they played Worcester, and it was a bit too far for my parents.
So when Asylum came out, I was full blown back into KISS. To me, Lick It Up has aged really well. I'm far more of a Paul guy than a Gene guy (by miles), but I love And On The 8th Day, maybe one of my all time favorite Gene songs.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: May 06, 2016, 03:02:45 PM »
Not for the Innocent is one of my top Kiss songs ever.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: May 09, 2016, 09:30:26 AM »

Do bootlegs exist for any of the Elder shows they played in Europe?    And another question.   Ace mimed all the promotional stuff they did for Elder, but did he actually play the stuff live?

I am still looking into the European shows.  Most info I have says that was Vinnie, but in the Kissology II booklet, Paul does say (rather magnanimously) that Ace did do a few Creatures shows in Europe.  He's usually pretty right on the facts (if not the emotion) of Kiss, so...  I'll keep looking.

Having said that, I rewatched the Friday's show, where Kiss appeared and played "The Oath", "World Without Heroes" and "I".  It was NOT lip synched, in my opinion.    "The Oath" was AMAZING, even though Ace's solo was less than inspired, WWH was better than the album (though Paul took the solo and it was... rudimentary at best) and "I" was okay.  They staged it as if "I" was like the set-closer, and it's just not that good a song, though I can't get over how good "The Oath" was.   

Having said all that, there's no reason that they couldn't have taped an alternate version and mimed to THAT, but I don't think that's the case.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: May 09, 2016, 09:39:21 AM »
4. Rock and Roll Over (1976):  I am sorry for the delay, but let me be honest; I decided to go back this weekend and re-listen to the top four.  This is a great album and when I started the list it was actually number one, but over the past weekend it didn’t click like it had, so I’m putting it here.  But let’s be clear: I think this is an amazing album.  Strong songs (only “Baby Driver” is really weak), strong playing (Paul sings his ass off on this record), and strong sound (it was recorded “live” in a theater in New York).  Although six of the ten songs have been played live, this is poorly represented in the recent live sets, with only “Calling Dr. Love” seeing any real play.   I think side two of this record is one of the best album sides in the catalogue; the only three that come close are Creatures side two, Destroyer side two, and Hotter Than Hell side one (in alphabetical order!).   In trying to rationalize why it might have slipped, I can only say that it’s because it was the follow-up to an incredibly strong record, and as good as it is, it doesn’t match up song for song.  “Hard Luck Woman” (famously written by Paul for Rod Stewart, but Gene wouldn’t give it up) is a pale attempt to capitalize on the success of “Beth”; “Calling Dr. Love”, while a good song, is really just a Gene showcase, just not as definitive as “God Of Thunder”.   The “lesser” Gene songs are strong – “Love ‘Em and Leave ‘Em” is a top ten Kiss song for me, and I love “See You In Your Dreams” – and “Makin’ Love” is possibly my favorite Paul song in the catalogue, but on the whole, this is a great album by a band riding the wave as opposed to treading new territory.  Also, not to pile on, but while some of Ace’s solos are excellent (“Take Me”, Love ‘Em…” and “Makin’ Love”) Peter’s drumming is not the tribal experience it was on previous records (particularly on Destroyer and Hotter Than Hell).   My motto is, in case of a tie, the earlier work should prevail, and such is the case here.   The cover is my favorite of the “drawn” (i.e. not a photo of the band) covers.

Trivia: What was the source of inspiration for “Calling Dr. Love”?

3. Destroyer (1976):  In recording their follow-up to the ground-breaking success, Alive!, the band took a pretty strong left turn, relatively speaking, bringing in Alice Cooper producer Bob Ezrin to run the show.  The band’s sound changed radically into a more polished, less gritty sound, as compared to their first three albums, and it paid off with their first platinum album.   Like the debut, Destroyer has played a heavy role in setlists to this day, with up to six of the nine songs appearing in any given show.   For me, there is no filler on this record, though “Great Expectations” is not essential, and I’m not the hugest fan of “Beth” (though I used to sing it to my daughter as she fell asleep). The rest I love; “Flaming Youth”, “Shout It Out Loud” and “Do You Love Me?” are all solid, and I actually like “Sweet Pain”.   “God of Thunder” and “Detroit Rock City” are still concert staples, the former being Gene’s solo spot, featuring his blood and flying (he usually sings the song from atop the lighting truss).  I’m usually a “Gene” guy, but this is probably Paul’s strongest record, singing five (and half) of the albums nine songs.   The “half”, “Shout It Out Loud” (one of my favorite Kiss songs), is split with Gene in a classic call-and-response.  My daughter was thrilled when I played that in the car; you can clearly hear Gene panned to the left and Paul panned to the right during the verses, a very cool effect.  It’s not my absolute favorite, but it is many people’s favorite, and for good reason.  It’s a solid record that captures almost every enduring aspect of Kiss.

Trivia:  The cover was painted by Ken Kelley; can you name two other prominent album covers painted by Kelley?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #359 on: May 09, 2016, 09:41:16 AM »
Calling Dr. Love was inspired by an episode of the Three Stooges at the Holiday Inn in Evansville, Indiana.  :)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #360 on: May 09, 2016, 09:45:24 AM »
Rock n Roll Over :tup Great album.

Destroyer :tdwn: Overrated. Detroit Rock City is excellent, as is God of Thunder, and Shout it Out Loud has grown on me to a pretty good song, Beth is a decent enough song if you pretend that it's not KISS, but other than that, it's got nothin' else I'd listen to. Great Expectations is just horrible.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #361 on: May 09, 2016, 09:47:12 AM »
King of the Night Time World has always been one of my favorite Kiss songs, quite possibly my favorite altogether.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: May 09, 2016, 09:48:36 AM »
Calling Dr. Love was inspired by an episode of the Three Stooges at the Holiday Inn in Evansville, Indiana.  :)

"Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard!"

