Author Topic: The Movie Thread v. Order of the Phoenix  (Read 212741 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The Movie Thread v. Order of the Phoenix
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 07:29:18 AM »
Let's start this thread off right.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 07:31:18 AM by Nick »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 07:31:44 AM »
And here I thought you'd kick things off with Avatar.

Oh wait, you basically did! :D
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 07:32:06 AM »
Let's start this thread off right.

Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 07:32:30 AM »
Seriously though, I have never, but do really need to see Avatar one of these days.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 07:33:51 AM »
Seriously though, I have never, but do really need to see Avatar one of these days.

Dude. Come to CT and just walk in my house. It will more than likely be playing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 07:51:39 AM »
I've never seen Avatar, and never plan to.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 08:00:44 AM »

If you're not seeing it on the big screen, it's not worth it.  It's shiny, but really nothing special if you didn't see it in theaters.

Sorry, Chino  :laugh:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 08:06:27 AM »

Why? Just to spite me?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 08:15:33 AM »

Why? Just to spite me?

No, it has nothing to do with you, my friend. :lol

I'm not as much into movies as everyone else, so it takes a lot to make me go out of my way to watch something, and nothing about Avatar looks interesting to me at all.

I'm sure the movie is just fine, but it doesn't appeal to me personally enough to want to set aside 3 hours for a movie I'm fairly sure I'm only going to consider ok.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 08:15:58 AM »

It's not nearly as bad as some people say.  The criticisms are usually fair, but overall it's a pretty entertaining movie and the story does hold together.  And even people who don't like the movie admit that the special effects are pretty impressive.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 08:33:20 AM »
The special effects are beautiful. Everything about the visual aspect of this movie is beautiful. And it's a great, albeit recycled, story. Never understood the hate, Chino knows what he's talking about on this one
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:42:31 AM by senecadawg2 »
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 08:34:53 AM »
I've only seen it in the theaters and it was visually magnificent there. I haven't seen it since, but I can imagine the experience being less on a regular screen.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 08:41:56 AM »

Why? Just to spite me?

I'm not as much into movies as everyone else, so it takes a lot to make me go out of my way to watch something, and nothing about Avatar looks interesting to me at all.

I'm sure the movie is just fine, but it doesn't appeal to me personally enough to want to set aside 3 hours for a movie I'm fairly sure I'm only going to consider ok.

I think you'd enjoy it... and I'm not just saying that as a huge fan. You like Transformers and all that jazz, you'd probably like some of the stuff in this film as well.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 08:55:14 AM »

Why? Just to spite me?

I think you'd enjoy it... and I'm not just saying that as a huge fan. You like Transformers and all that jazz, you'd probably like some of the stuff in this film as well.

As I said, I'm sure the movie is just fine, so I'm not hating on it, I just don't feel any compulsion to watch it, if that makes sense. I'm really worn out on the Hollywood movie cliches, and budget / CG / popularity don't play at all into my motivation to see movies (which I guess is surprising given that I work with CG). There are a ton of other hugely popular movies I've never seen either.

I'm very unpredictably selective with what appeals to me, and it's not to do with whether a movie is good or bad either. As you said, I like Transformers. :lol

Offline shapeup

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
You should check out Star Wars, it's pretty good.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 09:04:41 AM »
You should check out Star Wars, it's pretty good.

What banned member are you?

Offline shapeup

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 09:08:39 AM »
Mike Portnoy

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 09:11:51 AM »

Dude. Come to CT and just walk in my house. It will more than likely be playing.
Ok Chino,
We all thank you for providing us with a long standing joke on the board but I can't wrap my brain around the obsession?
I'll be honest, I have seen Avatar 4 times which is a lot for me for any movie. A couple times was at home with guests that wanted to watch it at my home.

What is so compelling about this particular movie that makes you want to live in a fantasy world with it?
Its an entertaining film, but it ain't all that. Not trying to offend you, I just want to understand.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 09:38:34 AM »

Ok Chino,
We all thank you for providing us with a long standing joke on the board but I can't wrap my brain around the obsession?
I'll be honest, I have seen Avatar 4 times which is a lot for me for any movie. A couple times was at home with guests that wanted to watch it at my home.

What is so compelling about this particular movie that makes you want to live in a fantasy world with it?
Its an entertaining film, but it ain't all that. Not trying to offend you, I just want to understand.

A valid question, imo.

It's not a bad film, but by no means is it a masterpiece either. It is pretty much "Dances With Smurfs". Having said that, I will admit that the film was visually stunning. However as someone who appreciates plot and well developed characters far more than I do special effects, I find Avatar to be a very lacking film overall.

