Author Topic: The Movie Thread v. Order of the Phoenix  (Read 214948 times)

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
Re: The Movie Thread v. Order of the Phoenix
« Reply #3290 on: August 09, 2014, 09:47:05 PM »
I have a movie called Beneath to finish tonight but if I have enough time, might try sneaking Coherence in cause it really sounds like my cup of tea? Have you seen the movie Blue Ruin?
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3291 on: August 09, 2014, 09:53:36 PM »
Funny you ask that, I've been meaning to watch it for a while and simply forget about it. I shan't this time! Sounds awesome.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #3292 on: August 09, 2014, 10:02:26 PM »
I feel like its a movie that will be a hit or miss with many but it was a hit for me and with the way you describe Coherence seems to show that you might like Blue Ruin.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3293 on: August 09, 2014, 10:05:29 PM »
 :tup

Except I'll have to save it for tomorrow, gotta be up early for friggin' BRUNCH. Stupid word. Stupid clientele.

RIP DTP.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #3294 on: August 09, 2014, 10:10:05 PM »
I'm down for Brunch right now at 9pm. Agree on the sorta stupid word though.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #3295 on: August 09, 2014, 10:43:13 PM »
Just watched Sin City for the first time.  I liked it, but i think starting with the extended cut was a bad choice.  Having each section of the film played in chronological order with full credits after each part made it a little jarring.  But overall i thought it was really well done and it made me excited for the second one  :tup

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3296 on: August 09, 2014, 10:51:56 PM »
Just watched Sin City for the first time.  I liked it, but i think starting with the extended cut was a bad choice.  Having each section of the film played in chronological order with full credits after each part made it a little jarring.  But overall i thought it was really well done and it made me excited for the second one  :tup

whoa, really!?  That would suck it seems.  Definitely go back and watch it as it was originally released.  Cool movie.  Love the visuals.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3297 on: August 10, 2014, 01:10:19 PM »

whoa, really!?  That would suck it seems.  Definitely go back and watch it as it was originally released.  Cool movie.  Love the visuals.

I agree. I don't really like the Director's Cut... though the real version is my favourite movie ever.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3298 on: August 10, 2014, 08:55:14 PM »
I just watched Zoo, documentary about the guy who got fucked to death by a horse in Washington. It was creepy and attempting to make these horse-fucking guys look more human, but it mostly just made them look delusional. It was also unnecessarily artsy and more boring than a movie about horse-fucking should ever be.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3299 on: August 10, 2014, 09:13:56 PM »
WTF
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3300 on: August 10, 2014, 09:21:15 PM »
I just watched Zoo, documentary about the guy who got fucked to death by a horse in Washington. It was creepy and attempting to make these horse-fucking guys look more human, but it mostly just made them look delusional. It was also unnecessarily artsy and more boring than a movie about horse-fucking should ever be.

With most people, you hear their stories and appreciate your perspective.  You see how, if you were in their shoes, you might have done the same things they did.

But there's a rare few human beings where understanding their story actually makes you sympathize less.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3301 on: August 10, 2014, 09:34:36 PM »
I guess this one bucked the trend.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #3302 on: August 10, 2014, 09:39:51 PM »
I'ma use that movie at my next movie family gathering.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3303 on: August 11, 2014, 05:21:46 AM »
How does one get fucked by a horse exactly? Surely the horse isn't going to be cooperative. Did the horse get in the position, but crush the guy? I just can't imagine the guy being successful in getting the horse's wang in his bum.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #3304 on: August 11, 2014, 05:23:02 AM »
Maybe he dressed up as a sexy lady horse first?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3305 on: August 11, 2014, 05:28:06 AM »
Maybe he dressed up as a sexy lady horse first?

:rollin.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3306 on: August 11, 2014, 08:39:32 AM »
:lol

No, the horses are very willing. These guys build up relationships with them (and in the movie even said they "love" them and care more about them than humans). They're animals, they have a sex drive and they don't know much of a difference between another horse and a human when it comes to that stuff. Apparently, according to one of the guys in the movie, they pick up on your pheromones and I guess they get horny because you are, then they go for it once you assume the position. They were successful in getting the horse to fuck the guy, and the guy was killed from internal bleeding/a perforated colon  :|

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3307 on: August 11, 2014, 09:49:50 AM »
Well, horses are, um, big.  Not sure how he thought that would be a good idea.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3308 on: August 11, 2014, 09:53:15 AM »
Well, horses are, um, big.  Not sure how he thought that would be a good idea.

Yeah they're as big as a baby's arm..

... if the baby had an arm like a huge horse wang :oops:

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3309 on: August 11, 2014, 06:27:35 PM »
Yeah. Ouch.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #3310 on: August 11, 2014, 08:55:50 PM »
Yeah so TioJorge, I watched Coherence last night. Man that movie was the bee's knees man. I was totally engaged to it the entire time pretty much and it had me thinking the whole time trying to figure out what was going on along with the characters. Everything was pretty much done right in this movie. Good plot, pace, and unique feel to it. Has some interesting quirks to it too like the editing and how it cuts off from one scene to the next. This movie reminded me in many ways, plot-wise, to the movie Primer. So if you haven't seen that one, you should check it out.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3311 on: August 11, 2014, 09:00:21 PM »
 :tup :tup Schweet; glad you enjoyed! I have indeed seen Primer and it was the first movie I thought of before I even finished Coherence for the first time. Another classic. Good stuff!

RIP DTP.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #3312 on: August 11, 2014, 09:19:32 PM »
Nice. Have you seen Upstream Color? The new movie from the guy who directed Primer?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3313 on: August 11, 2014, 10:55:22 PM »
Nice. Have you seen Upstream Color? The new movie from the guy who directed Primer?

That is quite possibly the worst "movie" I have ever seen. I don't think any movie has made me angrier for wasting my time. :lol
I really liked Primer though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #3314 on: August 11, 2014, 11:09:04 PM »

That is quite possibly the worst "movie" I have ever seen. I don't think any movie has made me angrier for wasting my time. :lol

I will agree that Primer is the better movie of the two and that Upstream Color just has too many things going for it that don't make sense or are unnecessary. But man, the cinematography in it is great and some of the ideas they used were really interesting. Just too confusing and artsy-fartsy feeling throughout but it sucked me in. I still hope he makes movies.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3315 on: August 11, 2014, 11:11:24 PM »

I will agree that Primer is the better movie of the two and that Upstream Color just has too many things going for it that don't make sense or are unnecessary. But man, the cinematography in it is great and some of the ideas they used were really interesting. Just too confusing and artsy-fartsy feeling throughout. I still hope he makes movies.

Yeah, obviously the artsy style wasn't my kind of thing. It's not like it was doing something I'd typically enjoy but did it badly, it just did something I wouldn't usually enjoy.
But it was well executed for what it was. If he makes something else a bit more digestible, I'd still check it out.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3316 on: August 11, 2014, 11:11:54 PM »
I haven't seen either of those but a friend told me I HAVE to see them. They're on the list...

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #3317 on: August 11, 2014, 11:18:32 PM »

I will agree that Primer is the better movie of the two and that Upstream Color just has too many things going for it that don't make sense or are unnecessary. But man, the cinematography in it is great and some of the ideas they used were really interesting. Just too confusing and artsy-fartsy feeling throughout. I still hope he makes movies.

Yeah, obviously the artsy style wasn't my kind of thing. It's not like it was doing something I'd typically enjoy but did it badly, it just did something I wouldn't usually enjoy.
But it was well executed for what it was. If he makes something else a bit more digestible, I'd still check it out.

Or no doubt the style the movie was done was going to be either a hit or miss for everybody who watches the movie and I sorta fall in line of the ones who liked it. I would just like him to do something similar but less confusing or convoluted in making everything in the movie hard to understand at first and not being explicit about certain things in his movie.

I suggest you watch Primer first if you do. Crazy movie in just about every single way possible plot wise but still easier to watch and digest than Upstream Color.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3318 on: August 11, 2014, 11:36:49 PM »
Or no doubt the style the movie was done was going to be either a hit or miss for everybody who watches the movie and I sorta fall in line of the ones who liked it. I would just like him to do something similar but less confusing or convoluted in making everything in the movie hard to understand at first and not being explicit about certain things in his movie.

I knew the general concept of what the movie was about going in, but in the end it still just got too convoluted for me. I'm probably quite far on the wrong side of the line for that movie. I didn't much like 2001: A Space Odyssey either (didn't hate it, just found it boring after a couple of views).

I found Primer to be relatively easy to follow though, until the end when it got really nuts and there was a lot to keep track of thrown at you in a short span of time, which I understood better after a second viewing. My main confusion was actually at one scene where I felt some amateur editing made it confusing, rather than the plot.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #3319 on: August 11, 2014, 11:55:51 PM »
I knew the general concept of what the movie was about going in, but in the end it still just got too convoluted for me. I'm probably quite far on the wrong side of the line for that movie. I didn't much like 2001: A Space Odyssey either (didn't hate it, just found it boring after a couple of views).

I found Primer to be relatively easy to follow though, until the end when it got really nuts and there was a lot to keep track of thrown at you in a short span of time, which I understood better after a second viewing. My main confusion was actually at one scene where I felt some amateur editing made it confusing, rather than the plot.

I guess it has to do with the ending not really resolving or should I say explaining better what occurred during the movie or hell, what was really the whole point about it. I don't think its all about you being the wrong intended audience for the movie since I also think 2001 is a really overrated movie and boring which makes it a chore to watch it all.

Primer is easier to follow since what makes it confusing as the movie progresses is all the time travel shenanigans. And yeah, his editing needed a bit better work on Primer which I think shows it got better on Upstream Color since some scenes in Primer seemed to jump from one thing to another too suddenly if I'm remembering things correctly.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3320 on: August 13, 2014, 10:59:10 AM »
So I just watched Expendables 3. It was pretty enjoyable, but like the two previous installments, it's a shame that they aren't more funny or entertaining than they are. You have a great cast and a lot of room for fun things to happen, but with the exception of a few scenes, it's too serious. In a small contrast I watched Commando again last night, and it still holds up as a really fun action movie, and a much better movie than any of the Expendables movies IMO.

I think my main problem might come from Sylvester Stallone being the leader though. I like him in specific roles, like Rambo, Rocky or Cliffhanger where he is more on his own, but being a leader for this gang, I don't know. I would have preferred someone like Arnold being the leader, because he has that charm and charisma. But considering Stallone got this baby going, of course he's going to be the lead. The dream would have been a movie like Predator but with all A-listers. Drop them in the jungle, have them go out on a crazy mission with lots of funny lines. It's not fun or entertaining just seeing them shoot down 500 henchmen. At least in the old Arnie movies he had some amazing one-liners while disposing people.

As an action movie, I'd give Expendables 3 like a 7 out of 10, similar to how I would rate the previous two. It's enjoyable, but it could have been funnier.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3321 on: August 14, 2014, 05:27:25 PM »
Commando is incredible on all counts.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
« Reply #3322 on: August 15, 2014, 12:03:54 AM »
I don't know how many horror movie fans there are here and I certantly am not a huge one but won't deny watching them or getting excited to see some of them like this one.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_babadook/

It came out already in Australia couple of months ago but since then, no other place has seen the movie be released there or you can't get it anywhere else. Thankfully though in November 28 its getting a theatrical release and most likely will be put on Video on Demand as well so can't wait man.

Offline weirdo

« Reply #3323 on: August 15, 2014, 05:34:45 AM »
Just saw The Prestige.

Ho. Ly. Shit.

I've been meaning to watch that after I saw it in this list (https://www.nerdacy.com/2013/03/22/most-mind-bending-movies-ever-made/) of "the most mind-bending movies ever made". I have always liked those type of movies and all the ones I've seen from that list are amazing. The list suffers from a lack of Donnie Darko and The Butterfly Effect, though.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #3324 on: August 15, 2014, 10:47:38 AM »
Commando is incredible on all counts.
A perfect encapsulation on what an 80's action movie was all about!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.