Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 916382 times)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Well, for all three previous albums I had a review up from 4 to 8 weeks before release...

Offline Petruccinator12

Well, for all three previous albums I had a review up from 4 to 8 weeks before release...

Well..that sucks ^^

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
but I want all of the information now! I HATE MY LIFE! GIVE IT TO ME, DTF!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
... ooooooor not so logical at all :lol it's like that for most bands I listen to, and most people who run webzines which I follow/people in my webzine generally don't have reviews ready that far ahead, my brain totally blocked out other "channels". I haven't read any of your DT reviews because they either came when I was not so interested in reading reviews or not so interested about the future of DT.

/a slightly embarrassed Milena :mora:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert

That seems so boring. Put an "!" at the end. We're DTF, dammit!

Offline Petruccinator12

Wow, already 111 pages! Still no news :/ Liars!! :P

Offline Petruccinator12

Somehow I feel like we could compare DT12 to Awake...just a feeling..

Offline dodido253

*snip*
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:21:09 AM by bosk1 »

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
I wouldn't post reviews like that here now, they're not authorized.

Offline Edergilmour

• no alarms and no surprises, please.
I'm also anxious to read some review with more detail on the album, but lets not forget this is just a matter of opinion. We can't let this affect our thoughts about it, otherwise it would ruin the album before it even came out. I'm just saying it cause there's a guy on the other forum already assuming DT have failed. I particularly learnt this lesson from the expectation on the ''waiting for Systematic Chaos period''. haha
We still have two months to get through. Can you imagine how ''damaged'' our opinion can be two months from now if we'd be willing to accept every opinion as the truth about this album?

Hey Noxon, they always send these promo copies so soon?!

They should be aware that knowing that there is a lot of people listening to it right now doesn't help us fans to keep sane haha...

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
I'm a bit curious on why alot people seems to be so eager on reading a revew 1-2 month before a release when 1 review (and 1 persons opinion for that matter) so easily can spoil someones hype on an album. I myself would rather convince myself that the person reviewing the album would take the time until the release to let the album fully sink in. He can't publish the review anyway so...
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
They always send promos this early, yes. It's part of the process, and without the promotional part of the whole cd-release aspect the release date could probably have come a lot sooner. But the record companies want to be sure that the promotion is done properly before they send it out, so I understand that completely.

The only album I have not had access  to at least a month before release date is Train of Thought (that is, after I became a fan - which was during FII).

Offline commanderbob

I'm a bit curious on why alot people seems to be so eager on reading a revew 1-2 month before a release when 1 review (and 1 persons opinion for that matter) so easily can spoil someones hype on an album. I myself would rather convince myself that the person reviewing the album would take the time until the release to let the album fully sink in. He can't publish the review anyway so...

Because even a lower-tier DT album is a wonderful album with 1-2 classic songs and 4-5 really good ones.  More that that is gravy to look forward to.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Even Systematic Chaos & Black Clouds sounded great for the first few months and stood up well to repeated listens.

They're not albums you'd replay in the long run but provide enough enjoyment in the mid term that it's ok.

And DT bring out albums so regularly that a new one is always on the way.

So even if it's an SC or BC&SL tier album - at least it will be enjoyable DT music for a decent length of time anyway..

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
I wasn't as skeptical about the legitimacy of the Spanish mini-review as most of us were, but I wouldn't give too much attention to what some random guy said at 5/8, and even if that person HAS heard the album, you need to listen to it yourself and judge then.
This goes against what we've heard from two other confirmed sources that the album will not disappoint and is nothing like ADTOE.
Whether it ends up being a disappointment or not is very subjective. Also, I can't remember anyone saying the new album is "nothing like ADTOE" and as I said earlier in this thread, the amount of differences you can see between two albums depends on your point of view. I bet most of us will be able to see some differences, because DT have never really repeated themselves despite maintaining their core sound, but the comment about the album not disappointing the fans but not turning the haters' heads around either makes me think it won't be drastically different.
And a couple of songs different to anything DT have done before.
:caffeine:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
Or, since the dude wrote that on one forum (and asked not to be quoted on it), don't quote him everywhere else? He's a member here, if he wanted the post to be here, he'd post it himself.

People :mehlin

We're not members of the press, under obligation to hold information "on background," especially public information  :lol.  If he didn't want it quoted, don't put it out on a public forum.  It's as silly as tweeting something, and saying don't tell anyone on facebook :lol
Moor's already said it was an honest mistake, but I don't like your "public forum" justification, just because a person's put something in one corner of the internet, doesn't mean they want it in all other corners of the internet, especially since he's on here and he could just put it here himself.

I've made a bigger fuss over this than noxon, and I'm aware I'm extremely annoying by pushing this further one more time, it's just that, "person a: please don't do the thing - person b: *does the thing*" is my biggest pet peeve ever, and it's not less serious for me just because we're on the internet. /mouth shut about this issue

Issue #2: I am also really really anxious to hear this album, as I love DT with all my heart but I'm worried they're on a path where I won't enjoy future albums by them while simultaneously feeling uberconfident in my dear lads and also very very curious to hear the (possible) backbone of the live show I'm seeing next year, for the first time that this album represents. That's a whole load of conflicting strong feelings. But things that take time, take timeeeeee.

Advance copies of the album to the journalists and other people are being sent for the exact reason that they satisfy our impatience before we can hear the actual music, by having us hear what some (in most cases) competent people have to say about how's the album like. And how they liked it. They're sent well in advance so those competent people have time to form their thoughts and not give you a rushed review. If your only response to that is more annoyance that you can't hear it two months in advance as well or "well I won't let that sway my opinion", good for you, it shouldn't sway it, but they're there for us all to have some rudimental notions of how the album sounds like, IF WE WANT TO HAVE THOSE NOTIONS, and if we don't, we don't read 'em.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
My mate Phil's initial thoughts are very different to that review so I'm not worried. And the drums "absolutley ridiculous" apparently. Hopefully in a good way. And Phil said no real ballads so hmm. And a couple of songs different to anything DT have done before.

Not worried by that review at all.

This is in line with Rich Wilson's claim that DT12 is not ADTOE part 2.

I like the fact that the songs are shorter (except the 20 min epic) on DT12. It can mean more concise songwriting and experimentation. Then again, I think Octavarium is a fantastic record from start to end (and beginning again ;)) and as an album has incredible stayingpower with me...I still think it is getting better with time.

Plus, I remembered norwegian newspapers giving ADTOE bad reviews to mediocre reviews and I ended up loving that album. One mans thrash is another mans treasure I guess!

Offline commanderbob

Moor's already said it was an honest mistake, but I don't like your "public forum" justification, just because a person's put something in one corner of the internet, doesn't mean they want it in all other corners of the internet, especially since he's on here and he could just put it here himself.

I've made a bigger fuss over this than noxon, and I'm aware I'm extremely annoying by pushing this further one more time, it's just that, "person a: please don't do the thing - person b: *does the thing*" is my biggest pet peeve ever, and it's not less serious for me just because we're on the internet. /mouth shut about this issue

While I like the idea of honoring someone's request and I like the idea of you sticking up for that idea, it is without question a public forum, and is therefore an unreasonable (and silly IMO) request to make. We just disagree. It's OK, it's all love here.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni

While I like the idea of honoring someone's request and I like the idea of you sticking up for that idea, it is without question a public forum, and is therefore an unreasonable (and silly IMO) request to make. We just disagree. It's OK, it's all love here.
Yeah we could argue about that until our noses bleed and not reach a point where we don't disagree, so, you know :lol "all love" is generally how I roll when I'm not being a (bosk prep yourself) grumpy bastard. :tup

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
So has anything happened yet? No? OK.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Sycsa

Yeah we could argue about that until our noses bleed and not reach a point where we don't disagree, so, you know :lol "all love" is generally how I roll when I'm not being a (bosk prep yourself) grumpy bastard. :tup
Given the nature of public forums in general and the enthusiasm on DTF, it was a silly and delusional request on Noxon's part not to be quoted elsewhere. Almost sounds like a joke. It was a pointless little tease anyway which didn't even reveal any new information (we already knew he had mixed feelings about the album) and fussing about it is even more pointless. But I guess it keeps the action going. :P

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
You don't know anything. You're speculating, and creating meaning and sense into words that aren't even there. I'm having fun fueling the freaks over there, and when you bring it here without even considering the context and the place you're taking it from, you're basically taking the trash over here. The two places are very different in nature, and what is said there doesn't necessarily fit in the context of what's being said here. Also, there's the simple fact that anything I say at this moment of time about the album is unofficial, and even considered unauthorized, so you posting that information here is breaching the rules for this forum. Pretty simple.

It's quite funny when all you say is "hmm" and people go "oh, i guess he didn't like the album". Who cares whether i like the album or not.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 08:39:22 AM by noxon »

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space

Offline dparrott

I'm usually the opposite in what most DT bands like...I like SC over Awake and ADTOE...so the things that noxon doesn't like I might love.  Could be a great thing.

"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Thematt202

Same.  Awake is my least favourite DT album along with aCOS.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Lowdz

My mate Phil's
Dem credentials = shut up and take all of my money!

That's very kind. Have you got any?  ;D

His credentials are fine by me. Not expecting anyone else to hold any store by it. Mentioned his credentials a few pages back. A good guy. And one of the luckiest atm as he has this album and I don't.
hahaha sorry didn't mean to sound like a dick, I hadn't noticed that you pointed out who he was. Just extra skeptical of some sources of information, which people are likely to capitalize on in terms of getting internet traffic, trolling for attention etc.

May I ask: To what extent is he a prog, metal and/or Dream Theater fan?

Hey i understand. When he got back to me the other day I wrote out a post about what hhe'd said, deleted it, wrote it out again.

As to the last bit, he' is a DT fan, huge Rush fan, prog, AOR- and he interviewed JLB a few weeks ago too about his "solo" (ahem ) album.

Offline Dillster22

Quote from: Roadrunner Records
Good morning everyone! I have a feeling many of you are going to be pleased by what's coming up in a few hours.

Posted about half an hour ago on their Facebook page, possibly DT related?

Offline emtee

Traceability for leaks. Have past promo copies been tagged like that? It seems like a really good way to shut the leak door.

The best possible comments on that link were about the production and sound. YES!!! That's all I really ask for. Good clear
sound and seperation for the instruments.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit

Offline JohnnyLayne

• His Dudeness
Did anybody else noticed the planet cut-off in the photo of the speakers???

:huh:

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
https://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2013/07/dream_theater_listening_party.php?page=2

From The Village Voice today.

I can't open blogs here at work. Can anyone bring the information of that link to this thread please?

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
It seems odd to me that the very aspects some reviewers seem to be praising (the sound mixing/quality, the originality and distinction from other DT works) is exactly what the more negative reviews point out as their negative points.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
@Voices: apart from personal impressions, that were pretty interesting, the things that stood out for me the most about the two blogs are that the album is apparently hour-long and that it does not succumb to the loudness war.

Also teeny!Mangini: