Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v. Gadzooks!  (Read 265768 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: DTF Chat Thread v. Gadzooks!
« Reply #1050 on: April 17, 2015, 12:03:18 AM »
Meh

Problem with custom balls like that is they are usually very basic resin balls. Little to no core. The core dictates hook and what not. No core = no hook. No hook = You're fucked unless the lane conditions are perfect. Which they never are.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1051 on: April 17, 2015, 12:04:58 AM »
Meh

Problem with custom balls like that is they are usually very basic resin balls. Little to no core. The core dictates hook and what not. No core = no hook. No hook = You're fucked unless the lane conditions are perfect. Which they never are.

I'm interested in technical bowling jargon like you're interested in the difference between Mixolydian and Locrian modes.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1052 on: April 17, 2015, 12:08:26 AM »
I love Mixolydian. :D
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1053 on: April 17, 2015, 12:09:07 AM »
 :|

and with that I bid thee good night.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1054 on: April 17, 2015, 12:10:41 AM »
 :lol

Good night Jay.

I love Mixolydian. :D

:metal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1055 on: April 17, 2015, 12:12:15 AM »
Most of the music I write is mixolydian, because it's all video-gamey music, and straight up major keys are too cheesy and happy.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1056 on: April 17, 2015, 12:13:25 AM »
I enjoy Locrian and Aeolian mostly, but Phrygian still holds a warm place in my heart. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1057 on: April 17, 2015, 12:14:56 AM »
I'm mostly self taught for music, so aside from mixolydian, I don't know any modes by name, except by my own made up names like "Megadeth scale". :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1058 on: April 17, 2015, 12:17:30 AM »
I love mixolydian too. I mean...who doesn't wanna be a jedi?

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1059 on: April 17, 2015, 12:18:50 AM »

I prefer the Dorian. I mean... who doesn't wanna travel back in time?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
!skoozdaG .v daerhT tahC FTD :eR
« Reply #1060 on: April 17, 2015, 12:20:53 AM »
:icy:

ok I'm out.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1061 on: April 17, 2015, 12:21:57 AM »
I'm mostly self taught for music, so aside from mixolydian, I don't know any modes by name, except by my own made up names like "Megadeth scale". :lol

Same here. I took lessons back when I was 8 years old and started playing guitar, but once I was in high school, everything is self-taught. Learning about modes became an interest once I started getting into more technical bands. I mean, who cares about modes when you're listening to Motley Crue or Kiss. I'm not even sure Ace Frehley can spell mode without burping in between the letters.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1062 on: April 17, 2015, 12:25:15 AM »

Same here. I took lessons back when I was 8 years old and started playing guitar, but once I was in high school, everything is self-taught. Learning about modes became an interest once I started getting into more technical bands. I mean, who cares about modes when you're listening to Motley Crue or Kiss. I'm not even sure Ace Frehley can spell mode without burping in between the letters.

And? EVH was self taught and broke all of the rules of scales. Knowing the technical stuff doesn't make the music better.
But it is interesting to break down something and see why it sounds so good so you can learn to write music yourself, whether it's because they're using some obscure mode, or just rocking the hell out on a pentatonic scale.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1063 on: April 17, 2015, 12:29:16 AM »

And? EVH was self taught and broke all of the rules of scales. Knowing the technical stuff doesn't make the music better.
But it is interesting to break down something and see why it sounds so good so you can learn to write music yourself, whether it's because they're using some obscure mode, or just rocking the hell out on a pentatonic scale.

Who said it makes it better? I was just looking for an excuse to make fun of Ace Frehley's perpetual inebriation.    ;)    But then again, I'm not the biggest EVH fan either.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1064 on: April 17, 2015, 01:01:21 AM »
I'm just used to prog fans on DTF taking digs at "simple" bands like KISS, and it gets tiring. Ace Frehley is so fried at that point that he doesn't need to be inebriated to appear to be inebriated though. :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1065 on: April 17, 2015, 01:15:04 AM »
I'm just used to prog fans on DTF taking digs at "simple" bands like KISS, and it gets tiring. Ace Frehley is so fried at that point that he doesn't need to be inebriated to appear to be inebriated though. :lol

I have no issue with "simple" bands.  Prog might be my favorite genre but my taste in music is probably more diverse than most here.  Last night at work I was listening to Marillion and Pink Floyd.  Tonight I have on Frank Sinatra and Glenn Miller.  I'm more used to the fans of "simpler" music putting down more technical musicians. So, it's really never just one-sided in that aspect.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1066 on: April 17, 2015, 01:17:27 AM »
Yeah, I've noticed that the snobbery goes both ways on DTF. It's equally annoying.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1067 on: April 17, 2015, 01:23:43 AM »
I can't say I see any snobbery the opposite direction on DTF, since there are so few people here who aren't into "DTF music" but this place gives me a very low opinion of prog fans in terms of narrow mindedness of other music. I'm basically here for GD.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1068 on: April 17, 2015, 01:27:20 AM »
I can't say I see any snobbery the opposite direction on DTF, since there are so few people here who aren't into "DTF music" but this place gives me a very low opinion of prog fans in terms of narrow mindedness of other music. I'm basically here for GD.

It might not be a prevalent but it's there.  I would expect more snobbery than non-snobbery on a prog band's forum.  I'm not saying I agree with it, but I would expect it.  I'm sure if you went to a KISS forum the demeanor towards prog would probably be about the same as the demeanor towards KISS here, give or take.

Yeah, I've noticed that the snobbery goes both ways on DTF. It's equally annoying.

