Author Topic: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan  (Read 62388 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan
« Reply #245 on: May 03, 2016, 12:30:12 PM »
I'm sticking with "Solid meh, ranks low".  I may attempt to listen to Unmasked today, still.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #246 on: May 03, 2016, 12:32:25 PM »
Both would near the bottom of the list for me, unquestionably.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #247 on: May 03, 2016, 12:52:50 PM »
These two are at the bottom of my list regarding the first eight albums, which isn't odd. I have to single out a few underrated songs from these albums - X-Ray eyes and Naked city, insanely catchy tunes.  :metal

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #248 on: May 03, 2016, 01:49:04 PM »
Okay, I made it through.  I'd forgotten that Tomorrow IS actually a pretty good tune.  Two Sides of the Coin is decent as well.  The rest I wouldn't miss if I didn't hear them again.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #249 on: May 03, 2016, 01:52:04 PM »
These two are at the bottom of my list regarding the first eight albums, which isn't odd. I have to single out a few underrated songs from these albums - X-Ray eyes and Naked city, insanely catchy tunes.  :metal

For those who like these records, I guess they feel this way, although for a lot more of its songs:pop rock catchy tunes. :tup :metal
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 02:03:56 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #250 on: May 03, 2016, 01:56:06 PM »
Okay, I made it through.  I'd forgotten that Tomorrow IS actually a pretty good tune.  Two Sides of the Coin is decent as well.  The rest I wouldn't miss if I didn't hear them again.

Some on Coz, get your feet wet.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #251 on: May 03, 2016, 02:00:59 PM »
Ace should've been slapped for that song.  Awful.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: May 03, 2016, 02:03:18 PM »
 :lol

I find Unmasked on the lower end but I can still listen to it.  Maybe it my age at the time that I liked it.

Dynasty is middle of the road for me.  Some really cool tunes but overall not one I spin a lot these days.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #253 on: May 03, 2016, 02:19:40 PM »
Trivia: what is unique about “Naked City”?

It's actually a decent song from Unmasked?

:neverusethis:

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #254 on: May 03, 2016, 02:22:13 PM »
That can't be it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #255 on: May 03, 2016, 02:27:34 PM »
OK, I really like two songs from Unmasked. Naked City and Tomorrow, which to me is one of KISS' all time best tracks.
And Easy As It Seems is pretty easy on the ears.

I cannot believe Revenge is ranked so low and Unmasked is ranked this high.

As for Dynasty, I actually have it rated higher. All 3 Ace tracks are amazing.

MAYBE Save Your Love, but I don't really care for the background vocals on that one.

I remember having this conversation with you a few years ago.

Still, Hard Times and Save Your Love are probably my two favorite all time Ace tunes. It's rare that I "love" a Gene song, but Charisma is so cheesy it's awesome. And of course, Paul is fantastic with Sure Know Something and Magic Touch.
I think Dynasty is a great album.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 02:41:26 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: May 03, 2016, 03:21:08 PM »
Trivia: what is unique about “Naked City”?

It's actually a decent song from Unmasked?

:neverusethis:

I was going to say the same thing :lol   Definitely my most played track from that album - by miles.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #257 on: May 03, 2016, 03:50:44 PM »
Jorn does a good cover of Naked City.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #258 on: May 03, 2016, 03:53:52 PM »
Jorn does a good cover of Naked City.

Never heard it. That could be interesting.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #259 on: May 03, 2016, 03:54:44 PM »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #260 on: May 03, 2016, 03:56:19 PM »
I'd still take the original

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #261 on: May 03, 2016, 04:05:57 PM »
I'd still take the original

Yeah, I was a little disappointed.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #262 on: May 03, 2016, 04:39:24 PM »
That's because it's Naked City.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #263 on: May 03, 2016, 04:44:56 PM »
That can't be it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: May 03, 2016, 04:52:13 PM »
That's because it's Naked City.

It's the kind of naked that Coz can't back. Take Me is the groin shot Coz needs from KISS.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #265 on: May 04, 2016, 06:36:20 AM »
That can't be it.

:lol

Stadler, any chance of putting an up-to-the-moment list in the OP so we can see the rankings at a glance.  Post by post analysis is awesome, but it's also cool to see the list to help keep track of what albums have been covered and how they rank against other albums.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #266 on: May 04, 2016, 07:14:53 AM »
Stadler, any chance of putting an up-to-the-moment list in the OP so we can see the rankings at a glance.  Post by post analysis is awesome, but it's also cool to see the list to help keep track of what albums have been covered and how they rank against other albums.

I agree.

Great minds and such..

