Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 916396 times)

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
METROPOLIS PT.3: DREAM THEATER

That would actually sound pretty cool!

You know, man, I see all too mixed:

a) METROPOLIS PT.1: THE MIRACLE AND THE SLEEPER.

b) METROPOLIS PT.2: SCENES FROM A MEMORY.

c) DT12: All kind of things about sleep, awakening, enigma, circle, reason, illumination...

It can be very possible.

Absolutely! It should actually/even include/write this on the cover!

What if all 2 previous Metropolis stories were only a dream in Nicholas head, and the band decided to tell us the end of his dream in DT12?

What if all this is a big dream theater?
There's only 12 notes, do what you want with them.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Petruccinator12

c) DT12: All kind of things about sleep, awakening, enigma, circle, reason, illumination...

It can be very possible.

What if all 2 previous Metropolis stories were only a dream in Nicholas head, and the band decided to tell us the end of his dream in DT12?

What if WE are all actually Nicolas? and we never woke up?!  :eek

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
I`m just talking about albums.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni

It can be very possible.

In cases like this one, in my country we use to say

if my grandmother had wheels would be a wheelbarrow

Just sayin'

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.

Just sayin'

Ya sé ("Si mi abuela tuviese ruedas, sería bicicleta", dicen en el mío).

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Petruccinator12: "Surprise"? What do you mean?

Offline erciccio

It can be very possible.

Just sayin'

Or "if my grandfa had three balls he would be a pinball...!"

Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline Petruccinator12

I'm sorry...I was pretty sure someone said you'd post a review..which did not happen as it seems...which did not surprise me to be honest..

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni

Just sayin'

Ya sé ("Si mi abuela tuviese ruedas, sería bicicleta", dicen en el mío).

By which i didn't want to be mean, it's just that if you really want to see something you'll find some reason to see it, but this does not mean that what you would like to see is going to be the truth. And i can pretty confidently say that DT12 has nothing to do with Scenes concept.

Offline Petruccinator12

I'm sorry...I was pretty sure someone said you'd post a review..which did not happen as it seems...which did not surprise me to be honest..

Or did you actually??

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson

Just sayin'
Or "if my grandfa had three balls he would be a pinball...!"
"If a cow had wheels it would be a milk truck."

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Oh god, not this again.

And to think I started that stuff as a joke :lol
I'll laugh my ass off if it actually turns out to be Metropolis Pt. 3, but I don't think that will happen at all.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Oh god, not this again.

BAN THEM! BAN THEM ALL! YOU HAVE THE POWER!

Any references to sleep or dreams or more likely to be references to DREAM THEATER than to SFAM.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
We kind of reached a consensus that ALONG FOR THE RIDE is TCOT Part 2, right?  :tup
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 02:27:51 AM by wasteland »
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
I have said that I will publish a review, but I have not said when. I don't understand the surprise though, given my track record of publishing reviews (as I'm sure some of the more senior members will attest to).

I need to take my time with the album (which isn't anything special - whenever I've reviewed an album before I've always listened to the album at LEAST 10 times), and to be honest I wouldn't have said anything _here_ if it wasn't for the fact that people started reporting my jokes elsewhere as facts, and I wanted to clarify. It was not my intention to tease people with the album.

Whenever I get a new Dream Theater album, I need to absorb it and take it under my skin. The initial impression can be good or bad, but initial impressions rarely last for me. That's not to say a good first impression will turn into me not liking it, but what first caught my attention with a track may not be what sticks with me after a few times listening to it. I also want to be able to listen to the albums as wholes, to see what that feels like, as well as listening to singular tracks seperately, because the feel of it may change depending on the context. I mean, I can still discover layers in stuff from the 20 year old albums that I just hadn't paid attention to before, maybe a small embellishment that never really caught my attention before... It's amazing that music can survive even thousands of plays like that, and even then still be able to provide something new for me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
We kind of reached a consensus that ALONG FOR THE RIGHT is TCOT Part 2, right?  :tup

Actually, it's TCOT parts 2 and 3, as part of the Fine Wines Suite.

Offline Petruccinator12

I have said that I will publish a review, but I have not said when. I don't understand the surprise though, given my track record of publishing reviews (as I'm sure some of the more senior members will attest to).

I need to take my time with the album (which isn't anything special - whenever I've reviewed an album before I've always listened to the album at LEAST 10 times), and to be honest I wouldn't have said anything _here_ if it wasn't for the fact that people started reporting my jokes elsewhere as facts, and I wanted to clarify. It was not my intention to tease people with the album.

Whenever I get a new Dream Theater album, I need to absorb it and take it under my skin. The initial impression can be good or bad, but initial impressions rarely last for me. That's not to say a good first impression will turn into me not liking it, but what first caught my attention with a track may not be what sticks with me after a few times listening to it. I also want to be able to listen to the albums as wholes, to see what that feels like, as well as listening to singular tracks seperately, because the feel of it may change depending on the context. I mean, I can still discover layers in stuff from the 20 year old albums that I just hadn't paid attention to before, maybe a small embellishment that never really caught my attention before... It's amazing that music can survive even thousands of plays like that, and even then still be able to provide something new for me.

Alright, I got it now! Sorry for that...

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
We kind of reached a consensus that ALONG FOR THE RIGHT is TCOT Part 2, right?  :tup

Actually, it's TCOT parts 2 and 3, as part of the Fine Wines Suite.

Great, then along for the ride will improve with age.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Oh god, not this again.

BAN THEM! BAN THEM ALL! YOU HAVE THE POWER!

Any references to sleep or dreams or more likely to be references to DREAM THEATER than to SFAM.

Who needs sleep, when you can stay Awake.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
Oh god, not this again.

I'll laugh my ass off if it actually turns out to be Metropolis Pt. 3, but I don't think that will happen at all.

This.

We aren`t expecting another Metropolis, but you simply can`t deny the possibility, and it would be the freaking coolest thing among the f...ing coolest things.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
This.

We aren`t expecting another Metropolis, but you simply can`t deny the possibility, and it would be the freaking coolest thing among the f...ing coolest things.

Except... We already know it's not. We already know it's self-titled... =/
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh god, not this again.

This.

If they ever make a concept album again, then i would prefer it not to be Metropolis part 3. A fresh concept would be better.

And the only thing you can't deny are the lines that trace your skin...

Offline Petruccinator12

This.

Except... We already know it's not. We already know it's self-titled... =/

The last word has not yet been spoken! :D

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
Oh god, not this again.

This.

I can: it's not Metropolis, Pt. 3.

I love Scenes as much as the next man, but it would not be cool to do a sequel.

And regarding noxon's review, just be patient. He always delivers, and it's always an interesting read.

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
it's not Metropolis, Pt. 3.

If you have official info, please share.

And I`m really worried about the spanish guy who said that DT12 drums sounds really bad.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

And I`m really worried about the spanish guy who said that DT12 drums sounds really bad.

I'd ignore it. I wouldn't put much faith in that review for so many reasons.

Hopefully it won't be too long before we have a single, and then we can judge it for ourselves.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
I'd ignore it. I wouldn't put much faith in that review for so many reasons.

Hopefully it won't be too long before we have a single, and then we can judge it for ourselves.
Absolutely this.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Most of the people who were making commotion are REALLY new members. I'm relatively new as well but wasn't surprised you had it, since I ran into your posts before and just sort of figured who you were.

And I think everyone who ever reviewed an album or thought about what that entails knows albums sometimes take time. No biggie.

I wouldn't put much faith in that review for so many reasons.
Absolutely, if that "review" is the real deal I will eat my computer monitor.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
The spanish guy said that DT12 isn`t different from ADTOE, and other (and to me, much more serious) sources said that is different.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
I wouldn't put much faith in that review for so many reasons.
Absolutely, if that "review" is the real deal I will eat my computer monitor.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
Even if this spanish review is the real deal (and i doubt it), what does it mean for you? He says that the drums sound like midi, but do we know what his background is? is he a drummer? So he doesn't like the drum sound, so what?

Edit: That monitor needs a chocolate layer...

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member

You shouldn't care so much what someone else say! DT12 won't fall into everyones taste no matter how good you think it is, that's just the way it is and has always been. Let yourself be the judge over that and don't worry what anyone else feel especially not before you heard it yourself.  :)
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline aprilethereal

The album is called "Dream Theater", not "Metropolis Pt. 3: Dream Theater". Dude.

Oh god, not this again.

This. IT'S NOT METROPOLIS 3 AND IT'S NOT A CONCEPT ALBUM! Will you finally accept it?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Let no review get to you. The new music will be fresh and will surprise our crew.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD