Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200767 times)

Offline shadow1psc

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with trailer!)
« Reply #6685 on: January 19, 2016, 08:09:58 AM »
I used to only embrace music in the shape of metal, technical metal and black metal, but my musical tastes has more or less metamorphosed the last 10 years. Although I still listen to bands like Emperor, Satyricon, Entomed, Sepultura and At the gates etc., today I am more into ambient, soundtrack movie music, melodic rock, and prog. Apart from DT, figuring on my playlist today are Gazpacho, Steven Wilson, Gustavo Santaolalla ("the last of us" soundtrack), Circus Maximus, Anathema, The Magnificent and Ulver.

My point is:

10 years ago the technical metal and prog used to be my favorite part of Dream Theater. Now it is the softer, melodic and more AOR parts that gets my attention. I used to ignore "Falling into infinity"; it was not to my preconceived taste and thereby I "searched" for evidence of not liking the album. Today, it is one of my favorite albums - it think it is excellent.  I will therefore be interesting from a philosophical point to see what people think about the Astonishing in a 10 years time, considering the change in the maturity (or immaturity) of the listener in that time frame. As of now, because of its diversity,  this album really suits my taste in music.

I can relate to this. I used to shun songs that had moments of too much mainstream, or felt too.... I guess 'un metal'. A good example would be Innocence Faded - the section with "Beginnings get complicated...". It would make me physically cringe. It still kinda does, but I've learned to stop caring about preconceived notions of what sounds cool, or metal, or rock, and to take things in a broader context.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #6686 on: January 19, 2016, 08:12:39 AM »
I feel like Mangini sounds like a kid just banging away at his new drum set.

I'm no Mangini lover, but seriously? Portnoy used one fill all the time and you insult Mangini's fills?  :justjen

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #6687 on: January 19, 2016, 08:17:03 AM »
Well, THAT was disappointing :tdwn

Why?

I didn't really hear anything different than anything off of DT12 with MOB. Maybe within context of entire album it will resonate better with me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6688 on: January 19, 2016, 08:18:41 AM »

I'm no Mangini lover, but seriously? Portnoy used one fill all the time and you insult Mangini's fills?  :justjen

Someone insults Mangini's fills, so you insult Portnoy's fills? Yeah, that's way better. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #6689 on: January 19, 2016, 08:21:11 AM »

Someone insults Mangini's fills, so you insult Portnoy's fills? Yeah, that's way better. :lol

I love Portnoy. But fills were reeeeeeally not his strong suite. Especially post TOT.

Offline thosava

« Reply #6690 on: January 19, 2016, 08:27:15 AM »
I have listened to it 4 times, and i will not listen to either MoB or TGoM again before the album drops. As for MoB, i liked a few parts and found a few parts to be uninteresting. I actually liked that badass riff/part (in the beginning) better in the context of the trailer than in the song itself wich is a bit disappointing. I loved the intro and the instrumental section. The vocals in the first verse sounded very lifeless. I loved the chaotic parts, but the chorus was just kind of there. I liked TGOM much better. I hope and believe that MoB fits better in the context of the album :tup

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #6691 on: January 19, 2016, 08:29:07 AM »
Fills or no fills Portnoy wrote some great drum lines.   Portnoy did about 10 fills alone at the end of Finally Free so I'm not sure where this "one drum fill" thing is coming from.    I can't really tell what Mangini is trying to do on this song other than play fast and hard.

I just really can't stand the chorus of this song.  There is no emotion, sounds very lifeless.

The rest is growing on me a bit, and I actually think the verse after the first chorus is pretty killer.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6692 on: January 19, 2016, 08:29:32 AM »

I love Portnoy. But fills were reeeeeeally not his strong suite. Especially post TOT.