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #267 on: May 04, 2016, 07:19:20 AM »
What has always puzzled me about Dynasty was as F'd up as Ace was during this time period, his tunes are so strong. Same for his solo album. Contrast with his tracks for Unmasked, which aren't even in the ballpark.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #268 on: May 04, 2016, 08:53:06 AM »
It's interesting how it goes.  You've got his solo album, which is killer.  Then some decent songs on Dynasty.  Then it goes downhill on Unmasked, probably even more so for his two offerings on MFTE.  Then out of nowhere, the first Frehley's Comet album comes out and it's kick ass.  Then Second Sighting (aka the Todd Howarth solo album) was pretty lackluster.  Trouble Walkin' was hit-or-miss.  20 years later, Anomaly comes out and it's fantastic.  I missed Space Invader, so I need to check that out.  So it seems that he starts out great, then tanks quickly on subsequent efforts, each time he resurfaces.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: May 04, 2016, 09:03:59 AM »
It's interesting how it goes.  You've got his solo album, which is killer.  Then some decent songs on Dynasty.  Then it goes downhill on Unmasked, probably even more so for his two offerings on MFTE.  Then out of nowhere, the first Frehley's Comet album comes out and it's kick ass.  Then Second Sighting (aka the Todd Howarth solo album) was pretty lackluster.  Trouble Walkin' was hit-or-miss.  20 years later, Anomaly comes out and it's fantastic.  I missed Space Invader, so I need to check that out.  So it seems that he starts out great, then tanks quickly on subsequent efforts, each time he resurfaces.

Sounds like he is inconsistent lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #270 on: May 04, 2016, 09:08:56 AM »

Sounds like he is inconsistent lol

One of the things I've always loved about Ace are his solos. Sure he wrote some pretty killer riffs and rhythms, but those solos were pretty unique and I always loved learning to play them. He hasn't been too consistent over the years as far as quality, but when he hit the mark, he nailed it.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #271 on: May 04, 2016, 09:12:24 AM »
For Second Sighting, it's been well-documented that Ace was pretty far gone during this period.  Not to mention, the record label wanted a new album out before they went out to support Iron Maiden.  So, it was a total rush job where, aside from singing, Ace is barely on the album.  I like the Todd songs.  The Ace songs are pretty meh for me. 

I've yet to check out Anomaly, Space Invader or the covers album.  Worth checking out?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #272 on: May 04, 2016, 09:16:21 AM »
One of the things I always loved about Ace's solos is how he takes the same probably 6-10 licks, and recycles them over and over and over a thousand times in his solos, but they somehow never sounds samey or tired.

For Second Sighting, it's been well-documented that Ace was pretty far gone during this period.  Not to mention, the record label wanted a new album out before they went out to support Iron Maiden.  So, it was a total rush job where, aside from singing, Ace is barely on the album.  I like the Todd songs.  The Ace songs are pretty meh for me. 

I've yet to check out Anomaly, Space Invader or the covers album.  Worth checking out?

Yeah, I can't remember the last time I listened to SS, aside from It's Over Now.

Anomaly was pretty good, and everything I've heard from Origins Vol 1 has been pretty solid.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #273 on: May 04, 2016, 09:21:39 AM »

Done!!  Great idea, and I wish I thought of it first.

As for Ace, I agree with the "6 - 10 licks".  There are no really "lyrical" solos, ala "November Rain", but he's got some classic stuff in there.  I used to have FC and SS on vinyl, but never got around to getting them on CD; not really interested in someone else singing if it's not Gene or Paul, if that makes sense.   Anomaly and Space Invader are really strong, though.  Good stuff, and while I don't listen to them every day, they are good.   I have Origins, I just haven't listened to it yet.  Waiting for a long enough drive.  :) 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #274 on: May 04, 2016, 09:26:14 AM »
Also, I just listened to the Russ Ballard version of In the Night for the first time.  Usually, I feel like Ace has had a pretty good track record of making covers sound better than the original (Do Ya, Fox On the Run, etc), but this one is a tough call.

Also, it's cool listening to something like Calling to You, from the FC album.  Todd and Ace both play half of the solo, but it's clearly obvious from listening, which one plays which half of the solo.  That's how identifiable his style is.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #275 on: May 04, 2016, 09:26:37 AM »
Anomaly is OK. Never checked out his last album. The track or two that I sampled were terrible.

Off of Second Sighting, I love Loser In A Fight and The Acorn Is Spinning.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #276 on: May 04, 2016, 11:00:11 AM »
"Naked City" Trivia:  Despite playing on three of the five studio songs on Alive II, all four new songs on "Killers", and several solos on "Creatures" that didn't make the final album, all uncredited, this is the only OFFICIAL Bob Kulick credit in the Kiss catalogue (and he didn't play on the song!).

