Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1207221 times)

Offline jakepriest

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing
« Reply #1470 on: November 23, 2015, 01:05:54 PM »
I never understood the hype around Scenes from a Memory. A few good songs, awful concept based on one of the most ridiculous movies ever. Can't listen to that album. Without going further down that rabbit hole - I think the new album will top everything else in that vein as far as ridiculousness goes (and I'll include KISS The Elder in that...). I can't stand all the hobbit, Tolkien, dwarf & sword stuff. I can't stand video games. This has Game of Thrones cr*p written all over it already - I don't even want to hear the music and lyrics. And I also suspect that Jordan Rudess went in to program a bunch of fake symphony orchestras again like on Six Degrees and the last album that completely ruin it for me. I liked DT better before he joined. He's a great player but I don't think much of his sounds.

Not even gonna comment on how close-minded I find this entire paragraph.

Offline 7enderbender

« Reply #1471 on: November 23, 2015, 01:09:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure nobody cares but I just saw the information about the new album and I feel like I have to vent. I've been a DT fan since the very early days when they toured small clubs (or not at all at times). Some albums are part of my favorite music, others are alright. Very few I don't like at all - I didn't like the last one and I never understood the hype around Scenes from a Memory. A few good songs, awful concept based on one of the most ridiculous movies ever. Can't listen to that album. Without going further down that rabbit hole - I think the new album will top everything else in that vein as far as ridiculousness goes (and I'll include KISS The Elder in that...). I can't stand all the hobbit, Tolkien, dwarf & sword stuff. I can't stand video games. This has Game of Thrones cr*p written all over it already - I don't even want to hear the music and lyrics. And I also suspect that Jordan Rudess went in to program a bunch of fake symphony orchestras again like on Six Degrees and the last album that completely ruin it for me. I liked DT better before he joined. He's a great player but I don't think much of his sounds.

Sorry, just had to get this out of my system since it's always sad to kind of lose a favorite band.

Mike?

Nope. though I wonder what he thinks about all this. I like him in the Winery Dogs. I like Mangini too though. That was never an issue for me. I very much like Dramatic Turn of Events actually.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #1472 on: November 23, 2015, 01:09:36 PM »
Arhys is one handsome dude.

So I guess Faythe may be the chosen one and her death will somehow bring everyone together... or something like that.

And now that the tracklist is most likely finally all revealed, I'm really looking forward to all the other stuff they have in store for us!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1473 on: November 23, 2015, 01:13:35 PM »
Haven't we already seen Arhys?

not legally

I see. I was not aware. How was the picture found?

Someone guessed the filename.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1474 on: November 23, 2015, 01:15:10 PM »

I remember on the Iron Maiden website when the greatest hits Edward the Great was coming out, they posted the top half of the cover, something like blablablaurl/tophalf.jpg. Someone looked up for the picture named topbottom.jpg and it was a white image with "Sorry, we're not THAT dumb" written over it  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1475 on: November 23, 2015, 01:16:14 PM »

I remember on the Iron Maiden website when the greatest hits Edward the Great was coming out, they posted the top half of the cover, something like blablablaurl/tophalf.jpg. Someone looked up for the picture named topbottom.jpg and it was a white image with "Sorry, we're not THAT dumb" written over it  ;D

:lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1476 on: November 23, 2015, 01:17:36 PM »
I never understood the hype around Scenes from a Memory. A few good songs, awful concept based on one of the most ridiculous movies ever. Can't listen to that album. Without going further down that rabbit hole - I think the new album will top everything else in that vein as far as ridiculousness goes (and I'll include KISS The Elder in that...). I can't stand all the hobbit, Tolkien, dwarf & sword stuff. I can't stand video games. This has Game of Thrones cr*p written all over it already - I don't even want to hear the music and lyrics. And I also suspect that Jordan Rudess went in to program a bunch of fake symphony orchestras again like on Six Degrees and the last album that completely ruin it for me. I liked DT better before he joined. He's a great player but I don't think much of his sounds.

Not even gonna comment on how close-minded I find this entire paragraph.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1477 on: November 23, 2015, 01:33:17 PM »
Thank you for your contribution Mr. EnderBender, I will definitely take your story about goblins and dwarfs into account when giving this album my first spin!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1478 on: November 23, 2015, 01:36:27 PM »
Well. DT has done their balls to the walls metal album. They've done the prog album. But the album they've never done is the power ballad album. I think we're there now. Power Ballad Musical.

That's because they do Metal, and Prog.. They're a prog metal band.. And if they've never done a power ballad album, is because... wait a second... they're not a power ballad band..

Of course that that would be cool I guess, and they would shine with something like that but I don't see that happening at all.. Besides: it's not confirmed that it would be a (prog) ROCK (metal too I hope) OPERA?..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1479 on: November 23, 2015, 01:37:45 PM »
Well. DT has done their balls to the walls metal album. They've done the prog album. But the album they've never done is the power ballad album. I think we're there now. Power Ballad Musical.

That's because they do Metal, and Prog.. They're a prog metal band.. And if they've never done a power ballad album, is because... wait a second... they're not a power ballad band..

Of course that that would be cool I guess, and they would shine with something like that but I don't see that happening at all.. Besides: it's not confirmed that it would be a (prog) ROCK (metal too I hope) OPERA?..
I can't work out if you're playing along or thought noxon was serious...

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1480 on: November 23, 2015, 01:38:39 PM »
So I guess Faythe may be the chosen one and her death will somehow bring everyone together... or something like that.

Arhys said in the first e-mail that the chosen one was his "brother".

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1481 on: November 23, 2015, 01:42:55 PM »

A bearded gentleman? Historian?

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1482 on: November 23, 2015, 01:54:54 PM »

I can't work out if you're playing along or thought noxon was serious...

I think he was.. But now that you mention it, yeah, maybe he wasn't..

I had almost the same discussion the other day with this DT fan, friend of mine.. He was saying that they will do (and should do according to him) something different, considering the aspect of all these strange news we're are getting for the last couple of weeks.. And he actually said they'll probably add some progressive power metal onto this album.. Maybe that's why I answered almost mechanically and without even thinking it might have been a joke.. I'm still not sure though..

So no, I definitely wasn't "playing along".. :lol

Exactly.. "Brother, Can You Hear Me?" should be from her point of view I suppose..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1483 on: November 23, 2015, 02:03:45 PM »
For those asking about the track listing, yes, we now have the complete track list.  But there is still lots of other information planned for release, so stay tuned...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1484 on: November 23, 2015, 02:04:54 PM »
For those asking about the track listing, yes, we now have the complete track list.  But there is still lots of other information planned for release, so stay tuned...

Nice, I'm eager to see what's around the corner.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1485 on: November 23, 2015, 02:07:24 PM »
For those asking about the track listing, yes, we now have the complete track list. 

:tup

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1486 on: November 23, 2015, 02:08:31 PM »
Cool. I'm most eager for the track lengths and album art next. With the amount of tracks we have now, assuming each act is a separate CD, then none of the tracks here will be too terribly long, an astonishing change of pace for DT.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1487 on: November 23, 2015, 02:08:38 PM »

Nice, I'm eager to see what's around the corner.

I can't tell you in terms of the substance (well, I could tell you, but then I'd be in a lot of trouble, so I won't).  But in terms of timing, you can expect pretty much the same schedule:  more info every few days for the next little while. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1488 on: November 23, 2015, 02:17:11 PM »
Cool. I'm most eager for the track lengths and album art next.

Agreed. Aside from hearing the actual album, these are the things I'm most interested in at the moment now that the tracklist is complete. I'd include the release date but we sort of already know that, just not the exact day.

Offline r3d86

• GO BRONCOS!!
« Reply #1489 on: November 23, 2015, 02:17:22 PM »
''Great People, I am Arhys, Son of Marhys, one of the three remaining, heirs........

You don't know who is "Marhys" so it can be Nafaryus, maybe before he become Emperor.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1490 on: November 23, 2015, 02:20:01 PM »
I can't tell you in terms of the substance (well, I could tell you, but then I'd be in a lot of trouble, so I won't).  But in terms of timing, you can expect pretty much the same schedule:  more info every few days for the next little while.

Sounds good. Nice to know that we're still on course to get info every week.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1491 on: November 23, 2015, 02:20:38 PM »
Hmm, I just googled "Arhys" because it  seems like an odd name and I wanted to see if there is a meaning of some sort.  The top result was from Urban Dictionary: "Very beautiful girl has a big ass and loves to play on the bed but is very gentle and loving she is very loyal she will say that she does not like you but she will end up liking you because she will notice how great you are and than she will realize that she's loved you sense day one."

This is definitely a new side of DT!  :lol
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline r3d86

• GO BRONCOS!!
« Reply #1492 on: November 23, 2015, 02:22:05 PM »
Arhys is one handsome dude.

And now that the tracklist is most likely finally all revealed, I'm really looking forward to all the other stuff they have in store for us!

I won't be glad if Faythe is the chosen one. "They have to maintain the faith on Faythe , he's gonna save the world", mmm god please no!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1493 on: November 23, 2015, 02:27:19 PM »
The reason for the power ballad joke is actually an old description I picked up somewhere, I think in an interview - that described DT-fandom  as three-pronged: progfans, metalfans, and the girlfriends that likes the power ballads. As a matter of fact, -my- first purchase of a Dream Theater song was a compilation album called "Even More Power Ballads". And to be fair, they've always done ballady stuff. So why not a full album of it? :P

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1494 on: November 23, 2015, 02:29:19 PM »
Also, I can't remember track lengths EVER having been released by the band. For the last 4 albums -I- have been the one to release track times.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #1495 on: November 23, 2015, 02:30:10 PM »
Certain titles are fairly similar between each other.
Like 'A new beginning' and 'Begin again'
Because Mike is better than Mike

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1496 on: November 23, 2015, 02:34:23 PM »
For those asking about the track listing, yes, we now have the complete track list.   

Thanks Bosk for the facts! :tup
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1497 on: November 23, 2015, 02:55:23 PM »
I feel like we're about to enter a bosk vs noxon battle for who can generate the most hype with hints at their insider knowledge. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1498 on: November 23, 2015, 03:00:15 PM »
I feel like we're about to enter a bosk vs noxon battle for who can generate the most hype with hints at their insider knowledge. :lol
Nice, either way, us (the fanbase) wins.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1499 on: November 23, 2015, 03:02:03 PM »
i know nothing (said as Emanuel from fawlty towers)

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1500 on: November 23, 2015, 03:02:24 PM »
Wow, a triple (double if you count Craphys) update, really nice! I like all of the track titles, except anything with Faythe, which looks bad imo. My OCD (not really) is going nuts because I wanted the map to be filled by connecting something with the already existing part.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1501 on: November 23, 2015, 03:04:35 PM »

:lol  We both have a good deal of information, but we have different types of information.  And not to be a stick in the mud, but folks can rest assured that any "hints" I might give will not consist of anything the band or label is not ready for the public to know.  ;)

Offline Whrobmp

« Reply #1502 on: November 23, 2015, 03:07:25 PM »
Arhys seems to have some facial similarities to Emperor Nafaryus.  I predict it's his son.

For me it seems that Arhys's face is way less detailed than Nafaryus. Looks more like a cheap videogame rather than well worked CGI.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1503 on: November 23, 2015, 03:17:07 PM »

So the new album will have 34 tracks.

Their first albums from the debut up until Falling Into Infinity have 38, the four of them.

It took them from Six Degrees in 2002 to Black Clouds in 2009 to relase 35 studio tracks, only one more.

And you have to put together the three of their previous albums with most tracks (Awake, FII and SFAM) to reach 34 songs.

Just to put things into perspective... then again, it's a given we'll get many interludes, and I wonder if the NOMACS tracks will be proper music, or just cacophonic sounds... I already imagine a poll "What's your favorite NOMACS track" actually  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1504 on: November 23, 2015, 03:20:50 PM »
If Arhys' father is called Marhys, what are the odds that his son (in a hypothetical future beyond this album) would be called Rhys?