Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200937 times)

Offline porcacultor

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #5495 on: January 11, 2016, 10:10:48 AM »
Daryus is threatening clock guy NO, NO, NO

I think Faythe is giving herself in to save clock guy

Offline Billzo

« Reply #5496 on: January 11, 2016, 10:10:57 AM »
Heh, i was just done transcribing the video, went here and saw it was already here  :P

:lol Sorry dude, I just saw that someone requested it a few posts above mine so I listened again and typed it up.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #5497 on: January 11, 2016, 10:11:11 AM »
Absolutely love all the music in this snippet. This album is going to be a monster - cheesy lyrics or not.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5498 on: January 11, 2016, 10:12:42 AM »
Everyone is screaming cheese, which I thought would be the case since it was obvious they were making a rock opera.

But the question remains. Which is cheesier? The Astonishing? Or an Ayreon album?

Offline liran95

« Reply #5499 on: January 11, 2016, 10:13:26 AM »
Can someone please describe what's been shown in the video for those who want to avoid the snippets? Thanks!  ;D
Why don't you just watch it on mute?

Yeah, I figured it out after posting.  :facepalm:

Thanks anyway!

Offline thosava

« Reply #5500 on: January 11, 2016, 10:15:11 AM »
Heh, i was just done transcribing the video, went here and saw it was already here  :P

:lol Sorry dude, I just saw that someone requested it a few posts above mine so I listened again and typed it up.

Yeah, they should put up a warning of incredibly fast ninjas  :rollin

Offline James.v6

« Reply #5501 on: January 11, 2016, 10:15:39 AM »
I think that HEAVYBRUTHAL riff come at 0:31.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #5502 on: January 11, 2016, 10:16:26 AM »
And Clock Boy, Xander, is up.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #5503 on: January 11, 2016, 10:16:37 AM »
Say hello to Xander, the Clock guy.
And map complited...

the snippets are... :yarr :yarr :yarr :yarr
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #5504 on: January 11, 2016, 10:17:11 AM »
I like cheese, I mentioned cheese in my post because someone had posted they wouldn't be able to listen to the album if it had cheesy lyrics despite  us only having heard the lyrics to TGOM and the 3 words "Our New World" that are the only lyrics that I can hear in the snippet to make any sort of judgement on at this stage! Its almost as if some people don't want to like it! Only on DTF!

Offline thosava

« Reply #5505 on: January 11, 2016, 10:19:24 AM »
So i guess we can expect another trailer on the website before the album is released?

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #5506 on: January 11, 2016, 10:22:57 AM »
So i guess we can expect another trailer on the website before the album is released?
Their website for the new album certainly implies that.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline majo

« Reply #5507 on: January 11, 2016, 10:27:19 AM »
those drums still sound like crap  :(
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #5508 on: January 11, 2016, 10:27:46 AM »
So the video is pretty lame imo, but the music sounds great so  :lol

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #5509 on: January 11, 2016, 10:36:03 AM »
Just because I've not seen it in this thread yet...

Xander - Ravenskill
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #5510 on: January 11, 2016, 10:36:36 AM »
Where on Earth is hadi-persian? After the big reveal of his beloved clock guy!!  :biggrin:

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5511 on: January 11, 2016, 10:40:45 AM »
But the question remains. Which is cheesier? The Astonishing? Or an Ayreon album?

I often do think Ayreon is on an almost unlistanable level of cheese, so I hope The Astonishing will be better.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #5512 on: January 11, 2016, 10:43:49 AM »
On the music, there's a predominance of 7-string guitars with the orchestra following suit in the low notes... Yarrr  :xbones

Offline phospheneSOI

« Reply #5513 on: January 11, 2016, 10:44:41 AM »
The video is HILARIOUS, but I'm absolutely fine with that. So unintentionally funny, but still so excited.
I walk beside Dream Theater.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5514 on: January 11, 2016, 10:47:50 AM »

Youtube will make them sound bad anyway.  the quality drop and compression on audio on YT is enormous.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #5515 on: January 11, 2016, 10:51:18 AM »
Anyone wanna guess which songs some of those clips came from?  At least one is really obvious since it was the chorus.  :lol  Any guesses on the others?  :corn

0:00 is from Descent of the NOMACS

0:13 is Dystopian Overture, probably going to be repeated later on.

0:24 is another snippet from Dystopian Overture

0:27 has to be from Descent of the NOMACS

0:34 not sure. Maybe Dystopian Overture again

1:07 and 1:20....Dystopian Overture?

If I guess DO enough times, one of them has to be right  ;D

:lol Immediately made me think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2AWKfMvDtw
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #5516 on: January 11, 2016, 10:51:38 AM »
The snippets of music behind the video are sounding really awesome! :metal :2metal:
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #5517 on: January 11, 2016, 10:51:45 AM »
Yeah I remember how cheesy the video for 2112 was.....oh wait..there wasn't one...can't we just wait for the album and be happy that the guys are trying to keep things fresh and add some variety for us?????  Would it be better if there were no portraits maps and vids?......sheesh
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline metrojam

