Poll

Pick your favorite game. (Original Series only)

Final Fantasy
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy II
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy III
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy IV (II)
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy V
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy VI (III)
29 (22.1%)
Final Fantasy VII
37 (28.2%)
Final Fantasy VIII
10 (7.6%)
Final Fantasy IX
17 (13%)
Final Fantasy X
13 (9.9%)
Final Fantasy XI
0 (0%)
Final Fantasy XII
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy XIII
3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Author Topic: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread  (Read 177309 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread
« Reply #1575 on: December 18, 2011, 08:52:06 PM »
A friend of mine from another forum is doing a runthrough of all the main series games (omitting XI and XIV and replacing them with X-2 and XIII-2) as a new year's resolution, and I think I'm going to do it too. His rules were basically: No guides, no save states, emulators allowed, must kill final boss to advance to the next one, stuff like that. If anybody else feels like being as deranged as we are, I think it'd be cool to talk about it on DTF (sort of like that Bible in a Year thread in P/R a while back). I'm pretty sure we could just use this thread, but maybe an extra thread would be warranted. Thoughts?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline ehra

« Reply #1576 on: December 18, 2011, 08:54:10 PM »
Don't own all of the games. Don't think I'd want to go through them all at once even if I did.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1577 on: December 18, 2011, 10:56:15 PM »
Yeah, those early games (I through III) would be rough.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1578 on: December 18, 2011, 11:00:46 PM »
Especially II. Ugh. I hate that game.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #1579 on: December 18, 2011, 11:37:19 PM »
I actually liked II. I played the GBA Dawn of Souls version.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1580 on: December 19, 2011, 07:33:06 AM »
II is my favourite Final Fantasy, and still the only one I've played more than once.  GBA and PSP versions.

III for the DS is pretty good, too.  You have to use the party talk feature regularly to really get decent character development, but it's a nice entry into the series.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1581 on: December 25, 2011, 08:37:42 AM »
Well shit, Cid died before I even found a fishing hole.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1582 on: December 28, 2011, 07:42:53 PM »
Just dropping by to say Folmarv from Final Fantasy Tactics looks like Charlie Sheen.

Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1583 on: December 30, 2011, 11:32:33 AM »
Just finished VI.

II
XII
VI
IX
IV
VII
III
XIII
I
VIII
X

My main criticism is that the early game felt a little bit like a random plot, and Ultros was maybe used once or twice too much.  Otherwise, the characters keep it down from the top, I felt less emotional connection to my favourite characters than in any of the other games I have in my top 6.  Great game, though, once you hit WoR everything was clicking beautifully.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1584 on: December 30, 2011, 12:24:59 PM »
Today, I have begun playing FF4. 

I've barely begun, but I've had infinitely more fun thus far than I have had attempting to play FF1

Update: Just burnt that village down and got quaked to some random place.  Still having loads of fun.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 12:56:24 PM by MasterShakezula »

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #1585 on: December 30, 2011, 08:16:45 PM »
Ultros is hilarious. Even just his face is funny.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1586 on: December 30, 2011, 08:39:26 PM »
Yeah, Ultros is awesome. :lol

« Reply #1587 on: December 30, 2011, 11:28:37 PM »
Today, I have begun playing FF4. 

I've barely begun, but I've had infinitely more fun thus far than I have had attempting to play FF1

Update: Just burnt that village down and got quaked to some random place.  Still having loads of fun.
I really like FF4. It was my introduction to JRPG's so it holds a special place in the empty spot where my heart should be.

The DS version is fucking brutal though. Actually, SNES version I remember being really hard too.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1588 on: December 31, 2011, 10:46:21 AM »
I'm now in the town where all those mages are.

Still having a blast.

I'm playing the US SNES version (AKA FFII) so it's WAY easier than FFI.

Question: Are the real FFII and FFIII an improvement over FFI? 

How about the various remakes of FFI?

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1589 on: December 31, 2011, 11:25:09 AM »
Dawn of Sould is a nice way to go, although the PSP version of 2 is superior to that one.  The additions add nice puzzle levels and backstory to the world.

There are thoughts on II and III just a few posts above.

« Reply #1590 on: December 31, 2011, 11:29:41 AM »
Question: Are the real FFII and FFIII an improvement over FFI? 
Everything's an improvement over FFI. That game sucks. It may have been interesting or important 'back in the day' but now it's just a slogging, annoying and pointless grindfest.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1591 on: December 31, 2011, 12:51:46 PM »
I've become a paladin and am about to travel the Serpent Road.

How far in the game am I?

Update: The twins are now statues.  I should be feeling sorry for them, but honesty, they were so useless that 90% of the time they were with me, they were knocked out, so I don't really miss them.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 01:43:37 PM by MasterShakezula »

Offline Snow_Dog

• Wave after wave
« Reply #1592 on: December 31, 2011, 02:44:22 PM »
^ Still got a lot to go yet.

I'm playing through FF I on Dawn of Souls, just for the hell of it. And yeah.... Total grind fest. About level 20 and just got the Mystical Key and spent like 20,000 gil on spells and gear. Can't wait to see how much I have to spend in the next town. I don't know if I'll play through the whole game, depends on how long it is, but so far I'm not really enjoying it. Is II even worth playing if the first seems this bad?

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1593 on: December 31, 2011, 02:48:28 PM »
Never played 2, because trying to play I just made me give up on the first 3 and skip to 4. 

And if you think the version you're playing is a hackfest, try the NES version. 

Or better yet, don't. 

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1594 on: December 31, 2011, 03:20:58 PM »
II is character oriented, a far better game than I.  Some people hate the leveling system, although I think it is one of the highlights if you don't abuse it.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #1595 on: December 31, 2011, 05:09:10 PM »
The Dawn of Souls version of I was too easy, I thought. I never beat the NES version though, but I did play a good amount of it. Not a bad game, since I somewhat enjoy level grinding.

I like II better because it actually has characters, and I had no issues with the much-hated leveling system. I also like III (the DS version), but for some reason I can't get myself to finish it. One day...
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1596 on: January 13, 2012, 08:34:36 AM »
OK, I breezed through V(thankfully).  I'm writing spoilers to V from here out.

Had to be the single most callous entry into the series, at least story and character wise.  At one point, to advance the story, you get a ship, travel across the ocean just to crash it, find a chocobo, fly the bird back to the people that gave you the ship.  They don't care and tell you what you needed was there anyways.

The first world felt like I was playing a FF parody.  You're changing mode of travel so often they partitioned the world in a multitude of different ways, which gave a real odd feeling to the world.  Get a ship, lose it, get a dragon, lose it, get a chocobo, lose it, get a ship, crash it, get a chocobo, abandon it... or something.  The second world was a little better, but the plot in both was still basically the group wanders with no clue what to do while some bizarre event helps them.  If the game had ended at the second world it might have been a better game, by the time the third comes you just went from end game feeling to having to complete a bunch of random dungeons for no reason.  ...and the final dungeon was awfull, if you want the third part of the game to matter to me you have to make me care about the world.  The whole third world was just so blah.

The characters, no development, and the frequent snarkiness just made the group seem absurd.  The only thing I learned about Reina is that she's a suicidal princess.  The Galuf to Krile switch was silly, and Krile got no development until after the game finished(although I guess the ending varies depending on the final fight.  The only significant revelations were in lineage, which was often heavily implied from the start.  Bartz, great, they couldn't develop him, but they gave him a scene of him almost falling off a roof as a kid to show why he's afraid of heights.  Seriously, you finally do something not about his father and we get that?

The job system is nice, though, and I rather like the battle system present in III(DS)-VI.  I did basically enjoy the game, but the story got in the way.  Despite how much I heard about grinding, I really didn't have to.  The jobs were set up nicely that it was more about having the right jobs (after the first world, anyways).  As for the last few bosses, thank the Crystals for $toss.

The thing is, III(DS) is most similar to V, and they smoothed out a lot of the faults for that version.  If you have the choice, III(DS) is a far better option.  V goes down as one of the 3 FF's I'm more likely to rant about.

