Poll

Pick your favorite game. (Original Series only)

Final Fantasy
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy II
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy III
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy IV (II)
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy V
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy VI (III)
29 (22.1%)
Final Fantasy VII
37 (28.2%)
Final Fantasy VIII
10 (7.6%)
Final Fantasy IX
17 (13%)
Final Fantasy X
13 (9.9%)
Final Fantasy XI
0 (0%)
Final Fantasy XII
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy XIII
3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Author Topic: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread  (Read 177275 times)

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread
« Reply #1295 on: December 12, 2010, 01:39:36 AM »

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1296 on: December 12, 2010, 02:05:22 AM »
He did Chrono Trigger too. This image here emphasizes why his translations added to the games, even if they changed the meaning sometimes:

On a similar note, have any of you guys played FFT for PSP? I love the new translation. It's the translation that game always deserved I think.

Offline j

« Reply #1297 on: December 12, 2010, 07:40:42 AM »
My overall point is just that while FF7 is far from perfect, it was still the first time Square really went out of their way to at least try to translate the game accurately, without any censorship or numbing down of the plot.

Yeah I agree, probably the first time they dedicated a whole team of translators to a game.  And Sony didn't have the over-the-top censorship policies Nintendo had encumbered them with.  Unfortunately, they didn't have the quality control either. :lol  It blows my mind that a script so full of errors could make it to a final product.

I didn't ever own a Playstation until I got a Playstation 2, and it was several years after FF7 came out that I actually played it.  I know its mainstream crossover wasn't really expected, but was it projected to be a hit even a fraction of the size of the one it became?  If so, maybe that has something to do with why Square put a little more into it, at least from a manpower perspective.

-J

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1298 on: December 12, 2010, 08:04:25 AM »
I think that it was expected to be a big game. There were commercials for it, and even some kind of marketing in conjunction with Pepsi.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1299 on: December 12, 2010, 09:35:31 AM »
I think that it was expected to be a big game. There were commercials for it, and even some kind of marketing in conjunction with Pepsi.
Yes, it was expected. I think the projections were much smaller than what actually happened though.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline ehra

« Reply #1300 on: December 12, 2010, 10:14:56 AM »
Yeah, I remember seeing a commercial for it. Didn't they spoil Aeris' death during one? I remember seeing the scene in the game and being all "hey, I saw that on TV."

My dad's also still got the shirt that came with pre ordering the game.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1301 on: December 13, 2010, 08:15:30 AM »
Yeah, I remember seeing a commercial for it. Didn't they spoil Aeris' death during one?

Yeah, I totally remember that. When I first starting playing the game, I asked me friend "wait, is this that game with the commercial with the dead girl in it?"

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1302 on: December 13, 2010, 06:25:29 PM »
I'm having such a good time replaying FF7 on my PSP. I only play for about 40 minutes a night and started sometime last week, so I'm just one-third through the Shinra building. But like I said, it's been lots of fun.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #1303 on: December 13, 2010, 06:37:39 PM »
I'm having such a good time replaying FF7 on my PSP. I only play for about 40 minutes a night and started sometime last week, so I'm just one-third through the Shinra building. But like I said, it's been lots of fun.
I hope you used the stairs to get to the top  :D

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1304 on: December 13, 2010, 06:40:19 PM »
Of course  :P On my last two playthroughs (playthrough meaning: getting somewhere on disc one and stopping) I took the elevator 'cause I wanted to level. This was the first time I took the stairs since my first ever playthrough. I forgot how hilarious that part is.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1305 on: December 17, 2010, 07:27:34 PM »
Bumping to say I just caught the Chocobo and ran past the Zolom. The flashback scene used to be one of my favorite, but I like it a lot less recently. Probably because I've done it so many times. Whereas everything after, say, Cosmo Canyon is still really fresh for me, and has been played at max one or two times.

I've been using Aeris this play through for the first time ever. Damn I didn't realize how good she is with magic. Anyone ever attempt to get her final limit? Is it a tough thing to do?

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #1306 on: December 18, 2010, 11:39:35 AM »
Bumping to say I just caught the Chocobo and ran past the Zolom. The flashback scene used to be one of my favorite, but I like it a lot less recently. Probably because I've done it so many times. Whereas everything after, say, Cosmo Canyon is still really fresh for me, and has been played at max one or two times.

I've been using Aeris this play through for the first time ever. Damn I didn't realize how good she is with magic. Anyone ever attempt to get her final limit? Is it a tough thing to do?

I never bothered because I never liked using her. It won't be tough, it will just be a matter of time. It's really not worth it considering her fate.

It was a pain in the ass bringing her along to the Temple of the Ancients because she was so far behind the other characters in terms of stats, that it makes it much harder to beat the Demon Wall boss (a true pain in the ass for people who don't spend time levelling up)

I love the Kalm flashback and the events up until after Junon.

I never actually bother getting a chocobo anymore as the Zolom can be out-run through the marsches on foot. Just wait until it hits the far corner and make a run for it.

Which raises an interesting point - what do the Turks say when you bring Aeris along in the Mythril Cave? As I recall, they specifically ask Cloud where she is.

I've beaten FFVII about 8 times but never bothered to include her in my game. I might give it a try on next playthrough.

I almost always end up with Cloud/Barret/Cid.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #1307 on: December 18, 2010, 12:34:20 PM »
I've had a really strong urge lately to play some of the older Final Fantasies (vi and earlier). Looks like it's rom time (???)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1308 on: December 18, 2010, 08:12:23 PM »
I need to get a little bit further in IX. I'm starting to fall in love with the characters, so I need to play it a bit more before I really start to care about finishing it, I think.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1309 on: December 18, 2010, 08:15:38 PM »
Is this your first play? If so, you're in for the treat. It's the best game of all time.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1310 on: December 18, 2010, 09:43:34 PM »
Yeah, every monster is kicking my ass on the way to Burmecia. It's impossible to even level because only one fucking character survives.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1311 on: December 18, 2010, 10:10:54 PM »
ohhhh man Burmecia is a fucking beautiful level. I love the the way that whole place looks with the rain and everything. But yeah, maybe you should LEVEL UP, PUSSY

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: December 19, 2010, 12:50:25 AM »
What, the monster's between Gizmaluke's Grotto and Burmecia are giving you trouble? How the fuck did you manage to beat Gizmaluke, who wins the award for most disproportionately difficult boss ever, if you can't beat the monsters after him, which are weaksauce compared to the monsters in the grotto?

What is the matter with you?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1313 on: December 19, 2010, 12:56:51 AM »
Beatrix: hot or hot?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1314 on: December 19, 2010, 01:25:06 AM »
I never actually bother getting a chocobo anymore as the Zolom can be out-run through the marsches on foot. Just wait until it hits the far corner and make a run for it.

Yup. Done it. Sometimes I try and beat the Zolom just to see if I'm where I should be level-wise. It almost never matters, though.
Which raises an interesting point - what do the Turks say when you bring Aeris along in the Mythril Cave? As I recall, they specifically ask Cloud where she is.

I actually don't remember. I don't think it's anything special.

Demon's Gate was a bitch my first time through because 7 was my first RPG and I didn't have any idea what I was doing really. It'll be interesting just to see how the fight goes with a level 2 or 3 limit, since I've never gotten even that far with Aeris.

FTR, once you enter ToA, you can't leave 'til it's over, right? And once it ends, Aeris is gone for good? I'm having trouble remembering, as I rarely get that far in my playthroughs.

Also, for FF9, I turned my back forever when you have to split the party up. My party in the area where you can't use magic was all weak mage characters. So I gave up and never looked back.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #1315 on: December 19, 2010, 01:52:19 AM »
So I'm already thinking of a SNES game to play after Chrono Trigger. I'm running on emu btw. I'm thinking between Earthbound and FF6. Which is better?
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1316 on: December 19, 2010, 01:56:13 AM »
So I'm already thinking of a SNES game to play after Chrono Trigger. I'm running on emu btw. I'm thinking between Earthbound and FF6. Which is better?

For some reason, neither ever really clicked with me.

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #1317 on: December 19, 2010, 06:47:04 AM »

FTR, once you enter ToA, you can't leave 'til it's over, right? And once it ends, Aeris is gone for good? I'm having trouble remembering, as I rarely get that far in my playthroughs.

Yeah, she goes off on her own after that and you'll either engage in the Gongaga side-story with Tifa, or you'll skip it as you brought her there straight after the Golden Saucer (optional)

Damn, just thinking about it makes me want to play it again.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1318 on: December 19, 2010, 07:19:16 AM »
What, the monster's between Gizmaluke's Grotto and Burmecia are giving you trouble? How the fuck did you manage to beat Gizmaluke, who wins the award for most disproportionately difficult boss ever, if you can't beat the monsters after him, which are weaksauce compared to the monsters in the grotto?

