Author Topic: 2013 NCAA Football  (Read 19762 times)

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Re: 2013 NCAA Football
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2013, 08:15:32 AM »
It's something common to sports/games, not just a football thing. When you do examples you try to do simple and extreme. It doesn't have to transfer exactly to football for the idea to be there.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2013, 09:10:23 AM »
Can we just all agree to hate on Notre Damn?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2013, 09:25:53 AM »
It's something common to sports/games, not just a football thing. When you do examples you try to do simple and extreme. It doesn't have to transfer exactly to football for the idea to be there.
On a practical level, yes it does.  Single elimination is what works best FOR FOOTBALL.  Trust me, if there was a better way, the NFL would have found it decades ago.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2013, 03:57:31 PM »
Obviously it is the best way for Football and for the logistics and realities of the sport, but I get Yorosts POV on the subject of best ways of determing a champ.

Anyway.... I cannot wait for college football to start.  :yarr

I just moved and freaked out because I couldnt't find my set of 8 tickets for the PSU/Syracuse game for which everyone already paid thier 88 bucks to me, but after hours of searching I finally found it behind my desk drawer where it must have somehow fallen.  :metal

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2013, 11:17:27 AM »
On a practical level, yes it does.  Single elimination is what works best FOR FOOTBALL.  Trust me, if there was a better way, the NFL would have found it decades ago.
Cramx3 got what I was saying above, it's not about what format should be used. I fully support single elimination as a postseason format in football. It would be really hard to argue for multi elimination in the sport, but that doesn't mean it doesn't suffer from the same problems. This whole mess was in response to heading towards 'legitimate' champions, not what should be used.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2013, 02:50:58 PM »
OK, finally got up the nerve to look at Cal's full schedule. We got games against the preseason no. 2,3,4,21,24,25... and we're breaking in a new coach, a true freshman qb, and coming off a 3-9 season.

Its gonna be a long fucking year.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2013, 03:12:32 PM »
Can we just all agree to hate on Notre Damn?

No.  Also this obsession is borderline unhealthy.

OK, finally got up the nerve to look at Cal's full schedule. We got games against the preseason no. 2,3,4,21,24,25... and we're breaking in a new coach, a true freshman qb, and coming off a 3-9 season.

Its gonna be a long fucking year.

Ouch.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2013, 03:34:35 PM »
Yup.....at least my team has its own emote.....

:gobears:

Sigh.....

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2013, 05:54:33 PM »
lonestar, remember it is just as fun to root AGAINST teams, particularly when you're set up for a down year.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2013, 06:45:18 PM »
lonestar, remember it is just as fun to root AGAINST teams, particularly when you're set up for a down year.

And to make sure, no matter what else happens, we beat Stanfurd.

Oh, and fuck SC too.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »
I can't take anymore of this Johnny Manziel bullshit. The only reason that the NCAA cares that he was making money from autographs is because they weren't getting a cut of the profits. If they were selling his autograph they wouldn't even think twice about the money, but as soon as it's a player who's profiting it's breaking the rules. Obviously there is a rule about not profiting from your own likeness, but there is also a rule about knowingly allowing someone else to profit off of your likeness. Does that not just seem hypocritical? The NCAA is a shit show. I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE. I CAN'T DO IT.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2013, 07:07:32 PM »
The NCAA has been a steaming pile of shit for years, but a rule is a rule. I just wish they didn't take so god damn long to resolve investigations. If the people at the NCAA weren't fucking idiots, we would know one way or another the result of this whole situation.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2013, 10:41:47 PM »
Honestly, I understand why there are amateurism rules.  I'm more with Quagmire.  Investigations drag on too long, then they penalize retroactively.  Johnny Hancock shouldn't have to sit out because the NCAA can't do a timely investigation and A&M doesn't want to forfeit games.  When an investigation begins, it should be like an appeal in other sports - you are free to play until it is decided.

It is a shame that Manziel decided to turn into Douche LaRouche this summer because his behavior this year is making it hard for the non A&M fan to sympathize with him.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2013, 08:48:15 AM »
I don't think he became a douche all of a sudden, he just has a higher profile all of a sudden.

It sucks that NCAA investigations punish backwards or the wrong people, but punishment isn't meant to be fair, it's meant to send a message. In this case, to scare universities into keeping watch. The people might change, but it's still the entity. I find it hard to fault the NCAA in this regard.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2013, 01:39:59 PM »
Honestly, I understand why there are amateurism rules.  I'm more with Quagmire.  Investigations drag on too long, then they penalize retroactively.  Johnny Hancock shouldn't have to sit out because the NCAA can't do a timely investigation and A&M doesn't want to forfeit games.  When an investigation begins, it should be like an appeal in other sports - you are free to play until it is decided.
Couldn't agree more. No one should be punished for the NCAA's incompetence when it comes to lengthy investigations.

Just have them play while the investigation is pending and then lay down a proper punish if the athlete is found to have violated the rules.

EDIT: The NCAA and Texas A&M agreed to suspend Manziel for the first half of the game on Saturday and apparently that closes the book on the matter. What I don't understand is why they're just suspending him for half of the game...

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2013, 02:02:57 PM »
NCAA strikes again. What a joke of a suspension for someone who knowingly broke the rules hundreds of times.  NCAA's trying to sweep this mess under the rug just like they did with Cam a few years ago. They consider Manziel to be the face of college football this season. Personally, I'd rather watch that beast in South Carolina.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2013, 03:16:31 PM »
lol, such a joke.  I mean the rules stink and all, but the guy obviously broke the rules and IMO deserves to be ineligible for the season regardless of being a Heisman winner or the face of the NCAA. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
Olbermann and Kornheiser had a great discussion about this last night.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2013, 01:16:24 AM »

Watched that three times. So much great insight from someone who knows what the hell he's talking about.

I agree with pretty much everything this writer from Yahoo says here.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2013, 03:45:17 PM »

yeah, I didn't realize Olbermann was back on ESPN, but I was surfing channels and found it.  They were blunt, but mostly right about the charade that is college football.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan, but I wish we could turn back the clock so it wasn't ruled by money.  If they do go to an outright pay-for-play, I hate to say it, but I'm out.  I can't watch it.  There's a reason I don't watch the NFL.  I can't just root for laundry.  As bad as it is now, at least the athletes are forced to act like students, so in some sense they are even if their heart's not in it.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2013, 04:27:33 PM »
Man...my alma maters are going to get fucking pasted on Saturday...W&M at WVU and UMass at Wisconsin.  The forecast calls for pain.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2013, 08:52:41 PM »
Going to see Ohio State play Buffalo tomorrow with my family. It's their second football game (both will be OSU games). I only wish OSU was actually playing Vanderbilt this weekend, but instead they pussied out last year so they didn't have to play in Columbus.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2013, 09:58:51 PM »
Actually, the SEC made that call, not Vanderbilt. It was due to the league expansion.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2013, 07:08:33 AM »
Got my PSU cooler packed with food and beers and my PSU chair in the trunk. Just getting ready to shower and put my PSU jersey on. Let's go P S U!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2013, 10:55:42 AM »
Appalachian State has a tough opener tonight at Montana.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2013, 11:05:30 AM »
Man...my alma maters are going to get fucking pasted on Saturday...W&M at WVU and UMass at Wisconsin.  The forecast calls for pain.
W&M leads WVU 14-7

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2013, 11:15:35 AM »
W&M leads WVU 14-7

yeah, this is kinda freaky.  However, I now expect this will be a typical game between a Big 12 team and an overmatched opponent...W&M will go into the locker room either up or tied, and WVU will come out and put up three touchdowns in the following ten minutes.

But you never know...WVU is looking very sloppy, even by their usual standards.
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2013, 11:39:03 AM »
Fuck. Yes. It's finally here. God I fucking love college football.

Go Bears!!!!!

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2013, 01:57:02 PM »
Fuck. Yes. It's finally here. God I fucking love college football.

Go Bears!!!!!

GO OU!!!!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2013, 09:21:13 AM »
Well, Cal lost as expected, but a lot of pleasant surprises in the game. The new qb looks exciting as hell, and seems ready to jump into the game which is surprising for a true freshman. The Oregon style offense, win or lose, should at least keep Cal in games and should give the fans something exciting to watch, as opposed to Tedfords methodical and boring offense. Run defense is painful to watch, the real season will be decided on how they develop there. I'm sure Cal will get an eye full of everything when they play Ohio St. and Oregon back to back in two weeks. Hoooooooooo boy.......

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2013, 10:28:10 AM »
Johnny Manziel was a total asshat yesterday.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2013, 10:52:34 AM »
Johnny Manziel was a total asshat yesterday.

I prefer to refer to him as "Football Beiber".

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2013, 11:04:33 AM »
 :rollin

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2013, 12:04:14 PM »
W&M leads WVU 14-7

yeah, this is kinda freaky.  However, I now expect this will be a typical game between a Big 12 team and an overmatched opponent...W&M will go into the locker room either up or tied, and WVU will come out and put up three touchdowns in the following ten minutes.

But you never know...WVU is looking very sloppy, even by their usual standards.

WVU has a lot of tough schools in the Big 12 to face.  I believe the face OU next. The new QB looked good for OU last night. He is no Sam Bradford or Landry Jones though.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2013, 12:12:23 PM »
WVU has a lot of tough schools in the Big 12 to face.  I believe the face OU next. The new QB looked good for OU last night. He is no Sam Bradford or Landry Jones though.

WVU had enough talent to overcome their sloppiness last year, but I don't see that repeating itself this year as they make their way through the Big 12.  Didn't see the OU game, but I'm not surprised they look decent.  UT has 19 returning starters, and once Ash woke up, he was on fire...I think this may be UT's "up" year.  K-State, on the other hand...