Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200756 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #3010 on: December 06, 2015, 02:57:13 PM »
Eren was fired in the same way that Desmond Child was fired.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3011 on: December 06, 2015, 03:03:18 PM »
I think it's okay hey "Hugh Syme'd" Hugh Syme. His work was very sloppy and not very creative on DT12. I can't believe no one saw the watermark on the one picture for example.
TA artwork looks pretty "typical" DT though.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3012 on: December 06, 2015, 05:04:14 PM »
Bit harsh to say fired. He's a young kid who DT gave a great opportunity on both DT12 and BTFW.

This is a much bigger undertaking and they had the chance to work with one of the top guys in the world. This shouldn't be seen as any kind of reflection on Eren's work which was outstanding. You could argue that the move away from Hugh Syme after all these years is a bit of a statement but I wouldn't be surprised to see him back. I thought there was some awesome artwork on DT12, just not that keen on the actual cover on that or ADTOE.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #3013 on: December 06, 2015, 05:11:25 PM »
I always found it curious that nobody ever really addressed the issue that the IT orchestra part on BTFW was completely overdubbed by the studio version. I once asked this on a thread where Eren was active, but got no answer.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline JRuless

« Reply #3014 on: December 06, 2015, 05:25:54 PM »
Just read this article. Might be some new information about a spring U.S. tour. Could be a different stage plan i.c. to the E.U. tour.

https://www.bassplayer.com/artists/1171/dream-theatre-set-to-unveil-their-double-concept-album-the-astonishing-on-january-29th/55390

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3015 on: December 06, 2015, 05:35:35 PM »
Just read this article. Might be some new information about a spring U.S. tour. Could be a different stage plan i.c. to the E.U. tour.

https://www.bassplayer.com/artists/1171/dream-theatre-set-to-unveil-their-double-concept-album-the-astonishing-on-january-29th/55390

Awesome link

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #3016 on: December 06, 2015, 05:51:40 PM »
I always found it curious that nobody ever really addressed the issue that the IT orchestra part on BTFW was completely overdubbed by the studio version. I once asked this on a thread where Eren was active, but got no answer.

We've addressed it and others concurred.  The professional approach is not to bite the hand that feeds you, thus no further response.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #3017 on: December 06, 2015, 05:59:37 PM »

Awesome link

Good to hear they'll do the whole album here in the US.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline shredd

• Always Awake
  • ROCK ON!
« Reply #3018 on: December 06, 2015, 06:11:24 PM »
Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in about this supposed "voice manipulation" theory.
Seriously, it's totally possible to do that with vocal pitch without any form of digital manipulation, I tried singing the words that everyone is saying are autotuned and I can replicate it exactly using just my voice. What your hearing on "Lions'" is called Melisma and what your hearing on "Time" is called a vocal bend (downwards in pitch in this case)

Of course, alot of vocalists do use autotune and such to correct their pitch but if I myself can sing these phrases without pitch correction then I'm sure an incredible (not to mention professional) vocalist like JLB can do it too.

I don't want to piss anyone off by saying it's definitely not autotune, but that's just some stuff to consider. Maybe try singing it yourselves as well and you'll probably find that you can do it whether you're a singer or not.
We move in circles - Balanced all the while - On a gleaming razor's edge
A perfect sphere - Colliding with our fate - This story ends where it began

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #3019 on: December 06, 2015, 06:15:39 PM »
I seriously hope they will come here at Mexico and perform it. I'm willing to travel to any city inside the country just to see them, but traveling to the U.S is beyond my current capabilities.

I'd be very very pissed off if they don't come. If they say they're only turning the Auditorio Nacional into TA scenario, I'll go there, but I hope they'll do.

Otros Mexicanos seguro estarán deacuerdo conmigo
(Other Mexicans will certainly agree with me)
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Nomaniac

• Long Live Dream Theater!!!
  • Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #3020 on: December 06, 2015, 06:18:26 PM »

That is some great news!!! ;D
"Through Nature's Inflexible Grace, I'm Learning To Live"

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3021 on: December 06, 2015, 08:04:06 PM »
Will DT go down the route of melodic prog vs. metal to signify the difference between Ravenskill and the Empire? I hope they would release another teaser, this time an Empire song.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #3022 on: December 06, 2015, 08:29:00 PM »
I seriously hope they will come here at Mexico and perform it. I'm willing to travel to any city inside the country just to see them, but traveling to the U.S is beyond my current capabilities.

I'd be very very pissed off if they don't come. If they say they're only turning the Auditorio Nacional into TA scenario, I'll go there, but I hope they'll do.

Otros Mexicanos seguro estarán deacuerdo conmigo
(Other Mexicans will certainly agree with me)

Yeah! It would  awesome to have the whole show in Mexico, let's hope that will be the case!

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #3023 on: December 06, 2015, 10:08:15 PM »
 After many listens and much deliberation, I've decided that this is the best thing I've heard from them in years. I don't want to get my hopes up, but I feel like I've only heard the "Strange Deja-Vu" of the album so far.  I'm really hoping I don't get let down.

But if we get another 2 hours of this, I'll be happy.

On a side note, the last section of lyrics are the best thing they've written in years.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #3024 on: December 07, 2015, 04:53:45 AM »
On a side note, the last section of lyrics are the best thing they've written in years.

Tbh, the lyircs there and the chorus with the choir are some of the best things they've written in years.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3025 on: December 07, 2015, 04:58:00 AM »
"Songbirds stop to listen when he sings" is pretty great, best in the song, but the rest isn't as impressive. It's not bad, it fits the concept and the tone of the track, but that's about it for the most part.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3026 on: December 07, 2015, 06:28:59 AM »
A lot of lyrics are functional story telling lyrics and I'm guessing that this may be the first "song" on the album so they have to introduce the story and characters.  The two lines at the end though "Music is the gift he brings, the songbird stops to listen when he sings" are just awesome though and give me goosebumps every time especially when followed by that soaring Petrucci solo.  Really loving the song.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #3027 on: December 07, 2015, 06:44:36 AM »

Tbh, the lyircs there and the chorus with the choir are some of the best things they've written in years.

B.Lee

I'd agree with this. I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed the lyrics, I was assuming since the song was just a part of the overall story, the lyrics might not make much sense standing alone as a single. But knowing what we know about the overall story already, I thought the lyrics were a pleasant surprise, really enjoyable.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #3028 on: December 07, 2015, 07:10:02 AM »
TGOM has done nothing but raise my expectations.  Based on this single, The Astonishing has the potential (dangerous word) to be my favorite DT CD.  The melody, sound and feel is wonderful, even for a 4 minute track.  James sounds fantastic (as much as I liked IT, he's better off staying in today's range).  They're a different band now from I&W or SFAM but there's an ease and confidence about this that is very appealing.  Throw in that JP clearly had an inspiration for this and TGOM sounds so good, this could be an all time great.  Although I am a little nervous about James' female voices that we haven't heard yet.

As much as I like ItPoE, I'm glad that so far it's a more uplifting, melodic sound.  I was worried that we'd get two hours of ItPoE, which I love but this sound and feel is much more appealing for me right now.  I hope it's all this good and, yet, Bosk says that some of what he's heard is even better (paraphrased).  Which is really exciting.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3029 on: December 07, 2015, 07:10:51 AM »
Do you think we'll be getting more news now this week, or did it peak with the release of TGoM?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3030 on: December 07, 2015, 07:13:38 AM »
Do you think we'll be getting more news now this week, or did it peak with the release of TGoM?

There's still some map left, and some characters, and a couple of videos, so I think it will probably continue as before until it's all revealed.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #3031 on: December 07, 2015, 08:24:53 AM »
After many listens and much deliberation, I've decided that this is the best thing I've heard from them in years. I don't want to get my hopes up, but I feel like I've only heard the "Strange Deja-Vu" of the album so far.  I'm really hoping I don't get let down.

But if we get another 2 hours of this, I'll be happy.

THIS!
"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Offline MegaDTSX

« Reply #3032 on: December 07, 2015, 08:28:05 AM »
Everyone can hate on Hugh Syme all they want, but always remember he made the awesome Megadeth "Youthanasia" album cover  :metal

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3033 on: December 07, 2015, 08:34:41 AM »
Everyone can hate on Hugh Syme all they want, but always remember he made the awesome Megadeth "Youthanasia" album cover  :metal
Come on, this is DTF, album covers with skies will never do any good here, so Youthanasia gets disqualified.

JK I love Youthanasia's cover.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #3034 on: December 07, 2015, 08:38:20 AM »
I hope there's a nice mix on this album. I am a sucker for the melodic prog tracks like TGOM but would love some heavier TOT-esque songs too. Being 34 tracks long though I'm sure they can pretty much include every DT element possible and even expand into new horizons. This is an exciting thought... The fact that the album is supposedly 40 minutes longer than SDOIT is even more exciting, Let's hope they keep the quality up! The sheer amount of effort that must've gone into making this must've been insane.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #3035 on: December 07, 2015, 08:54:59 AM »

Wow thanks, that album came up as a suggestion on youtube once and I clicked on it because I loved the artwork. But I quickly closed it because I didn't like the music and then forget which album has this amazing artwork. Thanks, now I know again  ;D
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3036 on: December 07, 2015, 08:58:44 AM »
well the mixing is better
sounds uncomfortably rush-like to me tho

I don't have a problem with that as Rush stopped sounding like Rush a long time ago. At least the Rush I want to hear.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #3037 on: December 07, 2015, 09:06:42 AM »
I have no problems with the (early) Rush-esque sound, actually I really like it. DT sounds perfect through this genuinely progressive uplifting vibe, and in my opinion The Looking Glass was the greatest song on the self titled.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #3038 on: December 07, 2015, 09:17:53 AM »
I hope there's a nice mix on this album. I am a sucker for the melodic prog tracks like TGOM but would love some heavier TOT-esque songs too. Being 34 tracks long though I'm sure they can pretty much include every DT element possible and even expand into new horizons. This is an exciting thought... The fact that the album is supposedly 40 minutes longer than SDOIT is even more exciting, Let's hope they keep the quality up! The sheer amount of effort that must've gone into making this must've been insane.

I'm willing to bet that Lord Nafaryus is a heavy track.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3039 on: December 07, 2015, 09:31:26 AM »

I peaked!

:zydarscouch:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #3040 on: December 07, 2015, 09:36:51 AM »
I just found out that "beacon" is one of my favorite English words to mistype. Shining like a BACON in the niiiiiiight! That's when you run to the fridge hungry at night and you're happy there's bacon.

Damn, I'm insane sometimes.  :rollin

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3041 on: December 07, 2015, 09:41:36 AM »

I peaked!

:zydarscouch:

The Gift Of Zydar.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #3042 on: December 07, 2015, 09:55:12 AM »
A new character (Evangeline) was revealed and a new section of the map!
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3043 on: December 07, 2015, 10:14:16 AM »
So that's 3 rebels now and 1 for The Great Northern Empire.

So now we know 29.01.2016 is the release date ( adjust for US ) - we can heartily laugh and point at Clock Guy who said 0112 would be a clue to the release date.

:loser: :lol  :loser:

Offline thosava

« Reply #3044 on: December 07, 2015, 10:22:44 AM »
Now we can see where Ravenskill is located. If endless isleland is representing Long island, the location of Ravenskill fits with the location that JP grew up.