Author Topic: Official NHL 2015-2016 Thread  (Read 91031 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: Official NHL 2015-2016 Thread
« Reply #1225 on: June 13, 2016, 02:27:31 PM »
What do I know though, nothing really. I'm under the illusion that Lemieux was better than Gretzky  :lol

:lol Well I'm under the same illusion as well!!

Like I said before:

Lemieux is the best player I've seen in a team sport. Period.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1226 on: June 13, 2016, 04:34:46 PM »
Agreed. Letang would be my other choice. He's been unbelievable, and he's probably the least replaceable player on the team.

As someone who watches him play every other night, I can't believe he isn't talked about more around the league as a premier D-man. I don't think he even made the Canadian team for the upcoming fake Olympics. IMO Tanger is a top 5 dman in the league, no question.
Eh. Letang can be fucking amazing, but I notice he has a bigger tendency for bad stretches than most guys out there. At his peak, he's definitely a top 5 defenseman, and he was at his peak these playoffs, if not even turning it on above that. He also had a really great season in general. But looking overall I don't think there's a chance he's top 5. There's guys who bring it way more consistently than he does.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1227 on: June 13, 2016, 04:39:07 PM »
I don't know. I think Letang has officially arrived to the hockey conscious. It was only a couple of years ago I was saying the same things you just said about Carey Price.

He's like Karlsson. Less points but more balls.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1228 on: June 13, 2016, 04:51:19 PM »
I wouldn't have blamed you for saying that about Price back then honestly. I'd go as far as to say Price was actually kinda overrated until like the 2013-14 season. But now he's the best and I'm grateful. :metal My post was probably a bit more negative than I intended though. I think Letang could easily make the jump into top 5 defensemen at any moment. I just wouldn't go that far yet though.

As for Karlsson, I don't think I'll ever agree with your beef with him, but meh. ;) My personal top 5 defensemen would be (in no particular order):

Karlsson
Doughty
Subban
Vlasic
Keith
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 05:00:56 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1229 on: June 13, 2016, 05:07:11 PM »
  What do I know though, nothing really. I'm under the illusion that Lemieux was better than Gretzky  :lol

You said it, not me.  :biggrin:

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1230 on: June 13, 2016, 08:27:44 PM »
Sorry Lielow but Subban is nowhere near a top 5 dman in the NHL. He's an amazing player, but I would have him in the top 15, maaaaybe top 10. If I were to pick my top 5 dmen to build my team around it would be these guys in no particular order:

Ekman-Larsson
Doughty
Hedman
Pietrangelo
Josi/Letang I can't decide.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1231 on: June 13, 2016, 08:43:09 PM »
Sounds like the Ducks hired Carlyle back for head coach  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1232 on: June 14, 2016, 05:28:13 AM »
RIP Ducks. :lol Seriously, why? I mean sure he's won a cup with them before but when you have both Niedermayer and Pronger on your team there's almost no excuse not to. I will be appalled if they continue to be as big a threat after this.

Sorry Lielow but Subban is nowhere near a top 5 dman in the NHL. He's an amazing player, but I would have him in the top 15, maaaaybe top 10. If I were to pick my top 5 dmen to build my team around it would be these guys in no particular order:

Ekman-Larsson
Doughty
Hedman
Pietrangelo
Josi/Letang I can't decide.

And I feel the same about a couple of these guys. We're very different you and I. ;)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1233 on: June 14, 2016, 07:30:55 AM »
Eh. Letang can be fucking amazing, but I notice he has a bigger tendency for bad stretches than most guys out there. At his peak, he's definitely a top 5 defenseman, and he was at his peak these playoffs, if not even turning it on above that. He also had a really great season in general. But looking overall I don't think there's a chance he's top 5. There's guys who bring it way more consistently than he does.

He weakness has always been his thinking of the game, but over the last couple seasons that has improved greatly. He has been incredibly consistent over the whole season for the Pens.

Karlsson
Doughty
Subban
Vlasic
Keith

Those are good picks, but after watching Sid completely dominate possession in the final being matched up against Vlasic, there's no way he makes a top 5 list. Also, there's no way Subban is a top 5 Dman either. I'd take Tanger in a heartbeat over either one of those guys.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #1234 on: June 14, 2016, 08:54:51 AM »

:lol Well I'm under the same illusion as well!!

Like I said before:

Lemieux is the best player I've seen in a team sport. Period.

