Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 916350 times)

Offline Meatrose

• Built for heavy lifting
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Let me show you my new means of transportation...
Isn't this "elsewhere"?

Edit: Myunged by Mora. :)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Posted by "noxon" on the 5/8 forum:

"I thought i would be able to post the review earlier than what I have now been told, so don't expect to see the review just yet. It's mostly written though, so as soon as I get the go ahead it will go up.

(but i'm going to say this, and please don't quote me on this elsewhere; it's not a very high ranking album for me right now)"

Uhm what was unclear about this that you had to quote him on DTF? :lol
Yeah :lol

Anyway, looks like RR has set a certain date after which reviews can be posted.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Which confirms my post-single theory  :lol

But in all fairness, noxon had it coming. He knows us people, that bit was completely going to be quoted here within half a minute  :rollin
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Labrie1984

Advice: Man, don't write something if you don't want it to be posted somewhere!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Or, since the dude wrote that on one forum (and asked not to be quoted on it), don't quote him everywhere else? He's a member here, if he wanted the post to be here, he'd post it himself.

People :mehlin

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
Well, that doesn't bug me that much. I'm eager for reviews but just to understand the style/mood of the album, I know that nobody can judge for me in my place. Actually, I'm quite used to like things that many people dislike, so for me this is rather encouraging =D

Anyway, I absolutely agree that someone's requests must be respected.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
Believe it or not ! I did not notice Noxon's request  :facepalm:
My apologies ... I know it is too late, but come on...

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
People just don't read it all anymore, fact =)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Moor, you didn't read the whole text before copying and pasting it?
Which confirms my post-single theory  :lol
However, listening session reports =/= reviews. Besides, I used Opeth as an example in my previous post and they're on RR too. Anyway, DT may have a stricter policy and it seems likely that we'll get the single before any reports/reviews/etc.

Offline erciccio

Noxon comes here often, and many of us are on the 5/8 forum so...he knew he would have been quoted!  ::)

I already had the impression that he didn't like the album, hence he didn't want to be the first one to write a "negative" review...

Combining this with the supposedly-fake-but-indeed-true review that circulated, I think we can expect something like a flat/ heavy album..

But de gustibus non est disputandum, so some of us might love it anyway!  :metal
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di pił

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
I went through it quickly and thought it was something like "save your critics or don't start bashing ...."
My bad... I already PMd noxon my apologies... 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
Actually, I'm quite used to like things that many people dislike, so for me this is rather encouraging =D
Yeah, me too :biggrin:

Well, to be honest, there isn't many albums being reviewed a full two months in advance. The "restriction" likely hasn't got anything with being surprised nor the single, but more with just publishing advance reviews closer to the release date, when "normal" people are actually expecting to hear more about the album.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Petruccinator12

Where or was is the 5/8 forum? Where can I find it? :/

Offline Meatrose

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, at least I'm not as hyped anymore.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni

Don't let your excitement be deflated by the opinion of one individual. It's just his personal feeling about the album.
- Marco

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Why not? Noxon is known for being quite critical of the band in recent years, so it doesn't surprise me at all if he doesn't rank it that highly.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, what he said. But if your excitement has been diminished by reading that impression, go read Mr. Wilson's in one of his latest posts here to restore it to its original levels :D
- Marco

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Don't let your excitement be deflated by the opinion of one individual. It's just his personal feeling about the album.
This. While you shouldn't let the band's comments about it being their best album ever build your expectations up too much, it also isn't wise to let negative reviews break them down.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't know; I like it that there are both positive and negative statements already, because it could mean the album goes in a couple of bolder directions which could both sway and alienate. But no statement means anything to me before I read WHY someone liked/disliked it.

What I'm most afraid of are reviews stating "if you're a DT fan, you'll like this", because for me, being a DT fan does not exclude disliking some elements of the band, even identifying elements. The fact is that DT COULD afford themselves a lot of experimenting at this stage of their career, since fans will literally buy anything they do, they are secure for life, and they won't gain any new fans with other preferences in prog/metal by sticking to what they know best, or to what they've been doing for the past 10+ years.

Offline Meatrose

• DTF.org Alumni
While I certainly did miss Wilson's post I feel I should say that part of me has actually been looking forward to reading something that takes the edge off my hype. When my excitement reaches these levels I usually end up being at least slightly disappointed when whatever it is I'm looking forward to is finally released.  ;)

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
who is wilson? also inb4....

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
Rich Wilson, DT's biographer and writer for Classic Rock magazine (and a member on this forum).

Offline Petruccinator12

Did you ever consider that DT might be "afraid" to release new material? Because, for themselves, they know that their new album won't a have a very good response..?! Just thinkin'

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Did you ever consider that DT might be "afraid" to release new material? Because, for themselves, they know that their new album won't a have a very good response..?! Just thinkin'

If DT weren't happy with it, they wouldn't have recorded it and released it. They have the creative freedom for this not to be a concern to me.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Petruccinator12

Well...you are probably right...I am just wondering..the weirdest ideas occur to me :P

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Hehe, well this is DTF, so it's expected! But I think you're overthinking it. We're still almost two months out, so it's not unusual to have not heard anything yet, and I'm sure we'll have a single sometime soon.

Soon.............
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Petruccinator12

Yaah, hopefully :D

As I've already mentioned earlier....the first of August seems to be a nice date for a single if you ask me ;) :D

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
The reason why I didn't want it on here is because I'd rather not have the speculation as to why I said what I said on this forum. I don't mind people knowing my feelings, and i'm not afraid to criticize when I feel it's necessary (read my SC and BCSL review, and see that I spend time dissecting the album, telling the reader positive and negative factors to the albums, while still ending up with a conclusion that says that even with the flaws there are many things to be enjoyed on the albums. ADTOE review was very positive. So I don't really get the "i'm too critical of DT's work in the later years" - I try to write a review for a DT fan, of which I think the average interest in music and the building blocks is much higher than many other fangroups.

As for the review of this album; it's got nothing to do with whether I like it or not. I've already written 2500 words about it! Some of it is positive, some of it is negative. And while my ranking of the album may tell you that I don't put in the top - come on, you're comparing it to albums like I&W, Awake, SFAM, etc etc. When you've got 12 albums, all of which are (for me anyway) above average, it takes quite a lot to reach to the top.

I've been told to put a hold on the review for the time being, so it's out of my hands. I -wish- I could give it to you guys now, as it would answer so many of the questions you've been asking (and man, think about the itch i'm feeling every day when I see someone state something, and I know the accurate answer to that statement... ;)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, thanks for posting that  :tup

Don't worry about the inability to post your review. We understand that you have to abide to the regulations coming from high above, and that's cool. When the time comes we will read and know.  :tup

In the meanwhile we will the specustorm will keep raging, I think  :D
- Marco

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member

If DT weren't happy with it, they wouldn't have recorded it and released it. They have the creative freedom for this not to be a concern to me.
I read Petruccinator12s comment as they're not unhappy with the album but rather concerned if fans would appriciate them streching out the "DT sound" then before. I have a big hunch that you have to spend some time with this album in order to fully appriciate it. I'm all up for that though.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Petruccinator12

The reason why I didn't want it on here is because I'd rather not have the speculation as to why I said what I said on this forum. I don't mind people knowing my feelings, and i'm not afraid to criticize when I feel it's necessary (read my SC and BCSL review, and see that I spend time dissecting the album, telling the reader positive and negative factors to the albums, while still ending up with a conclusion that says that even with the flaws there are many things to be enjoyed on the albums. ADTOE review was very positive. So I don't really get the "i'm too critical of DT's work in the later years" - I try to write a review for a DT fan, of which I think the average interest in music and the building blocks is much higher than many other fangroups.

As for the review of this album; it's got nothing to do with whether I like it or not. I've already written 2500 words about it! Some of it is positive, some of it is negative. And while my ranking of the album may tell you that I don't put in the top - come on, you're comparing it to albums like I&W, Awake, SFAM, etc etc. When you've got 12 albums, all of which are (for me anyway) above average, it takes quite a lot to reach to the top.

I've been told to put a hold on the review for the time being, so it's out of my hands. I -wish- I could give it to you guys now, as it would answer so many of the questions you've been asking (and man, think about the itch i'm feeling every day when I see someone state something, and I know the accurate answer to that statement... ;)

Could you probably give an estimation when you are probably going to be allowed to post it? :/ Or is it impossible to foresee? Soon? Very soon? Not soon?

Offline Petruccinator12

I read Petruccinator12s comment as they're not unhappy with the album but rather concerned if fans would appriciate them streching out the "DT sound" then before. I have a big hunch that you have to spend some time with this album in order to fully appriciate it. I'm all up for that though.

I don't mind listening to it often before fully appreciating it either

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
Thanks for posting Noxon, we'll see, a review's just a review after all, isn't it?
Although I must say I'd be reading every review I can find when 'they' give green light to post them.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
we're talking several weeks here.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
^ pretty logical. I wasn't expecting any reviews before September tbh.