Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 916464 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Well, there you have your 'point'. I wouldn't be surprised if it came with a video this time, too.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
I don`t want any single or snippet.
There's only 12 notes, do what you want with them.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Well, you don't have to listen to them.

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.

I`m not so strong.

If they release something, I`m gonna hear it. That`s the fact.

Offline Benedettosoxfan

I`m not so strong.

If they release something, I`m gonna hear it. That`s the fact.

I'm the same way. I swore to myself that I would abstain from listening to OTBOA when it came out at (I think) 11AM. By 2PM I had listened to it about 20 times. This time I'm gonna need to hibernate if I want to wait.

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
Well, OTBOA was nominated to a grammy award. So there's a point in releasing a single. And I got to say that I really want one...I want reviews, snippets...just can't contain my anxiety to this new album.

Offline PetFish

I have to ask what is the point of DT releasing a single.  The single will probably not be played much on the radio.  I do see new fans possibly discovering DT with the release of a video like they did with On the Backs of Angels.  If I had not accidently view the video on a cable music channel I would not have found out about DT.

Have you not heard of the Internet, specifically, Youtube?

Kidding aside, while there was a long time period (1994-2006-ish) of "why even bother wasting money on videos", that is now over, and the impact of even something as simple as a lyric video (ie. James LaBrie's "Back on the Ground") being passed around on Youtube is absolutely tangible and definitely worth spending a little dough on.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Have you not heard of the Internet, specifically, Youtube?

Kidding aside, while there was a long time period (1994-2006-ish) of "why even bother wasting money on videos", that is now over, and the impact of even something as simple as a lyric video (ie. James LaBrie's "Back on the Ground") being passed around on Youtube is absolutely tangible and definitely worth spending a little dough on.

Yeah, once people figured out HOW to get money from Youtube videos, it's become a new medium for music distribution. Especially things like Vevo. And honestly, there have been a number of bands and albums that I became interested in because, say, RoadRunner recommended I check them out, since I watched something by DT. So it's becoming a very useful tool for spreading music awareness.

It's crazy how different the music industry has become in just a few years. I remember artists complaining about how they couldn't get a record deal, just a few months ago. Now, artists are refusing record deals, because they know they'll actually make more money if they promote themselves. It's an interesting time to be a musician.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I have to ask what is the point of DT releasing a single.  The single will probably not be played much on the radio.  I do see new fans possibly discovering DT with the release of a video like they did with On the Backs of Angels.  If I had not accidently view the video on a cable music channel I would not have found out about DT.

OTBOA has over 4 million views on Youtube, and that's the one that isn't even a music video! Just having a legal sample of an album/band up on Youtube is great for people discovering new bands, or for people who already listen to the band to share the link for others to discover.
It's 2013. Who even listens to radio anyway?

The tracklist sure looks like some kind of concept to me. Anyone else?

To me, is a concept album, very similar to Disc 2 of SDOIT.

:facepalm:

1. Disc 2 of SDOIT is not an album. It is one disc of a two disc album. Half an album.
2. It would still not be a concept album, because it is one song.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
The cutoff in the album art here is so obvious it's crazy.

https://www.large.nl/search/dream%20theater/

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't see the cutoff there any more noticeably than I did before (actually, ie. I can't see it at all there without brightening the image). It's still the same original image.

And let's remember that the line has been officially removed, so this is now a complete non issue. No line will be visible on the final album.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Some of the covers on that page look lightened up. ACOS, 8VM and ToT in particular. Could be the reason the cutoff is more visible there.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
The cutoff in the album art here is so obvious it's crazy.

https://www.large.nl/search/dream%20theater/

Actually, the album order page proper ( https://www.large.nl/dream-theater-dream-theater-cd/art_263302/ ) is the first place I've been able to see the cutoff in the image without modifying the colors. 

No line will be visible on the final album.

Yeah.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Some of the covers definitely appear lightened up. Octavarium is completely washed out. I don't notice a difference on the DT12 cover, although as I've said before, my monitor is adjusted darker than most people's, so I never saw the line without adjusting the image in Photoshop anyway.

Offline OsMosis2259

And let's remember that the line has been officially removed, so this is now a complete non issue. No line will be visible on the final album.

Oh really? When was this announced?

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
it's in the thread that's titled something on the lines of "Do you think DT noticed the line on the cover". Check it out!
edit: you can't miss it: it's the one that's locked

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Check out the version now on the official site-
https://www.dreamtheater.net/board_posts/dream-theater-cover-and-track-listing-revealed

Offline dongringo

Man I love that cover!
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline OsMosis2259

https://www.dreamtheater.net/board_posts/dream-theater-cover-and-track-listing-revealed

Awesome. I just saw it in the locked thread "do you think the band is aware of the planet cut..." as well.

man... I'm so happy Hugh Syme fixed it! Now I think this is my favorite album cover since Six Degrees.  :tup

Offline mocool13

Didn't realize it was "fixed" until you just mentioned that.

I guess DT must've noticed how much the line bothered posters from this forum

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.

OTBOA has over 4 million views on Youtube, and that's the one that isn't even a music video! Just having a legal sample of an album/band up on Youtube is great for people discovering new bands, or for people who already listen to the band to share the link for others to discover.
It's 2013. Who even listens to radio anyway?

The tracklist sure looks like some kind of concept to me. Anyone else?

To me, is a concept album, very similar to Disc 2 of SDOIT.

:facepalm:

1. Disc 2 of SDOIT is not an album. It is one disc of a two disc album. Half an album.
2. It would still not be a concept album, because it is one song.

I said VERY SIMILAR TO, not EQUAL TO, "master".

Try to read well.

'Scene Ten: False Awakening Suite' is going to be awesome!

¿Nicholas didn`t open his eyes?

Exactly! See, my theory is holding ground already! Buhahaha.

Is a very legitimate theory (an illumination theory -the illumination of Nicholas-).

Don`t forget this.

Offline johncal

So the cover arts been dragged up again.................................

I can't wait till the new albums out so at least there will be some NEW topics to bitch about.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Yea, like blemishes in the booklet.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Man I love that cover!

It's better than the last one but I think it's really boring myself.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
TBH all I really want is the music. If there are special editions offering extra songs I'll go for that. My past history tells me I will
watch a making-of 1 time and never again.

I always go for special editions when buying CDs . You get a little extra for your £££ and it saves you having to buy the same thing again if they release a special edition down the road. [ Which RR used to be notorious for doing - now the special editions are usually released alongside the standard edition ]

It used to be a running joke in my house that if a band were signed to 5 albums on RoadRunner - that would just cover all the editions of the debut that would get released.

I don't know how many editions of the Soulfly debut there were but it was a few.

Offline dparrott

I can't wait until that giant clown is removed from the DT official page.  MAN that's obnoxious!  It takes up half my monitor!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline dparrott

A video and a single usually coincide with each other.  The video you watch, the single you buy.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Petruccinator12

Has Noxon already published a "review" ..?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Published a "review"? As opposed to publishing a review? Noxon has posted neither in any case.

Offline Petruccinator12

Published a "review"? As opposed to publishing a review? Noxon has posted neither in any case.

I dunno..I thought someone said he'd write a review... :/ What a "surprise" ........

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
METROPOLIS PT.3: DREAM THEATER

Offline Petruccinator12

That would actually sound pretty cool!

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.

You know, man, I see all too mixed:

a) METROPOLIS PT.1: THE MIRACLE AND THE SLEEPER.

b) METROPOLIS PT.2: SCENES FROM A MEMORY.

c) DT12: All kind of things about sleep, awakening, enigma, circle, reason, illumination...

It can be very possible.

Offline Petruccinator12

You know, man, I see all too mixed:

a) METROPOLIS PT.1: THE MIRACLE AND THE SLEEPER.

b) METROPOLIS PT.2: SCENES FROM A MEMORY.

c) DT12: All kind of things about sleep, awakening, enigma, circle, reason, illumination...

It can be very possible.

Absolutely! It should actually/even include/write this on the cover!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Oh god, not this again.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.