I disagree. His work is hugely underrated, including a lot of the later stuff. MM's style has mostly quite bothered me on DT albums actually, both for the new stuff, and his interpretation on the older stuff.
I largely enjoy what he's done on TA though, probably because it feels more in line with that classic era DT.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #6693 on: January 19, 2016, 08:36:43 AM »
I guess I'm one of the few that actively tries not to compare the two. I'll just be enjoying both era's albums equally.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #6694 on: January 19, 2016, 08:41:13 AM »
Every drummer has fills that become somewhat repetitious. Gavin Harrison has fills that are repetitive, the snare rolls with tom hits are his fill and he uses them so often that I can tell when they are coming. I think we just get so used to it after awhile that its second nature to us. A casual fan or passerby wouldn't be able to pick out the fills or call them repetitive, we are just used to them.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #6695 on: January 19, 2016, 08:41:27 AM »
I've generally enjoyed MM's drumming but everything about this song rubbed the wrong way when I first heard it and that included MM's drumming.

I will say that after multiple listens the song continues to grow on me so perhaps this album is a major GROWER and I need to withhold rash responses to songs until repeat listens.   

The Great Debate part, the second verse, and the Petrucci solo are all great.  The chorus and the instrumental breakdown are dissapointments.  There is not a moment on SFAM that sounds that lifeless... Maybe not a fair comparison but I expect greatness from this album given the level of effort put into it and I believed they were on the right track with TGOM.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6696 on: January 19, 2016, 08:45:36 AM »
A note on the Moment of Betrayal performance:  This one is a bit of a borderline call, but reposting personal recordings of the Eddie Trunk performance, in whole or in part, will NOT be allowed at this time.  Despite that the song has now been performed publicly, as far as I know, the stream of the show is not allowed to be recorded and rebroadcast by people.  This was a one-off performance and is owned by the Eddie Trunk show.  If and when it becomes available for re-streaming, it may be posted.  Until then, it is out of bounds.  Thanks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #6697 on: January 19, 2016, 08:49:52 AM »
I enjoy and appreciate both MM and MP's work and interpretations. They're both very talented and interesting, and bring something different to the table.

I love Mangini's work on this track in particular though.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6698 on: January 19, 2016, 08:52:29 AM »
A note on the Moment of Betrayal performance:  This one is a bit of a borderline call, but reposting personal recordings of the Eddie Trunk performance, in whole or in part, will NOT be allowed at this time.  Despite that the song has now been performed publicly, as far as I know, the stream of the show is not allowed to be recorded and rebroadcast by people.  This was a one-off performance and is owned by the Eddie Trunk show.  If and when it becomes available for re-streaming, it may be posted.  Until then, it is out of bounds.  Thanks.

The whole show can be downloaded here from Eddie Trunk's archive:

*snip

EDIT by admin:  See my post on the subject.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:57:00 AM by bosk1 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline dparrott

« Reply #6699 on: January 19, 2016, 08:58:31 AM »
That beat change in verse 2!!! :metal

The first pre-chorus reminds me of Megadeth's Breakpoint a bit.

This is straight up DT with some extras mixed in, and that's not a bad thing for me.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline emtee

« Reply #6700 on: January 19, 2016, 09:01:27 AM »
I guess it's inevitable (forevermore) that comparisons will be made and people will have a favorite. I find the drumming on this to be
in line with all his other DT work. Linear, speedy, efficient and lined up in unison with the others. It doesn't stand out to me or
"pop" if you will, it blends at high speed like cylinders in an engine.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6701 on: January 19, 2016, 09:03:26 AM »
Listened this morning.

Holy crap, that was pretty good.  Can't wait for this thing to drop.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6702 on: January 19, 2016, 09:07:03 AM »

*snip

Okay, thanks for that.  But here's the deal:  That is a fan archive, not the official Eddie Trunk archive.  Once it is officially put out there, it will be fair game.  But for now, no go.  But any of you can feel free to post once the official archive goes, or if there are any other performances that are actually officially put out there for consumption.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:57:16 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #6703 on: January 19, 2016, 09:09:24 AM »
I guess it's inevitable (forevermore) that comparisons will be made and people will have a favorite.

Or until MM's been in the band for a good while. I mean, people don't compare JR with his predecessors as much as they used to.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #6704 on: January 19, 2016, 09:11:26 AM »
I guess I'm one of the few that actively tries not to compare the two. I'll just be enjoying both era's albums equally.

I'm the same.

