Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200874 times)

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing
« Reply #1365 on: November 22, 2015, 10:48:14 AM »
AFAIK every album you mentioned leaked before its official release date.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1366 on: November 22, 2015, 10:55:19 AM »
There's always a point before an albums release where they'll not be able to hinder a leak. But now it's much closer to the release date than it was 10 years ago, due to watermarked promos etc.

Online thunderdog10

« Reply #1367 on: November 22, 2015, 10:57:23 AM »
IF there were to be a leak on youtube, it would be gone within a few hours after people discovered it. Plus any leak at this point in time would be traceable by the record company, so whoever leaks any music will be sued.

This is why I think people who pre-order the album should get the same advance copy that reviewers, etc get as it can be traced if leaked. It drives me nuts that I pay for a release and have to wait to hear it while reviewers get to hear it 1 to 2 months in advance for free. I understand they are trying to get press for the album but who better to hype the album than the fans.  If they offered fans who pre-ordered the chance to hear it when they pre-order they would sell more of those.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1368 on: November 22, 2015, 11:04:38 AM »
IF there were to be a leak on youtube, it would be gone within a few hours after people discovered it. Plus any leak at this point in time would be traceable by the record company, so whoever leaks any music will be sued.

This is why I think people who pre-order the album should get the same advance copy that reviewers, etc get as it can be traced if leaked. It drives me nuts that I pay for a release and have to wait to hear it while reviewers get to hear it 1 to 2 months in advance for free. I understand they are trying to get press for the album but who better to hype the album than the fans.  If they offered fans who pre-ordered the chance to hear it when they pre-order they would sell more of those.

Public opinion could be dangerous, though.

I mean, you can choose which "expert" review publicize more than some others, or you can send it to people you know in advance will have a favorable opinion about it.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #1369 on: November 22, 2015, 11:06:23 AM »
Yeah, except that you pay for that.
It's not something people "can't" get, they just chose not to do it, their problem
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1370 on: November 22, 2015, 11:11:51 AM »
The reason for promos 1-2 months in advance is not that the reviewers are privileged, it's because of the nature of magazines and press. It takes time to listen and absorb an album, and write a coherent piece talking about the album as well as printing the magazine etc. So to have a magazine in the shops near the actual release of the album which has a review of the album means you have to give reviewers it a few months in advance. It's always been this way, and it's just a fact. It's the same thing with movies! A lot of people get previews of movies many months before release, even unfinished versions with maybe effects not fully done. Even regular audiences gets screenings, because the studios want to be able to polish the movies before actual release.

I've been lucky enough to be in the recipient list for promos for several DT albums. This time around, they REALLY want people to be surprised at the effort they've made, so I'm not free to discuss stuff the same way I've done before, and for that reason I am mostly on the same level as most of you are.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1371 on: November 22, 2015, 11:13:44 AM »
Yeah I always wondered if magazines write reviews of albums after just one listen.

Sometimes it can take years to appreciate an album.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1372 on: November 22, 2015, 11:14:01 AM »
I understand they are trying to get press for the album but who better to hype the album than the fans.

And, well, I don't see why those two should be mutually exclusive. A lot of reviews are done by the people who are more or less fans of the band.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1373 on: November 22, 2015, 11:16:09 AM »
And to be fair, I've been your resident "hyper" since Systematic Chaos.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1374 on: November 22, 2015, 11:21:42 AM »
Hope we get an update tomorrow. First one in a week if we do.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1375 on: November 22, 2015, 11:27:19 AM »
Hope we get an update tomorrow. First one in a week if we do.

Seconded. I really want to see the rest of those track names, and find out exactly how many there are. it's important, damnit!  :lol
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1376 on: November 22, 2015, 11:33:59 AM »
Of course, being a week without a track update while it was originally done every monday and tuesday could mean that the tracklisting is already complete, but personally I don't think so.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1377 on: November 22, 2015, 11:40:10 AM »
Of course, being a week without a track update while it was originally done every monday and tuesday could mean that the tracklisting is already complete, but personally I don't think so.

Yeah I don't think they'd have 2 songs after an interval.

Offline paulstfu

« Reply #1378 on: November 22, 2015, 01:29:32 PM »
While we wait for another won update, here are some venezuelan guys doing a brutal tribute to Metropolis WITH ORCHESTRA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwqLoGoeOcg
Standing on the Wetbacks of angels (?)

Calvin6s

« Reply #1379 on: November 22, 2015, 01:46:24 PM »
So the double CD release is like the Awake Japanese double CD release.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1380 on: November 22, 2015, 01:50:15 PM »
Either they haven't finished the reveal yet or there's an interval after most of the album then two more songs. Which I doubt.

Unless those two songs are like 20 mins each.

Especially since one of them is called Moment of Betrayal. . 

Offline EraVulgaris

« Reply #1381 on: November 22, 2015, 02:19:33 PM »
While we wait for another won update, here are some venezuelan guys doing a brutal tribute to Metropolis WITH ORCHESTRA

That sound is grinding my skull.  :blush

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1382 on: November 22, 2015, 03:10:18 PM »
I'm not sure if this would count as a leak, but I found this off of this website (which seems relatively official) and one of the thumbnails look like this:

It looks like the posters and the facebook / twitter header but it has both a smaller distance between the NOMAC and title and no red 'live'. While I'm not going to jump to conclusions (and won't put this on my info thread), I wouldn't be that surprised if this was what the the album cover looked like (though obviously with an equal height and width). It could also just be someone lifting the NOMAC up in one of the posters (like this: https://www.triffidanddanger.se/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/TADC_DreamTheater_Web.jpg) over the other details.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1383 on: November 22, 2015, 03:33:23 PM »
I'm wondering if there will be a more obvious inclusion of the Majesty symbol. I can see how the NOMAC looks a bit like it from behind, but from the front it looks nothing like it.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1384 on: November 22, 2015, 04:33:55 PM »
I'm wondering if there will be a more obvious inclusion of the Majesty symbol. I can see how the NOMAC looks a bit like it from behind, but from the front it looks nothing like it.

I've always thought that the connections between the NOMACS and the Majesty logo were pretty clear even when from the front (when viewed as a whole), but I think the NOMAC on the posters is probably a bit too close-up to get the similarities. The floating one on the official website makes it much easier to tell.

Offline chudm

« Reply #1385 on: November 22, 2015, 06:41:32 PM »

That sound is grinding my skull.  :blush

Ill be posting tonight the rudess-Glem jam with sbd audio :)

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #1386 on: November 23, 2015, 02:43:32 AM »
I really hope they're gonna give us something concrete soon.. I don't care so much about the characters, the map or whatever...Ok, maybe it's too early for the single, but I'd love to hear something from one of them about the album!! My only hope is that this silence one day will become a "behind-the-scenes"!!!

Offline Nest777

« Reply #1387 on: November 23, 2015, 04:05:08 AM »
I'm not sure if this would count as a leak, but I found this off of this website (which seems relatively official) and one of the thumbnails look like this:

It looks like the posters and the facebook / twitter header but it has both a smaller distance between the NOMAC and title and no red 'live'. While I'm not going to jump to conclusions (and won't put this on my info thread), I wouldn't be that surprised if this was what the the album cover looked like (though obviously with an equal height and width). It could also just be someone lifting the NOMAC up in one of the posters (like this: https://www.triffidanddanger.se/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/TADC_DreamTheater_Web.jpg) over the other details.

That image is photoshopped. Look at these:

EDIT: looking at it closely, I think that could be the NOMAC in the dreamtheater.net/theastonishing web, though. Oh well.

The background, the NOMAC, the logos... it was al taken from the official DT web ( https://www.dreamtheater.net/theastonishingtour , it shows a "Not Authorized" message now) I myself did a version of that one (more polished if you ask me  :P ) and it's the one I use as profile picture for my fan-page:

« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 04:11:10 AM by Nest777 »

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #1388 on: November 23, 2015, 06:39:00 AM »
I like that as an album cover. Still think it'll be a bit more detailed than that by such a good artist

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1389 on: November 23, 2015, 07:19:25 AM »
That image is photoshopped. Look at these:

*snip*

EDIT: looking at it closely, I think that could be the NOMAC in the dreamtheater.net/theastonishing web, though. Oh well.

The background, the NOMAC, the logos... it was al taken from the official DT web ( https://www.dreamtheater.net/theastonishingtour , it shows a "Not Authorized" message now) I myself did a version of that one (more polished if you ask me  :P ) and it's the one I use as profile picture for my fan-page:

*snip*

Yeah, I didn't think it was likely to be the official album cover. It wouldn't be terrible if it was though, but I agree with this:
Still think it'll be a bit more detailed than that by such a good artist

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1390 on: November 23, 2015, 08:57:00 AM »
I'd be ok with that. It reminds me of Octavarium with the colours.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1391 on: November 23, 2015, 09:19:23 AM »
The Astonishing Astonishing speculation thread!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1392 on: November 23, 2015, 09:21:29 AM »
WHAT WE KNOW SO FAR !!!!!!!!!

THIS ALBUM IS COMING :soon:

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1393 on: November 23, 2015, 09:41:41 AM »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1394 on: November 23, 2015, 09:50:11 AM »
What am I looking at?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1395 on: November 23, 2015, 09:50:42 AM »
What am I looking at?

Your computer screen.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1396 on: November 23, 2015, 09:51:11 AM »
What am I looking at?

Your computer screen.

I thought it was a window. ??? You mean this isn't real life?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #1397 on: November 23, 2015, 09:56:20 AM »
What am I looking at?

Your computer screen.

I thought it was a window. ??? You mean this isn't real life?

What do the voices in you head tell you?
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1398 on: November 23, 2015, 09:56:47 AM »
:soon:, it probably belonged in the Nuggetz Corner though, that's my bad.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #1399 on: November 23, 2015, 10:10:55 AM »
The map has a new section.
Because Mike is better than Mike