II
XII
VI
IX
IV

VII
III
XIII
I

VIII
V
X

Also, the PS1Classic version is really buggy on the PSP.  Not going to downgrade it for that, but it was annoying.  Saving was a real pain, the game even froze on me a couple of times while trying to save.

------------------------------------

I also like III (the DS version), but for some reason I can't get myself to finish it. One day...
Just one piece of advice.  When you get to the point of no return.  Turn around, exit the dungeon, and save.  Really wish they added a save point there.  The final sequence of III is one of the most memorable endings to Final Fantasy games.  If you've played Dissidia you somewhat know what's coming.

III, VI, and maybe VII were the three most memorable.  Yuffie mildly degraded Sephiroth for me, her ultimate pretty much allowed her to single handedly take him out with ease.  That was cool in its own way but made Sephiroth seem like a complete chump of a boss. :lol

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #1597 on: January 13, 2012, 11:49:33 AM »
I have to say that I like V a lot (the GBA version). The job system is fun, and I don't demand games to have a totally unique story with lots of character development as long as the gameplay is entertaining. Didn't beat the last boss, though, because I seem to remember him being a pain in the ass. That's the scariest looking tree I've ever seen. :o
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1598 on: January 13, 2012, 11:59:50 AM »
I had 2 samurai's with white magic, a white mage with $toss, and a time mage with $toss.  Holy the crap out of the first form, then just $toss with everyone on the second form.  The time mage was for haste, and meteo was good.  4 X $toss with haste just decimates the second part of that boss.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1599 on: January 13, 2012, 12:18:29 PM »
<---solo vote for the OG FF. First game I ever got on Nintendo. Was so fucking hard when you're 5.

Offline j

« Reply #1600 on: January 13, 2012, 04:56:22 PM »
The thing is, III(DS) is most similar to V, and they smoothed out a lot of the faults for that version.  If you have the choice, III(DS) is a far better option.  V goes down as one of the 3 FF's I'm more likely to rant about.

I disagree, I don't think either III or V had a good story, and V's job system is far, far superior.  I'm with Pols Voice, even though the story was lame, the gameplay was fun enough that I enjoyed it quite a bit.  The GBA version seems to be the definitive one.

<---solo vote for the OG FF. First game I ever got on Nintendo. Was so fucking hard when you're 5.

No shame in that, I was obsessed with it when I was a kid.  I had played Mario, Duck Tales, etc, but there weren't any games remotely similar to Final Fantasy.

-J

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1601 on: January 13, 2012, 06:51:45 PM »
I enjoyed V, I would not have finished otherwise.  My comparison to III is in game and in faults.  They suffer the same faults, but I felt III was smoother around the edges.  For V, the faults just got in the way.  For instance, the speak function in III helped give some life and development to the characters.

What was superior to the job system in V?  I found it really boring that you could switch to a new job and immediately be powerful in it.  Leveling was mostly just for abilities in other classes.  My white mage for the last few boss fights had been a mele class character all the way up to that point, but that posed no problem.  In III, I remember switching classes posed a challenge, I like that better.  III felt like growth, and sticking to a job meaningful.  V felt like costumes, no real need for thought or planning ahead, using weak classes for your party was often an advantage, to get stronger ability commands.  I'll take III's any day.

In my ranking, III is in the group I really enjoyed but had major criticisms.  While playing those I mostly shrugged off the problems.  V is in the group where I thought the flaws really hurt the experience, but I did enjoy VIII, V, and X.

Offline Snow_Dog

• Wave after wave
« Reply #1602 on: January 17, 2012, 08:51:34 PM »
Finished FF I just a few minutes ago. Took me a little over 13 hours, and I didn't absolutely hate it in the end, but was mostly playing it for the hell of it anyway. Wayyyyy too many random battles in that game though, and yeah I get it's a FF game, but by the end 2, almost 3 characters had max HP / MP, because you get into battles every 2 - 3 steps and once you get passed the first boss of the game, pretty much everything dies in one hit save for some bosses and nothing really does a lot of damage to your party provided you're keeping up with all the armour upgrades until the final boss.

