Author Topic: Official NHL 2015-2016 Thread  (Read 92655 times)

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Re: Official NHL 2015-2016 Thread
« Reply #1330 on: June 29, 2016, 02:50:46 PM »
  DAMN YOU CHIARELLI!!

Get used to it! :lol

Just wait till he overpays Lucic. WTF. He has now traded BOTH Seguin and Hall!

Lots of WOW going on and it's only Wednesday. Can't wait for Friday!!!

Yeah I expect they already have a wink, wink, nudge, nudge agreement with Lucic given that he and Demers got the red carpet treatment from the Oilers when they were in town yesterday. Lucic will probably get  a 6x6 contract, unfortunately.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1331 on: June 29, 2016, 02:58:10 PM »
So, I just got home from vacation (and not checking news) for 5 days. Holy crap, two huge trades. The Habs/Preds swap is a toss up, but man, Edmonton gave away Hall. Larson is good, but not 1 for 1 for Hall good. That's still not on the level of fleecing Detroit gave Phoenix at the draft, but wow.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1332 on: June 29, 2016, 03:00:54 PM »
The Habs/Preds swap is a toss-up
How generous of you to try and sugar-coat this for me. But your effort is wasted. :'(

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1333 on: June 29, 2016, 03:03:14 PM »
LieLow, I'll ask again. What's the backstory up there on why they'd trade Subban?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1334 on: June 29, 2016, 03:07:04 PM »
LieLow, I'll ask again. What's the backstory up there on why they'd trade Subban?

My take? His generous donations to Montreal hospitals was making the rest of the team feel guilty, so they forced Bergevin to get rid of him.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1335 on: June 29, 2016, 03:11:54 PM »
Other than what I said before? There were always rumours that the management hated PK for whatever reason. I'm not sure you could say that's totally a case, but it looks possible in hindsight. Honestly the only logical explanation which you can reach from looking at the past is that Habs management favours grit and "leadership" over skill. The future looks bleak. Price pls stay healthy so things hurt just a little less.

Also, Bergevin's wiki page has been wiped and replaced by "Failure of a GM". Guy has gone from hero to zero in a pinch.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1336 on: June 29, 2016, 03:14:20 PM »
How generous of you to try and sugar-coat this for me. But your effort is wasted. :'(

I completely agree with you dumb move by the Habs management.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1337 on: June 29, 2016, 03:16:47 PM »
Preds get Subban for age 27-33. Montreal gets Weber for 31-40. I need to stop reading these things and making myself sadder. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1339 on: June 29, 2016, 03:22:22 PM »

I'm not sugar coating anything. Right now Shea Weber is definitely the better defenseman, with a better shot. Subban has great offensive maneuverability for sure.

The Habs got a better D-man with a better cap hit. That said, Weber's deal goes on far longer, and he plays a physical style, so he might become a liability near the end of it. Subban should be as good or better than he is now for a large chunk of his contract. Habs are better off now, but Preds will be better off 3-5 years from now. It really is a pretty nice hockey trade, albeit a very shocking one.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1340 on: June 29, 2016, 03:25:27 PM »
https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-oilers-don-t-get-nearly-enough-for-hall-1.517957

This is spot on. You're getting Lucic, you have a ton of young O, and you need D. It makes total sense to trade O for D, but this trade is awful.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1341 on: June 29, 2016, 03:29:58 PM »
Sorry but that just ain't right. Unless you value defensemen entirely on physicaity and size there's absolutely no way to come to this conclusion with a good amount of knowledge on both players. :P There was a time when Weber was the best defender in the league, but he's nowhere near it now, and only keeps that reputation through people thinking hitting hard is how you play good defense. He wasn't even the best defenseman on his team when this went down.

Also, even the normally calming voice in Montreal writing has lost it. :'(

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1342 on: June 29, 2016, 03:41:32 PM »
Shea's play will deteriorate very fast with his age. Btw Nick, look at his season last year.  I see it with Chara over the last few years.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1343 on: June 29, 2016, 03:43:52 PM »
Shea's play will deteriorate very fast with his age. Btw Nick, look at his season last year.  I see it with Chara over the last few years.
Yeah this is the problem. If we were trading Subban for the Weber of a few years ago I'd still be sad because it's Subby and Weber's contract is still outrageous, but that would be fine because it would likely improve out team. Weber is on a rapid decline.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1344 on: June 29, 2016, 03:44:50 PM »
Also his contract is going to 2026.  Daaaaaammmnnnnnn!!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1345 on: June 29, 2016, 03:46:03 PM »
Hey Joe, Chiarelli WTF?? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1346 on: June 29, 2016, 03:50:03 PM »
You listening to F&M?  I love hearing Tony losing it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1347 on: June 29, 2016, 03:56:17 PM »
You listening to F&M?  I love hearing Tony losing it.

Watching it. They made those announcements just as I was on my exit home. I'm going between them and the NHL network. I also have TSN's twitter feed up on my computer.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1348 on: June 29, 2016, 03:59:13 PM »
Hall basically said he's taking trade as "an indictment of me as a hockey player". Clearly wants to prove Oilers made a mistake.

Now we have to play angry Taylor Hall 4 times a year. This day just keeps getting worse. :lol

EDIT: And there you have it.  ::)

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1349 on: June 29, 2016, 04:03:57 PM »
Hall basically said he's taking trade as "an indictment of me as a hockey player". Clearly wants to prove Oilers made a mistake.

Now we have to play angry Taylor Hall 4 times a year. This day just keeps getting worse. :lol

EDIT: And there you have it.  ::)

In Chia's presser he mentioned that Hall was pissed about the trade; thought he was part of the solution, not the problem in Edmonton.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1350 on: June 29, 2016, 04:06:09 PM »
Poor Hall. He'll likely get a standing ovation on his first visit to Edmonton, then booed mercilessly every time he touches the puck afterward. Good thing NJ only comes to town once per season.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1351 on: June 29, 2016, 04:28:30 PM »
I was hoping Subban would get traded to the Bruins so Boston fans would be forced to cheer for him. :lol :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1352 on: June 29, 2016, 04:29:43 PM »
I was hoping Subban would get traded to the Bruins so Boston fans would be forced to cheer for him. :lol :lol
Don't even mention that. I would pass out. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1353 on: June 29, 2016, 04:38:00 PM »

Kev, we took Ken Linseman with open arms.  Chris Nilan as well sucka!! :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1354 on: June 29, 2016, 04:44:11 PM »

Honestly, everyone I know LOVES Subban, as do I.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1355 on: June 29, 2016, 04:44:37 PM »
Kinda sad people are gonna be sour on Weber just because of the circumstances. I hate the trade passionately but I'm still hoping Weber kills it for Montreal.

EDIT: Press conference was a joke. Full of non-answers and Bergevin trying so hard to justify himself and not doing a good job at all. He basically said at one point "Shea Weber is a great player, but we can't tell you why". What?!

EDIT 498540: Obviously too early to make such a hasty statement, but I wouldn't be too shocked if it holds true (well almost, Roy would be worse). I'd say it probably won't end up holding true, but if Weber keeps declining like he has been... But for the time being it's not like this trade effectively closes our cup window, although it definitely shortens it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 05:25:18 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1356 on: June 29, 2016, 05:36:14 PM »
Not looking forward to facing Shea's slap shot more often.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1357 on: June 29, 2016, 05:37:36 PM »
Yeah, no use hiding the fact that there I do feel a shred of excitement. A shred in a massive sea of disappointment but, a little excitement.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1358 on: June 29, 2016, 05:38:59 PM »
I don't blame you.  He was the face of the franchise.   He was the thorn in many teams side. It seems wrong.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1359 on: June 29, 2016, 05:47:15 PM »
Yeah. At least one positive about Weber is that the East is less rough of a conference, so maybe that'll slow his decline a bit.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1360 on: June 29, 2016, 05:48:26 PM »
I feel shamed to read that as a B's fan.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1361 on: June 29, 2016, 05:56:39 PM »
I hate to make so many posts on this topic, but hear is a spreadsheet showing the cap recapture Nashville will incur if Weber retires prematurely or is bought out.

If he retires a year before the contract ends, the Preds incur a cap penalty of $24,571,428!!!! If he stayed with the Preds, it'd only be about 3 million dollars. That would be absolutely crippling for Nashville. Not my team, but still how was something like this allowed to happen? :lol Makes the trade very dangerous for Nashville.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1362 on: June 29, 2016, 05:59:05 PM »
Makes the trade very dangerous for Nashville.

Yeah, but they get the better player, so maybe that was the equalizer.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1363 on: June 29, 2016, 05:59:40 PM »
Makes the trade very dangerous for Nashville.

Yeah, but they get the better player, so maybe that was the equalizer.
Yeah, exactly. You know they're confident when they're willing to risk such a potentially crippling penalty. Montreal could potentially threaten to buy him out for a trade back down the line. They could have Nashville by the balls, even if it's a dirty move.

EDIT: Scratch that. He'd need to be waived first. Oh well.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 06:14:07 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1364 on: June 30, 2016, 06:40:18 AM »
Weber will start to trend downward in the next 2 or 3 years pretty significantly, like King said, comparably to Chara. Subban's got a lot more upside (aside from the fact that he is a better d-man right now) moving forward. I can't see how this trade made sense up in Montreal.

https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-oilers-don-t-get-nearly-enough-for-hall-1.517957

Great article, the chart there is incredible, showing Hall 3rd in 5-on-5 scoring over the past 4 seasons per 60...Behind only Sid and Benn. And you trade that guy, straight up, for Larrson?! No way...