Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 922061 times)

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
This is veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery good news!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh man I'm super hyped!!! I especially trust in the confidence that DT members show towards this album!!! Can't wait!

Offline Frank

It seems odd to me that the very aspects some reviewers seem to be praising (the sound mixing/quality, the originality and distinction from other DT works) is exactly what the more negative reviews point out as their negative points.

Perhaps it would be more odd if both "types" of reviews (negative and positive) said completely different things about the album. As it is both sides are pointing out the same things, which is perfectly normal and expected and means everybody is hearing the same album - the only difference is their varied personal reactions to it, which is good and completely expected.

Enjoyed those two blog posts. It would indeed be nice to have an album that's good to introduce to newcomers, so we'll see, although all I really (selfishly) care about is the enjoyment I personally get out of it. I'm also excited by the emphasis on Romantic "with a capital R".
Ahh, I hit the home button!
- Jordan Rudess

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
It would indeed be nice to have an album that's good to introduce to newcomers, so we'll see
That album for me is Images And Words :lol but yeah I'm waiting for a proper "here's how 'new' DT sounds like at their very best"-album to show to people.

I'm kind of worried about the "orchestral ballads"-thing, with all due respect to dear, dear Eren, that was never my cuppa tea. But I'll wait and see just like everyone else :)

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Frank

but yeah I'm waiting for a proper "here's how 'new' DT sounds like at their very best"-album to show to people.

Yep, sorry, that's what I meant. :loser:

As for me, I've never really been crazy about ballads to begin with, but if there's some intricate orchestral arrangement going on may make them more interesting to me. To echo the common sentiment once again, all we peasants can do is wait and see!
Ahh, I hit the home button!
- Jordan Rudess

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
I'm also excited by the emphasis on Romantic "with a capital R".

Me too, definitely. I get really excited when DT have some classical elements in their music, like in Overture. I think I just might love this orchestral break in the middle of Illumination Theory.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
lots of interesting things in that ADD article

"hour long"
"harkens back to the melodic, slightly more traditional songwriting of their early days"
"two of which (“The Looking Glass” and “Surrender To Reason”) recall vintage Rush"
"That’s bulls**t"
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
With two of these reviews using words like Romantic and neo-classical, I really hope they know what they're talking about. Or, more like, I hope the definitions they're thinking of are the same that come to my mind when I hear those terms.

Probably not since I don't expect any of them play classical music or have theory training....but one can hope :D
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline 425

Okay, I am officially excited.

Quote from: Roadrunner Records
Good morning everyone! I have a feeling many of you are going to be pleased by what's coming up in a few hours.

Posted about half an hour ago on their Facebook page, possibly DT related?

And if this does turn out to be Dream Theater related... It's morning at DTF.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Shadow2222

Good morning everyone! I have a feeling many of you are going to be pleased by what's coming up in a few hours.

I think it is about Trivium, since RRUSA twitter posted that Trivium news was coming today.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Labrie1984

Yeah, seemingly Trivium-related.

Offline BlastParadigm

I think it is about Trivium, since RRUSA twitter posted that Trivium news was coming today.
Huge bummer if that's the case  :-\

Offline Labrie1984

DT single won't drop until all of us are fat and bald. I swear!

Offline 425

Yeah, didn't even look at the Twitter. Okay, well, we still got a bunch of FANTASTIC stuff today in the form of solid information from the listening party. So no one do anything bad to any RR employees.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
*snip*

I have already posted several times warning folks not to link to sources that are not authorized.  If someone who is not authorized to have a copy of the album says something they shouldn't, or even if someone who has a legitimate copy says something they aren't authorized to release, you cannot link to it.  If you aren't sure, ask before posting.  This is your official warning.  Depending on the nature of the infraction, future infractions by others are likely to result in either temp. bans until after 9/24, or perm bans.

EDIT:  And the above includes discussing, asking for information about, quoting, etc. discussions on other websites if doing so violates the rules here.  Posts in this thread that cross that line are being deleted, and future violations will result in warnings, bans, etc.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:33:43 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
People aren't probably conscious enough of the fact that RR has already a schedule for releasing their stuff, all of it. They're not going to cave in for some DT TODAY?! PLS WHY NO INFO AT ALL swarms.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
I'm down for some news on Trivium, anyway.

Offline Flacracker

Why are there so many people here? Did something happen?