At least that's what it was like in the Dawn of Souls version, I'm sure the NES version is probably 1000 times harder, but I have absolutely no desire to play that one. Oh well, checking out II soon.

Offline Knights

« Reply #1603 on: January 22, 2012, 06:05:10 PM »
Is anyone actualy excited about XIII-2? It comes out pretty soon and there has been literaly no hype for it what so ever...personaly I hated XIII so XIII-2 will be a definate pass for me.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1604 on: January 23, 2012, 06:54:44 AM »
No.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1605 on: January 23, 2012, 08:00:08 AM »
I'm not particularly excited for it, but I did preorder it.  Two years ago this would have been a wait until cheap title or skip.  Most of what I've heard has not been appealing, and XIII is one of the weaker FF's.  I think this is going to be a repeat of X-2, lots of improvements over the original but tons of obnoxious steps back.

However, I'm at a point in life where playing new series isn't so appealing, and I can get two or three console games as day one releases a year.  ...Assassin's Creed 3 is the only other game I know this year that I'll be getting, so I might as well go for this.  Most of any gaming I do this year will be old favourites, I think.  If this has a smooth battle system, which XIII did, and the world is more open like in the end of XIII I'll be happy.

Offline Cable

« Reply #1606 on: January 23, 2012, 03:29:35 PM »
Finished FF I just a few minutes ago. Took me a little over 13 hours, and I didn't absolutely hate it in the end, but was mostly playing it for the hell of it anyway. Wayyyyy too many random battles in that game though, and yeah I get it's a FF game, but by the end 2, almost 3 characters had max HP / MP, because you get into battles every 2 - 3 steps and once you get passed the first boss of the game, pretty much everything dies in one hit save for some bosses and nothing really does a lot of damage to your party provided you're keeping up with all the armour upgrades until the final boss.

At least that's what it was like in the Dawn of Souls version, I'm sure the NES version is probably 1000 times harder, but I have absolutely no desire to play that one. Oh well, checking out II soon.

I have not played the GBA DoS FFI, but yeah, the NES version is VERY hard. I bought the port on the Wii VC, and I think it is a direct rip of the original NES version. The game does back off before the 1st elemental fiend really. But the Marsh Cave is a bitch... some of it comes down to luck unless characters have super high levels. That, and my brother and I would always get the floater for the airship and age our characters at Bahamut before the second elemental fiend. So that never made it easy.

But right after getting the pirate ship, things are torture. And even throughout the game, often people die and need to be revived. That is especially a chore in the beginning when there is no life spell yet.
---

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1607 on: January 31, 2012, 05:35:22 PM »
Got XIII-2 today, and I'm really enjoying it. I liked XIII, but this is way better. The battle system is just as smooth and satisfying as ever, and while the dialogue is still cheesy, they do a good job of making it so you don't have to read the datalog to understand what's going on (though I'd still recommend giving it a read). The game's much less linear, and it's kind of playing like Chrono Trigger with the whole time travel aspect.

I'll have more thoughts as I go on, but I'm loving it so far.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1608 on: January 31, 2012, 09:05:43 PM »
I doubt I got as far as you, but my initial thoughts are fairly positive, too.

The setup for the story was a lot better than I expected.  It is rather odd as a sequel, but it seems alright to drive the game.  If the game is open ended from the start a loose fitting story is fine by me so long as it isn't obnoxious and provides an end goal.  So far its good to go there.

The battle encounters seem like a really nice system.  While I like enemies on the field, this is a pretty cool approach to random battles.  Quick decisions can eliminate the annoying aspects of random battles.

I don't think I'm going to like the moogle always there, we'll see.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1609 on: February 01, 2012, 07:54:09 AM »
I had a fangasm as soon as the moogle showed up. I'm guessing it was in response to XIII-haters saying there wasn't enough reference to the overarching mythos of the FF universe. Riding on Chocobos is fucking awesome too.

I have to go to class now, but the next time period I get to go to is 200 AF. Time travel FTW