Agreed.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1069 on: April 17, 2015, 01:29:31 AM »

It might not be a prevalent but it's there.  I would expect more snobbery than non-snobbery on a prog band's forum.  I'm not saying I agree with it, but I would expect it.  I'm sure if you went to a KISS forum the demeanor towards prog would probably be about the same as the demeanor towards KISS here, give or take.

I think you're kidding yourself if you think KISS fans are spending any of their time discussing prog. :P :biggrin:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1070 on: April 17, 2015, 01:35:09 AM »

I think you're kidding yourself if you think KISS fans are spending any of their time discussing prog. :P :biggrin:

Game. Set. Match. 

;)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1071 on: April 17, 2015, 01:37:37 AM »
I can't say I see any snobbery the opposite direction on DTF

Heh.

scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1072 on: April 17, 2015, 01:41:51 AM »
I see DTF also has no sense of humour or ability to detect blatant sarcasm.  ::)

Which is typical of snobby prog fans.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1073 on: April 17, 2015, 01:42:14 AM »
 :lol   Cool discussion.........I'm here mostly for GD too and not much into prog outside of some prog metal.

I've lost touch with all my modes etc......as I haven't played in yonks but I studied all that stuff (formally and informally) long ago.

These days if given a choice between watching an interview with Steven Wilson or (insert prog artist) talking about their modes and song writing or Space Ace off his face , I'd choose Ace every time just for nostalgia's sake.

Anyone remember the "Actually I'm a plumber" interview?  :rollin
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1074 on: April 17, 2015, 01:43:34 AM »
:lol   Cool discussion.........I'm here mostly for GD too and not much into prog outside of some prog metal.

I've lost touch with all my modes etc......as I haven't played in yonks but I studied all that stuff (formally and informally) long ago.

These days if given a choice between watching an interview with Steven Wilson or (insert prog artist) talking about their modes and song writing or Space Ace off his face , I'd choose Ace every time just for nostalgia's sake.

Who can forget. :lol
I saw a recent interview about the HOF induction ceremony that was classic Ace. He said something about being out of it because he took a water pill that day, so didn't hear what anyone else said. :lol Sure, Ace, a water pill.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1075 on: April 17, 2015, 01:45:45 AM »
No, of course I am completely and utterly incapable of discerning sarcasm that is so subtle that it is marked with :P

Must be the prog fan in me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1076 on: April 17, 2015, 01:56:04 AM »
No, of course I am completely and utterly incapable of discerning sarcasm that is so subtle that it is marked with :P

Hm, it must be. I think there's a support group for that now though.

Being a prog fan, that is. I don't think there's any help for lacking a sense of humour.

This post was a joke btw.

As was that last comment about needing to point out that it was a joke.

Ok, now let's go back to being friends and talking about boobs or something.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1077 on: April 17, 2015, 02:14:05 AM »
You're a boob

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1078 on: April 17, 2015, 02:15:38 AM »
I wish. Then I'd touch myself a lot.

Wait..........

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1079 on: April 17, 2015, 02:17:02 AM »

Hm, it must be. I think there's a support group for that now though.

Being a prog fan, that is. I don't think there's any help for lacking a sense of humour.

This post was a joke btw.

As was that last comment about needing to point out that it was a joke.

Ok, now let's go back to being friends and talking about boobs or something.

NEVER

I mean, okay.

Boobs.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1080 on: April 17, 2015, 02:17:54 AM »

I bet everyone but Ace remembers it.   ;)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1081 on: April 17, 2015, 04:38:55 AM »

Exactly. If anything - having a head full of theory and scales forces you to think from the head and not from the gut.

I found this whilst on my music degree - when improvising over music I'd default to scales. I didn't want to do that. I went for a

30 minute one-on-one tutorial with one of my tutors and he said I should learn how every interval "feels" when played after

every other interval - and that was the best advice I ever got because then I started thinking melodically and could play

what I heard in my head rather than " Oh this chord is a Bm7b5 that means I'm in the key of C major which means I can play B

half diminished going into a C Ionian and possibly throw in a G dominant lick..."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1082 on: April 17, 2015, 04:39:31 AM »

I always play Dorian - probably why I look so good for my age  :angel: :angel:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1083 on: April 17, 2015, 04:42:00 AM »

My average before this league was 145.

Wow, that's like triple my average.

:biggrin: I remember a bunch of my friends and I went out bowling and we played 7 games and I won all 7.

That was a good night for me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1084 on: April 17, 2015, 05:05:07 AM »

I always play Dorian - probably why I look so good for my age  :angel: :angel:

I think that one went over my head.

Exactly. If anything - having a head full of theory and scales forces you to think from the head and not from the gut.

I found this whilst on my music degree - when improvising over music I'd default to scales. I didn't want to do that. I went for a

30 minute one-on-one tutorial with one of my tutors and he said I should learn how every interval "feels" when played after

every other interval - and that was the best advice I ever got because then I started thinking melodically and could play

what I heard in my head rather than " Oh this chord is a Bm7b5 that means I'm in the key of C major which means I can play B

half diminished going into a C Ionian and possibly throw in a G dominant lick..."

I think it's a double edged sword. Theory can be great for achieving a particular sound and understanding how to construct music, but you can also easily fall into the trap of relying too heavily on it and becoming formulaic.
I try to use my music theory to avoid sticking to the obvious, so I don't end up writing a song entirely in a stock major/minor key for example. It's always the deviations from the norm that make a song in my experience. Understanding music theory can be very helpful in avoiding cliches, so you don't end up with some generic song that sounds exactly like every other guy also stumbling across the same beginner ideas.