Offline lyfeternl

*snip*

I have already posted several times warning folks not to link to sources that are not authorized.  If someone who is not authorized to have a copy of the album says something they shouldn't, or even if someone who has a legitimate copy says something they aren't authorized to release, you cannot link to it.  If you aren't sure, ask before posting.  This is your official warning.  Depending on the nature of the infraction, future infractions by others are likely to result in either temp. bans until after 9/24, or perm bans.

Good, because perms are horrible... :neverusethis:
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
A section in a song with just bass drums and guitar? There's plenty of those on other DT releases isn't there? It must be somewhat extended to warrant a mention at the listening party.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member

:coolio
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline 425

We've determined it's most likely Trivium.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Maybe Trivium is releasing a single? :caffeine:
I mean most likely not considering their album comes out in October, but woooo.
What if... We get multi band news from RR today?

Offline aprilethereal

I found it really interesting that IT is mainly instrumental :huh:

Offline Lowdz

My mate Phil's initial thoughts are very different to that review so I'm not worried. And the drums "absolutley ridiculous" apparently. Hopefully in a good way. And Phil said no real ballads so hmm. And a couple of songs different to anything DT have done before.

Not worried by that review at all.

This is in line with Rich Wilson's claim that DT12 is not ADTOE part 2.

I like the fact that the songs are shorter (except the 20 min epic) on DT12. It can mean more concise songwriting and experimentation. Then again, I think Octavarium is a fantastic record from start to end (and beginning again ;)) and as an album has incredible stayingpower with me...I still think it is getting better with time.

Plus, I remembered norwegian newspapers giving ADTOE bad reviews to mediocre reviews and I ended up loving that album. One mans thrash is another mans treasure I guess!

Phil's exact quote was "not as subtle" as ADTOE. After 3 listens.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member

We've determined it's most likely Trivium.
Oh then plz continue....  :P
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Mangini interview

https://www.metalinsider.net/interviews/mike-mangini-on-new-dream-theater-album-i-knew-when-to-be-quiet-and-when-to-offer-something?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MetalInsider+(Metal+Insider)
"Sure. And that brings me to my next question: Dream Theater fans are pretty fanatical. What is it like dealing with that level of dedication from fans?

- It’s fantastic, because what I get out of it is that they are an educated bunch. And a lot of them, when I dig in and we come, a lot of them have great senses of humor. And they call you and they recognize everything, and you get a lot of people that are genuinely good, saying things that if they maybe bust your chops here and there, it’s all good. It’s all good stuff. And even for the fans that haven’t seen me, or won’t embrace us maybe until they hear this record, that’s ok with me, because even if Mike [Portnoy] is their prototypical favorite drummer, well then I applaud that, because who am I to say who your favorite musician is? It’s fine. It’s all good to me, because we’re in forward motion, OK? We are going to the next thing, and the next thing, and the next thing. It’s like creating a wig. I’m not looking too far behind me. I’m looking in front of me so I don’t hit a tree. So I’m not worried about that stuff"

I love this man.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol Mangini is great! I think it was Rob Webster who said, "He's properly bonkers, isn't he?" Or something close to that.

Awesome.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
We are going to the next thing, and the next thing, and the next thing. It’s like creating a wig.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Sorry if this makes me look like a self-centered prick, but:
The bright side is that we'll probably get listening session reports and some of them may include track-by-track analyses!
I KNEW IT! :biggrin: Ok, we didn't get track-by-track explanations, but these two blog posts were interesting enough! :tup

MM's comment on DT fans :heart

Online Mladen

Nice interview.  :tup

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.

Offline 425

The bright side is that we'll probably get listening session reports and some of them may include track-by-track analyses!
I KNEW IT! :biggrin: Ok, we didn't get track-by-track explanations, but these two blog posts were interesting enough! :tup

We got explanations of some of the tracks. One of the blog posts said that The Looking Glass and Surrender to Reason are Rush-esque and that Illumination Theory is "predominantly instrumental" with a JR-driven "neoclassical" section in the middle. Therefore you were closer to 100% right than you gave yourself credit for.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
We got explanations of some of the tracks. One of the blog posts said that The Looking Glass and Surrender to Reason are Rush-esque and that Illumination Theory is "predominantly instrumental" with a JR-driven "neoclassical" section in the middle. Therefore you were closer to 100% right than you gave yourself credit for.
That's true, but sometimes reports like these include descriptions of every song on the album. Anyway, I'm happy with what we got!