Author Topic: 2013 NCAA Football  (Read 19665 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
2013 NCAA Football
« on: August 02, 2013, 09:24:19 AM »
Coaches poll came out today, guess its time to start this thing....

:gobears:

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: 2013 NCAA Football
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 11:14:48 AM »
Coming to you from the heart of SEC country...

Fuck Notre Damn

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 12:35:21 PM »
Let's go Buckeyes!

Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 02:11:35 PM »
Tuition for concussions let's get this going!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 08:23:12 PM »
Because it really, truly can not be stated enough...

Fuck Notre Damn

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 05:10:51 AM »

Our last season in FCS and the Southern Conference.  I hope we can make it a good one.  Since we are in transition to FCS this season, we are ineligible for the post-season playoffs, so I hope we can go undefeated (or 11-1, I realize we have Georgia on the schedule).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 07:29:20 AM »

As a long time Tennessee Volunteer fan, I think Smokey and the team will be doing this alot this year :sad:

Offline T-ski

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 08:44:36 AM »
On Wisconsin!

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 12:05:07 PM »
I bet you're all expecting me to say Fuck Notre Damn.

Go Penn State and Virginia Tech

and fuck Notre Damn

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 01:29:49 PM »

and fuck Notre Damn

Bama took care of that ass already....

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 02:30:42 PM »
I would prefer Superfans predictions come true, where ND's opponent = DA BEARS.

Ditka 2490, ND 0

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 06:55:05 PM »
Go Huskies!!!!  PAC-12 Represent!!

DAWGS!!! Woof-woof-woof!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT57gi1s9rA

:biggrin:

Seeing as my in laws both have doctorates from and taught at Bama, and there is a photo of my wife as a small child sitting on the Bears lap in his office, and we own one of his hats; Alabama has a strong presence in our house. I'm okay with that. At least it wasn't Michigan. I would have never married her if it were Michigan.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 07:20:59 PM »
At least it wasn't Michigan. I would have never married her if it were Michigan.
I like the way you think!  :tup
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 07:59:31 PM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 07:35:48 PM »
Can't wait for the season. I got 10 tickets for the opener of Penn State vs. Syracuse at Met life Stadium (where jets and giants play) which is awesome because its the first time I can see PSU play locally and I got friends, family, and coworkers going so it should be a great time.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 08:25:40 PM »
Dark Castle...I don't want to have to hate you, I really don't.  :biggrin:

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 08:13:51 AM »

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 09:02:10 AM »
Go OU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 12:12:45 AM »
I know this is a college football thread, not a high school thread, but I wanted to post this somewhere.  From here in North Carolina, although down east from where I live.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/north-carolina-football-coach-suspended-hidden-offensive-acronym-152722565.html

lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 12:23:31 AM »
That's kinda awesome that the opposing coach called them out on it. Rivalry at it's best. :lol

And a big lol at Yahoo censoring the FU with the black circles.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 06:03:04 AM »
GO BLUE

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 04:14:24 PM »
One more year until College football takes a big step toward crowning a legitimate champion.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 06:00:13 PM »
That's bull. Single elimination of any kind is a silly method, whether one game or a field of 64. The more teams you put in a playoff and the fewer games it takes to eliminate a team, the more chance you crown someone undeserving. What if three teams deserve serious consideration for being national champion? 2 teams leaves someone out and 4 teams gives some lucky program a chance to have a couple good games define their season. 2 isn't better than 4 and 4 isn't better than 2.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 06:13:28 PM »
2 is definitely better than 4 in terms of college football.  There are too many teams and too many unknowns to determine the top 2 so top 4 is definitely better.  Granted, top 8 is better than top 4 and top 16 is better than top 8 but baby steps...

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 07:11:55 PM »
That's bull. Single elimination of any kind is a silly method, whether one game or a field of 64. The more teams you put in a playoff and the fewer games it takes to eliminate a team, the more chance you crown someone undeserving. What if three teams deserve serious consideration for being national champion? 2 teams leaves someone out and 4 teams gives some lucky program a chance to have a couple good games define their season. 2 isn't better than 4 and 4 isn't better than 2.

Tell that to the teams that have had perfect seasons in the past and still didn't get a chance to play for the National Championship.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 09:17:12 PM »
That's bull. Single elimination of any kind is a silly method, whether one game or a field of 64.
That is bull.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2013, 10:44:46 AM »
Don't fool yourself, single elimination is absurd in judging teams. It is exciting, easy to understand, and easy to plan. Too bad it is brutal, giving weaker teams the best shot at succeeding in postseason. It's not a method for trying to find the most deserving champion over a season or even trying to find the best team of a bunch. More teams and fewer games needed for elimination is a great format for many teams, but not so much for the absolute best teams.

There is no fixed postseason format of any reasonable length that can guarantee it is always better than any other. If we really wanted to try to crown a deserving champion we would have to be willing to let some committee decide both teams and playoff format after the regular season. That should include the possibility of anything from no postseason and just crowning someone all the way to including all teams in the postseason. It'll never happen for good reason (I am not saying this is a good idea, at all). Fans just need to realize that thinking one format will always be better than another is delusional.

Take NCAA basketball and 10 team conference with double round robin. Team goes 18-0 with second place going 12-6. They are clear champions, but instead they get thrown into a 10 team conference tournament even that 0-18 team is given a shot in. That's a case where maybe someone at the end should just say, "hey, we have a champion." On the other hand, if everyone goes 9-9, a free for all tournament makes a lot of sense (except the byes situation).

Tell that to the teams that have had perfect seasons in the past and still didn't get a chance to play for the National Championship.
Don't ignore what I was saying or anything, you'd hate to do that. It's not even possible that I pointed that exact problem with only giving 2 teams a chance. Anyone that points out problems with larger tournament fields obviously is saying less teams is better even when they are making it clear they are saying both sides have issues.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2013, 10:46:28 AM »
Go Noles

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2013, 01:53:27 PM »
Don't fool yourself, single elimination is absurd in judging teams. It is exciting, easy to understand, and easy to plan. Too bad it is brutal, giving weaker teams the best shot at succeeding in postseason. It's not a method for trying to find the most deserving champion over a season or even trying to find the best team of a bunch. More teams and fewer games needed for elimination is a great format for many teams, but not so much for the absolute best teams.

There is no fixed postseason format of any reasonable length that can guarantee it is always better than any other. If we really wanted to try to crown a deserving champion we would have to be willing to let some committee decide both teams and playoff format after the regular season. That should include the possibility of anything from no postseason and just crowning someone all the way to including all teams in the postseason. It'll never happen for good reason (I am not saying this is a good idea, at all). Fans just need to realize that thinking one format will always be better than another is delusional.

Take NCAA basketball and 10 team conference with double round robin. Team goes 18-0 with second place going 12-6. They are clear champions, but instead they get thrown into a 10 team conference tournament even that 0-18 team is given a shot in. That's a case where maybe someone at the end should just say, "hey, we have a champion." On the other hand, if everyone goes 9-9, a free for all tournament makes a lot of sense (except the byes situation).

Don't ignore what I was saying or anything, you'd hate to do that. It's not even possible that I pointed that exact problem with only giving 2 teams a chance. Anyone that points out problems with larger tournament fields obviously is saying less teams is better even when they are making it clear they are saying both sides have issues.

I didn't ignore what you were saying. Your argument was nonsense, or as someone else put it "bull".  Under the current format, many teams are already eliminated before the season ever starts. And you talk about three deserving teams...... well what happens to that third deserving team under BCS rules.

Playoffs are the way to go. If you can't beat someone in January, then you don't deserve to be a champion. Being a champion isn't having a consistently good regular season, to include wins over cupcakes. Being a champion is winning when it counts. The end.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2013, 02:37:21 PM »
:lol You didn't ignore it? You're arguing as though because I criticized playoffs that I think BCS is good. I'm criticizing your notion that it is somehow legitimate. All systems have faults. You think it's nonsense that single elimination is ideal for weaker teams in a tournament? You think it's nonsense that increasing the field size increases the odds of less deserving teams getting in? These things are unfair messes, not legitimate systems.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2013, 03:43:56 PM »
:lol You didn't ignore it? You're arguing as though because I criticized playoffs that I think BCS is good. I'm criticizing your notion that it is somehow legitimate. All systems have faults. You think it's nonsense that single elimination is ideal for weaker teams in a tournament? You think it's nonsense that increasing the field size increases the odds of less deserving teams getting in? These things are unfair messes, not legitimate systems.

By that logic, you're ignoring that I said that this would be "a big step", which means that while the new system won't be perfect, it's a step in the right direction.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2013, 03:50:34 PM »
Im confused, Yorost, would you rather have the BCS or a 4 team playoff?

I get what you say that the best format to choosing a champ would be whatever makes sense given the way the season ends.  Thats good and all because you make valid points, but there is also the reality that it doesnt make sense to have a champ decided by rules that will be decided at seasons end.  So the reality is, do you really think a four team playoff is worse than the BCS?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2013, 07:11:56 PM »
yorost, bringing up a round robin is nonsense in football because football is only played one game a week.  You can't have a national championship determined by round robin, you have have a single-elimination playoff or the old bowl system where you just pick two teams. 

If college football used a round robin to determine a national championship, we would still be having the 2005 playoffs today.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2013, 03:12:21 PM »
Im confused, Yorost, would you rather have the BCS or a 4 team playoff?
Playoff. more exciting and gives more teams involved. I'm worried about extending seasons on students and athletes not used to that grind, but 8 or 16 would be even nicer. Preferred system does not mean I think it is smarter for naming a champion. I think alluded to it earlier, March Madness might be my favourite postseason, but it's bonkers for finding a 'legitimate' champion.  Most teams in the field have no serious claim to deserving the championship. ...it's another story, but I hate CBB auto-bids going to conference tournament winners. It renders the regular season almost pointless for 1-bid conferences. I think the NCAA should get a choice between the regular season champ and tournament champ, then the one left out gets a auto NIT bid. If your season stunk, getting to the NIT on a nice little conference tourney run is still a big plus. The regular season champ still needs to be serious in the tournament of the 2nd or 3rd place team stealing their bid if one has a better resume.

I get what you say that the best format to choosing a champ would be whatever makes sense given the way the season ends.  Thats good and all because you make valid points, but there is also the reality that it doesnt make sense to have a champ decided by rules that will be decided at seasons end.
Well, that's dead on as to why I said there were good reasons it shouldn't happen. It's a nice thought, but it's still a debatable topic, hard to plan for, and doesn't consider revenue. Naming a champion might make sense in some scenarios, but, shit, that's boring and stupid business.

yorost, bringing up a round robin is nonsense in football because football is only played one game a week.  You can't have a national championship determined by round robin, you have have a single-elimination playoff or the old bowl system where you just pick two teams. 

If college football used a round robin to determine a national championship, we would still be having the 2005 playoffs today.
The point had zero to do with football. I was just illustrating my point about why each year can have different formats that make more sense. The 10 team basketball round robin is nice because many view it as a 'proper' conference champion. It's not that it would be the same in football, it's just that we can't say 2,4, 8, or 16 is more legitimate than the other for every year. Any one of those could make the most subjective sense in different years.

By that logic, you're ignoring that I said that this would be "a big step", which means that while the new system won't be perfect, it's a step in the right direction.
Uh, no, again. It's a step in the right direction for some things, like money, but not a clear step forward in finding a legitimate champion. It will be in some years, others it will not. It's neither forwards or backwards in that regard, it's just different.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2013, 04:21:46 AM »

The point had zero to do with football.
Well, it's a football thread, so forgive my confusion.