Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1207063 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing
« Reply #770 on: November 14, 2015, 04:51:17 AM »
Can´t help but thinking part of this stems from Labrie´s enthousiasm of working on Ayreon´s theater performance.  Guess it rubbed off on the other guys.

The timing is kinda off though. They started writing the material for this album during DT12 tour. They went into the studio in january, and was pretty much done recording the backing tracks (guitars, drums, bass and keys) in june. When I spoke to them in July, what was missing at that point were vocals, overdubs and "effects" (i'm guessing narration and embellishments). The Theater Equation was at the end of september. Last day of recording was september 25th. There's no way that the theater performance had any influence on the album.

If anything influenced the band, it'd be older stuff like the obvious (2112, The Wall) - but I also see newer stuff being in their arsenal (like Circle of Illusion's Jeremias, which was one of JRs featured albums back in may, or Ayreon's Theory of Everything which JR appeared on).
Not saying he was influenced but remember though that Labrie was booked for The Theater Equation in may 2014 and i'm pretty sure they pitched him the whole project/idea before he signed on. So he was well aware of the project and what was going to happen on the stage before entering the studio with DT. Dosen't mean he was influenced by this for DT13 though, i'm just saying...
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #771 on: November 14, 2015, 05:32:38 AM »
More songtitles on The Astonishing-page!!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #772 on: November 14, 2015, 05:35:34 AM »
I'm still seeing the same 17 for act I.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #773 on: November 14, 2015, 05:51:30 AM »
Sorry... Didn't read enough of the thread :omg:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #774 on: November 14, 2015, 05:54:28 AM »

Having read the entire thread myself, I'd say you were probably better off that way. :lol

Do they even advertise these updates anywhere, or do they expect people to randomly check the page every so often? I haven't seen any updates mentioned on FB or Twitter since the page first went up.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #775 on: November 14, 2015, 05:59:06 AM »
I agree, it's really weird that we've had two shadow updates on the page with no other channels commenting on them...

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #776 on: November 14, 2015, 06:00:45 AM »

Having read the entire thread myself, I'd say you were probably better off that way. :lol

Do they even advertise these updates anywhere, or do they expect people to randomly check the page every so often? I haven't seen any updates mentioned on FB or Twitter since the page first went up.

To be honest if it were not for this thread I wouldn't know The Astonishing web page existed.

Logging onto the official DT web page at present is very frustrating as I'm now getting the choose sides front page again not the tour one.
If you try logging onto DT Astonishingtour you get you are not permitted to access.

You would assume with the growing interest the web page would be working properly.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #777 on: November 14, 2015, 06:01:57 AM »
It's kind of cool.  I'm from the old days without the internet.   The anticipation was greater and made the first listen even better.  I can't stop myself now listening to samples, songs ect...
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #778 on: November 14, 2015, 06:19:15 AM »
However, I'm getting this web adress when refreshing: https://www.dreamtheater.net/theastonishing#char3_LB

Character 3 being finished or something? I'm not a code expert.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #779 on: November 14, 2015, 06:27:30 AM »
:nomac:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #780 on: November 14, 2015, 06:35:15 AM »
Hell yeah :nomac:
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #781 on: November 14, 2015, 06:54:00 AM »
I've been out of the loop for a while and just saw the latest update in the tracklist... Act I has 17 tracks?! :eek Looks like the album will be similar to The Wall in terms of structure.
The deal with the NOMACs is a good excuse for Rudess to experience with some robotic dubsteish Bebot style noises, that could be fun if done right.
When I read "robotic" I immediately thought you were going to say Jordan should learn robot dance moves, and it reminded me of this video. :lol

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #782 on: November 14, 2015, 07:48:57 AM »
For previous albums, we've had a "What we know so far" thread. All known album info in one place, without having to wade through our endless (and usually incorrect) speculation.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #783 on: November 14, 2015, 08:18:40 AM »
Thinking they'll announce the 3rd character today or tomorrow, maybe along with more tracks.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #784 on: November 14, 2015, 08:49:48 AM »
Thinking they'll announce the 3rd character today or tomorrow, maybe along with more tracks.

The last four updates have been on Mondays and Thursdays, so if they continue that, then the next update will be on Monday.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #785 on: November 14, 2015, 09:09:23 AM »

3rd? I see only Emperor Nafaryus?
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline dparrott

« Reply #786 on: November 14, 2015, 09:11:12 AM »
:lol this album had SO better not end on a cliffhanger !!!!!

Heh, watch it will and DT14 will be the finale!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #787 on: November 14, 2015, 09:20:10 AM »

3rd? I see only Emperor Nafaryus?
Yeah phrased that a little weird, I meant the #3 character, as in, the one to the right of Nafaryus.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #788 on: November 14, 2015, 09:24:48 AM »
I wonder why "places" is locked up even though we can see what it says...

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #789 on: November 14, 2015, 09:25:29 AM »
For previous albums, we've had a "What we know so far" thread. All known album info in one place, without having to wade through our endless (and usually incorrect) speculation.

Done.  :tup

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #790 on: November 14, 2015, 09:26:41 AM »

Cause they wanna tease us.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #791 on: November 14, 2015, 09:29:44 AM »
We can't.  The section we can see is "Map" not "Places".  "Places" is locked, "Map" is not.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #792 on: November 14, 2015, 09:40:21 AM »
When they put out DT12, they mentioned wanting to have the album out for a few months before going on tour, so people could digest the new material. That was for a 69 min album, and they didn't even play the whole thing. Now, for a seemingly 100+ min massive concept album, they're going to start touring with the entire concept mere weeks (if that) after it's release date. I find that kind of ironic  :lol

Well, it's going to be a theater performance, with hopefully clearer sound and all, making it easier to digest. People won't need to sing along there, and I guess it'll be more like a real presentation of the album instead of a usual live show.

Exactly, and besides that, it's not ironic with what JP said in almost every interview when he was asked for the AFtR tour: "... we want to make it one big Dream Theater experience. When you enter the venue, you’re stepping into our world and we want to be able to transport people for a while. It might be a tall order, but that’s our goal on this tour and that’s why we’re calling it ‘Along for the Ride.’ We want to take people with us."

Anyway, Evermind, about the ppl singing along, he also said this: "The cool thing about our fans is that they're not just passive concert goers. They're all really into it and are singing along to every song. They're the perfect audiences to play for, and we're excited to have more time to play and deliver an exciting, powerful show."

I think they're turning the page.. Now they want another thing, something this band has never explored before.. And this time they prefer to do it instead of speaking of it in advance..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline V_R11

« Reply #793 on: November 14, 2015, 09:42:22 AM »

Cause they wanna tease us.

This whole thing is a major tease. DT must be having fun
Seasons change and so can I

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #794 on: November 14, 2015, 09:43:51 AM »
We can't.  The section we can see is "Map" not "Places".  "Places" is locked, "Map" is not.

Places is clearly legible under the padlock.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #795 on: November 14, 2015, 09:51:56 AM »
But you can't see the section.  Because it is locked.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #796 on: November 14, 2015, 09:52:46 AM »
OH MY GOD

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #797 on: November 14, 2015, 09:58:04 AM »
What I was wondering about is how the page https://www.dreamtheater.net/theastonishing, is not accessible from the main website, there's no link to it there. I know we guessed the url after we found out the album name from the live shows announcements but I'm wondering if we stumbled across that page earlier than they wanted us to since the main website is not linking to it.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #798 on: November 14, 2015, 10:17:30 AM »
What I was wondering about is how the page https://www.dreamtheater.net/theastonishing, is not accessible from the main website, there's no link to it there. I know we guessed the url after we found out the album name from the live shows announcements but I'm wondering if we stumbled across that page earlier than they wanted us to since the main website is not linking to it.

They linked to it from Facebook a couple of weeks ago...

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #799 on: November 14, 2015, 10:47:47 AM »
I'm pretty sure they've linked several times to it through posts on Facebook. I do remember it specifically when they confirmed the album title, for sure.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #800 on: November 14, 2015, 11:09:10 AM »
On November 5, in their fb's page: " The path is dividing: flyt.it/TheAstonishing "
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #801 on: November 14, 2015, 11:38:40 AM »
Remember, remember, the fifth of November
The astonishing revealed, surprise
I know of no reason why the speculation season
Should ever make sense.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #802 on: November 14, 2015, 12:03:00 PM »
Oh ok I see it.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline hadi-persian

« Reply #803 on: November 14, 2015, 01:04:16 PM »
from writing the elemans in spect element.the part of act l and act ll . the elements show to us the 10 part in espect element. before realising the 17 track in act l i active the espect elemnt that there was 17 empty part with 3 coloumn. and in act ll we have 10 part with 3 coloumn.guys pls scratch ur mind and dont tell about the DT's length of tracks. so w8 for listening to album.for u is very easy to get the see the live.but i'm live in iran.the country that the DT never come here.but it is not importanat.listening to album and see the DVD live is amazing! so dont tell a joke about dt and use from ur cheers days and new year!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #804 on: November 14, 2015, 01:06:23 PM »
It's always clocks with you.