A casual fan or passerby wouldn't be able to pick out the fills or call them repetitive, we are just used to them.

I'm not sure if I'd call myself a casual fan, but I guess since I'm not a drummer I never thought MP's fills were repetitive. As long as they work in the context of the song, it's fine by me.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #6705 on: January 19, 2016, 09:11:47 AM »
First off - Moment of Betrayal - I liked the song, nothing too groundbreaking or different, but its a nice prog-metal track with some great playing and a good hook. From what it sounds like, this is one of the heavier tracks on the record, so those hoping for something different, it seems like the album as a whole will deliver that.

Second - been listing to the interview with Trunk, definitely worth checking out, good stuff from JP and JR.

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #6706 on: January 19, 2016, 09:12:16 AM »
He will be defenseless
Out of guards, he'll put up a fight
There will be no witness
They will call you a hero tonight

Mostly right, just a minor correction-

He will be defenseless
I'll look on
Say I put up a fight

There will be no witness
They will call you a hero tonight

Also the chorus says secrets told, not secret told, but that's pretty minor.

Are you sure of that? It sounds pretty off to me :sad:

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #6707 on: January 19, 2016, 09:20:25 AM »
*snip
Hey be careful, this link is not official, it's a site run by a fan, so it may be considered a leak... Just sayin'
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:57:36 AM by bosk1 »
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6708 on: January 19, 2016, 09:21:34 AM »
Are you sure of that? It sounds pretty off to me :sad:

That's taken from the actual lyrics, so yeah.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6709 on: January 19, 2016, 09:28:45 AM »
*snip
Hey be careful, this link is not official, it's a site run by a fan, so it may be considered a leak... Just sayin'

Yes, thank you for that.  I edited my post.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:57:50 AM by bosk1 »

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #6710 on: January 19, 2016, 09:31:35 AM »
I think the whole 'MM stuff is lifeless/MP stuff was great even though less technical' may be rooted in cymbal usage and volume.

With MP you can easily tell if its a verse riff or a chorus or a balls to the wall interlude just by his cymbal choice and dynamics. He would even let you know whether its just a passing fill somewhere or its the drummer moment of the whole night! He used them as compositional tools.

While MM does that too (cases in point IT intro, OTBOA) it is scarce in comparison. Sometimes his verse, chorus and interlude cymbal choice and dynamic is the same (cases in point most of DT12). And with the cymbal volume being low the dynamic becomes even less prominent as it happens a little in the new tracks.

This problem does disappear in BTFW which is to date the best MM sound with DT and we really see Mangini shine through. But still his Finally Free fills leave me wanting there.

I may be wrong here but this is what I am guessing. Btw I have always been excited about the different flavor that MM keeps bringing to the band compared to the past material and that won't be changing anytime soon.
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #6711 on: January 19, 2016, 09:32:32 AM »
Since I'm running through the whole discography (one album per day), I'm refusing to listen to anything released until TA drops. Based on comments though, MoB sounds promising!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6712 on: January 19, 2016, 09:35:44 AM »
Listened to MoB this morning with really really crappy audio, and thought then that it was a really dull track. But I thought that was unfair and waited until I got home so that I could hear it with "proper" sound.

I actually think this track is alright. I like the main melody, the one in the beginning. The chorus is nice. I disagree with those saying that the instrumental section feels forced. I actually think it fits rather well both from a song-structural perspective and a thematic perspective, given what's going on in the lyrics. And the JM soloing was great, that was really fun to hear. I only wish that Petrucci would have held back for once and let Myung handle it by himself. The pre-choruses were also quite nice, and blended some cool melodies with decent silly lyrics.

As to things I didn't like. The first verse is a bit boring, and the second verse is an absolute mess in every way. And the Metallica-ish bad-ass riff in the beginning did nothing for me and struck me as a bit lazy. And I absolutely agree with someone a while back who said that JLB is over produced.

Other than that, I liked this one. I didn't love it, but it was fine.

I'm not sure if I'd call myself a casual fan, but I guess since I'm not a drummer I never thought MP's fills were repetitive. As long as they work in the context of the song, it's fine by me.

I am both a non-casual fan and a drummer, or at least used to be, and even I have never noticed this whole repetitive fill thing.

Offline obelix5150

« Reply #6713 on: January 19, 2016, 09:36:13 AM »
I think the whole 'MM stuff is lifeless/MP stuff was great even though less technical' may be rooted in cymbal usage and volume.

With MP you can easily tell if its a verse riff or a chorus or a balls to the wall interlude just by his cymbal choice and dynamics. He would even let you know whether its just a passing fill somewhere or its the drummer moment of the whole night! He used them as compositional tools.

While MM does that too (cases in point IT intro, OTBOA) it is scarce in comparison. Sometimes his verse, chorus and interlude cymbal choice and dynamic is the same (cases in point most of DT12). And with the cymbal volume being low the dynamic becomes even less prominent as it happens a little in the new tracks.

This problem does disappear in BTFW which is to date the best MM sound with DT and we really see Mangini shine through. But still his Finally Free fills leave me wanting there.

I may be wrong here but this is what I am guessing. Btw I have always been excited about the different flavor that MM keeps bringing to the band compared to the past material and that won't be changing anytime soon.

Something is definitely up with MM's cymbals but I don't think it's how he plays them. His crash cymbals always just sound so small in the mix, like he's either using a super cheap small 12" crash or it's just not mic'd well at all. This was definitely the case on Dramatic Turn (where I thought all of his cymbals sounded pretty cheap and not so greatly recorded), was slightly fixed on DT12, and was definitely not an issue on BTFW. But like, listen to the first big hits of Moment of Betrayal.. everything sounds huge and massive, except for his crash cymbals. Kind of bothers me.. but not enough to change my opinion that MoB is absolutely sick haha! In general though I think MM's cymbals could sound bigger and less insignificant in the mix, especially given how much genuinely cool intricate stuff eh does with them.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6714 on: January 19, 2016, 09:38:50 AM »
Awesome song! Chorus is not my favourite, but I really like the song as a whole.

I like the drumming here. Portnoy is probably my favourite drummer ever as he always has a certain degree of "catchyness" to his drums. But that doesn't mean that I do not love Mangini's work. DT12 had some awesome Mangini parts and Moment of Betrayal drumming sounds awesome to me. I think the drums flows extremely well with the music and there are plenty of little dynamics that keep my attention.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6715 on: January 19, 2016, 09:41:01 AM »
But like, listen to the first big hits of Moment of Betrayal.. everything sounds huge and massive, except for his crash cymbals.

This I agree with. Those are some really weak sounding crash hits. Like the cymbals were still grumpy over having to get out of bed early.

Offline shadow1psc

« Reply #6716 on: January 19, 2016, 09:42:53 AM »
But like, listen to the first big hits of Moment of Betrayal.. everything sounds huge and massive, except for his crash cymbals.

This I agree with. Those are some really weak sounding crash hits. Like the cymbals were still grumpy over having to get out of bed early.

I would be willing to bet this is largely due to the compression of the stream. The first thing to get murdered when compressing below 240kbps is the high frequencies.

Offline V_R11

« Reply #6717 on: January 19, 2016, 09:45:35 AM »
How can james labrie sound "overproduced"? Good god!  :facepalm:

For me, he's sounding better than ever!

Unlike some of the DT fandom I've got mad respect for LaBrie, but he DOES sound overproduced to me. I hope it's just the bad audio quality

Seasons change and so can I

Offline obelix5150

« Reply #6718 on: January 19, 2016, 09:46:48 AM »

I would be willing to bet this is largely due to the compression of the stream. The first thing to get murdered when compressing below 240kbps is the high frequencies.

That's my first instinct as well, if there wasn't precedence for MM's cymbals sounding lackluster on DT recordings... Frankly even on the Gift of Music his crashes don't sound very big - but it doesn't matter as much on a song like that.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #6719 on: January 19, 2016, 09:53:27 AM »

I find Mangini to actually be more musical than Portnoy. When you tune in and really listen and study to what he's doing its amazing. And I found that watching his Enemy Inside video I discovered even more cool things that I can now hear when I put the track on. Love these things! :tup :tup