Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200729 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with trailer!)
« Reply #6055 on: January 14, 2016, 08:48:29 AM »
Just like how the majority of the reaction to TGOM was nitpicking about one JLB word, the majority of the trailer reaction is nitpicking about something that's not even the band's "fault", namely the animation. I agree that it's not the best I've seen, but this trailer has given the vast majority of us our first taste of other tracks on the new album aside from TGOM. The visuals and narration are secondary to the music, as should be the case for the entire album.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6056 on: January 14, 2016, 09:01:26 AM »
I find it fascinating that alot of people are willing to let something like a cheesy trailer tarnish their idea of what the album MIGHT be like.

If you go into it with this negative attitude you aren't going to come out of it with much of a positive opinion.
I didn't come into any of this wanting to be negative. That's just my honest reaction to what we've seen so far.

Let me ask you; what is the point of a trailer if you're supposed to just completely disregard it? Why do you think a trailer wouldn't be at all representative of the thing it's a trailer for?

I've said this over. And over. And over. When the album comes out, I'm going to listen to it with an open mind, wanting to absolutely love it. If it's great, then I'm not going to care about the quality of a pre-release trailer. At the moment though, since we haven't the album yet, the pre-release material is all I currently have to go on.

It's possible that it's just a bad trailer! I've seen terrible trailers for things I ended up really liking before. It happens. Hopefully this is one of those times.

You know, I actually agree with all TL wrote here. Who said people who disliked the animation or narration or whatever in the trailer has already allowed it to affect their thoughts of an album? Some people, including me, thought that most of the animation in the trailer wasn't too good, and posted their honest opinion in the thread that is created to discuss everything related to the album, only to get told that they basically (I'm probably paraphrasing here) shouldn't discuss the video because the album is about music and all that.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #6057 on: January 14, 2016, 09:09:40 AM »
Just like how the majority of the reaction to TGOM was nitpicking about one JLB word, the majority of the trailer reaction is nitpicking about something that's not even the band's "fault", namely the animation. I agree that it's not the best I've seen, but this trailer has given the vast majority of us our first taste of other tracks on the new album aside from TGOM. The visuals and narration are secondary to the music, as should be the case for the entire album.

I think you mean the minority of reactions, because in both case I feel that the majority of reactions have been positive. Which is why I'm wondering why people focus so much about the negative opinions. It's better to focus on the excitement that the campaign brings you than getting irritated by a few people that have some reservations about what they've seen so far. If they don't like something, just let them not like it. They have the right to and it's no big deal, really.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 09:17:25 AM by CDrice »

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #6058 on: January 14, 2016, 09:15:16 AM »
You may be astonished to know that I am not planning on new themes.
Boooooooooo
Yeah, booo.   I've really enjoyed the transitions as each album comes out. Is it a lot of work to create a new theme?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6059 on: January 14, 2016, 09:23:20 AM »
Boooooooooo
Yeah, booo.   I've really enjoyed the transitions as each album comes out. Is it a lot of work to create a new theme?
I honestly don't know.  I'm not the one who makes them, since I don't know how.  That is why *I* am not planning on any new themes.  Whether the guy who actually makes them is, ...we'll just have to wait and see.  :neverusethis:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline shadow1psc

« Reply #6060 on: January 14, 2016, 09:41:48 AM »
Boooooooooo
I honestly don't know.  I'm not the one who makes them, since I don't know how.  That is why *I* am not planning on any new themes.  Whether the guy who actually makes them is, ...we'll just have to wait and see.  :neverusethis:

What you did there. I see it.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6061 on: January 14, 2016, 10:04:18 AM »
Most who complain about the animations, myself included, also say that the music is more important and that we'll wait to judge the album until we hear it. I think you guys are focusing on our negative points on things and somehow miss that we're all (mostly) on the same page when it comes to the music. Which is what you all keep saying is the most important.

Just like how the majority of the reaction to TGOM was nitpicking about one JLB word,

Oh, the weird effect is all over his singing in that song, it's just worst on that word.