IMO, it's no illusion, just the truth! He was the best.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1235 on: June 14, 2016, 11:04:47 AM »
Karlsson
Doughty
Subban
Vlasic
Keith

Those are good picks, but after watching Sid completely dominate possession in the final being matched up against Vlasic, there's no way he makes a top 5 list.
That's a very small sample size to use for something as far-reaching as a tops list. :P

As for Lemieux, I don't think calling him the all-time great is too outrageous. I would place him 3rd personally (Gretzky and Orr above) but you could definitely make a case for him having an even greater career than Gretzky were he unhindered by injury/disease. I'm not sure I'd agree but it's not crazy to think.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1236 on: June 14, 2016, 11:29:33 AM »
Karlsson
Doughty
Subban
Vlasic
Keith

Those are good picks, but after watching Sid completely dominate possession in the final being matched up against Vlasic, there's no way he makes a top 5 list.
That's a very small sample size to use for something as far-reaching as a tops list. :P

True, but I think it pretty telling when a supposed top 5 defense man can't show up for a final, meanwhile Tanger plays insanely well. It's a small sample size, but arguably the most telling sample.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1237 on: June 14, 2016, 03:09:00 PM »
Thoughts are with Dave Strader. I have always liked him.
https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nhl/dallas-stars/article83508312.html
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1238 on: June 14, 2016, 05:35:00 PM »
Pitt's speed was the difference in this postseason.  This Red Wing tips his hat to the champs.
Whoa you play for the Red Wings??!!

[karist, what an a-hole]

Once again, congrats Pens.  Suxx that it has been seven years since the Wings came oh so close to getting a fifth ring in twelve years, ...and now it has been seven years since 'we' have been to the conference finals.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1239 on: June 17, 2016, 06:52:22 AM »
Forgot to post this the other day... An estimated 400,000 people showed up in Pittsburgh on Wednesday for the Stanley Cup celebration parade... 400,000! That's insane.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1240 on: June 17, 2016, 07:12:02 AM »
Forgot to post this the other day... An estimated 400,000 people showed up in Pittsburgh on Wednesday for the Stanley Cup celebration parade... 400,000! That's insane.

I'd imagine when and if St Louis ever wins a cup there will be at least that amount that shows up.....I'd guess more though. I hope my grandkids will kidnap me from the old folks home I'm in and take me to it.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1241 on: June 18, 2016, 01:03:29 PM »

Very impressive considering the population.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1242 on: June 20, 2016, 07:49:20 AM »
Very impressive considering the population.

Yeah the population of the actual city is just a little over 300,000. So lots of travelers.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1243 on: June 22, 2016, 05:41:24 PM »
I love Jagr. He's easily one of my favourite players of all time (probably top 5), and I'm constantly impressed by the fact he's still playing so well at this age. That being said, it is an outrage that he won the Masterton. Dupuis should have gotten it. And if not him, Zuccarello.

EDIT: And wow, I thought PK had the Foundation award in the bag. I mean it's not even hockey related but $10 000 000! :P Jeez.

EDIT 2: Wouldn't have picked Doughty this year personally but I can't be mad that he won. It's a crime that he hadn't gotten one yet.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 06:06:50 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1244 on: June 22, 2016, 08:27:18 PM »
ANYWHO, nobody talking about Vegas yet? It's interesting. I don't mind, I think it's an interesting experiment to become the first league to expand to Vegas. I'm curious about how this will turn out.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1245 on: June 23, 2016, 06:07:03 AM »
I love Jagr. He's easily one of my favourite players of all time (probably top 5), and I'm constantly impressed by the fact he's still playing so well at this age. That being said, it is an outrage that he won the Masterton. Dupuis should have gotten it. And if not him, Zuccarello.

Zucc absolutely should have gotten that award. He almost fucking died and a year later was the leading scorer for the Rangers. That's the very definition of resiliency and perseverance which is what the Masterson is supposed to be for. With all due respect to Dupuis, he was forced to retire and therefore did not persevere and Jagr playing good hockey in his mid 40's isn't that impressive. That award belonged to Zucc and it's ridiculous that he didn't get it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 10:19:27 AM by TheCountOfNYC »
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1246 on: June 23, 2016, 07:22:40 AM »
ANYWHO, nobody talking about Vegas yet? It's interesting. I don't mind, I think it's an interesting experiment to become the first league to expand to Vegas. I'm curious about how this will turn out.

gonna be a lot more hockey players making the news for all the wrong reasons  :lol   Might be a dreaded road trip by management but anticipated the most by the players.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1247 on: June 23, 2016, 07:32:53 AM »

gonna be a lot more hockey players making the news for all the wrong reasons  :lol   Might be a dreaded road trip by management but anticipated the most by the players.

:lol

I think the NHL talent pool is already too diluted and I think a league that can't manage it's current size properly shouldn't get any bigger...But, if they think they can make money, they will expand so its inevitable.