« Reply #5518 on: January 11, 2016, 10:52:39 AM »
Can't wait for the album release to hear the music but really have very little interest in all this "role playing fantasy world" animation and story. SFAM was a classic concept album because it dealt with a subject that was very "real world" and relevant to many MANY poeple around the world whereas this is just pure fantasy world fiction. Its great if you like that sort of thing and I know many do (and good luck to them too) but I have absolutely no interest in it.
BUT like I say, I am very excited about the MUSIC and feel that the album could well be their best for a very long time, so however cringe worthy this "trailer and animations" are, I am still super excited about the 29th :)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5519 on: January 11, 2016, 10:58:27 AM »
Can't wait for the album release to hear the music but really have very little interest in all this "role playing fantasy world" animation and story. SFAM was a classic concept album because it dealt with a subject that was very "real world" and relevant to many MANY poeple around the world whereas this is just pure fantasy world fiction. Its great if you like that sort of thing and I know many do (and good luck to them too) but I have absolutely no interest in it.
BUT like I say, I am very excited about the MUSIC and feel that the album could well be their best for a very long time, so however cringe worthy this "trailer and animations" are, I am still super excited about the 29th :)

Im not sure I agree SFAM was anything "real world" sure the emotions were (I'd imagine the emotions of the characters in this will be as well), but I don't think there is anything real world about souls living on through different people.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #5520 on: January 11, 2016, 10:59:27 AM »
Im rather interested in what the second video is now, as well as the Places section.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline erciccio

« Reply #5521 on: January 11, 2016, 10:59:38 AM »
Can't wait for the album release to hear the music but really have very little interest in all this "role playing fantasy world" animation and story. SFAM was a classic concept album because it dealt with a subject that was very "real world"

Real world? Then I'm quite happy I don't have neither a psychiatrist nor a brother...they might be quite dangerous...:)

SFAM concept was pure Brie cheese, even worse than this..and those Videos.... :( :( :( :( :(
But still, SFAM is a great album.

So close your eyes, abd begin to relax...you will soon be astonished!
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline rab7

« Reply #5522 on: January 11, 2016, 10:59:50 AM »

Noxon said this in an earlier post, but just because it's set in a futuristic environment doesn't make it any less real.

The relationships between characters, their growth, and the emotional conflict will be extremely relatable. Lord of the Rings and Star Wars are in entirely fictional universes, but the global concepts of struggle and good vs evil are always real.

Offline metrojam

« Reply #5523 on: January 11, 2016, 11:07:28 AM »

Im not sure I agree SFAM was anything "real world" sure the emotions were (I'd imagine the emotions of the characters in this will be as well), but I don't think there is anything real world about souls living on through different people.

Hundreds of thousands of people over the years have "believed" they have lived before and have undergone regression sessions to try to recall their "past lives" so i think that "story" is a little more relevant to the "real world" than the role playing fantasy story we are going to get with "The Astonishing"!!
But there you go, each to their own "real world" I guess!!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5524 on: January 11, 2016, 11:08:34 AM »
You know, I often see the same argument about the general fantasy books with magic and dragons and whatever. I mean, if you dislike the setting, then fine, alright, maybe it's not for you, but in a lot of cases isn't not about the setting at all. It could be some fantasy medieval world, it could be a sci-fi dystopian world, it could be another planet and another race entirely, it could be a realistic setting in a World War II, it could be anything - the story isn't about the world. The setting, the world are just the instruments to fledge out the story. It could be a poignant dramatic tale about the struggle of two opposite factions and how it affects people - something that often happens in the real world, hell, something that happens in some countries right now - despite the fact it's set in some future with the flying orbs that play weird noise music. You make it sound like "pure fantasy world fiction" can't be relevant to many many people around the world.

Of course, it could be a total cheese-fest, but I don't know how you can discard an important aspect of the album released by one of your favourite bands just after you found out about the setting. I'll avoid judging the story before I've heard the full story.

And yeah, SFAM is indeed a classic concept album for many of people here, but for me it's definitely not because "it dealt with a subject that was very real world". For what it's worth, all the SFAM very "real world" was just a setting too, and the story wasn't exactly about that.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 11:15:35 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5525 on: January 11, 2016, 11:09:26 AM »
role playing fantasy

I have no idea what this means in the context of this album or what we are discussing in this thread.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline majo

« Reply #5526 on: January 11, 2016, 11:11:06 AM »

Youtube will make them sound bad anyway.  the quality drop and compression on audio on YT is enormous.
not that much though... yt audio is around 150kbps which is decent - not expecting huge improvement on the CD. not as bad as dt12 but still pretty bad.
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5527 on: January 11, 2016, 11:11:45 AM »
can't we just wait for the album and be happy that the guys are trying to keep things fresh and add some variety for us?????  Would it be better if there were no portraits maps and vids?......sheesh

For working this hard to make it something new and different, the band definetely deserves my respect, which they've got. But that doesn't mean that I have to like what I see and hear when it comes to the material itself.

Hundreds of thousands of people over the years have "believed" they have lived before and have undergone regression sessions to try to recall their "past lives" so i think that "story" is a little more relevant to the "real world" than the role playing fantasy story we are going to get with "The Astonishing"!!
But there you go, each to their own "real world" I guess!!

I don't know dude, standing up against a "tyranical" government is a lot more relevant for the real world today I'd say.

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #5528 on: January 11, 2016, 11:13:23 AM »
I'm sorry, but i just LOVE IT! :laugh: ;D :o
"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #5529 on: January 11, 2016, 11:14:25 AM »
I'm just glad that I don't have to eat my man-meat! 

Really, really enjoyed the trailer.  Can't wait to hear the album and can't wait to see the full performance with the video clips (ropey animation or not)!
Shaman take my haaaaand!