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #6062 on: January 14, 2016, 10:21:51 AM »
The rules need to be changed banning the discussion of anything being cheesy.    Cheesy is actually not a word except in the context of pizza or other food.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #6063 on: January 14, 2016, 10:23:05 AM »
Partially unrelated, I always wondered what it was about fantasy plotlines that some, if not many people just want to keep as far away from their music as possible. It seems acceptable in novel or film, say, Lord of the Rings or some such, but what is it about this genre of story-telling that makes people "cringe" when it enters their music? I've talked to plenty of people who love the LOTR franchise, but run for the hills when Rhapsody of Fire is mentioned.

I assume it all comes down to how well the medium is at telling a coherent story. Perhaps there's something about music that makes any potential narrative take a backseat to the actual composition in the minds of most people. I'm not much different in that regard. I understand the point of being turned off by the idea of a concept where its ideas are being presented as more profound than they really are, but in the case of TA, I haven't really seen any hint of that so far. We have a general idea of the story-line and the themes its going to be trying to convey, but until we hear the whole thing, we won't get the full picture just yet.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #6064 on: January 14, 2016, 10:24:05 AM »
The rules need to be changed banning the discussion of anything being cheesy.    Cheesy is actually not a word except in the context of pizza or other food.

I'd ban you for mentioning pizza in this super serious majestic discussion about the best band on the planet.

:neverusethis:

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #6065 on: January 14, 2016, 10:25:14 AM »
Most who complain about the animations, myself included, also say that the music is more important and that we'll wait to judge the album until we hear it. I think you guys are focusing on our negative points on things and somehow miss that we're all (mostly) on the same page when it comes to the music. Which is what you all keep saying is the most important.

Just like how the majority of the reaction to TGOM was nitpicking about one JLB word,

Oh, the weird effect is all over his singing in that song, it's just worst on that word.

But didn't bosk ask the band and they confirmed that no effects were used?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6066 on: January 14, 2016, 10:26:11 AM »
It's a trailer.

Not for a movie, or a TV show, or a video game.  But for an album of music.

In other words, it's a video representation of something that is in itself purely audio.

So I don't care if it looks cheesy, or fantastic, or awful, or not bad, because it is, in any real measure of the thing itself, entirely irrelevant.

Have you ever seen a trailer for a book?  I have.  They are, for better or for worse, roughly equivalent to this.

It is what it is.  Which is to say, it's irrelevant.  Just something to keep remembering that there is a new DT release on the way.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #6067 on: January 14, 2016, 10:30:03 AM »
Partially unrelated, I always wondered what it was about fantasy plotlines that some, if not many people just want to keep as far away from their music as possible. It seems acceptable in novel or film, say, Lord of the Rings or some such, but what is it about this genre of story-telling that makes people "cringe" when it enters their music? I've talked to plenty of people who love the LOTR franchise, but run for the hills when Rhapsody of Fire is mentioned.

I assume it all comes down to how well the medium is at telling a coherent story. Perhaps there's something about music that makes any potential narrative take a backseat to the actual composition in the minds of most people. I'm not much different in that regard. I understand the point of being turned off by the idea of a concept where its ideas are being presented as more profound than they really are, but in the case of TA, I haven't really seen any hint of that so far. We have a general idea of the story-line and the themes its going to be trying to convey, but until we hear the whole thing, we won't get the full picture just yet.

Also what if DT made something like "The messiah" by Handel.   I know I would love it but this forum would have a cow.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6068 on: January 14, 2016, 10:31:00 AM »
It's a trailer.

Not for a movie, or a TV show, or a video game.  But for an album of music.

In other words, it's a video representation of something that is in itself purely audio.

So I don't care if it looks cheesy, or fantastic, or awful, or not bad, because it is, in any real measure of the thing itself, entirely irrelevant.

Have you ever seen a trailer for a book?  I have.  They are, for better or for worse, roughly equivalent to this.

It is what it is.  Which is to say, it's irrelevant.  Just something to keep remembering that there is a new DT release on the way.

