Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200752 times)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #5250 on: January 09, 2016, 06:58:54 AM »
They didn't reviewed the album?

Nope... an interview done before mixing was done. One question was about the length of the album. JP did not know but guessed 2:15.

Offline Panar

• Caught In A Web
« Reply #5251 on: January 09, 2016, 07:04:57 AM »
And apparently they listened to the 9 track promo disc...

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #5252 on: January 09, 2016, 07:11:35 AM »
I wonder if they written all their post-portnoy albums like that (JP+JR writing the music alone) or if that was done specifically with this album.

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #5253 on: January 09, 2016, 07:13:39 AM »
Hey guys, I'm French and I'm an English teacher, so I could translate the article for you ;) (I already sent a PM to Panar). You could get the translation by 6-7 PM (GMT + 1)
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #5254 on: January 09, 2016, 07:18:47 AM »
I wonder if they written all their post-portnoy albums like that (JP+JR writing the music alone) or if that was done specifically with this album.

ADToE and DT12 were written in the studio with all members contributing to the process (though many ideas were taken from previous jams).

Offline ericoml

« Reply #5255 on: January 09, 2016, 07:25:24 AM »
Hey guys, I'm French and I'm an English teacher, so I could translate the article for you ;) (I already sent a PM to Panar). You could get the translation by 6-7 PM (GMT + 1)

:metal

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #5256 on: January 09, 2016, 07:41:17 AM »

:metal

THANK YOU!!!!!!!  :hefdaddy
"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5257 on: January 09, 2016, 08:11:01 AM »
Dt14 = St. Anger.

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #5258 on: January 09, 2016, 08:13:29 AM »
Dt14 = St. Anger.

WHAT!? I LOVE ST. ANGER!!!!!
"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #5259 on: January 09, 2016, 08:16:19 AM »
Dt14 = St. Anger.

After that, let's see if anyone ever bitches about MM's drum sounds on aDToE or DT12 again!
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5260 on: January 09, 2016, 09:00:54 AM »
MM throws his snare to garbage and take metal plate to hit instead.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 09:11:04 AM by YtseJamittaja »
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #5261 on: January 09, 2016, 09:07:11 AM »
Dt14 = St. Anger.

WHAT!? I LOVE ST. ANGER!!!!!

Well, you'd have nothing to complain about then, would you?  :biggrin:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5262 on: January 09, 2016, 09:09:11 AM »
All joking aside I actually do really enjoy St Anger in small doses.

It's a perfect album to listen to when you're in a foul mood. That or Iowa by SlipKnot.

Offline thosava

« Reply #5263 on: January 09, 2016, 09:10:32 AM »
I always thought many of the songs on St. Anger were quite good, just a bit too long for their content.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5264 on: January 09, 2016, 09:14:47 AM »
The one thing SA has over DM is energy in the performances. Lars - despite the shoddy drum sound - is a beast on that album. Some of his most creative drum work ever.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5265 on: January 09, 2016, 09:32:49 AM »

JP wrote the background story and all lyrics. JR & JP wrote the music together. Giving half finished ideas for David Campbell to embellish for the orchestra and choir.

Disappointed by the lack of JLB/JM lyrics :-\

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #5266 on: January 09, 2016, 09:42:10 AM »
The one thing SA has over DM is energy in the performances. Lars - despite the shoddy drum sound - is a beast on that album. Some of his most creative drum work ever.

If it wasn't for the bad production, bad drum sound, and bad singing, St. Anger would be an amazing album. The music is great if not overly long, the lyrics are great, and as you said the energy is awesome. I still vastly prefer Death Magnetic, but I think St. Anger is awesome.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5267 on: January 09, 2016, 09:42:13 AM »
I was never into JM lyrics :dunno:

The lyrics to Fatal Tragedy are no better or worse than anything else on SFAM...

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #5268 on: January 09, 2016, 09:44:31 AM »

JP wrote the background story and all lyrics. JR & JP wrote the music together. Giving half finished ideas for David Campbell to embellish for the orchestra and choir.

Disappointed by the lack of JLB/JM lyrics :-\
Me too... :o

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5269 on: January 09, 2016, 09:47:31 AM »
I was never into JM lyrics :dunno:

The lyrics to Fatal Tragedy are no better or worse than anything else on SFAM...

That's not a very representative song given that he was restricted to a narrow part of a story, which doesn't seem like something that works for JM's creative process and writing style. That said, I don't think he's significantly better than anyone else in the band for lyrics.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5270 on: January 09, 2016, 09:51:16 AM »
I think people like JMs lyrics as they tend to be more deep and poetic.

Which doesn't necessarily mean they're better.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5271 on: January 09, 2016, 09:57:22 AM »
I was hoping that Petrucci would have explained the story to other lyricists (well, at least James) so that he could have a go with a couple of songs... anyway, "sequel" to the album? 34 songs for 130+ minutes of music and still they haven't told the whole story?  :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5272 on: January 09, 2016, 10:02:18 AM »
I was hoping that Petrucci would have explained the story to other lyricists (well, at least James) so that he could have a go with a couple of songs... anyway, "sequel" to the album? 34 songs for 130+ minutes of music and still they haven't told the whole story?  :biggrin:

I was expecting that with 130+ minutes of music, he'd have to delegate some lyrical duties for sure, so that's a huge workload for one person, on top of writing the music too.
The album is good movie length, so that should well and truly be able to tell the whole story. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #5273 on: January 09, 2016, 10:13:28 AM »
I enjoy Myung's lyrical writing.  The only one I like better is JP, and that includes past and present.

Offline Wubbagubba

« Reply #5274 on: January 09, 2016, 10:20:07 AM »

The Astonishing, Pt. 2: Scenes From a Dystopia!?

Offline phospheneSOI

« Reply #5275 on: January 09, 2016, 10:31:57 AM »
I'm sure some legend did an amazing remix of St Anger where they actually rerecorded the drums and edited some of the songs... it was great...

I'm just going to google it right now...

Oh no wait, I got it wrong, they actually just redid the entire album as a band... the vocals are fine and don't sound that different to James. The drums are much better but could sound even better (think the snare is triggered?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU-UI3_6HcM
I walk beside Dream Theater.

« Reply #5276 on: January 09, 2016, 10:33:48 AM »
Here are the main facts (if you need a complete translation, it'll take some time) I have from the first page.

So you were right, they did listen to the 9 tracks and the interview was done with JP.
The beginning of the interview is about the terrorist attacks at the Bataclan, the 30th anniversary tour so I won't translate as the name of the thread is : The Astonishing.
The idea of composing a new concept album is not new, they have had it in mind for a few years and some years had passed since SFaM so it was an opportunity to catch as you can't release a concept album every two years. Moreover, John had to think about a good story in order to avoid meeting the rest of the group and saying "hey guys, I got a new concept album" without any ideas in mind.
So two years ago, he started thinking seriously about the concept and started recording on his phone (he still has the demos on his phone) and the concept, the story took one year to be created.
The rest of the group was not fully aware of what was going on inside John's mind. He just told them bits and pieces of the project but again, he wanted to have a consistant project, the way things would be set on stage, the way the concept would be revealed to the public, before explaining his ideas to the rest of the group.
Next question refers to a previous interview in 2013 where he stated he already had ideas about the next album (The Astonishing).
Then the interviewer wants to know if, by composing Illumination Theory and by playing with an orchestra on Breaking the Fourth Wall, John was not in fact "rehearsing" for his new project. And John says he wasn't, because, as a creative person, he likes art in a global way and especially science fiction, dystopias, movies, orchestras in rock music, so that's his background and his tastes that led him to create The Astonishing.

End of the first page, I'll edit or post again when I get the rest of the interview.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 10:47:52 AM by the keyboard wizard »
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #5277 on: January 09, 2016, 10:37:25 AM »

This would be the first time... ever.. And I'm surprised JM/MM/JLB didn't contribute with anything in the album..

To be more precise about the answer to your question, check these links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Dramatic_Turn_of_Events#Track_listing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_Theater_(album)#Track_listing

Btw, reading the TA's Wikipedia article, I found this:

<<The first review of the album, by Teamrock.com, was positive. Calling the album "stupefyingly complex, cinematic and ambitious almost to the point of lunacy", they gave it the rating of 8 out of 10.">>

UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #5278 on: January 09, 2016, 10:56:19 AM »

This would be the first time... ever.. And I'm surprised JM/MM/JLB didn't contribute with anything in the album..

To be more precise about the answer to your question, check these links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Dramatic_Turn_of_Events#Track_listing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_Theater_(album)#Track_listing

Btw, reading the TA's Wikipedia article, I found this:

<<The first review of the album, by Teamrock.com, was positive. Calling the album "stupefyingly complex, cinematic and ambitious almost to the point of lunacy", they gave it the rating of 8 out of 10.">>

It just seems so weird to me to think of JP and JR coming to JM and MM and just telling them "make some bass and drums" Labrie I can understand as he doesnt seem to be much involved with the music writing, but having it the way JP say it was on this album seems kinda off to me. Not saying it wouldnt be great, just feels weird for me.

Offline Panar

• Caught In A Web
« Reply #5279 on: January 09, 2016, 11:04:48 AM »
Some points (thanks @vazquez)
- It was watching a documentary of the band MUSE that JP decided to get D. Campbell in the project.
- The scenario for the shows will be impressive, with 3D projections, but it would be impossible to carry the Orchestra together - it would need 20 trucks and 15 buses more than they already need. But they won´t be using playbacks.
- But it´s possible that, down the road, they could decide to record a DVD with the whole Orchestra. And if they do that, will be really with the whole Orchestra, not only with 10 or 12 musicians, because the harmonies are too complex to be reduced.
- What they will do next? JP jokes maybe they will retire, or release a garage record, or an 'usual DT record' - "8 songs with an epic", or even part 2 of The Astonishing - it doesn´t matter. It´s not important to release better and better albums, but to remain creative.
- JP says DT is related more with a "rebel" than being part of a "empire', but there will be some surprises on the album because things will not be black and white on the story.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #5280 on: January 09, 2016, 11:09:48 AM »
- But it´s possible that, down the road, they could decide to record a DVD with the whole Orchestra. And if they do that, will be really with the whole Orchestra, not only with 10 or 12 musicians, because the harmonies are too complex to be reduced.

I'm assuming that the tour will have backing tracks to fill it out then if they are placing this much importance on the harmonies.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #5281 on: January 09, 2016, 11:10:05 AM »
No playback? So the choirs and strings that we hear on the album won't be heard live?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

« Reply #5282 on: January 09, 2016, 11:10:15 AM »
Ok I have 10min to translate p 2 and 3 : John wants to point out that it is really different from SFaM : the story is more complex so it really is a rock opera with a dedicated show which could turn into a book or a movie (I said could...).
At the beginning they wanted to hire female vocalists but they wanted to release a "Dream Theater" album so, no guests and at the end of the process, John was really astonished by the voice of James : he could sing like a woman or a 60 years old man.
Then it is all about praising James' vocal capacities.
Next question is about Richard's involvement in the process: he was the sixth member of the group and he was along John and Jordan when they started writing and demoing the album. He had to work with 570 tracks during the mixing process.
John and Jordan worked in a room with a piano and not in a studio to compose the album. As a result, the album is more melodic.
The first thing created, was the story, then they composed the music (John and Jordan) then the lyrics. Some musical themes are associated with specific characters just like in an opera.
John wrote all the lyrics and it was a kind of a demand from him and he recognize it was a little selfish but he was the first to have the idea of a rock opera.
Inspiration came from: A Clockwork Orange, Hunger Games, Star Wars, LotR or Jesus Christ Superstar as Kevin Moore and John were huge fans of the musical.
No inspiration corner except from The Wall.
On the website, eventually, we will have all the information about the concept, the story....

Ok, so far for pages 2 and 3, I'll finish what I started maybe in a few hours.

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #5283 on: January 09, 2016, 11:10:32 AM »
What they will do next? JP jokes maybe they will retire

There is a little truth in every joke :|

I hardly think they would retire, but I definitely see them doing some side projects after the tour. Maybe we will finally get JP solo album 2.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5284 on: January 09, 2016, 11:18:59 AM »
the keyboard wizard: Thanks! :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.