Nice.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: May 09, 2016, 09:51:02 AM »
King of the Night Time World has always been one of my favorite Kiss songs, quite possibly my favorite altogether.

To this day I'm still disappointed that when I saw KISS, they opened with that mediocre track, while the Melbourne show a few days beforehand got Creatures of the fucking Night instead.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #364 on: May 09, 2016, 09:52:23 AM »
Oh ouch.  :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #365 on: May 09, 2016, 10:35:26 AM »
Your number four is my number one. A tremendous album.

Am I the only one who prefers Hard luck woman to Beth? For me it's not even close actually.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: May 09, 2016, 10:37:16 AM »
Your number four is my number one. A tremendous album.

Am I the only one who prefers Hard luck woman to Beth? For me it's not even close actually.

Nope, I'd also put Hard Luck Woman well above Beth, even though I like both songs.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #367 on: May 09, 2016, 10:46:09 AM »
also in the HLW > Beth camp
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #368 on: May 09, 2016, 11:46:57 AM »
Ditto.

I thought it was interesting to find out that "Hard Luck Woman" was written for Rod Stewart.  I'd never made the connection before, but it does sound like it could be a Rod Stewart song.  His voice isn't exactly the same, but it has that same raspy quality to it as well.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #369 on: May 09, 2016, 12:00:07 PM »

Might just be my favourite, but I'd take the Alive II version.

Can't argue with these being so high but Destroyer has been a bit overplayed because of its greatness. The production is immense and Udo's to Ezrin for bringing all the talent together and showcasing it.

I've never been the biggest fan of RnRO and I'm not sure why. I like most of the songs well enough. Not a fan of See You In... But the rest is fine. I prefer the Alive II versions of CDL and LR so maybe it's a production issue, though I'm not consciously aware that there's anything wrong with it. Destroyer aside it was a more KISS sounding album than its predecessors.

One thing you mention in the write up about RnRO having the best side 2 other than Creatures... I've always preferred side one of Creatures and thought side 2 dropped the quality a bit with. ILIL! ISLY and Killer.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: May 09, 2016, 12:10:44 PM »
Here you are Mr Ezrin

I agree with Blob on Destroyer - one third killer and lots of filler.

Can't say I was ever a huge fan of King of The Night Time World - like it but not a big fave.

Hard Luck Woman > Beth ..........yes , although it's a bit too Rod Stewart for me to be a big favourite.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #371 on: May 09, 2016, 12:23:22 PM »
Udo's!!!
 :rollin

:metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #372 on: May 09, 2016, 12:27:39 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: May 09, 2016, 12:54:44 PM »
In my world, there's never enough references to Udo (even though I'm not a huge fan of his music per se).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #374 on: May 09, 2016, 12:57:04 PM »
In my world, there's never enough references to Udo (even though I'm not a huge fan of his music per se).

Huge classic Accept fan here!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: May 09, 2016, 01:13:51 PM »
Talking about the notion of "overplayed", these lists are problematic for that reason.   I tend to pick albums out of the pile to listen to if I haven't gone back to them in a while, but as much as I've heard Detroit... and Shout...   a brazilian times, every time I hear them I turn the radio up and start singing along.  The only song on Destroyer that is sort of ruined for me in that way is God of Thunder.  It's a great riff, it's excellent live, but in terms of sitting down with headphones and listening, well, it's kind of a novelty. 

When I did the list initially it was:
1. Rock and Roll Over
2. Hotter Than Hell
3. Creatures of the Night
4. Destroyer

and on Friday, I had to be a taxi for my daughter to/from school, then to/from a school function (including sitting and waiting for her) and so I listened to all four boom boom boom, and the answer was clear.   Destroyer is just a kick ass, stomp your feet, stand up and shout hard rock record.   As Paul says in "Flaming Youth", "WHOA YEAH!"

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: May 09, 2016, 01:23:00 PM »

:metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #377 on: May 09, 2016, 04:13:08 PM »
I've impressed my kids because I've convinced them that in the live version on Alive II of Shout It Paul sings what sounds like "turn it up Paul Lowder!" (My name for those that don't know).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #378 on: May 09, 2016, 04:13:51 PM »
Wait! You mean that's NOT what he says? :omg:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #379 on: May 09, 2016, 04:17:03 PM »
Wait! You mean that's NOT what he says? :omg:

Hey, I always thought it was!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #380 on: May 09, 2016, 04:23:48 PM »
I'll say that Hard Luck Woman was probably my first favorite KISS song. And While I love I Want You and even Makin' Love, I could never ever rate RnRO this high.
But I cannot argue with Destroyer. Flaming Youth rules! But Great Expectations...blows!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #381 on: May 09, 2016, 04:35:02 PM »

To this day I'm still disappointed that when I saw KISS, they opened with that mediocre track, while the Melbourne show a few days beforehand got Creatures of the fucking Night instead.

Sometimes I just want to blobslap you.

Though Creatures is a fantastic tune.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #382 on: May 09, 2016, 04:35:53 PM »
I definitely like KOTNW but Creatures kills it!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #383 on: May 09, 2016, 04:38:49 PM »
There should have been another song to drop and keep both on!  Open with Creatures then KOTNW.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #384 on: May 09, 2016, 04:47:30 PM »
   Open with Creatures then KOTNW.