What is the matter with you?
No, I can't beat the monsters on the way to Gizmaluke's Grotto. They're handing my ass to me on a silver fucking platter.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1319 on: December 19, 2010, 07:27:39 AM »

Also, for FF9, I turned my back forever when you have to split the party up. My party in the area where you can't use magic was all weak mage characters. So I gave up and never looked back.

He specifically told you that magic didn't work there, so that's your own fault, don't blame the game :P

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1320 on: December 19, 2010, 07:33:57 AM »
Yeah, she goes off on her own after that and you'll either engage in the Gongaga side-story with Tifa, or you'll skip it as you brought her there straight after the Golden Saucer (optional)

Gongaga side story? Refresh my memory please  :biggrin:

He specifically told you that magic didn't work there, so that's your own fault, don't blame the game :P

If the dialog weren't so god awfully boring I definitely would have paid more attention.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1321 on: December 19, 2010, 07:35:35 AM »
I wish the story would go somewhere. I know I need to get to the next place, but the story got all interesting with the black mages and we've seen nothing about them since.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #1322 on: December 19, 2010, 07:36:58 AM »
Ive only finishef ff6 and found that to be one of my fav games ever. Earthbound is cool too, you can't go wrong with either.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1323 on: December 19, 2010, 07:38:36 AM »
I wish the story would go somewhere. I know I need to get to the next place, but the story got all interesting with the black mages and we've seen nothing about them since.

Unfortunately there was never one time through FF9's story (as far as I got on disc 3) that really captivated me. I liked the atmosphere and everything, but never once did I actually care what was going on.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1324 on: December 19, 2010, 07:39:31 AM »
Ive only finishef ff6 and found that to be one of my fav games ever. Earthbound is cool too, you can't go wrong with either.

Earthbound is one of the only other games I would put on the same tier of greatness as Chrono Trigger (the other being Silent Hill 2).

...my name is Araragi.

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #1325 on: December 19, 2010, 08:01:19 AM »

Gongaga side story? Refresh my memory please  :biggrin:

Some of the Zack/Aeris angle is explained here. But Cloud isn't much help as he's not yet realised how incredibly fucked up he is right now. (he is essentially emulating Zack himself)

Gongaga is Zack's hometown and you can meet his parents in the little house to the south-east of the village.

You get the best dialogue by bringing Aeris with you here. As she was once Zack's girlfriend. I think bringing Tifa along as well gives you some additional information.

You can do this without Aeris and just Tifa after the ToA implodes, or you can do this in full with Aeris and/or Tifa if you enter Gongaga straight after the Gold Saucer (just after you receive the road vehicle from Dio)

I think it's best to do it straight away as you get to fight Reno and Rude (and steal some shit) Plus you can get Titan Materia and Deathblow here, and also see a scene between Tseng and Scarlet. You will miss all of this (minus the materia) if you decide to wait until after the ToA.

Unfortunately there was never one time through FF9's story (as far as I got on disc 3) that really captivated me. I liked the atmosphere and everything, but never once did I actually care what was going on.

Agree 100 percent. FFIX was just not consistant enough. It had great characters and atmosphere, but was letdown by poor storyline development from Disc 3 onwards. The whole Kuja angle ruined the game, and I was disappointed to see 50% of the world map you were beginning to explore - was nothing more than deserted land.

I think if Disc 3 and 4 were handled with more care, then it would be one of the best in the series.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1326 on: December 19, 2010, 09:30:27 AM »

I honestly think you just have really, really, really bad taste in things just to troll me. There is no possible way that someone could so consistently not like or not get awesome things.

You are going to miss everything cool that ever happens and die angry, unfulfilled, and completely alone, utterly forgotten in a cold room.

May science have mercy on your soul.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1327 on: December 19, 2010, 09:39:59 AM »

I've honestly never had that problem with the game. The story seems to be really present the entire time.

I have, however, had that problem with Final Fantasy IV, but only on my first play.

Offline j

« Reply #1328 on: December 19, 2010, 11:04:11 AM »
I thought the story was great, easily one of the best in the series.  I guess you could say the pacing is a little inconsistent at times, but not significantly so, and I certainly never had any problems with it.  Play it again, fools!

-J

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1329 on: December 19, 2010, 11:05:41 AM »
Anyone who says FFIX has a bad story is dead inside and will never be happy. Ever.