If you're seeing something in this film that I never saw, Chino, I'd love to know what it is. I'm always open to at least attempting a re-evaluation of a film from another perspective, though I can't guarantee that it'll end up changing my opinion on the film or not.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 09:39:33 AM »

Ok Chino,

I agree with you. Surely the end must be near.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 09:41:21 AM »

Ok Chino,

Idk. Certainly not the story. Just the beauty of the world I guess. I love Earth and everything that it consists of. The ecosystems, the landscapes, the millions of distinct and unique species, its history and its story.

Watching Avatar is like watching Human Planet, Planet Earth, Life, Great Migrations, and Mutant Planet all at the same time... except it's a clean slate. It's a world that feels so incredibly real that you can forget it's not at times. Every time I watch it I find new stuff in the environment and within it's nature. I can't get enough for some reason. When I watch Avatar I'm not even really listening to what the characters are saying, or even paying attention to them that much at all really. I look all over the world and way off into the distance. I look into the unbelievably accurate world that James Cameron created. That to me is why the movie is so awesome. Every bit of that world is perfection. No organism or plant is out of place. Everything is meticulously thought out. You can clearly see the evolutionary path between everything on Pandora. It all makes sense and none of it (other than the year it takes place) feels made up or fake. To me it's nice to be able to escape to a fictitious place that still has a heavy dose of familiarity to it.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 09:46:09 AM »

If you're seeing something in this film that I never saw, Chino, I'd love to know what it is. I'm always open to at least attempting a re-evaluation of a film from another perspective, though I can't guarantee that it'll end up changing my opinion on the film or not.

I think a big part of it for me is not so much the movie itself, but the years that it took to make it. Granted I love the movie, but after watching all the behind the scenes stuff, I fell in love with it even more. My appreciation of what went into the movie is more than any other movie I've seen. Describing it wouldn't do it justice. You'd have to actually watch the behind the scenes. I'd be willing to mail you my copy to borrow if you'd be willing to actually watch it.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 09:51:57 AM »
I am a big "behind the scenes" watcher of films, myself.  I know some feel that it takes away some of the magic of the movie when you see how it's done.  For me, it only increases my appreciation of the hard work that went into it.  That portion of the Avatar BluRay is very interesting and I marvel at the ingenuity.

That said -- the story is still meh...  :)
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 10:04:02 AM »

I think a big part of it for me is not so much the movie itself, but the years that it took to make it. Granted I love the movie, but after watching all the behind the scenes stuff, I fell in love with it even more. My appreciation of what went into the movie is more than any other movie I've seen. Describing it wouldn't do it justice. You'd have to actually watch the behind the scenes. I'd be willing to mail you my copy to borrow if you'd be willing to actually watch it.

Eh, I got my dad a copy of the film that should have that in it. Thanks for the offer though!

Having said that, I am personally an amateur filmmaker myself. I act, I write screenplays, I edit films, I've helped build sets and I'm currently learning how to direct as well as learning how to be a cinematographer too. Granted I do this with the local teen film group at our local library, but I do have a level of experience in making films.

I definitely appreciate what goes on behind the scenes in making a film and there is no way that I could watch Avatar and not at least respect what Cameron managed to accomplish for film-making in terms of special effects and the long amount of time he invested in making the film.

However I personally find that for what you've listed as Avatar's qualities, it's just not enough to be deemed a "great" film for me. There has to be substance to the story and its cast for something like that. It gives the film far greater longevity and a more emotional attachment for the audience.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 11:52:11 AM »
I am a big "behind the scenes" watcher of films, myself.  I know some feel that it takes away some of the magic of the movie when you see how it's done.  For me, it only increases my appreciation of the hard work that went into it.  That portion of the Avatar BluRay is very interesting and I marvel at the ingenuity.

That said -- the story is still meh...  :)

Agreed on all of the above. Seeing the process side by side with the final product usually enhances my enjoyment of a film.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 12:17:48 PM »
Well, I'm waiting for The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug to come out in December.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 12:22:34 PM »
Well, I'm waiting for The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug to come out in December.

Yes, this. I'm very excited for this one.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2013, 02:18:06 PM »

It's not nearly as bad as some people say.  The criticisms are usually fair, but overall it's a pretty entertaining movie and the story does hold together.  And even people who don't like the movie admit that the special effects are pretty impressive.

I don't admit to that. Mostly because I don't think they're impressive.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2013, 02:24:54 PM »

I don't admit to that. Mostly because I don't think they're impressive.

That's complete bullshit. That's like saying you watched Titanic and didn't see the ship sink.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2013, 02:27:49 PM »
Nothing blew me away. I'm a sucker for practical effects, not CG bullshit.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2013, 03:46:32 PM »
Nothing blew me away. I'm a sucker for practical effects, not CG bullshit.

This. I was wowed the first time, but novelty wears off fast.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2013, 04:39:37 PM »
RIPD was a pile of donkey crap. That is all.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 04:42:36 PM »
As an experience at the theater, Avatar is probably the top of the line. As a movie by itself, it's still pretty solid. Very well made sci-fi.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2013, 04:46:04 PM »