Oh, and Sid should have won the Hart, without question.  :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1248 on: June 23, 2016, 08:42:05 AM »
I'm sorry, but 7@44 for Keith Yandle? No f'n way!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1249 on: June 23, 2016, 09:14:47 AM »
I don't like how the league doesn't have even teams now with Vegas.  I mean, this helps bring it closer to equal teams east/west, but I'd rather them add two than one for that purpose, but then again I'd rather them just relocate a team to keep from diluting the talent.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1250 on: June 23, 2016, 09:28:06 AM »
I'm definitely considering the Devils playing an away game against the Vegas team as an excuse for a trip :hat
Photobucket sucks.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1251 on: June 23, 2016, 09:45:37 AM »

Zucc absolutely should have gotten that award. He almost fucking died and a year later was the leading scorer for the Rangers. That's the very definition of resiliency and perverseness which is what the Masterson is supposed to be for. With all due respect to Dupuis, he was forced to retire and therefore did not percervere and Jagr playing good hockey in his mid 40's isn't that impressive. That award belonged to Zucc and it's ridiculous that he didn't get it.
Yeah I figured it would be a no-brainer that Zucc or Dupuis wins. I love Jagr a ton and think it's phenomenal the way he's playing right now, but it's ridiculous that he wins.

With the way that went I'm surprised Quick didn't win the Vezina despite being very, very easily outside the top 5 goalies this season. Easily the most overrated player in the league. Can't believe he ended top 3. Happy Holtbeast won though. :metal Schneider should have at least been second though.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 09:52:13 AM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1252 on: June 23, 2016, 10:13:59 AM »
I don't like how the league doesn't have even teams now with Vegas.  I mean, this helps bring it closer to equal teams east/west, but I'd rather them add two than one for that purpose, but then again I'd rather them just relocate a team to keep from diluting the talent.

Well if Quebec can ever get their act together and get a team... They would be added to the East and then they would just move a team to the West and they would be even up.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1253 on: June 23, 2016, 01:49:25 PM »
I'm sorry, but 7@44 for Keith Yandle? No f'n way!
Agreed. Yandle's one of those players that attracts overpays though. Just wait till Lucic's next contract. Will probably be just as outrageous if not more. At the same time though, it's probably more worth it to Florida than any other team. Getting a high production defenseman for Ekblad to mature alongside could prove to work out well for them, even if Yandle is highly questionable in other departments.

Also yeah, the unevenness is my biggest issue with this expansion. Disagree about the talent pool being diluted. I'd argue it's amazing how undiluted the NHL talent pool is right now. Far, far less scrubs poking around than there used to be.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 01:59:47 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1254 on: June 23, 2016, 02:06:59 PM »
Also yeah, the unevenness is my biggest issue with this expansion. Disagree about the talent pool being diluted. I'd argue it's amazing how undiluted the NHL talent pool is right now. Far, far less scrubs poking around than there used to be.

Yeah, I respectfully disagree. I think the amount of scrubs in the league is the same as it used to be, the scrubs just play differently than scrubs used to play. Either way though, I don't think its a major issue and adding one team isn't going to suddenly change the quality of play around the league, so no biggie IMO.

Also - why is unevenness an issue for you with the expansion? Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this expansion bring the league closer to being even (when I say even, I mean the number of teams in each respective conference)?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1255 on: June 23, 2016, 02:17:54 PM »

Yeah, I respectfully disagree. I think the amount of scrubs in the league is the same as it used to be, the scrubs just play differently than scrubs used to play. Either way though, I don't think its a major issue and adding one team isn't going to suddenly change the quality of play around the league, so no biggie IMO.
Well if you have a very dynamic definition of scrub, sure. But my definition is someone who is seriously levels below the competition. If you look back in the day, players like that were ubiquitous. Nowadays, not so much. Who do we have. Zac Rinaldo? Tanner Glass? A few more than that still, but the game is changing to value skill more ahead of face-punching and "moar grit" and with that parity among players is becoming more and more prevalent.

Also - why is unevenness an issue for you with the expansion? Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this expansion bring the league closer to being even (when I say even, I mean the number of teams in each respective conference)?
Good point, I had almost forgotten that. I'd rather they bring in two teams at once to just solve that problem outright, but I guess it is a bit better that way.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1256 on: June 23, 2016, 02:36:08 PM »
Well if you have a very dynamic definition of scrub, sure.

Haha yes I do.  :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1257 on: June 23, 2016, 03:18:20 PM »
What's the deal with all this talk of Montreal trading Subban?   If it does happen the Bruins thank you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1258 on: June 23, 2016, 03:57:12 PM »
Well his NMC doesn't kick in till July 1st, so lots of teams are gonna be calling Bergevin to try and lock him up in the meantime.

I'm not scared personally. Doubt Bergevin would let him go for anything but a glorious overpayment. So in the small chance that happens, yay overpay? :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1259 on: June 23, 2016, 04:06:25 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC