Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1207058 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #3570 on: December 16, 2015, 02:20:27 PM »
For the love of everything that is holy, PLEASE include South East US states!!
Boy, no shit.  That would be awesome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #3571 on: December 16, 2015, 02:22:01 PM »
This time, they're building more hype than before for this album. They are announcing the announcement. The news are probably going to be huge. And you think it will be NA tour announcement? Guys, the world doesn't revolve around NA
They would also disappoint a lot of fans hyped for tomorrow by announcing something like that

Not saying they shouldn't tour NA, but it's not THAT important of a news story. They could do a regular update for that
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3572 on: December 16, 2015, 02:26:06 PM »
I'm with the Pax dude.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3573 on: December 16, 2015, 02:27:45 PM »
Not saying they shouldn't tour NA, but it's not THAT important of a news story. They could do a regular update for that
I get what you're saying.  Not sure why they wouldn't just release that info, instead of an announcement that they would have an announcement.

So of course it will just be tour dates.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3574 on: December 16, 2015, 02:29:04 PM »
What else can it be though? They've already announced all the important stuff for the album: title, tracklist, release date, cover, first song. Anything like lengths or a second song surely would just happen normally.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3575 on: December 16, 2015, 02:32:30 PM »
This time, they're building more hype than before for this album. They are announcing the announcement. The news are probably going to be huge. And you think it will be NA tour announcement? Guys, the world doesn't revolve around NA
They would also disappoint a lot of fans hyped for tomorrow by announcing something like that

Of course the world doesn't revolve around North America.  But given that Dream Theater is a U.S.-based band, a North America tour announcement absolutely WOULD be considered "important news" to this band.  I honestly don't know how you could think otherwise.

But I'm not saying that's what the announcement will be.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3576 on: December 16, 2015, 02:36:14 PM »
 :heart you Bosk and your small font hints
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Paintbox

« Reply #3577 on: December 16, 2015, 02:37:28 PM »
Why are you all worried about them not touring in North America? It's not like it's a band from another country that rarely tours and that go only in few places... I hope for something more interesting than tour dates

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3578 on: December 16, 2015, 02:37:52 PM »
Technically, that would be a not-hint rather than a hint.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3579 on: December 16, 2015, 02:38:25 PM »
Why are you all worried about them not touring in North America? It's not like it's a band from another country that rarely tours and that go only in few places... I hope for something more interesting than tour dates

???  Nobody posted that they are worried about the band not touring North America.  Not sure where you are getting that from.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3580 on: December 16, 2015, 02:39:09 PM »
Whatever you want to call it.

Small font telling us it may not be a tour announcement
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3581 on: December 16, 2015, 02:42:07 PM »
Would be great if they simply streamed Act 1 without any comment or introduction.

Offline Krissi91

« Reply #3582 on: December 16, 2015, 02:43:31 PM »
Because they only announced the European dates in a regular update, I don't believe they make such a big deal out of announcing the American tour.
I'm hoping for a second song, after all they have more than enough to choose from ;)
Maybe it will be the proper single with a video?

Offline Paintbox

« Reply #3583 on: December 16, 2015, 02:46:14 PM »
???  Nobody posted that they are worried about the band not touring North America.  Not sure where you are getting that from.
It seems like some are worried, maybe I misunderstood (I'm not English) but I did read something on facebook and this: https://m.reddit.com/r/Dreamtheater/comments/3wj7lc/will_there_be_a_us_astonishing_tour/
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 03:23:01 PM by Paintbox »

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #3584 on: December 16, 2015, 02:46:57 PM »
Because they only announced the European dates in a regular update, I don't believe they make such a big deal out of announcing the American tour.
I'm hoping for a second song, after all they have more than enough to choose from ;)
Maybe it will be the proper single with a video?

Didn't the news leak before they announced?

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #3585 on: December 16, 2015, 02:48:53 PM »
Would be great if they simply streamed Act 1 without any comment or introduction.

Nah, that would suck. I would have to resist the temptation to listen to the stream for about a month and a half.

Also, I don't see the point of making US tour dates a big deal. Sure, I'm biased as I'm from England, but aren't US dates pretty much a given in any full scale DT tour?

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3586 on: December 16, 2015, 02:51:38 PM »
New band member: Shawn "Clown" on Percussion :neverusethis:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #3587 on: December 16, 2015, 03:10:02 PM »
It's interesting that they're having Jordan make the announcement. Maybe it's app related? He did just release GeoShred (finally). Maybe like a new app to help us keep up with the storyline or something? That could be kinda cool.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released through my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios
www.starcommandstudios.com

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #3588 on: December 16, 2015, 03:14:50 PM »
New band member: Shawn "Clown" on Percussion :neverusethis:

Haha   :mehlin
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3589 on: December 16, 2015, 03:26:08 PM »
It's interesting that they're having Jordan make the announcement. Maybe it's app related? He did just release GeoShred (finally). Maybe like a new app to help us keep up with the storyline or something? That could be kinda cool.