Stop being so rational.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6069 on: January 14, 2016, 10:31:42 AM »
Boooooooooo

I'll just XD you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #6070 on: January 14, 2016, 10:44:30 AM »
20 min to countdown in Oslo and Trondheim.⏰

Offline thosava

« Reply #6071 on: January 14, 2016, 10:48:38 AM »
I wish i wasn't in school away from Oslo.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6072 on: January 14, 2016, 10:53:59 AM »

You are correct.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #6073 on: January 14, 2016, 10:58:53 AM »
I wonder why people are talking about trailer and not, for example,  about additional personas on the album. Didn't someone say there is female vocalist for one of female characters? Or was that in my dreams  :huh:
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6074 on: January 14, 2016, 11:01:36 AM »
No, James does all the vocals himself.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #6075 on: January 14, 2016, 11:02:23 AM »
I wonder why people are talking about trailer and not, for example,  about additional personas on the album. Didn't someone say there is female vocalist for one of female characters? Or was that in my dreams  :huh:

James is impersonnating all the characters. However in a french interview that was linked earlier in this thread, Jordan mentionned that there was a female soprano singer on the album. I'm not really sure what she'll do though. Maybe she's there just to add vocal texture.

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #6076 on: January 14, 2016, 11:04:11 AM »
I did :D There is a soprano but I'm pretty sure it's for backing vocals. James stated he did all the voices of all the characters. They wanted to invite a female singer but as there are many parts, they wanted the Astonishing to be a full DT album.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline thosava

« Reply #6077 on: January 14, 2016, 11:04:47 AM »
Must be a part of the choir. Maybe she gets some kind of "solo" spot?

Offline ericoml

« Reply #6078 on: January 14, 2016, 11:06:00 AM »
The Norway listening party will be discussed here? Who goes there are now free to comment the album? I think that Noxon ad brosk can comment everything from now in.. am I wrong?

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #6079 on: January 14, 2016, 11:08:55 AM »
The Norway listening party will be discussed here? Who goes there are now free to comment the album? I think that Noxon ad brosk can comment everything from now in.. am I wrong?
I think there should be separated thread for up until album comes out since there are people who don't want to hear anything that could spoil their first listen.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online mikeyd23

Offline TL

« Reply #6081 on: January 14, 2016, 11:22:30 AM »

I don't typically like that stuff in film or novels either (I've never finished a Lord of the Rings movie, even though I've tried to watch them several times. That doesn't mean I think they're bad, and they clearly resonate with a lot of people. They're just not for me).
I'm not saying that stuff is bad, or that I have a rational reason for not liking it. All I'm saying is that I've given stuff like that a shot before, and in most cases, at best it doesn't resonate with me, and I often flat-out dislike it.

If other people like it, that's great! It just doesn't appeal to me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6082 on: January 14, 2016, 11:39:16 AM »
I think there should be separated thread for up until album comes out since there are people who don't want to hear anything that could spoil their first listen.
Yes, put it in the separate thread.

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #6083 on: January 14, 2016, 12:20:16 PM »
The drums going up and down during the unison section of TGOM is amazing. MM's unique setup allows him to hit one tom at a time during a run.
There's a unison in TGOM? o.O
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #6084 on: January 14, 2016, 12:30:12 PM »
The drums going up and down during the unison section of TGOM is amazing. MM's unique setup allows him to hit one tom at a time during a run.
I wouldn't call it a unison, but there some layered guitar and keyboards parts that are playing some slightly different lines at one point, post-guitar solo.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #6085 on: January 14, 2016, 01:18:07 PM »

There's something amazing in TGOM? :neverusethis:

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6086 on: January 14, 2016, 01:26:14 PM »

Well, either they're lying, or they don't know, or James LaBrie has surgically installed some sort of robot voice-changer into his throat because that's not what a human being sounds like naturally.

Offline JMSE

« Reply #6087 on: January 14, 2016, 01:26:59 PM »
Listening to "Innocence Faded" now. If the new album has at least a tune along those lines I'll be a very happy fan. What a solo!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6088 on: January 14, 2016, 01:33:07 PM »

Well, either they're lying, or they don't know, or James LaBrie has surgically installed some sort of robot voice-changer into his throat because that's not what a human being sounds like naturally.

They've never lied to me before, so I have no reason to believe they are doing so now.  And I was told that was 100% James and the way he sung it.  And I'm not really sure why a couple of people refuse to believe that.  It isn't hard to duplicate it.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6089 on: January 14, 2016, 01:39:08 PM »
Because it sounds like he's singing through a robot. It's not really noticable when the entire band is going at it, but all through that calm section it's really obvious. It's so in your face how non natural and not quite like a human being it sounds. Am as unsure as you are, but over how this isn't being considered undesputable fact, no matter what the band says.