9. Alive II Side Four (1977): A departure from Alive! – which purported to present a full Kiss show across four album sides – Alive II was a collection of live songs from the three post-Alive! albums, albeit also presented in a loose “concert” order, and not always “live”.  The fourth side consisted of five studio songs, recorded in September of 1977, about six months after Love Gun.  Two songs from Paul (one a cover), two songs from Gene, and one from Ace.   Ace’s “Rocket Ride” gets all the publicity – at this point, only the second lead vocal from Ace, after “Shock Me” – and it’s a very good song, but for me, the other three originals are the highlight.  I love “All American Man”, and thought it was Kiss at its arrogant, swaggering best.  “Rockin’ In The U.S.A.” is sort of jokey, but it’s a good song in the vein of “Let Me Go Rock and Roll”, and “Larger Than Life” is what “Got Love For Sale” or “Almost Human” SHOULD have been, vintage Gene.   The sound on these tracks - they were recorded in a theater in New Jersey (as were two songs that were presented as 'live' on the live portion of the record) - is excellent, and marks the first appearance of Bob Kulick on a Kiss record, albeit uncredited.  I liked “Any Way You Want It” because it was different and kind of a better sequel to “Then She Kissed Me”. For those familiar, it’s very close to the Dave Clark Five original, and is all Paul. 

Trivia:  What were the two songs from these sessions that were later passed off as "live" on the live portion of the record? 

8. Music From The Elder (1981):   This is another album that is of it’s context.   At the time, I was a massive Kiss fan, but I had just had my heart broken by them.   Peter Criss did not play on the last two records!   Ace was MIA!  But, as fate has it, I was just getting into prog, having been introduced to this odd band called “Genesis”.   So when my favorite – but slightly estranged - band decided to make a concept album?  This was like the best of all worlds! I’m in!   I was still unsure about this new guy, “The Fox”, but when I heard the opening notes of “The Oath” (the US LP has a different track list/order than the international and subsequent CD versions), I was convinced.  I could live with Paul's falsetto as long as the music kicked as like it did (and it did).   Of course, the less said about “fanfare” (in lower italics on the sleeve; artsy!) the better, but then came “Just A Boy”, which could have been lifted directly from Paul’s solo album (a good thing).   Likewise, several of the Gene songs could have been outtakes from his solo album.  There are still issues; there’s a ton of guitar on there that isn’t Ace (though allegedly he plays on all but two songs), and I could do without “Mr. Blackwell”, another of my top five least favorite Kiss songs – though in all fairness, when I listened back, the vocal and lyrics are lame, but the background music in the second half of the song is better than I remember.  The album clearly tries too hard, and it’s clearly Kiss out of their element (Lou Reed?) but it’s a testament to how good the band really is that they could extend so far and yet still have a number of classic, powerful tunes.   I think the “Only You”/”Under The Rose” sequence – even with the copped riff in “…Rose” - is as good a pairing as “Detroit…”/”King…”.   I’m serious.

Trivia:  What are the three instrumentals in the Kiss studio catalogue?

7. Paul Stanley (1978):  Clearly, my favorite of the solo albums, and one of my favorites in the entire catalogue.  Other than “Hold Me, Touch Me” which I can’t stand, this album is strong top to bottom.  There are no “token” songs, there are no cover songs (the only one of the solo albums to say that) and very few co-writers (Mikel Japp co-wrote three of the nine songs).  Unlike some of Paul’s later work, it sounds timeless and it is one of the albums I still listen to regularly to this day.   Favorites for me are “Take Me Away”, “Love In Chains”, “Goodbye”, and “Tonight You Belong To Me”.   There’s really not a lot to say about this album; it’s not star-studded – though Carmine Appice drums on one song - there isn’t a lot of controversy about it, and he doesn’t stretch too far out of his sweet spot, but for a band like Kiss, this is really the charm of the record. 

Trivia:   Three women sing back up on the second song, “Move On”.  You don't have to name them, but what role do they play in bigger picture of “Kisstory”?   Bonus question:  What is unique about “Dark Light”, from “…The Elder”?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #277 on: May 04, 2016, 11:08:27 AM »
Well the "live" studio tracks were Hard Luck Woman and Tomorrow And Tonight.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #278 on: May 04, 2016, 11:10:42 AM »
Three instrumentals are:

Love Theme From Kiss
Fanfare
Escape from the Island

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #279 on: May 04, 2016, 11:13:19 AM »
What about Carr Jam? Yes, it's just drums, but still an instrumental. Or are we just going to call it a solo track?