AppStonishingWiz.

Kinda like when you've been needing a Wiz for so long that when you finally get to the toilet it feels Astonishing  :hat

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #3590 on: December 16, 2015, 03:42:54 PM »

Of course the world doesn't revolve around North America.  But given that Dream Theater is a U.S.-based band, a North America tour announcement absolutely WOULD be considered "important news" to this band.  I honestly don't know how you could think otherwise.

Yeah, ofc NA is important to the band, but it's not like the majority of the fanbase is American. That's why I think it's not important news, because news are made for the fans, not for their own satisfaction (I guess)

Anyways, one more reason this is NOT just a NA tour update is that you can sign up for the news, and you have to write your city so they can send you the when the news will come in your own timezone. If it was a NA tour, why the hell would non-Americans need so much to know about the update? Like, "here dude, you said you were from Serbia, this is a mail to inform you that at 7pm your local time, we will announce NA tour, be sure not to miss it "
hope you get what I tried to say xD
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #3591 on: December 16, 2015, 03:45:37 PM »

The internet is a global forum and the band has a massive global fan base.  Announcing a regional tour in this manner would be a bit of a non-event for a massive proportion (majority?) of their fans.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #3592 on: December 16, 2015, 03:48:38 PM »
Maybe they are going to announce all of their 2016 tour dates (including the US and other regions) at one time? I don't honestly know if it would be possible to have the logistics and dates worked out for the entire year of 2016 at this point, but perhaps they have.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3593 on: December 16, 2015, 04:19:36 PM »
Idk, while it likely will be the NA tour dates, something tells me it will be something completely outta left field, something that no one anticipated about The Astonisning......given that this album so far is anything but ordinary for DT.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3594 on: December 16, 2015, 04:21:25 PM »
The movie rights to "The Astonishing" have been picked up by Pixar.

I'm calling it now.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3595 on: December 16, 2015, 04:21:53 PM »
You don't announce tour dates with a live stream. Just imagine a video of a band reading a list of cities and dates for three minutes. You don't go through the hassle of a live stream to read a list.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #3596 on: December 16, 2015, 04:24:59 PM »
Tour dates of any sort doesn't seem like something DT would hype up an announcement for. But I honestly don't know what else it could be.

Especially strange that it's Jordan AND a live stream.

And then if it's app or Jordan-project related, why would the DT facebook page make an official pre-announcement like that?

:mehlin
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3597 on: December 16, 2015, 04:25:56 PM »
You don't announce tour dates with a live stream. Just imagine a video of a band reading a list of cities and dates for three minutes. You don't go through the hassle of a live stream to read a list.

Maybe it's Arhys announcing the dates!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #3598 on: December 16, 2015, 04:29:19 PM »
Maybe it's a live in-studio performance of the entire opus with full orchestra and choir, who knows  :biggrin:

Offline jsbru

« Reply #3599 on: December 16, 2015, 05:32:42 PM »
Only time will tell :neverusethis:

"IT'S ONLY A MATTER OF TEEEEEEEEEIM!" PEOPLE JUST DON'T HAVE THE TEEEEEEIM FOH MUZAK ANYMOAH"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYIPoM-WsjU

You misspelled tiiii
                             i
                              i
                               m
                                  m
                                     e
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #3600 on: December 16, 2015, 05:36:51 PM »
Only time will tell :neverusethis:

"IT'S ONLY A MATTER OF TEEEEEEEEEIM!" PEOPLE JUST DON'T HAVE THE TEEEEEEIM FOH MUZAK ANYMOAH"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYIPoM-WsjU

You misspelled tiiii
                             i
                              i
                               m
                                  m
                                     e

Haha. Well, on purpose ofc. Same way I misspelled music, for, anymore... unless you mean the tone change joke that I was too slow to catch xD

Offline jsbru

« Reply #3601 on: December 16, 2015, 05:42:13 PM »
I meant the tone change joke.

My hope is that that dead horse gets beaten for years.  :D  Because that's what internet forums are for.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jsbru

« Reply #3602 on: December 16, 2015, 05:46:54 PM »
If it's tour dates, I hope they play in St. Louis.  They haven't played here for years, and we have this as far as theaters go:

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #3603 on: December 16, 2015, 06:03:51 PM »
If it's tour dates, I hope they play in St. Louis.  They haven't played here for years, and we have this as far as theaters go:

:o  Just Beautiful.  Maybe they will play the video of the next single.  Cannot remember who it was, but someone on this forum and  close to the band had heard several of the songs and mentioned that one song in particular would make a good single and may appeal to most folks. 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #3604 on: December 16, 2015, 06:37:04 PM »
In tomorrows announcement, Jordan will announce that an announcement to end all announcements will be...

Revealed.  loltroll
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.