Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200893 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Thematt202

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #4621 on: January 02, 2016, 09:55:23 AM »
My only hope for this album is that there will be moments of epicness.  I don't mean epic as in a long song, I mean the emotional, building, crescendos found in Grand Finale/Losing Time, Finally Free and at the end of Octavarium and Illumination Theory.

This is what Dream Theater do better than any other band on the planet (IMHO).
After a few listens I got that 'epic' feeling with the choir section of TGOM, and I think there will be lots of moments that I would consider epic from the things I've read. Don't agree that DT are the absolute best at this but they sure are up there.

I can't think of another band that writes the epic building payoffs that I mentioned above.  I'm familiar with Symphony X, Rush, etc, but I'm struggling to think of anything from those bands that's anywhere near what DT do towards the end of an album.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline lightbug

« Reply #4622 on: January 02, 2016, 10:11:52 AM »
Oh, you'll hear it when James switches characters in songs...

Oh really?  :biggrin: :lol

:lol :lol :lol

Evangebrie!!

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #4623 on: January 02, 2016, 10:18:17 AM »

Maybe something similar to what we hear in The Test That Stumped Them All? Probably not as exaggerated as that, but is it a valid comparison?

Offline volwrath

« Reply #4624 on: January 02, 2016, 10:41:23 AM »

I can't think of another band that writes the epic building payoffs that I mentioned above.  I'm familiar with Symphony X, Rush, etc, but I'm struggling to think of anything from those bands that's anywhere near what DT do towards the end of an album.

I thought Call of Ktulu was a pretty epic way to end ride the lightning. Also there was Orion/damage inc as the end  to mop

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4625 on: January 02, 2016, 10:44:10 AM »

I thought Call of Ktulu was a pretty epic way to end ride the lightning. Also there was Orion/damage inc as the end  to mop

Yeah forgot to mention the classics, Call of Ktulu is one of the best. Personally I'd add Hallowed Be Thy Name and maaybe Rime of the Ancient Mariner. The Outlaw Torn is my 2nd favorite Metallica album closer and IMO pretty epic aswell.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #4626 on: January 02, 2016, 10:51:52 AM »

Oh really?  :biggrin: :lol

:lol :lol :lol

Evangebrie!!

Faythe looks like a devil bitch!
"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #4627 on: January 02, 2016, 11:07:53 AM »
My only hope for this album is that there will be moments of epicness.  I don't mean epic as in a long song, I mean the emotional, building, crescendos found in Grand Finale/Losing Time, Finally Free and at the end of Octavarium and Illumination Theory.

After a few listens I got that 'epic' feeling with the choir section of TGOM, and I think there will be lots of moments that I would consider epic from the things I've read. Don't agree that DT are the absolute best at this but they sure are up there.

For Symphony X, my favorite example of 'epic' is in The Divine Wings of Tragedy. Everything from the piano break in the main instrumental section to the end of the song is very powerful, and comes very close, if not surpasses, the sections of DT's music you brought up.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #4628 on: January 02, 2016, 11:09:24 AM »
The speechless character is probably the clock guy (that would make him even more mysterious)

There's only one thing about TA that makes me sad, and that's the fact we'll probably not hear that ''tension building'' DT did in Octavarium and ITPOE pt 2 (especially the latter one, building up the tension for like 9 mins, and then culminating with The Reckoning - the best 2 mins in DT's whole fuckin' career)
I mean, it could happen in TA, but I don't think it's possible if all songs are that short, and each one is ''a song for itself''

I'm ok with not much metal, ok with no long instrumental sections, even ok with the lack of the amount of melody development we get in 10+ min songs, but the thing I mentioned really makes me disappointed
still I hope it will be a great album
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4629 on: January 02, 2016, 11:14:59 AM »
I don't see why you think you won't get tension buildup? It's a complete story. Each song builds on the events that occured in the songs preceding, so even if they're seperate songs, it's still retains the emotions from the previous.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4630 on: January 02, 2016, 11:19:53 AM »
How do people come up with these preconceptions of the music from hearing nothing? 

Has anybody been reading what Noxon has written?   People ruin the enjoyment of a first listen before the hear the first listen.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline thosava

« Reply #4631 on: January 02, 2016, 11:21:33 AM »
Noxon, how do you feel about the individual songs? Do you think many songs will rank very high among fans (and for you)? Or do you think the album works better as a whole?

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #4632 on: January 02, 2016, 11:34:44 AM »
Noxon, how do you feel about the individual songs? Do you think many songs will rank very high among fans (and for you)? Or do you think the album works better as a whole?

This will be interesting to see, given that TA will most likely be shorter songs, which are mostly ignored in favour of epics.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4633 on: January 02, 2016, 12:00:44 PM »
I don't know where we divide DT songs into short and long, but if 7 minutes counts as short, This is the Life is in my top 10 DT songs, Another Day is pretty close too.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #4634 on: January 02, 2016, 12:02:11 PM »
This is the Life is pretty awesome by any standard.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4635 on: January 02, 2016, 12:02:32 PM »

Neal Morse, and by extension, Spock's Beard and Transatlantic.  In fact, I think the end of 6DOIT (the song) and Octavarium were heavily influenced by Mike Portnoy having worked with Neal Morse.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4636 on: January 02, 2016, 12:09:22 PM »
I wonder what would've happened if the same type of PR-scheme was used for SFAM.

Picture of "The Hypnotherapist" released:  "More like the rapist, amiright?" - "Well, it's in his title, innit?".

Picture of "Victoria" released: "Wow, she looks... wait, is that a 1920s hairstyle? Wtf is this, some kind of mafia/prohibition story? I don't get it."

Picture of "Edward" released: "Huh, whats up with the suit? He looks like straight out of the godfather. This IS a mafia story. DT has lost it. I mean, I know MP is a movie buff, but ripping of the godfather? I don't even like mafia movies!"

Location revealed - Echo's Hill: "What does that even mean?? It's like they have no knowledge of stuff that's not sound related. "echo". Geddit.

Ahahaha, it would have ACTUALLY went down that way. I'm sure of it.

Well, given the nature of the tracks, I think on the other hand the Nomacs tracks will be considered the worst ever they've done  :biggrin:

And about the build-up to a grandiose finale that Dream Theater do in their epics... yeah, that's something pretty unique to them, regardless of how other excellent epic songs from other bands develop.

I've seen mentioned Iced Earth in the comparison list, I'd suggest to check out A Question of Heaven and Come What May for songs that build up to a very strong and intense ending.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4637 on: January 02, 2016, 12:15:24 PM »
I've seen mentioned Iced Earth in the comparison list, I'd suggest to check out A Question of Heaven and Come What May for songs that build up to a very strong and intense ending.
YES, great songs.

Also, I'd add Dante's Inferno

Offline Pax

« Reply #4638 on: January 02, 2016, 12:31:21 PM »
I don't see why you think you won't get tension buildup? It's a complete story. Each song builds on the events that occured in the songs preceding, so even if they're seperate songs, it's still retains the emotions from the previous.
If I just asked you if there will be those buildups, you probably wouldn't answer, so I tried this way :p
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4639 on: January 02, 2016, 12:37:17 PM »
Well, in less than two weeks I will be able to tell you all the details you need/want. I'm guessing my review will be up then too - depending if i can get my website done by that date.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4640 on: January 02, 2016, 12:39:06 PM »
YES, great songs.

Also, I'd add Dante's Inferno

Dante's Inferno is a wonderful song, and yes it has that "Lucifer!!!" part at the end, but I don't think it has that kind of "Here it comes, the bombastic glorious ending the whole song has been building up to" vibe that you get from Octavarium, Illumination Theory or Six Degrees....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #4641 on: January 02, 2016, 01:08:24 PM »
Well, in less than two weeks I will be able to tell you all the details you need/want. I'm guessing my review will be up then too - depending if i can get my website done by that date.

:caffeine:

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #4642 on: January 02, 2016, 01:52:30 PM »

:caffeine:
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4643 on: January 02, 2016, 02:06:20 PM »
I'm excited in particular to hear the recurring themes and how they're developed/interact with each other. I wonder if we've heard any motifs already in The Gift of Music?

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #4644 on: January 02, 2016, 02:10:52 PM »
I'm excited in particular to hear the recurring themes and how they're developed/interact with each other. I wonder if we've heard any motifs already in The Gift of Music?

I think the Gabriel choir part will be his theme...
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4645 on: January 02, 2016, 02:19:09 PM »
Yes, we've already heard something that will reoccur.

Offline thosava

« Reply #4646 on: January 02, 2016, 02:28:34 PM »
Are there some themes that are played many times throughout the whole album, or are the recurring parts only played a couple of times?

Offline Pax

« Reply #4647 on: January 02, 2016, 05:06:59 PM »
Are there some themes that are played many times throughout the whole album, or are the recurring parts only played a couple of times?
It will have a motif for every major character I guess
And it will go throughout the whole song

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #4648 on: January 02, 2016, 05:22:10 PM »
The best buildup I've ever heard in a song is probably Rhapsody of Fire's "The Ancient Fires of Har-Kuun" 14-minute epic, easily the best song in their discography.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #4649 on: January 02, 2016, 05:35:29 PM »
Tell you what, you work on your site and I'll work on the review for you. Deal?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Gpals71

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4650 on: January 02, 2016, 06:10:50 PM »
Tell you what, you work on your site and I'll work on the review for you. Deal?

I was just thinking the same  ;)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4651 on: January 02, 2016, 06:30:25 PM »
Oh, the review is done. It's the site that's not.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #4652 on: January 02, 2016, 06:35:27 PM »
I'll proofread I guess. But I'll need to hear the album to see what you're trying to convey with writing.

I'll stop now
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #4653 on: January 02, 2016, 10:34:59 PM »
Yes, we've already heard something that will reoccur.

Yesss. :corn
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #4654 on: January 03, 2016, 01:45:33 AM »

Absolutely this.