Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 225080 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Also, there's a whole ambience thing present throughout the whole recording that really gives it a great live feeling, unlike Luna Park that was an incredibly dry mix.

I couldn't be happier,  it's good to know Rich Chycki finally hit the spot with the band
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Also, there's a whole ambience thing present throughout the whole recording that really gives it a great live feeling, unlike Luna Park that was an incredibly dry mix.

I couldn't be happier,  it's good to know Rich Chycki finally hit the spot with the band

Can't wait to hear it!
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Sounds like a very cool release!

Offline aprilethereal

I'm really excited now, and can't wait till they release the next song/video :caffeine:
I'm a little short on money at the moment, but I'll preorder in two or three weeks, and I'll probably go for both the Bluray/CD and the DVD version. I don't have a Bluray player, but damn, I need those CDs :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
just regarding the negative opinions on the mix, I ws really pretty disappointed with LALP and thought the mix on that was below par, but I think the mix on this clip sounds really great.  Looking foward to this big time.

Really looking forward to The Mirror/Lie and IT too, actually the whole second set is awesome.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Rodni Demental

Sooooooo... we just had Luna Park and now we're getting another live release? Fine, whatever, I'll buy it.

Well.. Luna Park was delayed quite a lot. We were supposed to get it (correct me if I'm wrong) late 2012 but certainli before the release of DT12 in late 2013, ah well. Although a live album the year after a studio album isn't all too uncommon, getting 2 live albums between studio albums (and 3 if you count Happy Holidays release) is a bit more of a rarity. Won't find me complaining though... I'll take it all.

Anyway, just wanted to mention something about the blu-ray discussion. I know I'm imposing some kind of personal expectations here; but although I'm not completely surprised some people don't have a blu-ray player yet, because it's understandable that it hasn't been necessary or justifiable to them yet. I do find it to be a somewhat invalid complaint when it's become the standard medium these days. (Although arguably becoming obsolete very quickly with the use of digital media on the rise).

Regardless, The Looking Glass vid is pretty awesome, quite excited for this release.  ;D

Offline Labrie1984

I don't have a bluray player but my PS3 serves me well and allows me to watch hd movies and live concerts:) In relation to the upcoming DT dvd, I'm quite excited this time. :)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Sooooooo... we just had Luna Park and now we're getting another live release? Fine, whatever, I'll buy it.

Well.. Luna Park was delayed quite a lot. We were supposed to get it (correct me if I'm wrong) late 2012 but certainli before the release of DT12 in late 2013, ah well. Although a live album the year after a studio album isn't all too uncommon, getting 2 live albums between studio albums (and 3 if you count Happy Holidays release) is a bit more of a rarity. Won't find me complaining though... I'll take it all.
On top of that, it's not like they're regurgitating the same setlist/show. If I'm remembering right, we're only gonna be getting two repeat songs on this new release (OTBOA and BAI). That's crazy. Especially given how jam packed all 3 released have been. On top of that, if I'm counting right, between Luna Park, Happy Holidays, and this new one, there are 18 songs that have never been heard on a DT live release (not counting the YtseJams). Not to mention all the rarities like Lifting Shadows and Caught In a Web. Compare that to a band like Iron Maiden, you get a live release every year and the only 'new' songs are going to be songs from the latest album. And even that's pretty rare compared to DT. The rest are going to be songs that appear on pretty much every live album. DT can churn out as many live releases they want. I'll happily buy them all.

DT fans are the luckiest fans in the world.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
I, for one, am very glad BAI's appearing once again in the DVD. The Luna Park version doesn't do the song justice at all.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I, for one, am very glad BAI's appearing once again in the DVD. The Luna Park version doesn't do the song justice at all.

Oh yes!!  Such a great tune.  I'm also interested about the string section and the choir as well!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach

+∞

Offline nikatapi

Especially with Jordan's keys very low in the mix. Seriously, the mp3 that is given with the preorder sounds very good. Probably best live sound since Score (not that it's a great achievement), both in terms of mix and live vibe.

I'm very excited about this live album, and i can't wait to hear some of the songs with the choir-strings!

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?

On top of that, it's not like they're regurgitating the same setlist/show. If I'm remembering right, we're only gonna be getting two repeat songs on this new release (OTBOA and BAI). That's crazy. Especially given how jam packed all 3 released have been. On top of that, if I'm counting right, between Luna Park, Happy Holidays, and this new one, there are 18 songs that have never been heard on a DT live release (not counting the YtseJams). Not to mention all the rarities like Lifting Shadows and Caught In a Web. Compare that to a band like Iron Maiden, you get a live release every year and the only 'new' songs are going to be songs from the latest album. And even that's pretty rare compared to DT. The rest are going to be songs that appear on pretty much every live album. DT can churn out as many live releases they want. I'll happily buy them all.

There's more repeat songs than that. Trial of Tears was on OIALT and Live at Budokan. The Mirror appeared on the CD of LSFNY, Lie appeared on OIALT, Lifting Shadows appeared on 5YIALT, Scarred was on OIALT and Chaos in Motion, and all 4 SFAM songs were on LSFNY, plus The Dance of Eternity mostly appeared during Instrumedley on Live at Budokan.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
LSFNY was 15 years ago now, and OIALT even older than that, and it's a different line-up to either one, and JLB wasn't at his best on either of them. I don't see a problem with a bit of repetition from such old releases.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't have a bluray player but my PS3 serves me well and allows me to watch hd movies and live concerts:) In relation to the upcoming DT dvd, I'm quite excited this time. :)

The PS3 is a blu ray player as are the ps4 and xbox one.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
LSFNY was 15 years ago now, and OIALT even older than that, and it's a different line-up to either one, and JLB wasn't at his best on either of them. I don't see a problem with a bit of repetition from such old releases.

Me neither, I just wanted to point it out. :P

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

No prob. Mosh was only referring to repeats with LALP though. :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

There's more repeat songs than that. Trial of Tears was on OIALT and Live at Budokan. The Mirror appeared on the CD of LSFNY, Lie appeared on OIALT, Lifting Shadows appeared on 5YIALT, Scarred was on OIALT and Chaos in Motion, and all 4 SFAM songs were on LSFNY, plus The Dance of Eternity mostly appeared during Instrumedley on Live at Budokan.

I think he was obviously referring to repeats from the Luna Park DVD and Christmas CD.

Besides, DT has so many releases now that it is nearly impossible to have a lot of songs on a new DVD release that haven't been on a prior one (not counting songs from the newest album at the time).

Even still, three of the five songs that will be there from Awake have never been on an official DVD before, and a fourth (Scarred) was on one that was a bad release anyway (Scarred on Chaos in Motion).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Any new release of songs from Chaos in Motion would be effectively new to me.  That DVD is hard to watch.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Any new release of songs from Chaos in Motion would be effectively new to me.  That DVD is hard to watch.
Oh yeah, agreed.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
I'm looking forward to listen the Boston version of Scarred. That's going to be one big upgrade from the Chaos in Motion version.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Seriously.

I am too.

And so is Blob.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Xenon

I'm looking forward to listen the Boston version of Scarred. That's going to be one big upgrade from the Chaos in Motion version.
It is possible to upgrade Scarred? Even if it was in Live at Budokan, it would be absolutly horrible  ;D

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
It is possible to upgrade Scarred? Even if it was in Live at Budokan, it would be absolutly horrible  ;D

reported
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Mosh

No prob. Mosh was only referring to repeats with LALP though. :)
Yup exactly. And the Holidays CD, though I guess that  doesn't matter since there are no repeats from the Holiday CD besides OTBOA, which is already on luna park.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline metropofreak

• I like turtles
Does anyone know how big the poster will be in the blue-ray/cd package?

Offline a8ac

I was worried that this would sound like LALP did (very dry mix, no ambience at all), im glad it didnt, I love how the Drums sound on this one, and LaBrie's voice sounded surprisingly good too, but the guitar and keyboard sound mono and i dont know why, I really hope they are going to change it for the final release (though I dont think they are).

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I wish they would have pulled out Blind Faith too so we could have a non horrendous version of that too.

Offline Mosh

I wouldn't be against any songs from Disc 1 of Six Degrees at this point. Horribly underrepresented in the DVDs. Although I get that it's kinda hard to fit them in, given the length and such. I at least want TGP and Blind Faith on DVD.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
I was worried that this would sound like LALP did (very dry mix, no ambience at all), im glad it didnt, I love how the Drums sound on this one, and LaBrie's voice sounded surprisingly good too, but the guitar and keyboard sound mono and i dont know why, I really hope they are going to change it for the final release (though I dont think they are).
Read a couple of the pages in this thread. I reported that upon pre-ordering the album and getting the mp3 of The Looking Glass the whole "mono" thing is a youtube video strange antic. The original recording is wide, stereo, vivid and very spacious. JP's harmonies are panned to the sides, so they are not really present in the youtube video considering they only kept some of the center channels for some strange reason. The keyboards are very present and the crowd is always there.

It's amazing.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I can only imagine the 5.1 Blu Ray Lossless sound!!!

I'll have to crank the 2 live Rush Blu Rays I have by the same director.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline a8ac

Read a couple of the pages in this thread. I reported that upon pre-ordering the album and getting the mp3 of The Looking Glass the whole "mono" thing is a youtube video strange antic. The original recording is wide, stereo, vivid and very spacious. JP's harmonies are panned to the sides, so they are not really present in the youtube video considering they only kept some of the center channels for some strange reason. The keyboards are very present and the crowd is always there.

It's amazing.
Wow that made my day, cant be more excited!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

reported

Seriously.

I am too.

And so is Blob.

You're one to talk. Reported. :P

Offline Rodni Demental

^^^ Hey, this new version of Scarred might actually redeem the song in your eyes! Should be interesting.  :D